• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

HowZatOZ

Banned
The start felt a bit slow, but I'm presuming that was just a story intro/tutorial side effect. God damn this game is gory, and really messed up.

So at the start of chapter 5
when you've just defied gravity and is walking through that long hallway with some rooms with loot in and enemies that dissapear, and one invisible guy at the end of it. the last patient room to the left has the walls covered entirely in red curtains, and some woman laughing almust a bit seductively. Anybody got an idea what this could be? I'm getting the feel several of the areas in this game has some kind of story to them that can be puzzled together, or maybe im just being too tinfoil-hat-ish. Anybody?

ChrisV

I'm officially stuck in chapter 6 and I need help!
Chainsaw dude. I have 7 bullets in my handgun, 2 grenades, a harpoon bolt, a flash bolt and a freeze bolt. I stun him with the flash, sneak attack stab in the back. Headshot with the harpoon bolt, freeze him with the freeze bolt, 2 grenades at his feet, and then empty the 7 bullets into him and he still doesn't die. I scoured the level for ammo and there's 2 handgun bullets and that's in. Any help?

-MD-

I'm at chapter 3 and I'm not feeling the checkpoint/save system at all. It feels like the save points are so rare and the checkpoints are annoying because I have to go and recollect any item I spent 30 minutes finding again. Just annoying. And I don't like the black borders at all. Should have gone for the PC version but ahh, got sucked in by the hype and wanted to actually play something on the damn thing.

I had said this yesterday but chapter 3 fed me a checkpoint every 2-3 kills, every 5 minutes or so it seemed like.

I feel like the checkpoints are very generous in this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I also had checkpoint issues in chapter three. I didn't realise I hadn't looked at the chain and spent fifteen minutes combing through the environment, only to realise I needed to hit the magic trigger.

ZOMB
BOMB

NO NUKES
NO GUNS
FIGHT
BY
HUMAN

I wouldn't be mad if that was Mikami's next game, the poster image looks amazing in a Japanese underground film sort of way!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the game checkpointed me before a boss when I didn't have anywhere near enough ammo to deal with it and I had to restart the whole chapter.

It's... it's not a fantastic system.

-MD-

What difficulty is everyone playing on?

Survivor since that was the highest available =/

Wanted to play on hard for my first playthrough but Mikami shot me down.

Chainsaw dude. I have 7 bullets in my handgun, 2 grenades, a harpoon bolt, a flash bolt and a freeze bolt. I stun him with the flash, sneak attack stab in the back. Headshot with the harpoon bolt, freeze him with the freeze bolt, 2 grenades at his feet, and then empty the 7 bullets into him and he still doesn't die. I scoured the level for ammo and there's 2 handgun bullets and that's in. Any help?

Do you have any spare parts to craft more bolts in your inventory? If not restarting the chapter is always an option.

I had said this yesterday but chapter 3 fed me a checkpoint every 2-3 kills, every 5 minutes or so it felt like.

It did with me too. Problem was the enemies didn't seem to stay dead until I killed the
chainsaw dude
. So the ammo I used up kept getting saved but not the kills. Ended up having to restart the chapter because I'd used all my ammo before taking him on.

Oh and I'm playing on survival.

Any flameable cans left you can lure him to and then shoot? Don't forget you can also kick those cans. There should be one outside the boss area, coming from the right entrance (where you go down a ladder). Take that one with you when you enter the boss room.
Also, there should be more harpoon bolts lying around in the same corner where you find the handgun bullets.

In case you missed that too:
Activate the generator to enable the switches for the two doors and open the left one.

Arkanius

I just got scared shitless for the first time

Chapter 4 question

Entered the mirror and it was all dark, I followed the Nurse to the corridor and a door opened and I had a voice saying "No, don't go that way". Inside the cell was someone... then I was thrown into normal Mirror world

The fuck just happened?

-MD-

It did with me too. Problem was the enemies didn't seem to stay dead until I killed the chainsaw man. So the ammo I used up kept getting saved but not the kills. Ended up having to restart the chapter because I'd used all my ammo before taking him on.

They definitely stayed dead for me, I cleared the entire area before triggering it. A few extras spawn though once the fight starts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stuck at the same spot right now. :(

Major spoilers:
It's hard to say, Ruvik does die and he is a bad guy, but there's major hints he wasn't the true villain and there's far more at work here. Ruvik was basically dead since the game's beginning, only his brain was being kept alive by an unknown organization that was manipulating him and betrayed him for his research. He tired to get revenge, but basically every villain except Ruvik and the doctor got away which hints there may be worse things to come.

Sebastian does manage to survive, but it's questionable if he's alright or not. It also can be read into in the end that Sebastian hasn't escape the world he's in, which is a different plane of reality. He may be stuck in the alternate plane of existence, but maybe that's how he prefers it as there are hints Sebastian was trying to escape reality anyway. Or maybe he is back in reality but see's things from the other reality, so something like stuck between worlds.

So what was the deal with the double awakening? and also what about all the costant missing people, etc
I'm still trying to wrap my brain up around it.

Taruranto

Are you building more arrows? I don't remember having any problems with ammos during bosses ever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Are you building more arrows? I don't remember having any problems with ammos during bosses ever.
During that moment, the game *will* checkpoint you without enough ammo. You need melee and prayer to beat him. Or a chapter restart, which is looking more and more likely.

ChuckNyce

I'm at chapter 3 and I'm not feeling the checkpoint/save system at all. It feels like the save points are so rare and the checkpoints are annoying because I have to go and recollect any item I spent 30 minutes finding again. Just annoying. And I don't like the black borders at all. Should have gone for the PC version but ahh, got sucked in by the hype and wanted to actually play something on the damn thing.

...But despite that wall of complaints I like it fairly well. Just wish the checkpoints were more reasonable than one every 30 minutes. I have to sleep sometime, video games. But this could be because of my playstyle, which is trying to sneak around and collect everything. May try to be more rambo next time I play.

Man it sure would be nice if the PS4 would allow us to suspend our play session and resume it whenever we wanted to...

Sony pls...

Ledhead

Finished chapter 3 last night.

Managed to take out the big chainsaw bastard by nadding him from the second floor of the barn, and burning him with some haystacks. Only took him out after a few tries though. Also, Castellanos' Alan Wake level stamina is laughable

Taruranto

During that moment, the game *will* checkpoint you without enough ammo. You need melee and prayer to beat him. Or a chapter restart, which is looking more and more likely.

Dunno, as I said I never had to restart a chapter, I always had enough ammos for bosses.

As I said, are you guys abusing and building explosives arrows? Shit is OP.

Gurish

Can anyone tell me what i can do with a torch? Is it an instant-kill if i use melee with it on an enemy?

And do you suggest always using matches when i see seemingly dead enemies lying around?

They are known, look at their own post on the fucking site. They are already looking into 60 fps issues, bitching in the OT topic is the wrong place to complain. If your goal is to inform the devs you are in the wrong spot and doing a terrible job.
Look I know you love the game, but talking about, yes even complaining, about the game makes sense here. We are talking about the game in its natural state and information is important.

ChrisV

Yea. I had 2 parts and built the flash arrow to stun him. I think I'm just gonna have to restart and be more conservative. There were so many enemies and ammo drops, I just blasted through them, thinking once I beat them, I was in the clear. I'm a moron. Haha!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My last few posts here have been fairly negative, because I'm currently up against a bit of a roadblock and I haven't been feeling well, but while I'm thinking about it: the chapter five boss-fight was awesome. Hell, chapter five in general was so, so much better than everything that preceded it. I'm looking forward to seeing where else they go with it.

Feindflug

I just wanted to say that chapter 5 was completely amazing from start to finish.

Especially the first part of the chapter with
the invisible enemies
must be one of the best realized and designed levels I've seen in a game ever. Masterful game design in all fronts.

Made it to chapter 13. I thought that the worst chapter was 6 but nope Chapter 11 is. Chapter 12 is an easier Chapter 11. Played way many hours today and went from ch 6 to ch 13 so maybe i'll take a break tomorrow

The action-shooting part of this game is totally the worst. Why build entire chapters around it Mikami?

Xpliskin

"Rollercoaster" doesn't come close to describe this game.

"Hey you're in the
mountains
. JUST KIDDING you're in a
Butcher SHOP
ha ha ha"

The only thing missing is
Ruvik
saying "Mr. Castelanos. We missed you." everytime he appears.

tumblr_m9rm7pGlEm1resbypo1_500.jpg

By the way, I heard some outlet gave it 2/10.
How the hell ? He played chapter 1 then stopped ?
Art along propel the game to a 7.
It's like Concep Art: The Game.

Question about chapter 7, please don't open the spoiler unless you already played it.

If you go through the door on the right (after placing the first stone key) you can find a place where enemies come out of a door while you are opening another. After dispatching the enemies if you go through the door there's poison fog and a flight of stairs. Question is, how do I get rid of the poison fog so I can see what is after the stairs? I know that it's not required to advance, but I guess there's a key or some other stuff, because it's a pretty big area.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there a way to force the dead space stomp instead of his punch attack?

Also do trap parts do anything aside from make arrows? I've been sitting on them for awhile.

Top Bottom