• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Taruranto

Question about chapter 7, please don't open the spoiler unless you already played it.

If you go through the door on the right (after placing the first stone key) you can find a place where enemies come out of a door while you are opening another. After dispatching the enemies if you go through the door there's poison fog and a flight of stairs. Question is, how do I get rid of the poison fog so I can see what is after the stairs? I know that it's not required to advance, but I guess there's a key or some other stuff, because it's a pretty big area.

Do the second stone.

Question about chapter 7, please don't open the spoiler unless you already played it.

If you go through the door on the right (after placing the first stone key) you can find a place where enemies come out of a door while you are opening another. After dispatching the enemies if you go through the door there's poison fog and a flight of stairs. Question is, how do I get rid of the poison fog so I can see what is after the stairs? I know that it's not required to advance, but I guess there's a key or some other stuff, because it's a pretty big area.

I think that's
the other area of the second stone were you have to close valves which control the poison fog

Xpliskin

rs_500x282-140711123815-insta.gif

rs_500x282-140711135159-insta.gif

rs_500x282-140711141148-insta.gif

I know what's up, The Evil Within is a new Old Spice ad.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just finished it. End game timer said 10:37. And no i did not rush.

It was pretty good but doesn't come even remotely close to RE4. Some parts were really frustrating and downright stupid, main character was extremely underdeveloped and boring but overall i enjoyed it.

I will probably play the DLC.

You'll be going there soon if I remember correctly!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
really enjoying the game, up to chapter 5. thank god I played RE4 recently and not years ago so I dont look at it with the rose tinted glasses many people do. It was good, and probably one of he best RE games (REmake still shits all over it imo) but good lord at the "BEST GAME EVER OMG ITS SO SCARY" comments about it :/

-MD-

really enjoying the game, up to chapter 5. thank god I played RE4 recently and not years ago so I dont look at it with the rose tinted glasses many people do. It was good, and probably one of he best RE games (REmake still shits all over it imo) but good lord at the "BEST GAME EVER OMG ITS SO SCARY" comments about it :/

I like this post.

Ugh, not a fan of Ch 11 so far.

Enemies with
Machine Guns
. WHY MIKAMI WHY?

Exactly! Not only the entire chapter is based on
action shooting but also the controls(at least on a DS4) don't help at all! I am playing on survivor by the way. Also chapter 12 is easier than 11

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I too tired to pull this section off last night but I want to make sure I have a proper plan of attack in chapter 3.
I'm trying to lure the chainsaw guy into cutting the chain, right? I'm not trying to kill him?

I too tired to pull this section off last night but I want to make sure I have a proper plan of attack in chapter 3.
I'm trying to lure the chainsaw guy into cutting the chain, right? I'm not trying to kill him?

You want the chainsaw, the big guy is too stupid to cut the chain himself.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

I don't think that's possible. I killed him and took his chainsaw to cut the chain.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

No, you want to kill him. This is one time where there isn't super gamey logic since you can just use a chainsaw yourself, lol

Andrew.

Banned

Dude. It's time to put those big boy pants on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You want the chainsaw, the big guy is too stupid to cut the chain himself.

You MUST kill him.

No you are not and it doesn't work

I don't think that's possible. I killed him and took his chainsaw to cut the chain.

No, you want to kill him. This is one time where there isn't super gamey logic since you can just use a chainsaw yourself, lol

Dude. It's time to put those big boy pants on.
I'm really glad I asked instead of wasting my time :LOL

Anyone got any protips for me? I''ve got absolutely no ammo 90% of the time. In Resi and other games I've always conserved pretty well, but in this I'm always down to a few bullets. It's like TLOU on Survivor, but on the normal mode. Bequeath me your tips!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

oh shit, so im a third of the way through more or less, not half :)

Anyone got any protips for me? I''ve got absolutely no ammo 90% of the time. In Resi and other games I've always conserved pretty well, but in this I'm always down to a few bullets. It's like TLOU on Survivor, but on the normal mode. Bequeath me your tips!

stealth kills, if zombies fall down (you can shoot their legs like in RE4) spring to them and burn them for insta kill, torches and hatchets are also insta kill on normal enemies, abuse the aoe of the
fire arrows

and this is a biggie which I just found out on chapter 5 and drove me nuts,
SHOOT THE LADY STATUES. you know those statues you ocasionally find, shoot them and you get a key, whcih you can use in the mirror rooms for ammo and shit

I am terribly frustrated with this. The game keeps crashing right after the beginning of chapter 2 (a moment after I sign the guestbook). Goes back to ps4 and says that the data was corrupted, and that the game needs to be reinstalled. But if I delete it and reinstall it (or even, delete it, delete a few other games with the hope it reinstalls at a different location), and reinstall it, crashes on the same spot. Also odd is that the download counter seems to go up to 4gigs, but the game take 30gigs or so on disk. Can't seem to find a fix, or anyone else with the same problem. Since it's always exactly the same spot, after a re-download, I doubt it's the hard disk which is causing an issue.
Only unusual thing, I am downloading the US game from a UK location. I doubt that would cause a bug, though.

But I am very disappointed :(

Shoot for leg -> burn
Kick door into them -> burn
Lead enemies into traps
Dismantle traps to craft crossbow bolts
Run away, hide, sneak kill
Throw bottle at them to stun -> sneak kill
Crossbow flash bolt -> sneak kill
Maximize splash damage from matches, explosive bolts, grenades, etc
Always make sure to pick up axes and torches from downed enemies. They kill in one hit (usually).

Sanctuary

They definitely stayed dead for me, I cleared the entire area before triggering it. A few extras spawn though once the fight starts.

They actually spawn before you fight him. Three or four appear near the start of the level and wander to the center and disperse and I think one or two respawn in the house with the closet and bed upstairs.

Digital Foundry analysis:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

'As it stands the results aren't looking great for either console but the PS4 version takes the lead for the moment with its higher resolution and smoother update when running at 30fps. It is odd that certain scenes do operate with a slight advantage on Xbox One, however, and we'll have to play further to see how the game trends in later sections. Anyone sensitive to frame-rate issues is going to have an issue playing this game and should probably go for the PC version provided one has the specs to handle it'

Huh, so the PS4 version is the one to get on consoles after all despite the earlier concerns in here.

aravuus

Ugh, not a fan of Ch 11 so far.

Enemies with
Machine Guns
. WHY MIKAMI WHY?

Yep, like someone just said, I thought ch6 was the worst one but nope, ch11 takes the cake so far.
Annoying swimming parts and goddamn armed zombies.

The area is really cool though

Are you playing on casual or survivor?

Upgrade as soon as possible your accuracy and stamina. Also critical helps

Search every corner,drawer, smash every box

Stealth kill were you can

Disarm traps so that you can have ammo for your
crossbow

If there are flammable sources or corpses lure other enemies close to them and burn them both

Always aim for the head

:OPTIONAL:

I've fully upgraded my meele attack and i litteraly kill some enemies with just my punches (6-7 punches) also the last hit always results in making the enemy's head explode!

Agreed. I played it then and I played it when it released on Xbox live. Still prefer TEW because of the horror mindfuck atmospheric focus of it all, alot of variety and how Seb plays like a fragile, weak human being who can get abit stronger with upgrades. If we were to compare TEW to REmake then I'd prefer REmake. No question about that. Can't wait till that game releases in HD.

Chapter 6.
Damn, this chapter was great. New great looking environments,a new weapon and some really fun encounters, the games got better and better since chapter 3 looking forward to some of the later chapters that people are speaking highly of.

Sanctuary

I don't think I've used a single hiding spot yet.

Err, seriously?
Not even in chapter 1?

I've fully upgraded my meele attack and i litteraly kill some enemies with just my punches (6-7 punches) also the last hit always results in making the enemy's head explode!

Sounds like a waste when it takes that many punches. Even if you get lucky and shoot them to the ground in one shot they still won't be dead before getting up. That might be okay on normal, but on Nightmare+ you'll just be losing health to save a bullet or two and it won't work at all in Akumu mode.

HOLLLEEEEE SHIIIIT this chap 12
bus driving segment is super fucking janky, like the zombies are literally popping in 5 feet in front of the bus.
WOW

and this is a biggie which I just found out on chapter 5 and drove me nuts,
SHOOT THE LADY STATUES. you know those statues you ocasionally find, shoot them and you get a key, whcih you can use in the mirror rooms for ammo and shit

If they are near, melee them so you save on ammo.
;)

Bah, haven't been able to play today. Fuckin' term paper. I'm at the start of Chapter 7>_<

REALLY hoping a patch comes to adjust PS4 framerate, FOV, letterboxing, or any combination of that stuff. Game's too well-designed to have these issues.

Top Bottom