• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Jyester

Finished chapter 5 today. Glad to say c3-5 prove to be much more fun than yesterday's session, when I played until the end of c2. The combat is very satisfying. I find myself hardly using stealth. Ammo is sparse, but after c3 I've been able to kill everything I encounter. Feels good.

At this point, my biggest complaint is that the characters are extremely underwhelming. Nobody really seems too startled by what's happening. No sense of urgency evoked by Sebastian or anyone. Sebastian hardly even speaks. Very enjoyable regardless.

Yup. Apparently the recent PS4 patch helped. Slasher tried the X1 version and he said the part with the
doctor in CH4
ran smoother than the PS4 version but in general the PS4 looks to be better.

Huh? Really?. Well i didn't bother with PS4 framerate drops 'cause i was always going slow and stealthy, BUT in Chapter 7 with the
Keeper boss fight
was the first time that it actually bothered me cause i was running. It was also the first
boss fight
so far that i had framedrops

Finished chapter 5 today. Glad to say c3-5 prove to be much more fun than yesterday's session, when I played until the end of c2. The combat is very satisfying. I find myself hardly using stealth. Ammo is sparse, but after c3 I've been able to kill everything I encounter. Feels good.

Welp..you are going to love Chapter 6

Yup. Apparently the recent PS4 patch helped. Slasher tried the X1 version and he said the part with the
doctor in CH4
ran smoother than the PS4 version but in general the PS4 looks to be better.

Yep. Tried same part this morning on PS4 again. Def seemed just a tad more off, but really... Game runs decent most the game on both consoles. Just not consistent at all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Watching six guys run into a electric bolt, only to all go up in flames with one of my matches... perfection

Hrmmm, seems like I've been getting much more ammo my revolver since I've upgraded my storage capacity to 50. I used to get around 1-2 bullets per drop and now I'm getting 3-4.

Scrawnton

Just finished chapter five. The game is pretty darn good outside of frame rate and performance hiccups.

The story is still somewhat confusing.. Though..
i feel it is obvious from the jumping around and saving in a mental hospital that the main character is insane. Maybe it ends up being he is haunted by the demons of the cases he could not solve as a detective? I don't know..

I would sum this game up as being a video game rendition of Shutter Island, that's so far after playing for five chapters.

Just finished chapter five. The game is pretty darn good outside of frame rate and performance hiccups.

The story is still somewhat confusing.. Though..
i feel it is obvious from the jumping around and saving in a mental hospital that the main character is insane. Maybe it ends up being he is haunted by the demons of the cases he could not solve as a detective? I don't know..

I would sum this game up as being a video game rendition of Shutter Island, that's so far after playing for five chapters.
Ha ha just keep playing it starts getting spelled out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Playing Akumu right now, in Chapter 1, the chainsaw evade section is so much harder. He runs faster, spots you easier, and you actually have to lure him instead of just book it as there are crates blocking your way you need to make him destroy.

(And streaming it here: http://www.hitbox.tv/AestheticGamer )

L.O.R.D

ok, i can't complete the game
its too scary
the last game did that to me was siren on PS3

i need to play more happy game, like DR3 or saints row 4

Arkanius

I'm at complete loss on what to upgrade
Starting chapter 5, I've upgraded my running speed, matches carrying capacity and one lvl in Health Gauge.

What else should I invest in?
Any weapon damage?

More carrying capacity? (It feels so bad leaving provisions behind)

Scrawnton

Starting chapter 5, I've upgraded my running speed, matches carrying capacity and one lvl in Health Gauge.

Any weapon damage?

In chapter four I focuses on upping how much pistol and shotgun ammo I could hold. It's very useful! I should've done that first. I went health and heal pack healing first.

Any weapon damage?

Definitely capacity update flash bolts blind time to maximize the number of stealth kills you can do in a mob

Sounds like a waste when it takes that many punches. Even if you get lucky and shoot them to the ground in one shot they still won't be dead before getting up. That might be okay on normal, but on Nightmare+ you'll just be losing health to save a bullet or two and it won't work at all in Akumu mode.

It's practical and has saved me a lot of ammo. It also works best on 1 vs 1 fight. You punch the enemy and is making that got-hit animation. In that animation you deliver a second punch. He will counter attack and you'll avoid it. Repeat. It's actually 2 hits per attack (or 3 sometimes) and as i said it needs 6-7 hits

ok, i can't complete the game
its too scary
the last game did that to me was siren on PS3

i need to play more happy game, like DR3 or saints row 4

What chapter? I'm up to chapter 7 and haven't jumped a single time despite being really fucking jumpy. Atmosphere is more cool than scary imo.

Reedirect

Chapter 7 now and I feel that this as close as we'll ever come to recreating RE4. Shame is that the similarities are so blatant that most people will just feel the need to compare the incomparable. Game is fantastic so far.

Chapter 7 now and I feel that this as close as we'll ever come to recreating RE4. Shame is that the similarities are so blatant that most people will just feel the need to compare the incomparable. Game is fantastic so far.

I never expected TEW to be as good as RE4. I just wanted another game to give me the same feels after 10 years or whatever and it's doing that pretty well so far.

Playing Akumu right now, in Chapter 1, the chainsaw evade section is so much harder. He runs faster, spots you easier, and you actually have to lure him instead of just book it as there are crates blocking your way you need to make him destroy.

(And streaming it here: http://www.hitbox.tv/AestheticGamer )

Damn exciting. Can't wait to try it out myself, in the mean time i'll hear more from your impressions for now.

Xpliskin

True.

I like to think of this as Ride to Hell: Retribution 2: The Evil Within

Not sure, they're still trying for some odd reason.

Look at this OT gaffer drive-by
Look at it.

Chapter 6:

I swear I could hear "Tetras te ti imbecile" "Cabron" and shit in that rifle section. It really felt like RE4-2 after all these years.
The "I dropped my glasses" part, lol. There's a rabid amataresu straight out of thriller bark and they just walk casually towards the church brushing it off.

EDIT:
THAT UGLY GIANT, WHAT THE HELL. THEN THERE'S A SECOND ONE.

Also, melee becomes slightly overpowered on the 3rd upgrade. Still not RE4 though.

The controls really show their jankyness when you get into harder situations, just trying to run away or avoid swarms of enemies can be frustrating

Also I'm playing PC with a controller but I think I'mma have to switch to mouse and keyboard just so I can actually land headshots.

L.O.R.D

What chapter? I'm up to chapter 7 and haven't jumped a single time despite being really fucking jumpy. Atmosphere is more cool than scary imo.

chapter 3 , i am noob in horror games
i take too much times in those games
i remember i took about 3-4 month to finish RE2 ( i have RE1 first and got stuck in the mansion because i couldn't find a key to open a certain door , so i skipped it , i returned to it after completing RE3 )
every game in save record about 23 hour for 1 game , used a lot of inks

The controls really show their jankyness when you get into harder situations, just trying to run away or avoid swarms of enemies can be frustrating

Also I'm playing PC with a controller but I think I'mma have to switch to mouse and keyboard just so I can actually land headshots.

Yup. I learned that the hard way with chapters 6,11 and 12...

Jawmuncher

Look at this OT gaffer drive-by
Look at it.

Chapter 6:

I swear I could hear "Tetras te ti imbecile" "Cabron" and shit in that rifle section. It really felt like RE4-2 after all these years.
The "I dropped my glasses" part, lol. There's a rabid amataresu straight out of thriller bark and they just walk casually towards the church brushing it off.

Also, melee becomes slightly overpowered on the 3rd upgrade. Still not RE4 though.

Looks like that's where i'll be going next.

aravuus

Haha, managed to hit a foe with a freeze bolt just as he was falling of a ledge, literally froze mid-fall a couple of meters from the ground for a few seconds.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

They actually got me with the two jump scares they've had so far.

Chapter 4 intro having some random ghost lady on fire burst through a door, and chapter 5 shortly after getting joseph out of the bathtub had a room full of lockers and one of them had a dead guy in it.

fucking game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just finished Ch. 12, overall i didn't like it very much.
Too much action, although mowing down those zombies with the .50 caliber felt so satisfying.

They actually got me with the two jump scares they've had so far.

Chapter 4 intro having some random ghost lady on fire burst through a door, and chapter 5 shortly after getting joseph out of the bathtub had a room full of lockers and one of them had a dead guy in it.

fucking game.

That first one was *this* close to getting me
(same with dead guy coming back to life when digging in him for the keys)
and I was expecting the second one so hard. Dead Space has trained me well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That first one was *this* close to getting me
(same with dead guy coming back to life when digging in him for the keys)
and I was expecting the second one so hard. Dead Space has trained me well.

I should have seen the second one coming since that room was sketchy as fuck. I was fully expecting the one in your spoiler though, lol.

Jawmuncher

Just beat chapter 6.
So far I have loved the art direction in the game.
Though I haven't found anything scary though. Then again it's hard to make a game scary to me, if you have anyway to defend yourself and actual control.

I should have seen the second one coming since that room was sketchy as fuck. I was fully expecting the one in your spoiler though, lol.

I guess those two kind of rode the line. They definitely startled me but not quite enough to get a jump. I thought I was pretty jumpy but maybe I'm getting over that, idk.

...which is fine, because fuck jump scares.

Yibby

Any weapon damage?

I would not upgrade health and the medkit. You often die with 1 hit from bosses anyway, so your normal HP is enough. You can also find
big healthpacks that increase your HP permanetly
I started with running Speed, then maxed the normal crossbow bolt to get +240% and firedmg. It takes a while to get 50k ooze but it's worth it. Ignite some bosses for mini-stuns and 2 shot bigger enemies.
Ammo capacity and more dmg + crit for weapons is also nice. Didn't upgrade the rate of fire or reload Speed. Only the dmg.

Was surprised this game wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, however it retains the intensity of RE4 that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Yeah it's very tense. I really want to play more but I realized I was grinding my teeth while I was playing earlier so I think I need a break.

Any weapon damage?

I would focus on beefing up your...

-Handgun accuracy and critical %
-Shotgun damage
-One level each of handgun and shotgun carrying capacity
-Flash Bolt stun time (this is a lifesaver - go for sneak kills while they're stunned)
-Explosive Bolt damage

Melee is also an option if you want to play that way.

kodecraft

Finished chapter 3 last night.

Managed to take out the big chainsaw bastard by nadding him from the second floor of the barn, and burning him with some haystacks. Only took him out after a few tries though. Also, Castellanos' Alan Wake level stamina is laughable

Soon as he burst through the barn yard, I equipped the explosive arrows, shot him 3 times, he dropped everything he had....checkpoint!

In chapter 2 I stumbled on a few dead bodies when walking through the buildings. Do you really need to burn those bodies to or is it a waste of matches?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just beat chapter 6.
So far I have loved the art direction in the game.
Though I haven't found anything scary though. Then again it's hard to make a game scary to me, if you have anyway to defend yourself and actual control.

are...are you just a figment of my imagination? are you just my split personality alt account? thats exacty my problem aswell!

I think alt accounts are banable here tho, uh oh

Jawmuncher

Damn, seems like they didn't bother with the PS3/360 versions at all and just downgraded everything. I think even RE4 on gamecube looks better than that. Won't buy that shit.

Honestly if that's all you have they don't look that bad if you ask me.
360 wins out over PS3 though.

are...are you just a figment of my imagination? are you just my split personality alt account? thats exacty my problem aswell!

I think alt accounts are banable here tho, uh oh

You better stop talking to yourself then.

I'm about to blow everyone's mind....you ready?:

Map piece one is located....
RIGHT BEHIND THE FUCKING UPGRADE CHAIR
No clue how I missed that so many times.

Daximuss

Do enemies increase in numbers or spawn in different areas when you either, start a new playthrough on a higher difficulty or play new game plus?

Nibel

Fucking chapter 10.

e6jw7mk.png

Non-stop climax action, man. I'm now at the middle of chapter 11 and will continue tomorrow, but so far it feels like a quality drop compared to the previous ones.

After playing more and more, I must say that the game has its fair share of issues. It really is janky, especially when you try to pick shit up. The weirdest thing that has happen so far was in the chapter where you fight
the Keeper
: instead of using the valve, I was able to get on it and Sebastian was standing on it. Hit detection is way too strict, sometimes you miss by millimeters and it won't count. Melee is useless.

There are times where it truly feels perfect and like the RE4 successor we deserve, but those are often very short moments. I don't know how to put it, but it feels very western instead of very Japanese.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy my time with it and am just glad that it exists. This is the closest I can get to my defintion of third-person survival horror, especially since RE5+6 and Dead Space jumped the gun. The formula they have is interesting and needs to be ironed out; I expect great things from a sequel.

Also: I've been reading the last few pages and man I can't remember such hostility in a OT since forever. The hyperbole thrown around is embarrassing on all sides. It's really disappointing.

Top Bottom