• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Nonetheless, I still enjoy my time with it and am just glad that it exists. This is the closest I can get to my defintion of third-person survival horror, especially since RE5+6 and Dead Space jumped the gun. The formula they have is interesting and needs to be ironed out; I expect great things from a sequel.

Exactly. This game is scratching dat itch so damn good for me.

ST2K

Finished Chapter 3 and used up all my ammo in the climax of said chapter. I hope they are less stingy with ammo as this game continues.

Chapter15 18 hours in (I scour every nook and cranny and kill everything if possible!) Onward towards the conclusion!

I'm about to blow everyone's mind....you ready?:

Map piece one is located....
RIGHT BEHIND THE FUCKING UPGRADE CHAIR
No clue how I missed that so many times.
Mind blown.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
oh my god chapter 6

image.php
image.php
image.php

-Freeze Bolt -> Melee is ridiculously satisfying
-Joseph is MVP as hell

I noticed right from the chapter start the camera is pulled out more ala RE4 too.

Don't think it's a case of adding better grips or anything. I just can't stand trying to do precision aiming with a controller. Analog sticks are really sluggish and imprecise compared to a mouse and I'm way out of practice with them.

WASD sucks for movement in games like this but it's better than missing several headshots :p

-Joseph is MVP as hell

haha yep! I kept luring enemies to him and he just destroyed them

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Few more notes about Akumu difficulty:

-Obviously enemies kill you in one hit, but also they are RELENTLESS, they almost always sprint at you if they spot you and are faster than normal, able to run almost as fast as you, and they will keep up the chase for far longer.

-Enemies can spot you MUCH better, I got spotted in instances on normal they would of not spotted me.

-Sometimes when burning a Haunted, the enemy will get up while on fire and run at you to try and grab you before they burn away.

-A LOT more enemies in new places.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Don't think it's a case of adding better grips or anything. I just can't stand trying to do precision aiming with a controller. Analog sticks are really sluggish and imprecise compared to a mouse and I'm way out of practice with them.

I grew up with the controller, so it's my preferred choice. I think it allows you to control each shot instead of allowing such an open area to move your hand around in. I do understand your choice, but don't discredit the controller just yet.

KyleCross

So, recommendations on upgrades? So far I've heard to focus purely on Health and Stamina and to not put anything in weapons as far as stock goes due to how scarce supplies are for them anyways.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
-Sometimes when burning a Haunted, the enemy will get up while on fire and run at you to try and grab you before they burn away.

this happens on survival aswell, just happened to me on ch5, I used a incendiary arrow which got 2 of them, they both got up in flames and rushed me, which I wasnt expecting

Papercuts

WELP

So, recommendations on upgrades? So far I've heard to focus purely on Health and Stamina and to not put anything in weapons as far as stock goes due to how scarce supplies are for them anyways.

YMMV but I've been doing a decent amount for stock since I've been having to skip things a lot.

I would definitely up the capacity on matches and syringes atleast. I did most of the level 1 cheaper upgrades for the weapons afterwards.

kodecraft

I put stock into health, and I only put stock into weapon damage, ammo amount and critical hit %....things like fire rate and reload speed can f^cking wait. This has helped me beef up key areas because I save XP.

-Health
-Weapon Damage
-Ammo Capacity
-Critical %
-Stamina

Just finished Ch. 12, overall i didn't like it very much.
Too much action, although mowing down those zombies with the .50 caliber felt so satisfying.

I honestly think, just including Chapter 12, I killed more zombies than the entirety of the Island from RE4. Real talk.

Shit goes straight cinematic action movie, which I don't mind, but the "return of the survival horror" people...welp

kodecraft

I honestly think, just including Chapter 12, I killed more zombies than the entirety of the Island from RE4. Real talk.

Shit goes straight cinematic action movie, which I don't mind, but the "return of the survival horror" people...welp

Ha, I love it!

I don't think Mikami can go BACK to survival horror, to him it seems to have evolved into what we have here.

The game - it came out in Australia today.

Hopefully the long wait was well worth it...

Cool, can't wait to read your impressions.

malfcn

Chapter 5.
How am I supposed to know which button.

One makes sense with a flower. But the others I'm not sure.

Aha. It's just matching the murals.

I honestly wouldn't bother with health. Maybe it changes later in the game, but it seems like if you get into a situation where you're taking a lot of damage, you're probably going to die anyways.

My first upgrade was just to remove weapon sway with the pistol. I don't see much of a need to add any more points beyond the initial upgrade (could change though)

Otherwise I've put points into ammo stock, stamina, reload speed, and critical hits w/ pistol (shotgun seems unnecessary at the moment, will prob upgrade damage later though). Those were the only areas really giving me any issues up to that point

I assume I'm going to use the pistol as my main weapon, so I'll try to max it out as such, but I'll have the other weapons for special enemies/situations

I'd love to max out melee, because I'm sure it's hilariously overpowered, but it seems like it'd take a lot of points to get to that point. Definitely will be the focus of new game +

On my way there, don't really prefer it but the level design of chapter 11 so far is great. For a game that focuses on the survival psychological/horror aspect alot, this change comes welcome if only for a chapter or two much like end of chapter 5 as well as most of chapter 6. Where as in RE4 it was action all the way save for a few parts.

Overall, I can't wait, people have been praising the final chapter of the game and that's very good to know as usually final levels, especially as of late have been disappointing as hell.

Yup.

If I tried it, I would just get incredibly frustrated and end up hating the game.
Ditto!

I grew up with the controller, so it's my preferred choice. I think it allows you to control each shot instead of allowing such an open area to move your hand around in. I do understand your choice, but don't discredit the controller just yet.

I don't doubt some people can prefer sticks and are quite good with them but a mouse is just far more precise. Having 1:1 movement with your hand is better than Deadzones. I used to be great with sticks and I even did pretty good in Destiny on PS4 using them but I'm really clumsy with them and it pisses me off haha

I asked this already, but only received one answer. Looking for more opinions.

Quick question: would you all recommend upgrading sprint/running all the way to level 5 (or whatever the highest lvl is)?

I've already upgraded sprint up to the penultimate highest lvl, and to lvl it up one final time requires a beefy 30,000 gel.

I'm already at the start of chapter 8 or 9 (can't remember which one it is. I had just finished the
epic Safehead battle in the gas-filled rooms
; so whichever chapter comes after that, that's where I'm at.)

So, is it really necessary, and worth spending the 30,000 gel on that last sprint lvl?

Thanks!

Chapter 6 felt absolutely huge for a modern day action/adventure chapter, much less any horror subgenre. They really started going all in since Chapter 4. I'm at 9 hours played at the start of Chapter 7. Probably going to be at least 2 hours over whatever the average campaign time has been.

DukeBobby

I asked this already, but only received one answer. Looking for more opinions.

Quick question: would you all recommend upgrading sprint/running all the way to level 5 (or whatever the highest lvl is)?

I've already upgraded sprint up to the penultimate highest lvl, and to lvl it up one final time requires a beefy 30,000 gel.

I'm already at the start of chapter 8 or 9 (can't remember which one it is. I had just finished the
epic Safehead battle in the gas-filled rooms
; so whichever chapter comes after that, that's where I'm at.)

So, is it really necessary, and worth spending the 30,000 gel on that last sprint lvl?

Thanks!

I've been on level 4 for a while now, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade it yet.

Incendiary bolts are beautiful..it's like a flame sprinkler, it just spins in place spitting hot fiyah! I burned more than 8 zombies at a certain part near the end..lovely, i hope this wasn't a pre-order only gadget, it's too good.

Chapter 6 felt absolutely huge for a modern day action/adventure chapter .

That whole fight with the
raining spears
felt just like RE4. Awesome environment, weird-ass (but focused/clear) objective, relentless enemies, intense combat. Then after all that shit, the fucking
doors lock and a chainsaw man runs in for no fucking reason
. I love it so much...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So more notes on Akumu Difficulty:

-The bomb timers are a slither to disarm them
-The chests don't make a beeping noise to alert you when to let go of E
-There are far more enemies in the village section

AND SOMETHING OH MY GOD-ISH

-They put an enemy from near the end of the game into the village section at the beginning.
There's a Hooded Haunted in the Village now.

JoeFenix

Just got to chapter 4 on Akumu mode, I'm so happy that they didn't just take the easy approach to higher difficulty modes and instead gave us a remixed version of encounters with added threats on top of the enemies themselves being faster, more aggressive and generally harder to deal with.

Enemies also spot you much more easily now, this mode is some good stuff! Checkpoints are a bit too frequent for my tastes though. That's my only gripe so far!

I'm streaming right now so if you're interested in checking out what Akumu looks like feel free to drop by. Twitch.tv/joefenix

Papercuts

That whole fight with the
raining spears
felt just like RE4. Awesome environment, weird-ass (but focused/clear) objective, relentless enemies, intense combat. Then after all that shit, the fucking
doors lock and a chainsaw man runs in for no fucking reason
. I love it so much...

Meanwhile Joseph is lobbing off heads not giving a fuck.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, the "what's in the box" section? Fucking awesome.

Ricker

LMAO...is this game serious or what,it's so stupid hard it's funny...when I first saw the phasing guy,I thought it was a glitch its so awful and annoying...ok now I am in Chapter 5,in that square room with the little hole that you peek through and then hit the switches...is there a clue I am missing to actually find out which one I need to press so I dont instant die or is this another masochist attempt at survival horror...? jesus christ.

This Chapter 9 bullshit with the 1 hit touches from you know who is driving me nuts. It's so un-fun.

LMAO...is this game serious or what,it's so stupid hard it's funny...when I first saw the phasing guy,I thought it was a glitch its so awful and annoying...ok now I am in Chapter 5,in that square room with the little hole that you peek through and then hit the switches...is there a clue I am missing to actually find out which one I need to press so I dont instant die or is this another masochist attempt at survival horror...? jesus christ.

Look at the walls. There's literally 0 trial/error puzzles in this game.

Top Bottom