• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Korten

Banned
So I've been debating getting this on PS4... So I must ask, how is the PS4 version? I swore someone said it was bad... or just very meh.

HeelPower

You use the keys to open the lockers at the upgrade center. The lockers can hold ammo/gel/ or med supplies.

Yep, it's pretty dang awesome

Didn't mention what Ranger above me said cause
the nurse
tells you about the keys when you find your first one lol

tumblr_n80lihHR0f1samolro1_500.gif

K' Dash

OK, I removed the black bars, adjusted the FOV and unlocked the framerate, now I'm ready to continue.

Tango should patch the FOV, it makes a night and day difference.

Just got done with CH12. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it alot more than CH11.
Apart from the shooting enemies which I hate because they remind me of the shooting enemies in RE4, I thought it was pretty damn exciting driving around the demolished city with the big ass spider following you around. Definitely gave the game an even more crazier mindfuck, bigger scope feel then it already is. The variety is just too good.
Onto chapter 13!

What's strange is, I tried to be thorough when going through the chapters, and I only ended up with half of the map fragments.

Open halfway while stealth crouching. Let it close, disarm.
I know one of them you get by going backwards when you spawn into a certain location, I make a habit of always going backwards before I go forward in a game and it was just sitting on the wall.

Just got done with CH12. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it alot more than CH11.
Apart from the shooting enemies which I hate because they remind me of the shooting enemies in RE4, I thought it was pretty damn exciting driving around the demolished city with the big ass spider following you around. Definitely gave the game an even more crazier mindfuck, bigger scope feel then it already is. The variety is just too good.
Onto chapter 13!

Ch.13 is very much
a stealth chapter, so its a good palette cleanser after the gun-toting action movie brightly lit chaos of 11/12

~Kinggi~

Banned
It is pretty amazing to hear the unlocked difficulty is actually worthy of an unlock, significantly changing the game. I can already tell once i beat it ill actually want to play it again. Such a fine tuned game.

EriksBlue

Banned
So far i'm enjoying Evil Within, I finally figured out how to open the inventory now i can use other weapons besides the pistols lol.

Elitist1945

So far I'm disappointed by the lack of F-Bombs from Carpenter's character.
Although I've only seen her in like the first chapter so far.

antitrop

Is it worth killing
fat guy with glass shards
in Chapter 4?

EDIT: NM, this is a silly post,
he dies in one shotgun blast, lol

Just finished Chapter 5. That was a long ass chapter compared to the first four. Shame about the framerate on PS4, because the game is really great otherwise. I can't imagine how bad the game runs on PS3. Will knock out a few more chapters tomorrow for sure.

Oh, I finally figured out how to get rid of the reticule, just hold circle and it puts your weapon away for you.

Grisby

Chapter 6 was long as hell. Fun stuff though.

I spend a few minutes at the upgrade screen every time I go into it. Been focusing on weapon crit/dam and ammo upgrades. Haven't put any points into sprint because you can mostly dodge enemy attacks and I tend to attack myself anyways.

GravyButt

Nothing more satisfying for me so far than dropping an axe into a skull. So satisfying.

Although watching a zombie get gibbed from a trap is also amazing, especially when your hiding under a bed bwahahaha

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
is it the only way to put them down for good?

I've been burning everything I can but i'm not sure if that's right

Aim for their head, two complete blows or a head blown right off does it. If you get them on their backs it can almost down them right there. They stay dead, but if you downed them they can raise right back up. You don't have to burn everything, but it helps save ammo.

Question about Chapter 7

Was I supposed to have literally no ammo for like half of the The Keeper encounter? Because I had to resort to disarming his traps just to scrounge together a few bolts.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Question about Chapter 7

Was I supposed to have literally no ammo for like half of the The Keeper encounter? Because I had to resort to disarming his traps just to scrounge together a few bolts.

I used the shotgun ammo inside the gate, then I threw a grenade in his path. Throw a grenade on the floor so he just runs over the blast, but he has a charge move that will annihilate you. Explosive arrows work extremely well there. I died so many times there. The final tally was 4 to 5 shotgun shells to the chest and 1 grenade to the floor. Always go for explosive arrows with the Keepers. They work like a charm.

I don't know if this was luck but I got him down on just my 5 shotgun shots, but I was up near his face. That can be hard to do.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So far have completed Chapter 4 on Akumu difficulty. Will play more tomorrow.

Full list of changes I've noticed so far between this difficulty and survival (some of these changes may also happen on Nightmare difficulty).

-First most and obviously as it's listed on the difficulties description, everything kills you in one hit in Akumu. Everything.

-The Haunted themselves act a lot more aggressive than they do on Survival. They move faster than Sebastian's casual jog now, but a bit slower than his sprint. They will keep on your trail a lot longer and are a lot harder to shake off. Not only do they move faster, they also attack more aggressively, Faster shots, enemies will swing their weapon coming at you 4-5 times before stopping instead of the normal difficulty Haunted's 2-3 swings, they take a lot less time pausing after attacking before coming after you again.

-With the more aggressive haunted, there are also a lot more of them, and more in new places.

-Stealth is more useful now because of all of this, but also harder. It's hard to explain without playing, but the enemies seem a LOT more capable of spotting you now than they would on normal, can spot you from much farther away and will usually spot you even if you're just peaking out a crack (which they wouldn't do on normal usually).

-Enemies have more health.

-Haunted will get back up a lot faster after being downed.

-There have been some additional obstacles added to certain sections to make passing them more difficult. In the beginning section with The Sadist chainsaw maniac where you have to hide and escape, more boxes have been added obtrusing your path forward. He'll run around super quickly (I swear he moves faster) when searching the halls so he'll really quickly return back to the main room if you're hiding in there.

-In the village fight and the fight in chapter 4
in the blood room where you have to defeat them to re-reveal the door right before Laura
, they've added an additional enemy in these sections that doesn't appear normally until much later in the game.
The Hooded Ruvik look-alike Haunted.

-Ammo and supplies are a lot less around in the environment.

-Enemies drop less supplies.

-Wall Mines now all only have a splinter of blue area when you try to disarm them.

-Chests with bombs in them no longer beep telling you when to let go of E.

-Boss monsters that chase you now all move faster
Sadist, Ruvik, Re-Bone Laura, even the doctor's brother.

Partway through chapter 3, and I feel like maybe I missed the crossbow. I don't have it yet, yet I've made ammo for it and found a warhead for it. Did I miss it?

Can't you go back?
I want to think it's in the same area as the Shotgun....You will find the crossbow on the floor against a table the minute you walk in a room...

somedevil

Question about Chapter 7

Well I had quite a bit of shotgun and arrows to use on him. Freeze and explosion eats him alive after the first fight with him. The funny thing is out of the 5 times you face him only twice you have to bring him down.

Really interesting, thanks for compiling all this. It's nice to see how much effort has been put into actually changing the higher difficulty modes instead of just changing damage values. I'm especially hoping that the new enemy count/locations also apply to Nightmare difficulty as well.

Only got to play chapter 5 today, but it was a pretty long chapter. Really loving the game thus far, but those invisible enemies are really kicking my butt. Anyone have any hints on how to deal with them? They're so hard to see.

Chapter 10 help please:

Running away from the crawly chick you have to burn. I've shot the things above to get her to burn but I eventually get into a pipe looking area where the door closes behind me and fire starts to slowly fill the room. I'm assuming you have to shoot something in there but I can't figure out what.

Got it.

Chapter 10 help please:

Running away from the crawly chick you have to burn. I've shot the things above to get her to burn but I eventually get into a pipe looking area where the door closes behind me and fire starts to slowly fill the room. I'm assuming you have to shoot something in there but I can't figure out what.

Lever on the ceiling.

Top Bottom