• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

Post them in the spoiler thread. It is a small spoiler.

Halfway through chapter 6 and I feel like this game still hasn't clicked yet, anyone else have that?

I hate to say it, because I really want to enjoy the game, and it IS fun, but I'm thinking of trading it in. I don't know what it is, but I. Just not feeling it. I think I was expecting something that was more scary and less action oriented :(

What I hate is how chapter 3 was so ridiculously atmosphereic. The entire time it was like "YES, this is what I wanted" and then after that it's like where the fuck did all the atmosphere go? Anyway, see if you can finish the game and then try to replay it. It's a lot better the second time around.

did you miss the part where everyone said it looked like RE4-2? :D

but if its not doing it for you, its not doing it for you. It clicked with me on chapter 3, if it hasnt by chapter 6 with you, it might be a lost cause :(

Can't tell if serious. Only two or three stages have a passing resemblance to RE4. Other than the Gonados with luminscent eyes, there's not really much RE4 DNA here at all. Chapter 6 may have had a somewhat similar layout (very loosely similar), but it looked more like something from RE5.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Halfway through chapter 6 and I feel like this game still hasn't clicked yet, anyone else have that?

I hate to say it, because I really want to enjoy the game, and it IS fun, but I'm thinking of trading it in. I don't know what it is, but I. Just not feeling it. I think I was expecting something that was more scary and less action oriented :(

did you miss the part where everyone said it looked like RE4-2? :D

but if its not doing it for you, its not doing it for you. It clicked with me on chapter 3, if it hasnt by chapter 6 with you, it might be a lost cause :(

Mubbed

Question regarding Chapter 10.
Is it possible not to sound the alarm in chapter 10? It is the stealth portion in the dark. I take out the first enemy but once i enter the closed off corridor section the glass breaks and the alarm sounds. Is there any way to avoid that?

So where am I in terms of overall enjoyment level, its a borderline 9 and moving up. Here is my main issue, there are too many walk forward while scripted stuff moments scattered throughout which will make replays a bit boring. Then there is the combat system in general which can go either way in terms of preference. Let me give you two scenarios and how it is handled in both RE4 and TEW. Say there is a room and a bunch of enemies flood in, in RE4 you quickly position yourself, shoot that guy in the head, melee, another guy that you shoot in the leg, jump over table, make space, shoot weapon off the enemy, so it is constantly exciting. In TEW a group of enemies appeared in a room, I saw an oil puddle, lit it on fire and lured all the enemies into the fire while I stood there and watched. Now yeah its great thinking of ways outside of shooting to kill enemies but is it as fun as managing a room with bullets in RE4, not for me.

TEW has many shortcuts to killing enemies because the guns are so weak, at least before you beef them up. Matches are a godsend, shoot a dude in the leg and light them up, dead. Enemies drop an axe or torch which can be picked up and is an instant kill. All traps in the environment are an instant kill. Because of this for a lot of the smaller battles it just becomes about luring enemies into these instant kill situations. I don’t feel there is much intensity at all during these moments.

Then there are RE4 moments that are just incredible. Enemies flood a room from all sides, yes there are still environmental traps and ways to quickly kill enemies but they are limited so you are absolutely forced to shoot, fight, run, do everything and anything to barely stay alive. During these moments TEW comes alive, it is exactly what the majority of the game should be. The good thing is most of chapter 5 and 6 is like that so maybe the game keeps the intensity. This includes the excellent rooms that have traps in certain genius spots, so well designed. The large setpieces have been great.

So for me when the game is like RE4 it is fantastic. When it is meandering its cool and atmospheric but with no compelling story I just cant wait to hit the next action room.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just finished the game, man what a ride this was.

13 hours, 45 deaths.

Will post impressions later but overall this is a great game besides technical issues, a solid 8.5/10 for me.

An issue I have with the game is the completely random area transitions. While I can see how it's a neat idea to never know where you may end up, it makes it so that none of the areas feel like a real, detailed place, and none of them are very memorable as a result. When I think about the mansion in RE1, or the castle in RE4 I remember how much time was spent in those areas, becoming familiar with and exploring them and they really stick in my mind. In Evil Within you're just constantly being thrown from place to place and none of them get a chance to make a strong impression for very long before you're tossed into a new one.

HeelPower

I think this character is definitely inspired by lisa from Silent Hill 1.She is also very silent hillish in general.

I love this.

G1gt9K9.jpg

Lisa_sh1.jpg

Post them in the spoiler thread. It is a small spoiler.

can't go into spoilers thread..far too risky for me.

I posted them in screenshots thread.

Sanctuary

So for me when the game is like RE4 it is fantastic. When it is meandering its cool and atmospheric but with no compelling story I just cant wait to hit the next action room.

The RE games never really had great stories if you looked at each game individually, but they were still interesing and added to the experience. When you look at the series as a whole, there's a lot of cool lore going on. Also, their self-contained stories at least made the game feel like it had a purpose, and the structure of it combined with the area progression made it feel like you were actually accomplishing something.

In this game, due to the main conceit of the plot, it almost feels like it was intionally setup like that as an excuse to not need to bother with creating a cohesive narrative that works with the areas, and also so they could add a hodge-podge stew of completely disperate level designs that never actually feel like they all belong to the same game world. It's like they created themes from various games and just threw them together.

An issue I have with the game is the completely random area transitions. While I can see how it's a neat idea to never know where you may end up, it makes it so that none of the areas feel like a real, detailed place, and none of them are very memorable as a result. When I think about the mansion in RE1, or the castle in RE4 I remember how much time was spent in those areas, becoming familiar with and exploring them and they really stick in my mind. In Evil Within you're just constantly being thrown from place to place and none of them get a chance to make a strong impression for very long before you're tossed into a new one.

LMAO, we posted a similar thought at the same time.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It's not the longest chapter in the game, but it has some challenging sections. I am really interested to hear what people think of it when it comes around.

I found it pretty easy except for that encounter with the
2 Keepers
. Good thing i had my pistol and rifle with fully upgraded damage

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I found it pretty easy except for that encounter with the
2 Keepers
. Good thing i had my pistol and rifle with fully upgraded damage

The
Twin Keepers
was the hardest part definitely, but I would say the final Haunted encounter was fairly challenging in its own regard.

Also the final boss is a lot more difficult if you're like me and refused to turn the reticle on.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think this character is definitely inspired by lisa from Silent Hill 1.She is also very silent hillish in general.

I love this.

can't go into spoilers thread..far too risky for me.

I posted them in screenshots thread.

They have that nailed down. I think she was half the life in SH. That relationship works so well. It's hard to do with some characters. The importance is location and atmosphere.

Question about an enemy early in chapter 4, is it a glitch?

Ive been messing with removing black bars and the FoV so I can't be too sure.
I went into a room, found the mental patient(I think his name is leslie?) and an invisible zombie entered the room. Is this guy supposed to be invisible?

antitrop

Hi guys,
just wondering if this game has incorporated any of the mechanics of Vanquish,
does the game feel more like Vanquish camera control system or more like resident evil 4?

To be honest, managing the stamina bar in TEW feels a lot like managing your heat levels in Vanquish.

After a while, you don't even have to look at the bar to be able to time it perfectly to let go right before you get stunned, it becomes muscle memory.

Question about an enemy early in chapter 4, is it a glitch?

Ive been messing with removing black bars and the FoV so I can't be too sure.
I went into a room, found the mental patient(I think his name is leslie?) and an invisible zombie entered the room. Is this guy supposed to be invisible?

lmao.
Yes, yes he is.

I just realized I've never really been in a situation in which it's been an issue, since I always turn the lantern off when I don't absolutely need it. But does the lamp light cause enemies to spot you?

hey guys, what do you think is the better purchase right now... the evil within or Aliens?

Alien is more of a pure horror game, Evil Within is much more action focused. Both are quite good though.

I'd been feeling pretty down on this game for a good chunk of its initial chapters until I finished Chapter 6. God damn does this game work so much better so far when it settles into action game mode where they give you a sizeable space with which to take advantage of your entire arsenal. The whole chapter had a ton of well crafted RE4-like variety as it switched settings without pacing itself too quickly like before. Things are looking up.

malfcn

I just realized I've never really been in a situation in which it's been an issue, since I always turn the lantern off when I don't absolutely need it. But does the lamp light cause enemies to spot you?

I have seen it pull attention. Or at least it appeared to when I tried.

Yup. I noticed that they could see you easier when the lantern is on then when it is off. Especially in darker areas.

I stopped in CH13 at
THE JURRASIC PARK KITCHEN FROM HELL.
Will continue on later but so far I am liking the chapter, it definitely is not as memorable so far as the ones that were before it like 3,4,5,6,7,9,10,12. Enjoying the game immensely.

It's action horror. Die Hard is an action thriller :p

It's a survival psychological horror game. Honestly, only a few chapters focus on pure action where as the rest is all horror, thick atmosphere, darkness and trying to survive with all your courage and wits.
Like only 3 or 4 chapters are action while the rest of the 15 chapters are the complete opposite of that.

The RE games never really had great stories if you looked at each game individually, but they were still interesing and added to the experience. When you look at the series as a whole, there's a lot of cool lore going on. Also, their self-contained stories at least made the game feel like it had a purpose, and the structure of it combined with the area progression made it feel like you were actually accomplishing something.

In this game, due to the main conceit of the plot, it almost feels like it was intionally setup like that as an excuse to not need to bother with creating a cohesive narrative that works with the areas, and also so they could add a hodge-podge stew of completely disperate level designs that never actually feel like they all belong to the same game world. It's like they created themes from various games and just threw them together.

When I wrote that I was thinking mostly about TLOU. That game has plenty of down time but you love every second of it cause everything feeds the story and enhances all elements of the game. Here its just random bloody stuff. So I am like ok yeah thats neat.. so when can I kill stuff again.

Really I hate doing those slow walk down a hallway segments during replays of games, I think playing the first few chapters again will be a chore. That was never an issue with RE4 or 5 for that matter.

antitrop

I feel like the absolute nonchalantness of the characters, provided the situation they are in, makes the whole thing come off like an episode of Scooby Doo.

Started the game tonight on Survival, and completed the first two chapters. Sure as hell didn't take very long for me to brutally murdered lol >.<

Kinda wish my melee attacks were more effective on the enemies in Chapter 2. And I do have to agree with the black bars being completely unnecessary. Other than that, I'm enjoying the game

Lernaean

Banned
It's a survival psychological horror game. Honestly, only a few chapters focus on pure action where as the rest is all horror, thick atmosphere, darkness and trying to survive with all your courage and wits.
Like only 3 or 4 chapters are action while the rest of the 15 chapters are the complete opposite of that.

Agreed, just meant that if we are to call it action, it's action horror, not thriller.
Imo, no, it's not action, or not as action as RE4 is.

cheezcake

I feel like the absolute nonchalantness of the characters, provided the situation they are in, makes the whole thing come off like an episode of Scooby Doo.

It's so jarring, you have a chainsaw wielding maniac who sees you is going to chop you to piece and your characters reaction is...

"ah shit"

like he just spilt coffee on his favourite shirt

Bebpo

Banned
Uh, I played through the end of Chapter 2 and I don't know if I like it. Maybe it's just because I have high standards with Mikami and believe every single game he's ever directed is at least a 9/10 with most 10/10s, or maybe it's because the first intro chapter was TERRIBLE rails experience with a super shitty stealth room at the end (chapter 2 was much better), but so far the gameplay feels like a shitty Last of Us (throw those bottles!) x shitty RE4 with atmosphere story that's a shitty Silent Hill x shitty RE4. Just feels super derivative and everything is worse than the games it steals from.

But hey, haven't played a game that's felt so B-tier Japan in a while! Graphics (and controls almost, but controls are better here, just that chapter 1 wobbling so fucking slow was just freaking awful) initially reminded me of Deadly Premonitions but chapter 2 looked better even if it was just RE4 HD.

Sounds like a lot of hate but I really enjoy this genre of gaming so I'm having some fun mixed in between annoyances. Really hope it's just a slow start and once you get more items/abilities/weapons/HP it gets closer to a good RE4/TLoU.

What's the point of burning bodies that are background bodies and not a threat? I don't have enough extra matches so far in this game to be wasting them on non-threats.

And I want to just complain about how the opening chapter starts the game on a really bad note. It's clearly trying to be Silent Hill, but no SH game that I can remember off the top of my had has forced crappy stealth puzzles or had awful hobbling movement or even been so linear as chapter 1. Chapter 1 feels like they're trying to copy Silent Hill but they don't get what makes Silent Hill good. Chapter 2 feels like they're trying to copy RE4 but don't have the budget to polish it to that quality. Also maybe they're trying to borrow from Amnesia as well but Amnesia controls far better and is much less annoying.

Lucent

Uh, I played through the end of Chapter 2 and I don't know if I like it. Maybe it's just because I have high standards with Mikami and believe every single game he's ever directed is at least a 9/10 with most 10/10s, or maybe it's because the first intro chapter was TERRIBLE rails experience with a super shitty stealth room at the end (chapter 2 was much better), but so far the gameplay feels like a shitty Last of Us x shitty RE4 with atmosphere story that's a shitty Silent Hill x shitty RE4. Just feels super derivative and everything is worse than the games it steals from.

But hey, haven't played a game that's felt so B-tier Japan in a while! Graphics (and controls almost, but controls are better here, just that chapter 1 wobbling so fucking slow was just freaking awful) initially reminded me of Deadly Premonitions but chapter 2 looked better even if it was just RE4 HD.

Sounds like a lot of hate but I really enjoy this genre of gaming so I'm having some fun mixed in between annoyances. Really hope it's just a slow start and once you get more items/abilities/weapons/HP it gets closer to a good RE4/TLoU.

What's the point of burning bodies that are background bodies and not a threat? I don't have enough extra matches so far in this game to be wasting them on non-threats.

If you blow off an enemy's head or stealth kill them or blow them up, there's no need to drop a match on them. The ones you find laying around you may or may not be a threat. You could probably stomp on them or something to check. It's up to you. You can also lure enemies to bodies and drop a match on the body to light it and catch nearby enemies on fire. And if you can knock an enemy on the ground and wanna be done, you can drop a match on them while they're alive.

Def upgrade your match capacity though. I got it up to 15. Just helps to conserve ammo if used right.

EDIT: Also you'll get used to the controls. I did. I was also worried at first when I played the first chapter, but I picked up how to control him pretty well by the third chapter. And I would really stop trying to say it's trying to be Silent Hill. It really doesn't give me that feeling. But it does feel somehow like they screwed up by making this cross gen and using that engine.

hiex_

Banned
I'm absolutely adoring this game. The atmosphere is thick, feels like the follow up to RE4, with some Silent Hill thrown in. Amazing, I love it.

Uh, I played through the end of Chapter 2 and I don't know if I like it. Maybe it's just because I have high standards with Mikami and believe every single game he's ever directed is at least a 9/10 with most 10/10s, or maybe it's because the first intro chapter was TERRIBLE rails experience with a super shitty stealth room at the end (chapter 2 was much better), but so far the gameplay feels like a shitty Last of Us (throw those bottles!) x shitty RE4 with atmosphere story that's a shitty Silent Hill x shitty RE4. Just feels super derivative and everything is worse than the games it steals from.

And I want to just complain about how the opening chapter starts the game on a really bad note. It's clearly trying to be Silent Hill, but no SH game that I can remember off the top of my had has forced crappy stealth puzzles or had awful hobbling movement or even been so linear as chapter 1. Chapter 1 feels like they're trying to copy Silent Hill but they don't get what makes Silent Hill good. Chapter 2 feels like they're trying to copy RE4 but don't have the budget to polish it to that quality. Also maybe they're trying to borrow from Amnesia as well but Amnesia controls far better and is much less annoying.

Yeah the opening chapters are like a different game, the game really starts around chapter 3 but hits its stride at chapter 5.

The burning bodies thing is hilarious. Just because it is mikami and you burn bodies everyone thought it meant all bodies will pop back to life later if you leave them around. That is not how it works, burning is just an easy way to kill a stunned opponent. If the enemy is dead, its DEAD, there is no reason at all to use a match on it.

Yeah the opening chapters are like a different game, the game really starts around chapter 3 but hits its stride at chapter 5.

The burning bodies thing is hilarious. Just because it is mikami and you burn bodies everyone thought it meant all bodies will pop back to life later if you leave them around. That is not how it works, burning is just an easy way to kill a stunned opponent. If the enemy is dead, its DEAD, there is no reason at all to use a match on it.

This game isn't really the place for it, but I still really want to see a game use the Crimson Head mechanic again in the future. It was such a genius design for a horror game and I can't figure why no one has aped it yet. Possibly because not many games make you backtrack or spend an extended amount of time in one area now, so it wouldn't work out well.

Bebpo

Banned

Glad to hear. I want an awesome Mikami game and Ch.1/2 did not give me that and felt too copy-cat. Looking forward to Ch.3!

I hate that they spoil when your near a trap every single time by
putting those bubbles on the screen
Is this just on survivor difficulty as it ruins any surprise whatsoever?

-MD-

I hate that they spoil when your near a trap every single time by
putting those bubbles on the screen
Is this just on survivor difficulty as it ruins any surprise whatsoever?

You can disable them in the options. I did that before I started the game, it's much more fun figuring stuff out on your own.

Jesus how bout that chapter 4? Game has a couple of cheap-ish learn by dying sections, but all in good fun I suppose. I wasn't having too much trouble with deaths up to this point, but if the rest is more like this I could definitely understand reviewers getting 70+ in a playthrough lol

Had to laugh at
"Hold X to look" at the bottom of the elevator, oh wait, you're dead

Top Bottom