• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Mupod

Only got to play chapter 5 today, but it was a pretty long chapter. Really loving the game thus far, but those invisible enemies are really kicking my butt. Anyone have any hints on how to deal with them? They're so hard to see.

flash arrows are my solution to, uh, everything so far.

And man, chapter 5 was a lot longer than its predecessors.

malfcn

I am slower that slow at this game, taking my time too much?
Chapter 5, 6:45 play time. *shakes head*

And I didn't see one of the tips.
I think it was about the spider lady, couldn't read it fast enough.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Help on the ch 5 boss please

Got to burn all the bodies and Laura. Burning bodies she's near will burn here, also two rooms where you can pull a lever to drop her in a fire pit.

If she runs out of places to spawn from, well, she's dead.

DukeBobby

I am slower that slow at this game, taking my time too much?
Chapter 5, 6:45 play time. *shakes head*

And I didn't see one of the tips.
I think it was about the spider lady, couldn't read it fast enough.

You can never be too slow. It doesn't hurt to explore every nook and cranny.

Mupod

Help on the ch 5 boss please

Just got past it myself.

I noticed she was respawning out of the bodies, so I burned the ones I could find. There's some torches you can burn bodies with (melee with torch) to save a couple matches, and dropping the bodies down into the incinerators got rid of those ones. She won't spawn until you go into that middle area, and burning a body with her nearby will burn her too.

Other than that I just burned her when I could using the barrels. But she kept coming after that, so in a panic I led her to the lower incinerator, waited for her to come down the ladder and hit the switch. Seemed to work. Don't know how important it was to burn the bodies beforehand since she just kept coming, maybe there were some I missed.

In retrospect maybe it'd be better to leave the bodies in the incinerators, burn her with something else, wait for her to respawn using an incinerator body, then pull the lever.

edit: don't forget to loot her body! 8000 gel.

malfcn

The burning bodies is fun, but is neutered.

Can't torch with...torch.
And sometimes they will lit each other up, sometimes now.
The animation will also take a long time in tight spots.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got past it myself.

I noticed she was respawning out of the bodies, so I burned the ones I could find. There's some torches you can burn bodies with (melee with torch) to save a couple matches, and dropping the bodies down into the incinerators got rid of those ones. She won't spawn until you go into that middle area, and burning a body with her nearby will burn her too.

Other than that I just burned her when I could using the barrels. But she kept coming after that, so in a panic I led her to the lower incinerator, waited for her to come down the ladder and hit the switch. Seemed to work. Don't know how important it was to burn the bodies beforehand since she just kept coming, maybe there were some I missed.

In retrospect maybe it'd be better to leave the bodies in the incinerators, burn her with something else, wait for her to respawn using an incinerator body, then pull the lever.

Yeah, burning the corpses is key there. Early in the fight I was able to dump her in one of those incinerators and she still spawned back out of another body.

You can also melee her with the torch to keep her away.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Only got to play chapter 5 today, but it was a pretty long chapter. Really loving the game thus far, but those invisible enemies are really kicking my butt. Anyone have any hints on how to deal with them? They're so hard to see.

Shoot a bolt into them to "mark" them, then switch to pistol and get a headshot. (if you miss with a bolt you can retrieve it from the environment)

Lucent

Really interesting, thanks for compiling all this. It's nice to see how much effort has been put into actually changing the higher difficulty modes instead of just changing damage values. I'm especially hoping that the new enemy count/locations also apply to Nightmare difficulty as well.

Yeah, I'd like for nightmare to be like akumu except for the one hit kill. Be nice for the people who want to play a more serious version of survival without the frustration that can come with one hit kills.

But I probably will attempt Akumu sometime.

Mupod

You can never be too slow. It doesn't hurt to explore every nook and cranny.

that's what this kind of game is about. That's how you find the good stuff...and sometimes get the shit scared out of you. I think I'm around 5-ish hours at chapter 6? I haven't died too much, but I've tried to explore as much as I can.

Oh yeah, speaking of secrets I was disappointed with the key I used first since it was just 2 syringes...but then I noticed they stay there if you don't pick em up. So you can keep them in the safe room until you need them later.

You can also melee her with the torch to keep her away.

I actually tried that. It ended...poorly.

Pollux

Got to burn all the bodies and Laura. Burning bodies she's near will burn here, also two rooms where you can pull a lever to drop her in a fire pit.

If she runs out of places to spawn from, well, she's dead.

Just got past it myself.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Just beat it

The arc on the crossbow's aiming laser will stop when an enemy is in front of it. Should make dealing with them much easier.

flash arrows are my solution to, uh, everything so far.

And man, chapter 5 was a lot longer than its predecessors.

Shoot a bolt into them to "mark" them, then switch to pistol and get a headshot. (if you miss with a bolt you can retrieve it from the environment)

Definitely using the crossbow against them from here on out. Thanks for all the tips :)

Papercuts

Yeah, I'd like for nightmare to be like akumu except for the one hit kill. Be nice for the people who want to play a more serious version of survival without the frustration that can come with one hit kills.

But I probably will attempt Akumu sometime.

Yeah, has anyone actually played Nightmare yet? The two posts detailing Akumu already makes me think they just went from Survival right to that but Nightmare could actually have those changes, which would be really nice for a game like this.

I actually tried that. It ended...poorly.

Haha, really? Worked out for me, but I guess I was...playing with fire

i'm sorry

Tohsaka

On chapter 7 so far. Really enjoying it, aside from the aspect ratio (PS4). I hope the game sells well since the gameplay is really solid.

Ricker

The burning bodies is fun, but is neutered.

Can't torch with...torch.
And sometimes they will lit each other up, sometimes now.
The animation will also take a long time in tight spots.

Sebastian controls so poorly making the game even harder,considering all the switch hitting and stuff like that you have to do...still enjoying it though,just stopped for the day at the Chapter 5 Boss(I think it is)because when I saw something I just past it and with the awful controls,couldnt turn around and flip it in time...oh well,tomorrow I guess but I doubt I will finish this game...too many things will get on my nerves in the long run.

ST2K

Screw the Chapter 5 Boss. Not a fun boss fight.

I'm done for the night, but so far this game is super uneven.

Well, I have mixed feelings.
It was okay up until chapter 3. I don't really care for all the stealth and mines, bombs, and bear traps around. Can't even see half of them in the dark. It's annoying to die by them only to have to start at a check point a while ago and recollect the items you found. Wish the checkpoint system was different. Can't even really explore my environment because of the constant traps. Really my only complaint so far. I haven't found another weapon yet and I am on chapter 3.
Where is the shotgun? The agony bow?

Had a long, crummy day at work today, so only got to play Chapter 5 tonight.

All that said...

Chapter 5 kicked all sorts of ass!

The first four chapters were really good for the most part, but nothing spectacular. This was pretty fucking awesome.

Mupod

Well, I have mixed feelings.
It was okay up until chapter 3. I don't really care for all the stealth and mines, bombs, and bear traps around. Can't even see half of them in the dark. It's annoying to die by them only to have to start at a check point a while ago and recollect the items you found. Wish the checkpoint system was different. Can't even really explore my environment because of the constant traps. Really my only complaint so far. I haven't found another weapon yet and I am on chapter 3.
Where is the shotgun? The agony bow?
They're both in the same building. The one to the left of the gate, with the rifle guy.

Traps are no problem if you just crouch walk all over the place. Don't forget the lantern.

You can also go back to the save room any time and save. I had some trouble there too and actually cheesed it a bit by retreating to the save room and upgrading my hp when it was low, which gave me full health.

Is this old? Another video with Adam Sessler.

The Creatures Within: The Keeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0yOgw6LTlI

i336ZfEdOCRhz.gif

izagqNdQf61iP.gif

Lernaean

Banned
There is so much depth in this game's mechanics, it constantly reminds me (past its unfortunate technical issues) that it's a Mikami game, and i love that.
The game provides you with everything you need, and it's up to you how to use what's provided to you.
One example. I was playing ch4 last night. Got home very late but i said i'd play at least one chapter. Obvious ch4 spoiler below.
I was in the last fight, when Ruvik summons the horde. I had enough ammo but i said i'd play smart.
There is a side room in that area. Inside it you can find a ladder that leads to a small landing accessible only from that ladder. Also inside are two red fuel cans.
I placed a can near the bottom of the ladder, then went outside and triggered the event. Enemies spawned and i lured them in the side room. I went up the ladder, shot a couple coming up and when everyone was at the bottom i shot the can. BOOM, all dead with 4-5 handgun bullets.
Prepare for every encounter guys. Search the area and plan first, and i promise you, you'll love this game.

Also, total number of deaths:
, clear time:
13 hours, 3mins, 20secs
And I swear about half of those deaths were "well I sucked at managing resources at this point, just gonna let this enemy kill me now on purpose". The checkpoint system encourages abuse. How did IGN lady get 200+ deaths >_>

Dusk Golem

Wish me luck, I'm going Map Fragment collecting. I only have two more map fragments to go.

On that note, no one would happen to know where map fragments 10 & 23 are, would they?

Papercuts

Also, total number of deaths:
, clear time:
13 hours, 3mins, 20secs
And I swear about half of those deaths were "well I sucked at managing resources at this point, just gonna let this enemy kill me now on purpose". The checkpoint system encourages abuse. How did IGN lady get 200+ deaths >_>

i mean

antitrop

Almost done with Chapter 4 and I still try to control the game as if it was The Last of Us. I keep pressing Circle to try to crouch, and Square to melee. They really should have just copied that game's control scheme, it was better than what they have.

Dusk Golem

Nevermind, speak of the devil just found map fragment 10. Only need to find 23 now.

Only one more map fragment to go for me to be disappointed they lead to nothing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah played chapters 1-2 last night and tried out 3 tonight but got insanely frustrated.
I'm gonna check back tomorrow, I just wasn't up for it tonight. But goddamn.

Just made it to chapter 6. Chapter 5 felt like it was never going to end. I thought the boss was pretty easy. So far, regular enemy encounters are much tougher than bosses. I like the game, but it can also be extremely frustrating because of the controls and camera issues. I guess in that sense it really does hearken back to some of the survival horror classics.

I'm attempting to do my first run on Survivor difficulty with no upgrades (for the associated achievement). Not sure if that's a great idea yet, but so far it's not so bad once I trial-and-error my way through things first before doing a "real" run.

ViewtifulJC said:
And I swear about half of those deaths were "well I sucked at managing resources at this point, just gonna let this enemy kill me now on purpose". The checkpoint system encourages abuse.
Yep, I know that feeling. It has the same problem RE4 had in that regard: "Whoops, I died! So what?"

Finished Chapter 5 and 6, WOW! The game totally hits its groove and enters RE4 variety mode. Every room there is some crazy shit going down. The action is super intense but in a different way from RE4 as even one enemy can pose a real danger. Since ammo is limited, figuring out how to take down multiple enemies with as few ammo as possible is key. Also there is a ton of environmental ways to kill enemies. Chapter 6 in particular is pure RE4 at times, there is one area that involves sniper fire that feels like a chapter that got left out of RE4.

I have fought two major bosses I loved one, the other was just ok. Spoilers for chapter 5 and 6.

Lisa boss battle was fantastic and exactly what I want from this game. I love that at first you don't exactly know what to do but soon you realize she is possessing bodies so it becomes a race to burn bodies and burn her. It just worked on all levels from being intense to being thoughtful. The dog though that was a mess. I guess there is something to the dog in the bushes, I just ran around and avoided the attacks while blasting it with a shotgun. It was a simple pattern, not much too it. Great looking monster and I actually liked the second part where you sneak better. I do like how it was optional to kill the dog or not, this game gives you plenty of options.

george_us

Just got to Chapter 5. I know the sparse dialog was a complaint but, for me, it only adds to the atmosphere. It legitimately feels like you're in a nightmare with the constantly shifting environments and the general sense of disorientation. Shit is freaking me out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Almost done with Chapter 4 and I still try to control the game as if it was The Last of Us. I keep pressing Circle to try to crouch, and Square to melee. They really should have just copied that game's control scheme, it was better than what they have.

I think this is power handling. You're setting up for something to happen this way. I also think it's more Japanese that they have it this way as well. Triangle for melee makes perfect sense.

I think traditionally the circle button to crouch or even R3 has been a Western design.

Yuterald

Got home with this late last night after work, played up until a little bit of Chapter 3. First impressions weren't the greatest, to be honest. Besides the performance issues, I think my game totally bugged out during the early parts of Chapter 3...
I climbed one of those guard towers after I let the chainsaw guy loose, got to the top, collected a few items, and free fell back down into a pit of baddies. The chainsaw guy was in the mix too and I was completely swarmed, so I figured I'd let the guy take care of me. Well, I could have sworn the game triggered a "checkpoint" earlier in the area, but I was sent back to (at least from what I can tell) an even earlier "checkpoint". What's even MORE strange is I approached that very same guard tower and a weird audio bug played where I could hear my character screaming and then crashing into the ground below me. It's really hard to describe what happened, actually, but it didn't look/feel right.
I shortly shut the game down afterwards...

With that said, I actually dug the first two chapters. While very tutorial-like in nature, they still provided that much needed/expected atmosphere building. Also, the cinematic at the end of Chapter 1 was WILD. Like, really shot well
(totally picked up on that RE 2-style camera shot of the ambulance making a wide turn too. Very similar to the scene from the intro of RE2).
Gotta echo the combat/feedback sentiments. Gunshots/head shots feel incredible.

My only major critique I have is the fact that there are checkpoints/auto-saving. I really, REALLY wish there was a mode that disabled auto-saving. I know I am a broken record on this issue, but I've never cared for them since RE4 and I definitely don't enjoy seeing them here. Without going into too much detail, I generally just disagree with the idea of having dedicated save rooms AND checkpoints on a fundamental level. Oh well, I knew going into this game that it was going to be structured/programmed like every other campaign-like game as of late, but I guess I had to see it for myself. Man, between this game and Alien, it's like they're both SO close to what I'm looking for, but these games always find a way to fuck it up somehow.

Looking forward to playing more after work though...

Papercuts

Finished Chapter 5 and 6, WOW! The game totally hits its groove and enters RE4 variety mode. Every room there is some crazy shit going down. The action is super intense but in a different way from RE4 as even one enemy can pose a real danger. Since ammo is limited, figuring out how to take down multiple enemies with as few ammo as possible is key. Also there is a ton of environmental ways to kill enemies. Chapter 6 in particular is pure RE4 at times, there is one area that involves sniper fire that feels like a chapter that got left out of RE4.

I have fought two major bosses I loved one, the other was just ok. Spoilers for chapter 5 and 6.

Lisa boss battle was fantastic and exactly what I want from this game. I love that at first you don't exactly know what to do but soon you realize she is possessing bodies so it becomes a race to burn bodies and burn her. It just worked on all levels from being intense to being thoughtful. The dog though that was a mess. I guess there is something to the dog in the bushes, I just ran around and avoided the attacks while blasting it with a shotgun. It was a simple pattern, not much too it. Great looking monster and I actually liked the second part where you sneak better. I do like how it was optional to kill the dog or not, this game gives you plenty of options.

The dog one wasn't very clear but when it jumps out of the bushes and runs at you, shooting it with a shotgun made it fall to the ground to shoot it up.

I thought the second part of that was hilarious.
When he said he dropped his glasses I was thinking "are you fucking serious".

The dog one wasn't very clear but when it jumps out of the bushes and runs at you, shooting it with a shotgun made it fall to the ground to shoot it up.

papercuts pls

its not about being able to see

its about feeling normal

There is so much depth in this game's mechanics, it constantly reminds me (past its unfortunate technical issues) that it's a Mikami game, and i love that.
The game provides you with everything you need, and it's up to you how to use what's provided to you.
One example. I was playing ch4 last night. Got home very late but i said i'd play at least one chapter. Obvious ch4 spoiler below.
I was in the last fight, when Ruvik summons the horde. I had enough ammo but i said i'd play smart.
There is a side room in that area. Inside it you can find a ladder that leads to a small landing accessible only from that ladder. Also inside are two red fuel cans.
I placed a can near the bottom of the ladder, then went outside and triggered the event. Enemies spawned and i lured them in the side room. I went up the ladder, shot a couple coming up and when everyone was at the bottom i shot the can. BOOM, all dead with 4-5 handgun bullets.
Prepare for every encounter guys. Search the area and plan first, and i promise you, you'll love this game.

I thought this room in particular was brilliant. Survey the room for items and traps, then realize you're probably going to have to fight something in here. So then you look for things in the environments you can use and where the choke points and escape routes can be.

I thought that fight was super intuitive actually. I felt like the pistol would be too weak, he moved too fast to reliably snipe, and the delay on the explosive bolts...no. Shotgun was the clear answer for his attack pattern and I was pretty surprised when it had a unique effect on him (or at least something I wasn't expecting). Fight came off great to me for that reason.

That second part...classic fucking Mikami. Just going from bad to worse all up in this motherfucker. Happens all the damn time in TEW and I love it.

Seik

Banned
Progressing through 3rd chapter...

*Finds the closed gate*
Seb: ''Great, it's stuck, I would need a chainsaw or something''
Me: Hahaha, yeah right, where could we possibly find a damn chainsaw, RIGHT?!
*Shoots grenade at angry guy in the barn*
*Angry guy gets angrier, breaks the wall and starts running at me at a faster speed than I expected*
Me: HOLY SHIT!
*shoots another grenade*
*shoots handgun*
*shoots another grenade*
*shoots shotgun*
*shoots last crossbow's arrow*

Me: HE JUST WON'T DIE!! >_<
*Sebastian Dies*

Well, I'll try something else tomorrow I guess. On top of it, that's only chapter 3. This game delivers. :p

Can't wait to have more time to play during the week-end, I want more!

Spoo

Chapters 4 and 5 were fantastic. On 6 now, a little worried that
the game will start to look too much like RE4 and won't stick to some of the crazy environmental horror of the last few chapters.
I hope not, since I've really enjoyed that, and as much as I love RE4 I personally have loved the ebb and flow of horror to action in this game. If it stays consistent it will definitely be a GotY contender for me (alongside Alien).

Sanctuary

PSA about a specific weapon upgrade and some cheese:
upgrade the harpoon bolt all the way. It's ridiculously strong, and it also one-shots a particularly annoying enemy later on. It also helps with a certain female friend and it only costs 2 parts. You can also farm parts off of a specific boss, although I'm not sure how high you can go. Possibly 99 parts. The next best bolt upgrade is flash bolt to a minimum of 10s. This allows you to stealth kill 3-4 enemies for one shot and it too only costs 2 parts.

HeelPower

Can I post screenshots showing some amazingly detailed scenery ?

Or would this be considered spoilers ?

Don't want to spoil anyone.

Pollux

Halfway through chapter 6 and I feel like this game still hasn't clicked yet, anyone else have that?

I hate to say it, because I really want to enjoy the game, and it IS fun, but I'm thinking of trading it in. I don't know what it is, but I. Just not feeling it. I think I was expecting something that was more scary and less action oriented :(

Top Bottom