• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I'm really enjoying the nonlinear structure (thr level design I mean) so far. Also all the ridiculous locations the statues are placed. It pays to look through windows.

I'm really appalled at how sloppy I seem to be at the game, though I think part of it is I haven't upgraded my accuracy yet. Missing two headshots even though the reticle is right between the eyes is driving me nuts.

Lucent

And chapter 6 is even better.

Enjoy!

I really didn't like the look of that chapter though. This game seems strongest with interiors, night time, and places like
caves and catacombs.
As far as visuals go and setting. The day time areas don't look so good, but not horrible.

5, 6, and 7 are such a huge leap in quality above the stuff before it that it's actually insane.

A little bit into 9 now and I really like the setup here.

I'm pretty comfortable saying 5+6 is the best individual chunk of any game I've played this year. Just phenomenal.

Finally going to be able to play in a few minutes. Gonna be going hard all night!

antitrop

5, 6, and 7 are such a huge leap in quality above the stuff before it that it's actually insane.

I don't see it with 5, at least. 3, 4, and 5 have all been equally amazing. If I had to pick a favorite of those 3, it would probably be Chapter 3.

Gonna have to disagree on 5 and 6 especially, they were a little too
actiony and chapter 6 especially was void of any atmospheric tension. The dog boss was just horrible as well.
I did enjoy them though.

Dresden

Tried out the flash bolt, thanks for the tip. Definitely upgrading it now. Also made those
invisible stalkers
trivial.

Has anyone fully upgraded melee? Worth it at all?

antitrop

I'm really enjoying the nonlinear structure (thr level design I mean) so far.

Clearing houses in Chapters 3 and 4 has got to be some of the best gaming I've done in years. Just a very satisfying sense of progression and learning the way the game works.

It was hilarious to see the end of Chapter 3, because you realize, in hindsight, how small the level actually is, but when the village is so densely packed with enemies at the beginning, a foot is a mile, ya know?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Someone explain to me how I'm supposed to be doing these rigged chests. First one I did by holding X and I heard a beep and then let go and it worked.

The second one I found at the beginning of chapter 4 I kept blowing up on. Eventually I managed to get it by getting lucky I assume? I don't know.

Do you hold X and as soon as you see the bomb let go? Or do you hold it until it beeps and then let go?

antitrop

Someone explain to me how I'm supposed to be doing these rigged chests. First one I did by holding X and I heard a beep and then let go and it worked.

The second one I found at the beginning of chapter 4 I kept blowing up on. Eventually I managed to get it by getting lucky I assume? I don't know.

Do you hold X and as soon as you see the bomb let go? Or do you hold it until it beeps and then let go?

You want to open it as far as it will go without exploding and then let go. There's no penalty for letting it go too early, so just play chicken with it until you get it. It's easy.

You also have to be crouching.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't see it with 5, at least. 3, 4, and 5 have all been equally amazing. If I had to pick a favorite of those 3, it would probably be Chapter 3.

That speaks more to how much I've liked 5+ more than anything else. I still liked 3 and 4, 3 is especially well designed like you noted by realizing the playspace itself isn't all that big but it's utilized damn well.

But the length and variety in 5+6 is pretty crazy.

Gonna have to disagree on 5 and 6 especially, they were a little too
actiony and chapter 6 especially was void of any atmospheric tension. The dog boss was just horrible as well.
I did enjoy them though.

6 felt like it was right out of RE4 to me, which I loved. I really like the combat here so that big setpiece was a ton of fun for me.

The dog wasn't as good of a fight as the end of 5 but I still enjoyed it.

Bucca

You want to open it as far as it will go without exploding and then let go.

Ah okay, thanks. I have the shittest luck/timing with the damn thing.

Side note, fucking game glitched out on me in Ch. 3.
The fuckin' chainsaw glitched through the ground and I had to reload the save.

It fixed it but I lost 5000 gel because of the reload.

Something some people tend to forget it seems is that these "virtual" headsets, or sound cards using Dolby Headphone (or a similar tech) are not able to replicate exact positional audio that you would hear through a 5.1+ stereo setup. It's an approximation. I've heard instances like described above through my own headphones that sounded correct through a stereo.

If you really want flawless positional audio through headphones, you need a rasterizer, and those cost a fortune.
Really? I saw this one for pretty cheap online!
IMG-20120728-01432.jpg

kidding aside, I can imagine being immersed to a whole other level with a set that powerful..but I can't seem to get into playing games with a headset period, but then again I don't have family or an S/O who lives with me to bother when I'm playing either..

Grisby

Chapter 10 was going so swimmingly. It was great.

The Laura stuff wasn't super great although that bomb by one of the switches was a sadistic touch. How do you get that goddess statue that's by the elevator btw?

All that and it wasn't even the final boss, of which I think I'm going to fight.

I'm in Chapter 6 and have felt that the quality has been consistent throughout. The only weak spot was the introduction, walking to the hospital. Outside of those 30 seconds, flawless.

6 felt like it was right out of RE4 to me, which I loved. I really like the combat here so that big setpiece was a ton of fun for me.

The dog wasn't as good of a fight as the end of 5 but I still enjoyed it.

I just felt the hospital was the least interesting place in the game thus far, and defending the cage was a really weak setpiece imo. I did love the invisible enemies though, and the puzzle rooms were cool. The fight with limb chick was crazy stressful and awesome too

Chapter 6 was visually amazing but I was disappointed that there are levels in broad daylight. It did have some amazing action sequences as you said a la RE4 though. Chapter 7 was absolutely incredible though and along with 3 was my favorite so far.

antitrop

I'm in Chapter 6 and have felt that the quality has been consistent throughout. The only weak spot was the introduction, walking to the hospital. Outside of those 30 seconds, flawless.

Pretty much. My complaints about the story and characters are, ultimately, nitpicks, because this game is absolutely fucking phenomenal whenever you're directly in control of a character.

Pacing and variety, Mikami trademarks, are here in spades. It's a beautiful thing to experience.

I'm pretty comfortable saying 5+6 is the best individual chunk of any game I've played this year. Just phenomenal.

Finally going to be able to play in a few minutes. Gonna be going hard all night!

Go back and play Tropical Freeze yo. Juicy Jungle and DK Island.

Kidding. I feel ya though, I'm thinking the same thing myself about chapters 3 and 7. Though I guess that doesn't constitute an individual chunk haha.

Just started this on PS4. First off, I really enjoyed Chapter 1, it was a good introduction. Secondly, I think the game looks downright impressive in many ways. I actually got frightened during a few scenes.

antitrop

Just started this on PS4. First off, I really enjoyed Chapter 1, it was a good introduction. Secondly, I think the game looks downright impressive in many ways. I actually got frightened during a few scenes.
This game looks so good, I'm trying to start mentally preparing myself for how good The Order will look. Because this is blowing me away, visually, I don't think I'm going to be able to handle that.

There's slim chance of it actually being a better game than The Evil Within, though

Bucca

The enemy design in this is fantastic. I love looking at how fucked up they all are.

Lucent

This game looks so good, I'm trying to start mentally preparing myself for how good The Order will look. Because this is blowing me away, visually, I don't think I'm going to be able to handle that.

There's slim chance of it actually being a better game than The Evil Within, though

Yeah I'm afraid of that happening. Kinda pointless for a game to look awesome if it's not fun or good. My biggest concern for that right now is that it'll be a super linear corridor shooter.

Shoot, I may have to start over! :(

I miss the keys!

What do the keys give you in those lockers?

Crap!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure I've missed many keys. But what the lockers give you is random. It can be health items, ammo, gel, or even get another key to open another locker just to troll you. lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Or a useless one.

I mean, that's the nature of an open-ended upgrade system, right? You can't really balance the game around being able to sprint for more than three seconds if you can't be sure all players will choose to unlock it.

So, I always figure the point of an upgrade system like this isn't to be essential so much as it is to encourage personalisation and little discoveries. When your game is entirely linear, it's nice to give the player the feeling that they're doing something that makes their game feel different from everyone else's. It also forces you to make hard choices regarding what you want to upgrade and when --- do you hold off for the 50000 gel harpoon upgrade, or do you upgrade your stock now because you really need some more shotgun shells?

If there was just a one size fits all "this is clearly the optimal upgrade path"... well, I mean, what's the point? It's what I hated about the one Ratchet and Clank game I played (A Crack in Time, I think): you always, conveniently, had *just enough* currency to spend on the next upgrade as soon as it became available. The in-game economy was pointless.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
TBH, I kind of wish TEW didn't have the upgrade system. Its just.. I'm really into Destiny right now as well and the second I found myself trying decide between stamina recovery and my shotgun accuracy in TEW I kinda got upset. Its fine. I'm just gonna dump my points with reckless abandon. But it is inelegant. It feels like a needless complication.

Mupod

What you dudes upgrading? Decided to focus on sprint and matches for now.

Just cleared chapter 6. I'm methodical with searching and got a bit lucky finding gel in my key doors, so I'm pretty nicely upgraded. Got matches to 10 and it's been fine - I rarely leave any behind and I've yet to run out. I use them a *lot*.

Upgraded health a few times in order to max out my hp at some critical moments. Too expensive for that now though, so I might have to start digging into these medkits someday.

Pistol crit is at 30%. I'll go to 50% eventually. Started upgrading accuracy but it doesn't seem to affect the reticule, so it seems useless.

Put lots of gel into flash bolts and harpoons - flashes in particular are insanely useful. Harpoon is going to be my boss killer since now things are showing up that actually need me to do damage. Upgrading shotgun seems like it might be a good idea too. I'm like a moth to flame when it comes to bomb defusals, need more bolts!

Also maxed out agony bolt stock and got the cheap stock upgrades for everything. It's good to spread some points around since everything gets far, far more expensive after a few levels. Plus it's not like I'm just using one weapon the whole game - there's no Red9 or Plasma Cutter here, and enemies don't drop a lot of ammo. Honestly that might be this game's real success, I feel like I'm using my whole arsenal all the time.

simtmb

Got it yesterday, played and finished Chapters 1-4.
Honestly, aside from the first cutscene and little play section, the first
stealth section
and onwards til the logo, is one of the best opening gameplay moments I've experienced for awhile. It just clicked, and black bars or whatever, i was completely immersed, and absolutely loved the sound and visuals, despite its technical shortcomings.

For the longest time, i could not remember a moment i played more than 30 mins during a single sit down of any game, ever since i stopped playing much, but i found myself completely hooked with this one and got through those first 4 chapters.

If it only gets better...then i'm really in for a treat :)

Got to chapter 9 and decided to stop for today. Chapter six was good, and then that
damn dog fight happened.
It wasn't awful or anything, it was just a little annoying.
Sometimes I'd be hit on the ground and then he'd just run over me again and pretty much kill me.
Felt satisfying to beat him though. And I totally love the atmosphere of chapter 7, it really felt like Resident Evil, and
The Keeper fight
was really good.

I'm excited to play more tomorrow :)

Tried out the flash bolt, thanks for the tip. Definitely upgrading it now. Also made those
invisible stalkers
trivial.

Has anyone fully upgraded melee? Worth it at all?

you totally skipped my reply to your original post -__-

short answer. no. not at all.

Mupod

Got to chapter 9 and decided to stop for today. Chapter six was good, and then that
damn dog fight happened.
It wasn't awful or anything, it was just a little annoying.
Sometimes I'd be hit on the ground and then he'd just run over me again and pretty much kill me.

I just fought that boss. It was...kind of weird. I avoided most damage by just running around him in circles. I also fucked up because I wasted a lot of ammo and health trying to find a weakness to exploit on my next attempt, and then accidentally finished him off.

I just fought that boss. It was...kind of weird. I avoided most damage by just running around him in circles. I also fucked up because I wasted a lot of ammo and health trying to find a weakness to exploit on my next attempt, and then accidentally finished him off.

It was definitely weird, and by far my least favorite fight so far.
I got lucky and ended up killing him while I was trying to get him to kill me so I could retry. He was about to kill me and then he just collapsed and died after a few shots. I wasted all my good ammo too, which was why I was trying to get him to kill me in the first place.

Lucent

Just started chapter 9. 10 hours in (I'm really taking my time I guess. Sorta. I only have 5 map pieces...)

But man, the
mansion
is beautiful.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It was definitely weird, and by far my least favorite fight so far.
I got lucky and ended up killing him while I was trying to get him to kill me so I could retry. He was about to kill me and then he just collapsed and died after a few shots. I wasted all my good ammo too, which was why I was trying to get him to kill me in the first place.

For this it helped a lot to shoot him with the shotgun when he ran out of the bushes charging at you. Makes it fall over and you have a good amount of time to do whatever to him.

Gaz_RB

This game looks amazing graphically. I love the look Mikami went for, black bars and all. Also (chapter five)
spider girl is scaring the shit out of me.

Varna

Playing this right after Alien was a huge mistake. That's a survival horror game.

Forget what chapter I'm on... I'm not that far a long
just got to the point were you have to save someone from being executed with a sniper rifle
. Just not feeling this game at all. I guess my biggest mistake was the expectations. I appreciate the limited inventory but this is about as much as a return to survival horror as Resident Evil: Revelations was. The early chapters had a good mix of sneak and exploration but that quickly changed.

Gator86

Seriously fuck the
teleoporting one-hit kill bosses. I see the red hair lady, turn run a couple feet then climb a short ladder. As soon as I get near the top I'm instakilled by the red hair lady. Are you fucking kidding me? I couldn't even see her coming up the ladder because the camera is always crammed so far up the character's ass.

Finally picked this up last night since it didn't come out till yesterday in Australia.

Was so tired by the time I got to play it that I just played through chapter 1 then saved and quit, not wanting to waste time playing it when I basically felt like shit and just wanted to go to sleep.

Didn't think much of chapter 1 other than the bit before entering the building at the start I actually found pretty cool in an eery/foreboding way, something about it just caused me to think "things are going to get really fucked up at some point" haha.

I knew the game would get much better and even by about halfway through chapter 2 today I was liking it. On chapter 3 right now and really starting to get into it. There are definitely things that I feel are just plain bad design choices but they've been mentioned many times by others and the more I start to like the game as a whole, the less those things bother me.

I wasn't expecting much from the story but really just can't enjoy it even on a hokey/camp level so far, but maybe once I get further into the game I'll forget about it.

Atmosphere has been amazing and gradually gotten better and better - the art direction is faultless which just makes the black bars all the more of a shame. I didn't expect them to bother me that much but I just can't help but think how much better the overall experience would be without them.

Playing with IEMs plugged into my DS4 is pretty awesome and enhances the experience greatly. Looking forward to playing through the rest of the game over the weekend.

Jobbs

Banned

just did him a bit ago. I get the feeling maybe I was supposed to be sneaking around or something, but I couldn't seem to succeed, so I just kept trying to blast him with everything until eventually after a few tries it worked and he dropped dead when I had a pixel of health left.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously fuck the
teleoporting one-hit kill bosses. I see the red hair lady, turn run a couple feet then climb a short ladder. As soon as I get near the top I'm instakilled by the red hair lady. Are you fucking kidding me? I couldn't even see her coming up the ladder because the camera is always crammed so far up the character's ass.

I'm completely blanking: what chapter is this?

Top Bottom