• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 5. The game is great when it's just regular enemies and stuff. Whenever it tries to do some tense showdown or something it falls flat on its face.

Oh! You mean
the black-haired lady
, right?

Made it to chapter 9 yesterday but had to take a break because of school now finally on break
fucking ruvik scares the shit out of me and kills me instantly
I love it.

Gator86

Oh! You mean
the black-haired lady
, right?

Yeah,
I guess it's more of a red aura.
I got it on the third try I think. The second time I died because I attacked with a torch from around a corner and the attack glitched through and I was instakilled again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
and, yeah, I generally thought the insta-kill moves were bullshit as well. There are a few instances of enemies with instant kill throughout the game, unfortunately.

I like the tension it brought the encounters, but I'd rather it had been at a resource cost rather than an outright death. At least I'll be ready for those moments if I ever choose to play on AKUMA :|

Playing this right after Alien was a huge mistake. That's a survival horror game.

Forget what chapter I'm on... I'm not that far a long
just got to the point were you have to save someone from being executed with a sniper rifle
. Just not feeling this game at all. I guess my biggest mistake was the expectations. I appreciate the limited inventory but this is about as much as a return to survival horror as Resident Evil: Revelations was. The early chapters had a good mix of sneak and exploration but that quickly changed.

and it actually was, if you can't agree with that this game isn't for you, point blank, quit now and go play Alien isolation (aka slender man alien edition) and enjoy that game instead.

Teknoman

and it actually was, if you can't agree with that this game isn't for you, point blank, quit now and go play Alien isolation (aka slender man alien edition) and enjoy that game instead.

I dunno man, Revelations wasnt exactly strong after the early ship sections. I dont mind action survival horror at all, but when the enemies dont give good feedback, you dont really feel threatened from the designs, and the guns sound like pop guns...doesnt make for a great experience (talking about Revelations, not Evil Within).

I dunno man, Revelations wasnt exactly strong after the early ship sections.

at least it was pointing in the right direction, some of the decisions they made to "high octane action" it up a notch were baffling, If those were merely cutscenes i wouldn't even have been mad.

edit:

I dunno man, Revelations wasnt exactly strong after the early ship sections. I dont mind action survival horror at all, but when the enemies dont give good feedback, you dont really feel threatened from the designs, and the guns sound like pop guns...doesnt make for a great experience (talking about Revelations, not Evil Within).
feedback? I recall the enemies flinching from my attacks..even falling over if it was one they were "weak" to..

Gator86

and, yeah, I generally thought the insta-kill moves were bullshit as well. There are a few instances of enemies with instant kill throughout the game, unfortunately.

I like the tension it brought the encounters, but I'd rather it had been at a resource cost rather than an outright death. At least I'll be ready for those moments if I ever choose to play on AKUMA :|

I feel the opposite. I feel more tension and immersion in the game when fighting regular enemies or sneaking around. Fighting the one hit kill bullshit enemies pulls me out and kills the immersion because I'm questioning game mechanics and dying to trial and error bullshit. Those encounters just feel divorced from the rest of the game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Playing this right after Alien was a huge mistake. That's a survival horror game.

tumblr_lmpfj6rjab1qclt3z.gif

Jobbs

Banned
This is a rough game to play directly after the last of us... the animation, framerate and camera are so much worse it's not funny :(

Incidentally, there are some similarities too, and even in chapter 6 or 7 Sebastion says
"you don't have to worry about me" a verbatim quote from a memorable line heard a couple of times in TLOU.

Nuke Soda

On Chapter 10 and the game is slowly growing on me. Chapter 9 was pretty good, no wonder it is the chapter shown the most.
Story wise I like the idea that all these minds have melded into one.

Varna

at least it was pointing in the right direction, some of the decisions they made to "high octane action" it up a notch were baffling, If those were merely cutscenes i wouldn't even have been mad.

See, this is the biggest problem I have this shit. These guys, they know how to make a good survival horror game. There is absolutely no question about it. But they insist on playing it safe and just loading up with shooting and explosions because they can't just cater to those who want that experience and they can't believe it's possible for most to enjoy that type of experience.

That's enough of that though. I can see it's a good game. But honestly fell a bit mislead by the PR. I'll come back to it later when I'm feeling like handling yet another action game.

Incidentally, there are some similarities too, and even in chapter 6 or 7 Sebastion says
"you don't have to worry about me" a verbatim quote from a memorable line heard a couple of times in TLOU.

I've noticed a pretty strong last of us influence also, i'm only up to chapter 4 though.

addyb

Had a very quick blast last night due to tiredness. Finished chapter 1. That was a bit weird but getting chased Had me a bit on edge
also
attacking that first guy after cutting yourself down went totally wrong. Arm and then head lobbed off

I laughed.

I think he's right in that neither of them contain most of the elements I associate with classic survival horror such as map traversal and discovery, backtracking through potentially dangerous areas, route planning and inventory management (beyond just having limited supplies).

I think he's right in that neither of them contain most of the elements I associate with classic survival horror such as map traversal and discovery, backtracking through potentially dangerous areas, route planning and inventory management (beyond just having limited supplies).

These games are long gone ever since RE4 hit mainstream. Now all we got is REmaster remake which hopefully sells well so that it sends a message to Capcom, but why TEW makes me so happy is that it's consistent in horror and psychological horror, mood, atmosphere save for a very few chapters in the total length of the game (We are talking about
fucking chapters here
) which so far no TPS ever did so far, last one that did so was Dead Space 1 and we know what happened to the sequels, which is a shame even though I enjoyed 2 but 3 was eh, I enjoyed it as an action game more.

Before TEW came out all we had for horror games were hide and seek survival horror type games or RE5/RE6 type of games. There were no survival horror games that put emphasis on variety in many levels, enemies, weapons, pacing.etc which TEW does in flying colors. All the chapters in TEW introduces something new whether it's in the story, a new weapon, new type of enemy and of course no one level is the same. It also has memorable boss battles and they aren't just a few of them which is great then we come to the upgrade system and how that impacts your gameplay depending on how you play then
the safe key system and the whole save hub area.
I don't know, the more I talk about TEW, the more I see just why I love it alot and enjoying the fuck out of it. It certainly is doing more than scratching that itch I had for a meaty and lengthy survival horror game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Holy hell.

Chapter 6 on Akumu is absolutely brutal. I literally just finished it, after keeping at it for over 6 hours.

But it feels so good to be past that. I can already tell Chapter 6 is going to be the breaking point for many who do a Akumu playthrough, it requires a lot of strategy, instant reaction time, survival skills, and effort.

The worst part was the
house on fire
segment. The lack of checkpoint between the first and second part of that made it brutal. But nothing after that was easy either.

The
dog
boss was surprisingly easier than I thought it'd be, but maybe my nerves were strengthened by that point by everything before it.

Teknoman

edit:

feedback? I recall the enemies flinching from my attacks..even falling over if it was one they were "weak" to..

Maybe its just me then. I went for traditional weak points (fleshy spots, face, knee, whatever) but they wouldnt budge as expected ala 4-6. I'm biased since I didnt like the T-abyss enemies :p

Enough about that though.

Looks like i'm going to have to wait until I get a new video card to really enjoy the game. I made it to Chapter 3 just fine, but now it gets framey to the point of stopping entirely if there is alot of action nearby.

I just finished chapter
after 1.5 hours sitting on the boss, lmao. I royally fucked myself when going into the boss with just 4 pistol ammo, 3 shotgun shells, 3 grenades, 2 syringes, 2 electric bolts and 1 freeze bolt. A tip for those who reach there and don't have alot of ammo.

Dodge alot, run and try taking the boss up, hiding in the ceiling and try identifying where he is by the little turds he spawns as well as his saliva dripping from which ever hole he is hiding in the ceiling. As soon as you do don't shoot him down nor go under him just keep shooting the little turds so that they drop ammo, I pretty much grinded ammo like that and defeated the boss after much trial and error, not killing the little turds and letting them explode in mid air if they jumped at you and miss will not drop you anything so you'll have to kill them if you want the ammo drops which makes it a bitch. It would have been a much easier boss, way way easier if I had the ammo lol. By the end of the fight I was 0 on pretty much everything.

Onto chapter 15!

Lucent

Holy hell.

Chapter 6 on Akumu is absolutely brutal. I literally just finished it, after keeping at it for over 6 hours.

But it feels so good to be past that. I can already tell Chapter 6 is going to be the breaking point for many who do a Akumu playthrough, it requires a lot of strategy, instant reaction time, survival skills, and effort.

The worst part was the
house on fire
segment. The lack of checkpoint between the first and second part of that made it brutal. But nothing after that was easy either.

The
dog
boss was surprisingly easier than I thought it'd be, but maybe my nerves were strengthened by that point by everything before it.

Damn 6 hours on that chapter? Yeah that doesn't sound fun. lol. If they don't give you anything beside a trophy/achievement for doing it I probably won't. I'll do a nightmare run through though. lol.

Game isn't really scary though. A few parts startled me but didn't scare me.

More disturbing than frightening.
Nah, just keep playing. Think of it as something to look forward to on a replay.
Yeah, forget it. I just continued where I left off.

I got a locker that had two keys. Only got gels and some ammo. Not worth starting over for those.

-MD-

Damn 6 hours on that chapter? Yeah that doesn't sound fun. lol. If they don't give you anything beside a trophy/achievement for doing it I probably won't. I'll do a nightmare run through though. lol.

Yeah 6 hours on chapter 6 sounds like the worst thing ever.

I'll do hard mode next for sure.

Squishy3

Okay fuck that section right after the miniboss enemy thing in Chapter 10. I wish it checkpointed after beating him because I don't feel like figuring out this trap gauntlet while having to fucking fight him every single time.

Lucent

I just finished chapter 9.
Man that mansion was great. That fight in the barn though. Took me a few deaths to figure out what to do.
But even then I'm still not entirely sure what I did. lol

So far my inventory consists of

Handgun with 6 in the clip and 26 in stock.

Shotgun with 5 in the clip and 7 in stock

Sniper rifle with 5 in the clip and 10 in stock (plus 6 in the locker)

4 grenades

Agony bolts - 2 explosive, 2 shocking, 1 frost, 2 light, 2 harpoon

4 syringes

1 med kit
Am I playing too carefully? lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, chapter 6 was awesome. This game does not have a great first impression but once you get into it there's a lot to love. It's a twisted action adventure game more so than survival horror but it scratches an itch I've had gaming wise for a long time.

See, this is the biggest problem I have this shit. These guys, they know how to make a good survival horror game. There is absolutely no question about it. But they insist on playing it safe and just loading up with shooting and explosions because they can't just cater to those who want that experience and they can't believe it's possible for most to enjoy that type of experience.

That's enough of that though. I can see it's a good game. But honestly fell a bit mislead by the PR. I'll come back to it later when I'm feeling like handling yet another action game.
Agreed I'm hoping beyond hope that they get it right with rev2 but in the back of my head I know they'll eff it up, the partner in the reveal gameplay was discouraging.

I just finished chapter
after 1.5 hours sitting on the boss, lmao. I royally fucked myself when going into the boss with just 4 pistol ammo, 3 shotgun shells, 3 grenades, 2 syringes, 2 electric bolts and 1 freeze bolt. A tip for those who reach there and don't have alot of ammo.

Dodge alot, run and try taking the boss up, hiding in the ceiling and try identifying where he is by the little turds he spawns as well as his saliva dripping from which ever hole he is hiding in the ceiling. As soon as you do don't shoot him down nor go under him just keep shooting the little turds so that they drop ammo, I pretty much grinded ammo like that and defeated the boss after much trial and error, not killing the little turds and letting them explode in mid air if they jumped at you and miss will not drop you anything so you'll have to kill them if you want the ammo drops which makes it a bitch. It would have been a much easier boss, way way easier if I had the ammo lol. By the end of the fight I was 0 on pretty much everything.

Onto chapter 15!
Looking forward to what you think of the ending and the twist on an earlier battle before the last boss, and make sure your flash bolts are maxed you're in for a test of all you've learned.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell.

The worst part was the
house on fire

The
dog
Refresh my memory:

the house on fire segment, as in the barn? I thought that was way later for some reason, like, chapter nine.

Dusk Golem

Got all the map fragments and found out what they do!

The map glows, and when you observe it, a weapon cache appears and you get a High-Penetration Sniper Rifle and a Burst Handgun (maybe this is also where you would get the Hunting Shotgun without the Fighting Chance Pack? Not sure.).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

The map glows, and when you observe it, a weapon cache appears and you get a High-Penetration Sniper Rifle and a Burst Handgun.
Well that explains their models in the model-viewer. Maybe the
brass knuckles
are for beating AKUMU mode.

Lucent

The map glows, and when you observe it, a weapon cache appears and you get a High-Penetration Sniper Rifle and a Burst Handgun (maybe this is also where you would get the Hunting Shotgun without the Fighting Chance Pack? Not sure.

brass knuckles

That's awesome. And yeah I wanna know where those
brass knuckles
are. Would be funny.

Dusk Golem

brass knuckles

That's one theory, that or
for beating nightmare or beating the game under 5 hours or something.

All that's left is for official word to find out what you get for beating Nightmare & Akumu difficulty, and if anything unlocks if you get everything (as in, all lockers unlocked, all documents) or if you beat the game under 5 hours.

My theory is maybe if you beat Akumu mode
you'll get infinite ammo for each weapon.
, but to be seen.

Dresden

Going through chapter six - it's wonderful whenever the game opens up and lets you play around in a big, intricate level - but I'm beginning to hate Joseph.

DVCY201

Nearly done Chapter 10. Chapter 9 with
Ruvik
was incredibly creative and tense. Whew, story is also getting interesting too, looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Lucent

Nearly done Chapter 10. Chapter 9 with
Ruvik
was incredibly creative and tense. Whew, story is also getting interesting too, looking forward to seeing how it ends.

I'm on that chapter right now. So far it's pretty cool. I haven't seen anything yet that makes people say it's one of the top chapters, but hopefully that's coming and I see it, too.

-MD-

Was it just me or did chapter 8 seem kinda pointless? Onto the infamous chapter 9 and beyond tomorrow. Night GAF.

People were calling it filler, it was only about 20-25 minutes long but I enjoyed it. It just felt like an extension of chapter 7 but they separated them because they wanted a save screen after the boss fight.

How are the puzzles on hard/akumu by the way? Are they still RE4 tier easy?

Top Bottom