• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

This
merry go round with the blade is being stupid.
lol. An enemy snuck up on me and strangled me until a
blade came by and killed us both
. =l

Gator86

Going through chapter six - it's wonderful whenever the game opens up and lets you play around in a big, intricate level - but I'm beginning to hate Joseph.

Joseph murders tension. The game is a goofy action shooter when he's around. I ran in circles around him while he axed enemies at the beginning of the chapter to farm supplies.

The game is an absolute failure plot and character-wise through chapter 7. It's not surprising considering but it's also not even hilariously hammy like RE. It's like if you took a high school English class and told them to write a suspenseful story. You'd get this game.

Just finished. Great game, and some really cool extras for beating it. It's definitely got one foot rooted in RE4, but with a much more sinister psychological bent to it. I think there is a bit too many story/walk segments that make it less replayable, but the core combat sections are excellent. Chapter 6 really kicks it off and it just ramps up from there.

Sanctuary

I'm really enjoying the nonlinear structure (thr level design I mean) so far. Also all the ridiculous locations the statues are placed. It pays to look through windows.

I'm really appalled at how sloppy I seem to be at the game, though I think part of it is I haven't upgraded my accuracy yet. Missing two headshots even though the reticle is right between the eyes is driving me nuts.

Don't worry, fully upgraded aim allows you to only miss 1.5 times instead. Seriously, the reticle is pointless for the pistol. The only dot that seems to matter at all is the center, otherwise scream with glee as your bullets phase right through enemy hitboxes.

Nearly done Chapter 10. Chapter 9 with
Ruvik
was incredibly creative and tense. Whew, story is also getting interesting too, looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Tense = run to the stairwell and run around like an episode of Benny Hill until he vanishes...

Just beat chapter 4, I must say it took me a while to get a handle on how the shooting and such works, but once I got used to it it was quite dandy. I keep forgetting that this isn't RE4 and engaging in combat with every enemy probably isn't ideal. Also, I need to get used to those damn black bars. I didn't like them in Dragon's Dogma and I certainly don't like them here, especially when it cuts down on what I can see on screen.

Just beat chapter 4, I must say it took me a while to get a handle on how the shooting and such works, but once I got used to it it was quite dandy. I keep forgetting that this isn't RE4 and engaging in combat with every enemy probably isn't ideal. Also, I need to get used to those damn black bars. I didn't like them in Dragon's Dogma and I certainly don't like them here, especially when it cuts down on what I can see on screen.

If you're playing on PC, you can fix up the black bars.

Lucent

Finally beat it, great game but I think they dropped the ball with the last chapter and specially the last boss.

Interesting. Dusk put chapters 10 and 15 as his top two chapters. I'm currently on chapter 10 so I dunno how 15 is yet. lol

I honestly don't notice it anymore. But I'm on a 39" TV and I sit like 4 feet away. lol

Lucent

I've just sat here for 4 hours.
Dabbled with KI for a little bit.

Need to get back into this tomorrow.

Here is a clip from my play through,
when you first deal with a Sadist..and this was Survivor difficulty:
Steal the keys in front of him.

How?

Wait til he leaves and heads into that doorway. Take them while he's still going into the doorway and le
ave immediately.

EDIT: Oops...double post. =l

Sanctuary

I mean, that's the nature of an open-ended upgrade system, right? You can't really balance the game around being able to sprint for more than three seconds if you can't be sure all players will choose to unlock it.

So, I always figure the point of an upgrade system like this isn't to be essential so much as it is to encourage personalisation and little discoveries. When your game is entirely linear, it's nice to give the player the feeling that they're doing something that makes their game feel different from everyone else's. It also forces you to make hard choices regarding what you want to upgrade and when --- do you hold off for the 50000 gel harpoon upgrade, or do you upgrade your stock now because you really need some more shotgun shells?

If there was just a one size fits all "this is clearly the optimal upgrade path"... well, I mean, what's the point? It's what I hated about the one Ratchet and Clank game I played (A Crack in Time, I think): you always, conveniently, had *just enough* currency to spend on the next upgrade as soon as it became available. The in-game economy was pointless.

That 50000 goes a hell of a long way through once you finally spend it. Harpoons only cost 2 parts, and parts are super easy to come by. The bolts will one-shot every basic enemy as well as two-shot
early Keepers and they one-shot fake Ruvik.
It's kind of like having a slower
magnum
with a hell of a lot more ammo.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Interesting. Dusk put chapters 10 and 15 as his top two chapters. I'm currently on chapter 10 so I dunno how 15 is yet. lol

10 and 15 I think are my favorites, 15 however I could understand definitely if someone feels differently. Without spoiling anything huge, the chapter contains three things that might either make you love or hate it (I am not going into specific here, so no big spoilers, but will ruin the tone and what sort of thing the final chapter does):

The first third of it is completely lacking in enemies and is basically exploring and getting further in a location. The second third is an unrelenting enemy showdown with some interesting twists on familiar enemies. The last third is a cinematic battle, which I usually don't like, but I actually really liked the cinematic boss battle here and would be my favorite of its kind.

Lucent

I got a 50'' that I sit like 5 feet away from. I'm gonna have to have some serious vertical tunnel vision not to notice lol.

lol. Well I'm also playing in the dark. So I think it kinda helps so all I'm paying attention to is the only light in the room. I know it's not good for your eyes but...#YOLO

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It does seem like the harpoon would be nuts upgraded. It might be weird but I've kinda held off on what seems optimal to try and make the game harder. I have over 50 parts to make arrow ammo, I avoided getting crit chance above 10% for different guns since I like the chunks of head being taken out, and I'm still fine on ammo usually.

I guess it's my way of trying to equalize not being able to just pick hard from the start.

RE: Black bars, I got used to them quickly as I expected. I think the bigger issue is just the camera angle, and how it can disorient you while you aim with how much that zooms in. It's also waaaaay too close in the save room. If they pull a RE6 and give a bunch of options to pull and mess with that I would really appreciate it.

Lucent

OMG chapter 10 is pretty crazy right now.

That
room full of grinders and the tall monster with the huge club.

The music just makes it worse (in a good way)

JoeFenix

Holy hell.

Chapter 6 on Akumu is absolutely brutal. I literally just finished it, after keeping at it for over 6 hours.

But it feels so good to be past that. I can already tell Chapter 6 is going to be the breaking point for many who do a Akumu playthrough, it requires a lot of strategy, instant reaction time, survival skills, and effort.

The worst part was the
house on fire
segment. The lack of checkpoint between the first and second part of that made it brutal. But nothing after that was easy either.

The
dog
boss was surprisingly easier than I thought it'd be, but maybe my nerves were strengthened by that point by everything before it.

Congrats, now prepare yourself for chapter 11. Pure Hell.

Just completed the game. Apart from the technical stuff and a few chapters going full on action(or to be more specific,
enemies with guns
)which is not something I prefer but I know some people on here do, I absolutely loved it and will be one that I will be playing multiple times. Chapter 15 was AMAZING but not everyone will love it. Apart from the encounters and the things you learn about the story, the level design is fantastic and has a few Mikami winks to the player. The ending without spoiling anything is alright, nothing special. It answers few major things but at the same time is vague and has that uncertainty feeling, going by what Mikami stated in interviews as I read in the spoiler thread, it will be one that players would have to dissect the notes, posters, newspapers as well as hints in the level design themselves, kind of like Silent Hill games in that regard. The final boss fight is good, maybe even great but not amazing. Certainly better than RE4's wait for Ada to throw you that red rocket to one hit kill the boss, imo.

My favorite chapters from favorite to least favorite

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 9
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 6
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 14
Chapter 13
Chapter 12
Chapter 11
Chapter 2
Chapter 1
Chapter 8

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Congrats, now prepare yourself for chapter 11. Pure Hell.

Chapter 11 is one I knew from the get go is going to be hell. I mean, there's a number of tough positions, and Chapter 6 was brutal, though I think 7, 8, and 9 will be doable.

Chapter 10 I have some concerns about the boss, and chapter 11 I believe will be the hardest of it all.

Chapter 12 will be a bit difficult but doable, Chapter 13 is already mostly stealth based so that should be fine, Chapter 14 I am not looking forward to the boss fight, Chapter 15 will have its own challenges.

Man, the AI is really pulling this game down. Like, was is so difficult to program an AI that is directly attacking you? It's pure comedy to watch what the AI is doing when enemies spot you before the actually attack. I mean, come on, how could this possibly passed through play testing?

That said, the game almost finally got me at the end of chapter 3. The boss fight was really neat. Beginning of chapter 4 was neat as well and it's a real shame they ended it with cheap scripts and trial and error. Encountered a lot of bugs too. Man...

Really hope the story makes sense at some point. So far everything that happens seems completely random and I don't really grasp what this is all about. I kinda have a hunch where this is going to but they could have really presented this more interesting.

JoeFenix

Chapter 11 is one I knew from the get go is going to be hell. I mean, there's a number of tough positions, and Chapter 6 was brutal, though I think 7, 8, and 9 will be doable.

Chapter 10 I have some concerns about the boss, and chapter 11 I believe will be the hardest of it all.

Chapter 12 will be a bit difficult but doable, Chapter 13 is already mostly stealth based so that should be fine, Chapter 14 I am not looking forward to the boss fight, Chapter 15 will have its own challenges.

Yeah, that's how I see it too. The final stretch will be rough.

Some guy on my stream was saying he beat the game on Akumu in 10 hours with 100 deaths, no upgrades. LOL!

He posted screens but it's on 360 of course where there's already hacked saves and trainers available. When i asked him for strats he would just say stuff that made no sense, that guy said he was defusing all wall bombs on Akumu.... Good luck with that hah!

There's also this guy SPOILER WARNINGS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsVz3cFj9I8&list=UU0VOn94YirhcxWMgp-0O_Lw

Clear stats are really close to the dude on my stream. Definitely hacked saves. Lame stuff.

Lucent

Chapter 10

Just killed
those two bastards that chase you around and have that Scorpion move if you're too far away. I unloaded on them by using a shock bolt and then some explosive bolts. I used a freeze bolt to give me time to heal and then I stunned them again and lobbed two grenades at them. Killed them both at the same time.
Felt good. And I still have a lot of ammo for my other weapons.

Bebpo

Banned
I think I really hate this game :\ So bummed, I fucking love survival horror and love Mikami.

Just finished Chapter 3 which took me 2 hours and like 50 deaths because I'm the kind of person who likes to explore every nook and cranny of the village, kill every enemy, find every treasure. But since there's very limited ammo and your melee attack only gets you killed since it does no damage...was a looooot of trial and experiment to find out enemy locations/setups, where items/ammo were. Finding the save area helped A LOT but I didn't find that until about 80 mins in so was relying on random checkpoints. Was just way too punishing. Look here, there's a ladder to climb but there's a bomb in the way! Better disable it and you only get one chance and the meter arrow moves pretty fast w/tv lag and if you miss well INSTANT FUCKING DEATH TOO BAD YOU JUST DID A LOT OF STUFF RIGHT BEFORE THIS, time to do it again!

Really frustrating game so far on survival. Even the boss fight took a few tries because I was nailing the boss with explosive bolts, using traps to fucking IMPALE THE BOSS and shotgunning it for an entire ammo clip while running backwards and it still didn't want to die until the very last shot. I couldn't even tell if I was doing what the game wanted me to or if I needed to find some context sensitive trigger to kill the boss. Meanwhile it can kill you so fast if you get cornered. Just feels like playing RE4/5 on the hardest difficulty mode right off the bat which is super frustrating even if the underlying game is fun.

Also the
gun
enemies were totally bullshit and added another couple of unexpected deaths out of nowhere losing all the last 5-10 minutes of progress. Feels like Dark Souls, die and learn what to expect, repeat repeat repeat.

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and be lame and change to casual for ch.4 on and see if it makes the game more enjoyable and less trial and error for me.

I feel like it's an action game that's trying too hard to be survival but the problem is 1) there's not a whole lot of room for stealth sneaking/hiding like a non-shooting action game in some of these areas like ch.3 because the game forces combat on you & 2) RE4 worked because the knife melee action fucking worked and was a useful stun/takedown technique; it feels like RE4 if you took out the knife, dropped the ammo down to 1/10th the amount and increased the damage taken by 3-4x. I'm fine with limited ammo but you gotta give me viable alternatives like a WORKING MELEE or good useful stealth all the time.

Lucent

Wow, I'm sorry that's how your experience is so far. I haven't really found it to be THAT difficult and I'm currently on chapter 10 of survival mode. I've got a ton of ammo and plenty of health items. So I don't think it doesn't give you enough.

I think you just gotta get used to how the game works more. The melee is more of a last resort or one-on-one type of thing. If we could do the stuff Leon does, I think the game would be too easy.

The stealth I think works fine. The enemies don't seem to have a long pattern of movement. Just watch them a couple of seconds, sneak up, stab them in the head. If there are too many enemies or at least one that'll see you do that to the other, well you might have to find another angle, throw a bottle, or something else. I feel like I'm really clever when I pull off the stuff I do and it feels more rewarding conquering these enemies than it does in other games.

Bl@de

I think I really hate this game :\ So bummed, I fucking love survival horror and love Mikami.

Just finished Chapter 3 which took me 2 hours and like 50 deaths because I'm the kind of person who likes to explore every nook and cranny of the village, kill every enemy, find every treasure. But since there's very limited ammo and your melee attack only gets you killed since it does no damage...was a looooot of trial and experiment to find out enemy locations/setups, where items/ammo were. Finding the save area helped A LOT but I didn't find that until about 80 mins in so was relying on random checkpoints. Was just way too punishing. Look here, there's a ladder to climb but there's a bomb in the way! Better disable it and you only get one chance and the meter arrow moves pretty fast w/tv lag and if you miss well INSTANT FUCKING DEATH TOO BAD YOU JUST DID A LOT OF STUFF RIGHT BEFORE THIS, time to do it again!

Really frustrating game so far on survival. Even the boss fight took a few tries because I was nailing the boss with explosive bolts, using traps to fucking IMPALE THE BOSS and shotgunning it for an entire ammo clip while running backwards and it still didn't want to die until the very last shot. I couldn't even tell if I was doing what the game wanted me to or if I needed to find some context sensitive trigger to kill the boss. Meanwhile it can kill you so fast if you get cornered. Just feels like playing RE4/5 on the hardest difficulty mode right off the bat which is super frustrating even if the underlying game is fun.

Also the
gun
enemies were totally bullshit and added another couple of unexpected deaths out of nowhere losing all the last 5-10 minutes of progress. Feels like Dark Souls, die and learn what to expect, repeat repeat repeat.

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and be lame and change to casual for ch.4 on and see if it makes the game more enjoyable and less trial and error for me.

I feel like it's an action game that's trying too hard to be survival but the problem is 1) there's not a whole lot of room for stealth sneaking/hiding like a non-shooting action game in some of these areas like ch.3 because the game forces combat on you & 2) RE4 worked because the knife melee action fucking worked and was a useful stun/takedown technique; it feels like RE4 if you took out the knife, dropped the ammo down to 1/10th the amount and increased the damage taken by 3-4x. I'm fine with limited ammo but you gotta give me viable alternatives like a WORKING MELEE or good useful stealth all the time.

You better change to casual and never play Resident Evil 1 (Remake). Hard to believe you like Survival Horror. Resident Evil 1 was much more punishing than this and is regarded Survival Horror. Resident Evil 4 is an easier action approach to the formula. Instakill Hunters and ink ribbons so save intervalls are up to 30-40mins of replaying in RE1. And yeah good luck with the knife there.

Specifically talking about CH3 and CH4, SAVE often. I used to save after every house I explore or if I felt I was going to die. There is a reason the save room is near you so use it to your advantage!

EDIT: Any chapter that is abit open with the save room near, use it to your advantage.

What's the point of burning bodies? I must have missed it
Depends. To save ammo (shoot them in the leg and light them up when they fall before they get up), prevent environmental enemies to get up at some later point, burn a body while others are standing nearby so you burn them as well etc.
You however don't have to burn bodies after stealth kills and after headshots. Those enemies won't get up.

WITHE1982

I've not had much time with this game but I've just finished chapter 3. Managed to
stealth-kill the chainsaw
dude which was epic.

Absolutely loving this game so much but my one gripe so far is the terrible FOW whilst aiming. With the agony bow drawn it's such a pain not being able to see the end of your aiming arc. I'm hoping a RE6 style patch will come soon as IMO it really needs it.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, I'm sorry that's how your experience is so far. I haven't really found it to be THAT difficult and I'm currently on chapter 10 of survival mode. I've got a ton of ammo and plenty of health items. So I don't think it doesn't give you enough.

I think you just gotta get used to how the game works more. The melee is more of a last resort or one-on-one type of thing. If we could do the stuff Leon does, I think the game would be too easy.

The stealth I think works fine. The enemies don't seem to have a long pattern of movement. Just watch them a couple of seconds, sneak up, stab them in the head. If there are too many enemies or at least one that'll see you do that to the other, well you might have to find another angle, throw a bottle, or something else. I feel like I'm really clever when I pull off the stuff I do and it feels more rewarding conquering these enemies than it does in other games.

I'd be more ok with the stealth if it played as smoothly as The Last of Us. I've had so much glitching in ch.3 where I'd sneak right behind a guy and not get the instant kill prompt or hit him in the head with a bottle and rush him and not get the prompt. Just haven't had much luck with stealth in ch.3.

I don't even know how to use melee in 1 on 1. It goes like this: I hit the enemy twice, they hit me once for 50% of my life, I hit them twice, they hit me again and kill me. Melee just seems absolutely useless. I was thinking I could use it to conserve gun ammo but shooting them once in the head and then run up and melee, but the melee hits just seem to do so little damage it's frustrating.

You better change to casual and never play Resident Evil 1 (Remake). Hard to believe you like Survival Horror. Resident Evil 1 was much more punishing than this and is regarded Survival Horror. Resident Evil 4 is an easier action approach to the formula. Instakill Hunters and ink ribbons so save intervalls are up to 30-40mins of replaying in RE1. And yeah good luck with the knife there.
What? lol, no, just no. RE1 had a clear context which this game clearly lacks. And despite having tank controls RE1 was easier to controls the TEW, which speaks a lot about the latter.

Lucent

I'd be more ok with the stealth if it played as smoothly as The Last of Us. I've had so much glitching in ch.3 where I'd sneak right behind a guy and not get the instant kill prompt or hit him in the head with a bottle and rush him and not get the prompt. Just haven't had much luck with stealth in ch.3.

I don't even know how to use melee in 1 on 1. It goes like this: I hit the enemy twice, they hit me once for 50% of my life, I hit them twice, they hit me again and kill me. Melee just seems absolutely useless. I was thinking I could use it to conserve gun ammo but shooting them once in the head and then run up and melee, but the melee hits just seem to do so little damage it's frustrating.

Well generally I punch them and I dash away, let them swing, and then do it again. One time I pummeled an old lady enemy in a corner and she only hit me once. But I had to burn her. Like the game says, melee is more of a defensive/last resort move in this game. Unless you find an axe or torch.

Depends. To save ammo (shoot them in the leg and light them up when they fall before they get up), prevent environmental enemies to get up at some later point, burn a body while others are standing nearby so you burn them as well etc.
You however don't have to burn bodies after stealth kills and after headshots. Those enemies won't get up.

Ok cool. Ended up wasting a few in Chapter 2 as I was stealth killing everything anyway

Bebpo

Banned

Eh, can't remember anything really frustrating in Remake (or the other RE games outside a bad checkpoint or boss fight). I love survival horror (SH/FF//Penumbra/Amnesia/Clock Towers/etc)...but then again I always play games on "normal" difficulty and I assumed "survival" here was the equivalent of normal, seems extremely difficult for "normal" to me.

For me the game's just not clicking for whatever reason and so Chapter 3 was probably the most difficult survival horror game experience I've ever had (I can't think of any other single section in a horror game where I've had as many deaths as tonight on Ch.3; didn't help that over a dozen of them were instant deaths losing all progress).

I dunno, Vanquish/God Hand clicked with me and normal Mikami action games tend to do so, but this is not clicking and instead is just coming off as super punishing and anti-fun. Maybe casual will help me get the hang of it better and then I can do another run on survival after getting good at it.

Yeah... i just used every sniper bullet and every explosive arrow on it. There are also bullets scattered throughout the area

Also i found that you can
hide under the cars? lol i never used that as i constantly run away from it

Yes, you can because it could loose you easily if you were quick on your toes. That
and his second form when everything is purpale has a very predictable pattern of coming to you then pausing for a second or two to bite you so he can be easily avoided as long as you don't use your stamina completely and just shoot, collect ammo while avoiding it.

I think this game is pretty amazing. I just beat chapters 6 and 7 tonight....what a long but fun journey! Though, I do have a low tolerance for frustration, the only part of those two chapters I hated was the beginning of ch 6
with the burning house and the enemies pouring in.
Can anyone tell me there's not too many of these types of moments coming, I hope?

Lucent

This chapter 10 fight with
Laura
is fun but frustrating.

EDIT: So weird thing...the time I actually got through it,
Laura wasn't there chasing me at all in that last part
. lol

Dresden

For me the game's just not clicking for whatever reason and so Chapter 3 was probably the most difficult survival horror game experience I've ever had (I can't think of any other single section in a horror game where I've had as many deaths as tonight on Ch.3; didn't help that over a dozen of them were instant deaths losing all progress).

I thought chapter 3 was great - don't remember too many instakills, other than the rather obvious one involving a chainsaw. Sneaking gets you around bombs and all the patrols are slow moving zombies that go down in one shot + a match, if you can't get a stealth kill.

Bebpo

Banned
I thought chapter 3 was great - don't remember too many instakills, other than the rather obvious one involving a chainsaw. Sneaking gets you around bombs and all the patrols are slow moving zombies that go down in one shot + a match, if you can't get a stealth kill.

Wait, how do you 1 shot -> match? It usually takes me 3 headshots to knock a zombie down so that I can burn them unless it criticals and blows up their head. Why don't bombs react to zombies? Triplines do, it's frustrating to have to fight enemies surrounded by bomb traps that start to go off the second you aim if you miss the stealth kill. And is there no way to disarm booby-trapped chests?

Top Bottom