• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dresden

Wait, how do you 1 shot -> match? It usually takes me 3 headshots to knock a zombie down so that I can burn them unless it criticals and blows up their head.

Why don't bombs react to zombies? Triplines do, it's frustrating to have to fight enemies surrounded by bomb traps that start to go off the second you aim if you miss the stealth kill.

Just shoot them in the leg to knock them down. Once on the ground, you can light them on fire.

And is there no way to disarm booby-trapped chests?

Gotta open them up just enough to trigger the bomb's countdown before shutting it close.

Wait, how do you 1 shot -> match? It usually takes me 3 headshots to knock a zombie down so that I can burn them unless it criticals and blows up their head. Why don't bombs react to zombies? Triplines do, it's frustrating to have to fight enemies surrounded by bomb traps that start to go off the second you aim if you miss the stealth kill. And is there no way to disarm booby-trapped chests?

Dem legs, yo. Shoot dem legs.

Bebpo

Banned
Just shoot them in the leg to knock them down. Once on the ground, you can light them on fire.

Ah, ok that will be helpful. I've been shooting only at the head as I didn't think there was context sensitive areas to shoot the enemies at besides body & headshot critical. Been pumping 3 bullets per zombie which when I've only got about 6 usually on hand is a bit tough.

The game is tough. Can't believe how I'm barely beating these bosses and sections.

I'm worried that I won't have enough when I get to the last boss. This always happens with games like these. The final bosses are always overpowered.

Hope this game is more fair at the end. If not I don't care, I'll tone down the difficulty... or go through the console command!

I wouldn't hold your breath for that, the game on consoles already can't manage 30fps, without black bars you'll be sub-20's.

Build a PC, fellas. It's worth it.

I would trade a downgrade to 480p if they adjusted the fov or pulled the camera back a bit so i can see what i am doing,the black bars are a pain but i'd rather they just pulled the camera back. How in the world does such a bad game like resident evil 6 deserve a fix but this game get's ignored by the developer.
I feel so sorry for the talented artists at tango, most of their amazing work has gone to waste because someone couldn't do their job properly.

I like when I get lucky in a crowd and light multiple zombles with this move.

70496-Seinfeld-cigar-nod-smile-gif-i-DfwI.gif

Indeed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait, how do you 1 shot -> match? It usually takes me 3 headshots to knock a zombie down so that I can burn them unless it criticals and blows up their head. Why don't bombs react to zombies? Triplines do, it's frustrating to have to fight enemies surrounded by bomb traps that start to go off the second you aim if you miss the stealth kill. And is there no way to disarm booby-trapped chests?

Bombs not reacting is still weird to me, though you can actually use them against enemies. Shooting it with a bullet will blow it up if you can manage to position everyone correctly, and like mentioned it can be better to go for the legs and light a match. That said headshots are still viable, it's good to know that if you kill one of them you can try to lure somebody over to you/the corpse and light it on fire and the haunted running at you to kill them instantly.

I would also say...well, the opener is really odd. It's like the first 2 chapters are a long tutorial on stealth and how to maneuver around, then 3 introduces a trap filled environment and basically tests you on it. Then...well, it's not really used? The game feels totally different after that for the most part, even if luring into traps and things of that nature are still viable, I don't think it is even possible to stealth kill in 4 through 6 at all, and I haven't been nearly as resource hungry. It builds up as if the entire game will play out with stealth being vital but it really doesn't function that way. It's also from what I've seen the most punishing section regarding checkpoints since you had an issue with that.

Lucent

Speaking of NG+, can I increase the difficulty or am I stuck on that of my previous playthrough?

Nope. You can only do NG+ on the difficulty you played on or lower. No bringing it a buffed up Sebastian into Nightmare or Akumu after playing Survival or Casual. lol

Having a hard time getting into this game. The poor performance and super zoomed camera really putting it off for me. The aiming is almost first person view and the wonky camera is making me nauseous. And i play fast paced games like mvc 3 all the time. Oh well might give this another spin tomorrow.

JimPanzer

Nope. You can only do NG+ on the difficulty you played on or lower. No bringing it a buffed up Sebastian into Nightmare or Akumu after playing Survival or Casual. lol

Yea, guessed so :) Well, I'll probably try Nightmare after my Survival playthrough (finished chapter 6, doing pretty good so far), love reading those Akumu impressions, but I'm not too sure if I want to experience it myself , lol

repeater

I must be the most daft person around, but it only just struck me that the evil within is an evil that resides within oneself, and thus, one might say, a.. resident evil.

mind-blown-2.gif

What's a good way to defeat the
long haired, crawling bitch in the furnace room? i tried trapping her in the fire chambers but she either doesn't die or escapes just in time. i tried lighting her on fire first to buy some time, then switching the lever. btw, her crawling animation is pretty creepy.

also, does anyone else have no idea what's going on in the game? i think i'm near the end of chapter 5. what bothers me most is that the main character doesn't even give a fuck.

Im midway through Ch 3 now and its definitely gotten better now that i can actually defend myself better, but that still doesnt change some of the most glaring issues.
Probably the worst of those are the controls. Tank controls in classic resi feels more responsive than this. It doesnt help that the poor controls combined with the narrow FOV mean youre constantly fighting a losing battle between unresponsnive, stiff controls and the fact that you can hardly see anything on screen.
The insta-deaths feel so incredibly cheap too, and the shitty checkpointing means ive played a few scenes a bunch of times over. Theres zero story to speak of so far too and any and all dialogue ive come across has been pretty embarrassing. All that i could forgive tho if it wasnt for the clunky controls and gameplay that feels like its straight out of 2003.
The only thing i can say ive consistently enjoyed are the lighting and visuals. I removed the borders and increased the FOV and it makes it alot more enjoyable, but honestly its still a game thats very heavily flawed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
long haired, crawling bitch in the furnace room? i tried trapping her in the fire chambers but she either doesn't die or escapes just in time. i tried lighting her on fire first to buy some time, then switching the lever. btw, her crawling animation is pretty creepy.

also, does anyone else have no idea what's going on in the game? i think i'm near the end of chapter 5. what bothers me most is that the main character doesn't even give a fuck.

I have a really cheap strategy I've formed, it kind of takes the fun out of Laura, so be warned.

Camp next to a body, she'll almost always spawn at the body closest to you at the time she selects a body and starts erupting blood from it. Get next to the body, crouching (as you can maneuver a bit more precisely and easily turn around without running right into her), and wait for her to come out of the body. She will always come out in the direction of you, so when she's doing the animation of coming out of the body, walk your way to the other side of the body and face it so you can burn it. When Laura is turning around towards you on-top or super close to the body, throw a match and it will burn her. She'll never attack when she's erupting from the body or when she's turning around. Rinse and repeat.

Steez

Replay the intro and early section of RE and RE2. They don't really "freak out" but they definitely behave a lot more to what an actual human would. Not "Yeah...I'm just Dick Tracy and I've seen it all before, no big deal".

I'm not disagreeing with Sebastian being a pretty bland character but dude, what?

Have you ever seen the intro to RE2? You know, the one where Leon is gunning down 4, or 5 zambies while complimenting himself on his shooting with some smarmy one-liners. And all that on his first day on the job. Come the fuck on, mayne, lol.

Lucent

Okay that
gray monster with like 5 bodies attached to it
in Chapter 10
is a pain in the ass. When he goes into purple mode he leaps on me and insta eats me. It's getting pretty annoying. My speed is one under maxed. 8s sprint I think.

Akibared

At the start of the encounter equip frost arrows and hide against the pillar until a giant eye pops out of his back. Once the eye is out freeze him and then pull out the sniper rifle and hit the eye. Move behind a car and wait for him to walk down the garage and for the eye to pop out again. Two shots to the eye will trigger his "berserk" mode, freeze him and shoot out the heads or shoot the eye in his mouth to kill him.

Was stuck on the chapter 10 boss and I remembered seeing this a few days back it really helped.

Having a hard time getting into this game. The poor performance and super zoomed camera really putting it off for me. The aiming is almost first person view and the wonky camera is making me nauseous. And i play fast paced games like mvc 3 all the time. Oh well might give this another spin tomorrow.

Are you playing on a pc? if so someone has made a fix for the fov which really improves the game and makes the camera much better, causing far less headaches.

I removed the borders and increased the FOV and it makes it alot more enjoyable, but honestly its still a game thats very heavily flawed.
Count yourself lucky, imagine paying full price for this game and not being able to increase the fov.

Just beat the game on casual; loved it.

Ran fine with my GTX 680, didn't mind the letterboxing at all and had plenty of scares.

And there were just so many homages to Resident Evil/Biohazard.

8.5 due to mediocre storyline/plot.

I'm at the mid point of Chapter 2 and never knew that we could break the
goddess statue
for keys. It was only revealed through a loading tip and I remember passing by one. What do they do exactly?

Lucent

Was stuck on the chapter 10 boss and I remembered seeing this a few days back it really helped.

I finally did it. Geez...

I didn't follow that thing exactly because I didn't wanna make too many
freeze bolts. I used all 5 of my grenades though and a few shotgun shells besides some pistol shots to the eye.
I think I did pretty good conserving my
revolver, shotgun, and sniper
. But man I'd hate to face him in Akumu.

I'm at the mid point of Chapter 2 and never knew that we could break the
goddess statue
for keys. It was only revealed through a loading tip and I remember passing by one. What do they do exactly?

Use the keys on lockers in the save world. The nurse will show you the way. It's behind her desk.

you need to make sure you burn the bodies that are scattered around or she uses them to reanimate

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Major story spoilers

how does Ruvik have teleportation powers outside of his reality at the start of the game?

Lucent

Got to chapter 11. 2/3 of the way through and I've got about 14 hours on the clock. lol I'm going pretty slow but I'm being very conservative.But I'll continue tomorrow.

I couldn't help but laugh and facepalm at the beginning in chapter 1 when I tried to
stealth kill the huge chainsaw guy only to get my head lopped off
. It seemed like such a troll move by Mikami lol.

Major story spoilers

how does Ruvik have teleportation powers outside of his reality at the start of the game?

Have you finished the game? because if you did you would answer that question on your own.

At the start of the encounter equip frost arrows and hide against the pillar until a giant eye pops out of his back. Once the eye is out freeze him and then pull out the sniper rifle and hit the eye. Move behind a car and wait for him to walk down the garage and for the eye to pop out again. Two shots to the eye will trigger his "berserk" mode, freeze him and shoot out the heads or shoot the eye in his mouth to kill him.

Hey...that's actually a good advice and probably the easiest strategy to kill it. Should be useful in akumu. Thanks!

Ataraxia

I'm not disagreeing with Sebastian being a pretty bland character but dude, what?

Have you ever seen the intro to RE2? You know, the one where Leon is gunning down 4, or 5 zambies while complimenting himself on his shooting with some smarmy one-liners. And all that on his first day on the job. Come the fuck on, mayne, lol.

Resident Evil has always been campy but ever since "The Last of Us" I kind of expect current-gen games to have solid dialogue and voice-acting, especially the survival horror genre where mood and atmosphere are important.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Have you finished the game? because if you did you would answer that question on your own.

Hey...that's actually a good advice and probably the easiest strategy to kill it. Should be useful in akumu. Thanks!
I guess I missed something obvious? Can someone link me to an explanation? :)

Steez

Resident Evil has always been campy but ever since "The Last of Us" I kind of expect current-gen games to have solid dialogue and voice-acting, especially the survival horror genre where mood and atmosphere are important.

Again, I'm not disagreeing that Seb is a pretty lame character. I just thought that it was incredibly silly that Sanctuary named old RE as an example for more believable characters.

Sanctuary

No actually, I haven't seen the intro you're talking about. Because it doesn't exist. Seems like you're confusing parts of RE4 and RE6 with RE2. Seriously, they act so much more realistic compared to the characters in TEW (who are on prozac and have blinders on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...s&list=PLCzdZGBJCgdumC8_tYKuE_3lMI-ZkmygE#t=0

I mean, I guess mentioning how his bullet didn't phase the zombie could be considered a "smarmy one-liner" but it's not really.

It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Hmm, so even though he doesn't fully control Leslie until the end, he can somehow still use him as a condiuit to affect the physical world? Unless Sebastian was hooked up to the matrix before the intro of the game even started and Ruvik drugged him and had whoever hook him up, they don't really explain how he's doing that.

Again, I'm not disagreeing that Seb is a pretty lame character. I just thought that it was incredibly silly that Sanctuary named old RE as an example for more believable characters.

Like I said, watch the RE2 intro. Your memory is off here.

Finished it last night - Great game! I loved most of the environments, RE4 mixed with some SH visual flare, they kept surprising me with the scenery. Hopefully it'll do well enough to warrant a current-gen and PC only sequel! Didn't like the checkpoints though, they were shitty!

Edit: I never once got scared though, P.T. ruined me...

Steez

No actually, I haven't seen the intro you're talking about. Because it doesn't exist. Seems like you're confusing parts of RE4 and RE6 with RE2. Seriously, they act so much more realistic compared to the characters in TEW (who are on prozac and have blinders on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...s&list=PLCzdZGBJCgdumC8_tYKuE_3lMI-ZkmygE#t=0

I mean, I guess mentioning how his bullet didn't phase the zombie could be considered a "smarmy one-liner" but it's not really.

Uh-huh, sure. A 21-year old police officer on his first day on the job being slightly baffled why an undead creature is still walking towards him, after a clean hit is totally so much more realistic.

Both games are pretty bad in that regard. RE is just more hilarious and enjoyable because of its corniness.

Danielsan

Just finished chapter 7 (and 8). Man this game is quickly becoming a possible GOTY contender for me. The game has been getting better and better (though I didn't like chapter 6 quite as much as some) with chapter 7 being the major highlight of the game so far. Can't wait to jump into chapter 9 later today as the setting already is promising to be great.

By the way. I'm playing on the PC with the FOV set to 85 but with borders. I really hope they patch in the FOV option for console players as it makes a world of difference.

Just finished chapter 7 (and 8). Man this game is quickly becoming a possible GOTY contender for me. The game has been getting better and better (though I didn't like chapter 6 quite as much as some) with chapter 7 being the major highlight of the game so far. Can't wait to jump into chapter 9 later today as the setting already is promising to be great.

By the way. I'm playing on the PC with the FOV set to 85 but with borders. I really hope they patch in the FOV option for console players as it makes a world of difference.

I'm with you here. Too much forced combat for my taste.

AGoodODST

Just got to chapter 7 and absolutely loving this.

Quick question, at one point I noticed a safe on the ground covered in barbed wire, it wiggled when I walked past it. Is there a way to open this or is it just for show?

Quick question, at one point I noticed a safe on the ground covered in barbed wire, it wiggled when I walked past it. Is there a way to open this or is it just for show?

I just past chapter 7 last night. That last part with the gas was tense as hell. Love this game.

I think the safe is just for show.

Danielsan

It's for show. You'll later find out more. ;)

Does anyone else find this game quite disorientating? I'm having so much trouble making sense of my surroundings, especially chapters 2 and 3. A re4 style map would be pretty handy because i am in a near permanent state of confusion as to my whereabouts in the level.

I guess I missed something obvious? Can someone link me to an explanation? :)

There's also a spoiler thread
here that we can discuss. Let's leave this thread for the gameplay,tips etc.

It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Hmm, so even though he doesn't fully control Leslie until the end, he can somehow still use him as a condiuit to affect the physical world? Unless Sebastian was hooked up to the matrix before the intro of the game even started and Ruvik drugged him and had whoever hook him up, they don't really explain how he's doing that.

If you followed the missing person posters in the
hospital hub
,near the beginning of 13th or 14th chapter there are
photos of Joseph and Julie gone missing at time periods and places irrelevant of the introduction scene (i think also sebastian if i remember) suggesting that they went missing long ago. Therefore the intro was another memory hallucination of Sebastian,Jonathan,Leslie,the driver and Julie probably co-created with Ruvik's memories.What i don't understand is who killed the entire working stuff of the hospital; was it the organization?. Side effects from the Stem usage(violent behaviour,suicide thoughts)?I think the DLC will shed some light into that
Edit: also the newspapers about deaths,arsons,death of Sebastian's child,serial killers, etc are probably all connected to the organization and the Stem and its side effects

Haha no! you'll see soon...

AGoodODST

I just past chapter 7 last night. That last part with the gas was tense as hell. Love this game.

I think the safe is just for show.

Welp, that's at least 30 minutes of wasting time and ammo trying to find a way to open it gone. :p

Yeah, I think chapter 7 is one of my favourites so far. The more enviromental focus is a nice break from the somewhat combat heavy previous chapter.

Haha no! you'll see soon...

It's for show. You'll later find out more. ;)

Ah okay! Cheers :)

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
I've just sat here for 4 hours.
Dabbled with KI for a little bit.

Need to get back into this tomorrow.

Here is a clip from my play through,
when you first deal with a Sadist..and this was Survivor difficulty:
Steal the keys in front of him.

How?

Its funny you posted that because I actually did the same exact thing.

I was trying to go behind him and stealth kill and all of the sudden I'm reaching for the keys thinking great now Im going to die, and instead I just grab them right in front of his face and comically back up without him knowing.

That first chapter was pretty crappy but man oh man does this game pick up once you start pushing through further.

Top Bottom