• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

By the way. I'm playing on the PC with the FOV set to 85 but with borders. I really hope they patch in the FOV option for console players as it makes a world of difference.
Any chance for some pics? this games art is stunning so it would be good to see it properly, yet again i'm super jealous of pc owners, last generation it was the ability to play mario galaxy and donkey kong in hd through dolphin and now it's happening all over gain.
Please patch this for console owners, i'll except 480p if that what it will take to have increased fov.

Lernaean

Banned
What's a good way to defeat the
long haired, crawling bitch in the furnace room? i tried trapping her in the fire chambers but she either doesn't die or escapes just in time. i tried lighting her on fire first to buy some time, then switching the lever. btw, her crawling animation is pretty creepy.

Burn all the bodies in the level except the middle one, then go to the middle and last body, she spawns, stun her, burn the last body, lead her to a furnace room, pull level and watch her die.

Shadownet

Banned
Don't get the complaints about the game's intro. It's only bad in the sense that every intro where you hold forward and hit X for 10 minutes sucks. Chapter 2 was fine for a stealth tutorial, it wasn't particularly inspired or anything but it was laid out well enough for you to explore and pick things off in your own manner. Thematically, I thought the game started off just fine. I've played enough Japanese games to know this isn't going to get explained even remotely satisfactorily, but eh, it was creative and mercifully didn't waste any time. It could have been 20 minutes of QTEs and R-rated squealing like Tomb Raider 2013.

This, I feel like people who are complaining that the first two chapters are like the worst thing ever are just blowing things out of proportions.

addyb

Just got a bit into chapter 3 now and it's starting to kick off a bit. At this early stage I'm loving it. I think the safe houses are very well done and thus far have no issues with visuals, performance or controls.

Danielsan

Any chance for some pics? this games art is stunning so it would be good to see it properly, yet again i'm super jealous of pc owners, last generation it was the ability to play mario galaxy and donkey kong in hd through dolphin and now it's happening all over gain.
Please patch this for console owners, i'll except 480p if that what it will take to have increased fov.
Sure thing:

Possible environement spoilers for chapter 8 & 9

http://i.imgur.com/svxU3hy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/elEv24N.jpg

Also the increased FOV really should hit the performance (much), dropping or decreasing the size of the bars would.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just replayed chapters one through three on new game plus. There's something about the tone of chapters two, three and four that's so damn effective. Very impressive.

Lernaean

Banned
A non-lore question for those that finished the game please. I'll spoiler tag it because some might not want to know.
Does new game + carry your upgrades and gear? And can you select a higher difficulty on ng+?

Jobbs

Banned
Going through chapter six - it's wonderful whenever the game opens up and lets you play around in a big, intricate level - but I'm beginning to hate Joseph.

why? in this level he saves you SO MUCH AMMO.. just kite enemies to him and let him axe them. He's an axe machine.

I have to laugh at Sebastian's stamina. Out of breath after running for 5 seconds?

This is one of the more comical aspects of the game. There have probably already been 10 instances of me running for under 5 seconds, getting winded, adn stopping to rest while a mutant with an axe or a demon woman or whatever else is chasing and dying as a result. "I'd rather die than run for more than 4 seconds."

even people in really poor shape could run for a lot longer than 5 seconds, especially if their life depended on it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A non-lore question for those that finished the game please. I'll spoiler tag it because some might not want to know.
Does new game + carry your upgrades and gear? And can you select a higher difficulty on ng+?

Yes to the first, no to the second.

Danielsan

looks incredible, thankyou!
fingers crossed for a fov patch on consoles so others can appreciate this games visuals a little more.
Ooh and for reference. This is the game with the complete fix pack applied and I believe FOV 90.

Chapter 6 - environment spoiler
http://i.imgur.com/a0ebh4K.jpg[/IMG]

Sadly my somewhat older GPU (7850HD) has some issues keeping a steady 30 in some sections of the game when there are a lot of effects on the screen.

So, The Evil Within comes out the week when I have barely any time after work to play... :|

I did get up through Chapter 6 last night, which could have been ripped straight out of RE4. It was alright, but clearly the weakest chapter so far (and was more glaring, coming off of Ch. 5 which I found to be the strongest thus far). I appreciate the variety and massive tonal shifts that this game makes, but I wish they'd completely leave out something like Ch. 6 for what's supposed to be a survival horror game. I'm was already over these sorts of combat encounters by the time RE5 came around, they're incredibly tiresome by this point.

I am hoping that I'll be able to play more than 1 chapter tonight!!

Ooh and for reference. This is the game with the complete fix pack applied and I believe FOV 90.

Sadly my somewhat older GPU (7850HD) has some issues keeping a steady 30 in some sections of the game when there are a lot of effects on the screen.

stop! stop! your killing me, it looks amazing. sad i'll never get to play the game with a decent fov. Does anyone that played the patched resident evil 6 know if the increased fov slowed the game down?, i only played the mess before the patch and would like to know if doing the same to this game would effect it's performance.

Azlan

I finally got to dig into the first few chapters of the game yesterday. The first two chapters I was enjoying well enough, but it was certainly a slow start - and just a bit frustrating as your options are pretty limited. Then in chapter 3 I started really enjoying the game as it opened up a bit.
Slowly hunting through the village taking out each haunted guy individually, going back to upgrade, and finding all of the items was a lot of fun and very satisfying.

Very much looking forward to going back and playing more. It may not be a terrifyingly scary game, but it is still a great game to play around Halloween. It has a creepy atmosphere to it. I often find (for me) that if a game goes too far in trying (and succeeding) to be scary it becomes a bit intimidating to play and less straight-up fun.

Edit for a quick question: I am full up on ammo for my shotgun and agony crossbow. Should I be using this stuff on the normal enemies, or conserve them? It feels like a bit of a waste unless maybe I was facing many haunted at once, or is there enough ammo thrown at me that I shouldn't worry.

Lernaean

Banned

Where can i get the fix pack, and is it Steam-legal?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The fix is really useful but the light on his belt actually makes it difficult to expand the view as much as I'd like. If you go beyond a certain point the lantern creates an intense glare right in your face.

Danielsan

The fix is really useful but the light on his belt actually makes it difficult to expand the view as much as I'd like. If you go beyond a certain point the lantern creates an intense glare right in your face.
Pretty much the reason that I stick with FOV 85. Which is still a tremendous improvement.

addyb

Gawd I've died quite a few times on Chapter 3 already.
mainly from mistiming the bomb defuse and not paying attention to bear traps
I do have it saved a little bit in so don't have to do too much again. Maybe I should do smaller chunks then go back and save.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't get the complaints about the game's intro. It's only bad in the sense that every intro where you hold forward and hit X for 10 minutes sucks. Chapter 2 was fine for a stealth tutorial, it wasn't particularly inspired or anything but it was laid out well enough for you to explore and pick things off in your own manner. Thematically, I thought the game started off just fine. I've played enough Japanese games to know this isn't going to get explained even remotely satisfactorily, but eh, it was creative and mercifully didn't waste any time. It could have been 20 minutes of QTEs and R-rated squealing like Tomb Raider 2013.
On replay I enjoyed the intro a bit more but it does make a bad first impression.

That stealth area in the village of chapter 2 is when the frame-rate first starts to become a problem. So when you combine unfamiliar controls/mechanics (since you haven't had time to test the systems yet) with a super narrow FOV and a low frame-rate it just becomes annoying.

AkuMifune

Banned
Moving slower than others, into Chapter 10 now. To say this grew on me would be an understatement. Every Chapter reaffirmed my love for this game +1. Maybe I got over what is wasn't and just enjoyed Mikami's insane RE4make ride, but also getting used to the combat, getting upgrades and learning to follow the little rules laid out in each chapter helped my enjoyment immensely. Can't wait to wrap it up this weekend and start it all over again.

It's one of those games where people can list all of the problems and I'll nod along in agreement but still go: fuck it, I love it. Hoping the rest stays as strong as the last few chapters.

Also the no black bars/ FOV mod helped a ton. A ton. Sorry for those who can't play it that way. It makes me angry that it's such a technical mess as that's the only thing people will remember. ;(

We already need an HD remake of this game.

I feel like it's an action game that's trying too hard to be survival but the problem is 1) there's not a whole lot of room for stealth sneaking/hiding like a non-shooting action game in some of these areas like ch.3 because the game forces combat on you & 2) RE4 worked because the knife melee action fucking worked and was a useful stun/takedown technique; it feels like RE4 if you took out the knife, dropped the ammo down to 1/10th the amount and increased the damage taken by 3-4x. I'm fine with limited ammo but you gotta give me viable alternatives like a WORKING MELEE or good useful stealth all the time.

I think the matches are a direct counter to how OP melee became in RE4 once you got the hang of it. It basically uses the same concept, but adds a resource element to it. Conserve your ammo by hitting them in the leg once then burning a match on them for the instant kill. I really like the system because you can use them smartly to burn groups of 2 or 3, and also use them on environmental objects as a gamble for some green gel or ammo.

Making the melee so weak is a design issue I completely agree with, as this is a depowering game and if I was able to ever be comfortable with absolutely no ammo it would have failed at creating a tense experience. Swinging at a dude should be the last resort, and with the way they make it so after a certain amount of hits the enemies will get through at you it seems they really took into account that people would be trying that.

Dresden

why? in this level he saves you SO MUCH AMMO.. just kite enemies to him and let him axe them. He's an axe machine.

Because he's so easily exploited to do the player's dirty work, and kinda ruins the tension of the chapter.

Also like the entire chapter is basically Seb being forced to deal with all the dumb shit Joseph does.

Clearing houses in Chapters 3 and 4 has got to be some of the best gaming I've done in years. Just a very satisfying sense of progression and learning the way the game works.

It was hilarious to see the end of Chapter 3, because you realize, in hindsight, how small the level actually is, but when the village is so densely packed with enemies at the beginning, a foot is a mile, ya know?

Hey, at least they managed to optimize the game's real estate :p

I think this just must be my type of game, because I'm having trouble complaining about the little things that are bugging me too much. It's holding my interest more than holding my hand which is about all I can ask for from most games nowadays. The middling stealth and frequently completely oblivious enemies so far on Survival could be bothering me, but I like all the options available.

Generally I'm just the type who derives the most pleasure from systems, controls, and level design in games, so 2 out of 3 so far ain't bad.

Don't worry, fully upgraded aim allows you to only miss 1.5 times instead. Seriously, the reticle is pointless for the pistol. The only dot that seems to matter at all is the center, otherwise scream with glee as your bullets phase right through enemy hitboxes.

Well, that's gonna piss me off by the end of the game. The only dot I'm using to aim is the center one, and when I see my bullet hit the house behind an enemy's head all the same I start bitching out loud like a 10 year old

Tek

Anyone think they would do an update for the console owners to remove the black bars or would rendering that lost 40% result in the game running worse?

I would love the option, its my only annoyance really with the game

Andrew.

Banned
I love the widescreen format, but then again I'm playing on a large TV.

The Order will be doing the same thing so be ready for it.

Danielsan

Anyone think they would do an update for the console owners to remove the black bars or would rendering that lost 40% result in the game running worse?

I would love the option, its my only annoyance really with the game
It would significantly impact performance. The best you can hope for on consoles is a FOV update/option.

Tek

I love the widescreen format, but then again I'm playing on a large TV.

The Order will be doing the same thing so be ready for it.

I'm playing this on a 32 inch in my bedroom although I do have a 40 inch in the living room that I could move to. Would it make that much of a difference?

kodecraft

I've just sat here for 4 hours.
Dabbled with KI for a little bit.

Need to get back into this tomorrow.

Here is a clip from my play through,
when you first deal with a Sadist..and this was Survivor difficulty:
Steal the keys in front of him.

How?

Because that part is scripted, it's like the game doesn't tell him to "see" you until he come back out from the back room. So yea...the devs probably didn't account for someone going up and taking the keys with him there.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm playing this on a 32 inch in my bedroom although I do have a 40 inch in the living room that I could move to. Would it make that much of a difference?

I doubt 8 inches would make much of one but it's worth a shot.

A 32 for this ratio though? Yikes. That must be painful.

kodecraft

Wait, how do you 1 shot -> match? It usually takes me 3 headshots to knock a zombie down so that I can burn them unless it criticals and blows up their head.

This tells me alot of people are going for nothing but head shots, is that the only way some of ya"ll play these type of games?

"Shit, I dropped my glasses." "It's not just about being able to see, it's about feeling normal."

What kind of Scooby Doo ass writing is this lol

DSmalls84

Finished Chapter 6.

Had about 2 bullets left and thought the chapter was over. Joseph: "Bruh my glasses."

Really enjoying this so far. The atmosphere and combat are fantastic. Tech issues and black bars have yet to bother me. Are most of the chapters going to be as long as 5/6?

th4tguy

Everytime this thread pops up, I click hoping to see people celebrating another performance tuning patch that helps smooth out the kinks of the game on console.

Danielsan

"Shit, I dropped my glasses." "It's not just about being able to see, it's about feeling normal."

What kind of Scooby Doo ass writing is this lol
In find the game's story endearing so far. I expected a lot worse. I'm actually surprised by how straight they are trying to tell the story. I expected a RE4-like cheese fest.

Finished Chapter 6.

Had about 2 bullets left and thought the chapter was over. Joseph: "Bruh my glasses."

Really enjoying this so far. The atmosphere and combat are fantastic. Tech issues and black bars have yet to bother me. Are most of the chapters going to be as long as 5/6?
Prepare for the best chapter you've yet which is chapter 7. I'm also hearing great things about chapter 9. Which I will dive into later today.

Top Bottom