• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

th4tguy

Question, If I quit out of a game mid chapter, will I resume at the checkpoint or have to start over from the last save?

Drewfonse

Just beat chapter 3. It's Ok so far. I have no idea what is going on, or why I should care, but that will likely change.

What will not likely change is that I find the graphics to be borderline terrible on the PS4. Between the enormous black bars and the murky looking levels, this does not even feel like I should be playing it on the PS4.

kodecraft

I'm not disagreeing with Sebastian being a pretty bland character but dude, what?

Have you ever seen the intro to RE2? You know, the one where Leon is gunning down 4, or 5 zambies while complimenting himself on his shooting with some smarmy one-liners. And all that on his first day on the job. Come the fuck on, mayne, lol.

Yea, I agree. I've been having visions lately wishing that the protagonist in TEW was somebody else....I want the protagonist from Telltale's Walking Dead season one as the protagonist in TEW.

I just want to here his superb voice acting, delivery, and possibly bad-ass dialog concerning the events that happen in TEW.

Mupod

is it just me or is upgrading crit on the rifle pointless? It always pops heads at 0% crit. I had a bunch of upgrade goo saved up for it and just dumped it all into harpoons/flash bolts instead.

antitrop

Just beat chapter 3. It's Ok so far. I have no idea what is going on, or why I should care, but that will likely change.

What will not likely change is that I find the graphics to be borderline terrible on the PS4. Between the enormous black bars and the murky looking levels, this does not even feel like I should be playing it on the PS4.
I think it's the best looking game I've played this year.

Andrew.

Banned

Yup. Feels PS2 era. Love it.

And lol at borderline terrible. Game has some amazing art design, lighting and shadows.

is it just me or is upgrading crit on the rifle pointless? It always pops heads at 0% crit. I had a bunch of upgrade goo saved up for it and just dumped it all into harpoons/flash bolts instead.

Now that you say it... yeah, it seems redundant.
It's a trap upgrade! Mikami wants to fool you!

Ricker

why? in this level he saves you SO MUCH AMMO.. just kite enemies to him and let him axe them. He's an axe machine.

This is one of the more comical aspects of the game. There have probably already been 10 instances of me running for under 5 seconds, getting winded, adn stopping to rest while a mutant with an axe or a demon woman or whatever else is chasing and dying as a result. "I'd rather die than run for more than 4 seconds."

even people in really poor shape could run for a lot longer than 5 seconds, especially if their life depended on it.

You know you can mash X (or equivalent on others)when he does that stupid recovery animation right ?....speeds it up a bit ,saw it on a loading screen tip lol...I loved chapter 7,nice change of pace with small puzzles...Boss took me a few tries because of the finecky lining up so the icon appears thing with the controls and I was really short on ammo but got it after a few tries...

Just finished with 14 hours on the clock and 56 deaths. Great overall experience with some niggling things that held it back. My biggest problems were slow start and mostly weak story.

Now that you say it... yeah, it seems redundant.
It's a trap upgrade! Mikami wants to fool you!

I'm actually impressed with how well balanced the upgrades seem to be. Aside from melee being pretty much useless.

SDCowboy

OK this is embarrassing, but I'm stuck in the save hub at the start of chapter 6. Is there something I'm supposed to trigger to get out of here?

Ricker

OK this is embarrassing, but I'm stuck in the save hub at the start of chapter 6. Is there something I'm supposed to trigger to get out of here?

Yep...look carefully at the desks...you are suffering from the lining up to see icons control issue.

Drewfonse

Yup. Feels PS2 era. Love it.

And lol at borderline terrible. Game has some amazing art design, lighting and shadows.

PS2 era graphics= amazing light and shadows. Got it. Are you playing it on PS4/One?

Unless you were referring to the gameplay being PS2 era. Then I wholeheartedly agree.

I've still enjoyed what I've played so far.

-MD-

How do you know where to press X if no icons pop up...you just mash the button all the time lol...? unless we are not talking about the same thing.

I just look around. I never mash the button though.

I said this earlier in the thread but the game is way more fun with icons disabled, the green gel enemies drop sometimes I thought that was acid that would hurt me until like chapter 4. The oil on the ground I found out completely by accident by burning bodies. I noticed the photos on the table in the hub area so I just went near them and checked them out. I also really like having to check my ammo situation frequently when I pick up bullets because it doesn't tell me the amount I pick up.

Helps make it feel less "gamey" too not seeing popups everywhere. Wish I could disable the big icons during turning cranks and stuff though, those don't go away.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, the game is very PS2 era. As others have mentioned. My only real gripe is the laughably bad voice acting and the camera that pans in too close. It just feels... wrong. But I am getting used to it.

Andrew.

Banned
PS2 era graphics= amazing light and shadows. Got it. Are you playing it on PS4/One?

Unless you were referring to the gameplay being PS2 era. Then I wholeheartedly agree.

I've still enjoyed what I've played so far.

I'm talking PS2 era feel. Not with how it looks.

I wasn't really feeling this game until Chapter 5 and then it just clicked for me. You just have to be slow and know where various things are in the environment. This is probably going to be a lot of fun during multiple playthroughs when you are overpowered as fuck. I think I have the story figured out, but I hope it's not that predictable.

GravyButt

that
spider chick in chapter 4
literally scared the living bajeezus out of me. I literally saw that thing, and just ran like hell.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm talking PS2 era feel. Not with how it looks.
I get what you mean, the quality is of a higher standard then the crap we get these days.
I personally think the game looks lovely and am completely in love with the way the hospital sections look with its particle effects and DOF, also it reminds of Silent Hill.

Shadownet

Banned
MINOR SPOILERS
noticed the nurse standing right at the back of the room, it was very dark and foreboding so I just stood there and watched her for a few seconds, then as I slowly crept forward a small key icon appeared in the bottom corner of the screen (just like the one I had found earlier), it was then that I realised that I wasn't in danger and that I was actually being rewarded!! Ohh fuck yea!! Also love how she just jingles the key endlessly until you press the prompt lol

Lol this is hilarious.

Andrew.

Banned
I get what you mean, the quality is of a higher standard then the crap we get these days.
I personally think the game looks lovely and am completely in love with the way the hospital sections look with its particle effects and DOF, also it reminds of Silent Hill.

The Mikami Standard

What is Alan Wake's excuse then?

Something, something, writing.

On chapter 5 now, I think I'm near the end of. This chapter is actually much longer than I expected it to be, especially as four took me only twenty minutes or so (I think)
Does the game pick up from here? I'm enjoying it a fair amount but I'm curious if I'm going up or down hill.

-MD-

It was probably because the text was hyperlinked. I caught it and edited it ASAP. Sorry if it spoiled anything for you.

Nah it's all good I'm much further than that, I figured the link was what caused it, was just weird to see it bleed through like that.

Man.... on (refering to a second play through)
new game + , using the machin gun and the way the enemies react and just get TORE UP, is awesome. My only concern is ammo. I used it all up and haven't seen anymore to pick up. Please tell me your limited to the one clip only?

Frillen

In the chapter 9 boss
with the farm on fire. Are you supposed to take down the boss or the minions? What should I shoot at?

JoeFenix

Akumu difficulty is so deliciously evil! Some of the remixed encounters on chapter 11 hah!

You can tell the folks at Tango had a blast coming up with ways to torture players foolish enough to attempt this. I love this game :)

Yeah, the game is very PS2 era. As others have mentioned. My only real gripe is the laughably bad voice acting and the camera that pans in too close. It just feels... wrong. But I am getting used to it.

I think it's a script/dialogue issue more so than the actual voice acting being bad. But I do agree with you that it feels weird. Loving the game nonetheless.

mattp

is anyone playing with the reticle turned off?
i thought it might be fun to try, but man its basically impossible to aim lol

KorrZ

Beat chapters 3 & 4 last night and had a great time. This game just hits all the right notes for me with its dark oppressive atmosphere, beautiful art design and sneaky item scavenging. The combat got a lot more interesting now that I have more than just a pistol with 3 bullets too - I really love all the gorey detail. I shot the entire center of one zombies face out he literally had a donut head left.

Xpliskin

Sure thing:

Also the increased FOV really should hit the performance (much), dropping or decreasing the size of the bars would.

Ooh and for reference. This is the game with the complete fix pack applied and I believe FOV 90.

Sadly my somewhat older GPU (7850HD) has some issues keeping a steady 30 in some sections of the game when there are a lot of effects on the screen.

Dude, spoiler tag that shit.

Some people have yet to play the game and don't want to see those locales.

You do it this way: Chapter x : <external link to screenshot>

Elitist1945

The notion that a normal healthy human being can only "run" (I'd barely even call it running) for 2 seconds is pretty goddamn ridiculous.

Yeah and I don't like how he stops to catch his breath for like 5+ seconds, and you literally can't do anything.

Top Bottom