• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

is the part in chapter 5 with the three bodies supposed to be don in a certain order or is it just "press three buttons to open door"?

One thing about this game is that the story is kind of bad.

But the gameplay and atmosphere itself and all the horrible things that go on more than makes up for it. It keeps you interested throughout. I never had a dull moment so far.

But the gameplay and atmosphere itself and all the horrible things that go on more than makes up for it. It keeps you interested throughout. I never had a dull moment so far.

I on the other hand loved the story, the places they could go with a possible sequel makes my brain tingle,the ending stays with you, as long as you've been paying attention to the files and recorded words of Ruvik himself.a lot more questions than answers.

SDCowboy

I have to disagree. For the genre, to me, it has just the right amount and caliber of story. I'm not looking for a Final Fantasy game here. :p

HeelPower

The story makes you feel confused and messed up most of the time which is what the main character is going through.

It relies on atmosphere and the notes thrown about.It doesn't feel forced.It feels one with the game.

Maybe this style will change during the latter parts of the game ,but so far I see that they're trying to emulate Silent Hill to an extent.

Also the voice acting reminds me of the classic japanese style of games.

It reminds me of PS1 and early PS2 games.Its fun.

Carbonox

Chapter 12...

mj-laughing.gif

Did they contract the Resident Evil 6 team? I swear they made a bunch of levels in this game. Has their fucking stink on a bunch of them. Ain't no way Mikami thought some of this shit was a great idea.

Chapter 13 was an improvement but not brilliant. Chapter 14 (which I'm currently on) is better so far. I fear 9 and 10 were the height of the game.

The story makes you feel confused and messed up most of the time which is what the main character is going through.

It relies on atmosphere and the notes thrown about.It doesn't feel forced.It feels one with the game.

Maybe this style will change during the latter parts of the game ,but so far I see that they're trying to emulate Silent Hill to an extent.

Also the voice acting reminds me of the classic japanese style of games.

It reminds me of PS1 and early PS2 games.Its fun.
It's definitey fun. I haven't got immersed into a game for awhile.

Bayonetta 2 is next! :D

Anyone?

It there a NG+ or battle game of sorts after finishing the game once? Unlockables, new costumes, etc?

Yes, and only weapons so far.Also in NG+ you can choose the same or lower difficulty your first playthrough was. You can't for example select survivor if your first playthrough was on casual.

Chapter 13 was an improvement but not brilliant. Chapter 14 (which I'm currently on) is better so far. I fear 9 and 10 were the height of the game.

You will be pleasantly surprised by the final chapter ;)

Chapter 12...

mj-laughing.gif

Did they contract the Resident Evil 6 team? I swear they made a bunch of levels in this game. Has their fucking stink on a bunch of them. Ain't no way Mikami thought some of this shit was a great idea.

I don't get why people think that action moments is somethign straight out of RE6. It's just a more action section/ linear moment. I don't see anything wrong with having them in the game. RE6 was just FILLED with these. If anything maybe RE5. TEW does a great job of being varied but not really alienating itself and what it's going for. Least that's how I see it. It never stays doing the same thing too long aside from the core combat and mechanics.

mp1990

Banned
Man,after reading the OT my hype is like a roller coaster.Some times i have the desire of buying the game atm,other times i have only bad fellings about it.

I don't get why people think that action moments is somethign straight out of RE6. It's just a more action section/ linear moment. I don't see anything wrong with having them in the game. RE6 was just FILLED with these. If anything maybe RE5. TEW does a great job of being varied but not really alienating itself and what it's going for. Least that's how I see it. It never stays doing the same thing too long aside from the core combat and mechanics.

which level was twelve, what was the objective? I can't recall any super action like stages,

which level was twelve, what was the objective? I can't recall any super action like stages,

the one with the giant bug thing and shooting like two dozen or so zombies before leaving and then killing a dozen more to get to the ambulance, and then mowing down a hundred zombies before getting back on the bus and rolling over zombies as they pop-in

Ateron

Yes, and only weapons so far.Also in NG+ you can choose the same or lower difficulty your first playthrough was. You can't for example select survivor if your first playthrough was on casual.

You will be pleasantly surprised by the final chapter ;)

So I get to keep my progression, and the upgrades I made, if I'm understanding correctly, right? That's cool. Cause I'm on ch. 10 and been collecting a shit ton of gel, and I'm having a hard time believing you can get enough to upgrade everything to the max in one single playthrough.. And I even went as far as farming a certain idiot who refuses to die, as he was giving 1000 a pop and I had plenty of resources at the time to burn.

Which in turn confuses me a bit. I'm an okay shot, and I usually don't miss a lot, but I've been spending a lot of gel on stock abilities, as it pains me to leave bullets scattered around. Either I'm good at this or I'm being extremely lucky, cause I still haven't felt strapped for anything (meds, gel, bullets). Playing on the Survival, but I'm kinda wishing they would let us start in Nightmare from the get go. This game is a lot more tense than RE4 could ever be, but I'm starting to feel like a badass where the enemies should be the ones running away, not the other way around. I'm killing everything I stumble across, with stealth if possible or clever use of matches to burn a corpse plus 2 other dudes chasing me, but I'm not shy of blasting fools in the face when I feel I have too many bullets. The game is being too kind, I think.

Chabbles

Man,after reading the OT my hype is like a roller coaster.Some times i have the desire of buying the game atm,other times i have only bad fellings about it.

Agreed, reading through this, its just going back and forth from like to dislike, post by post. This is one of these games you just have to experience to see what the fucks what... My copy didnt arrive today like i was hoping.. hopefully monday.

The most part of the game cover my expectations, but Chapter 12 was a crap. WTF Mikami, worst chapter ever.

What I loved most about those chapters were the sense of scope and scale but that's pretty much it. However, I agree with the other comments that in a game where it's focus more is on darker, fucked up environments, the change is welcomed as opposed to a "survival horror game" that we are recently getting, which is straight up balls to the walls action from the get go.

the one with the giant bug thing and shooting like two dozen or so zombies before leaving and then mowing down a hundred zombies before getting back on the bus and rolling over zombies as they pop-in

I loved that chapter it was banana's
I got bored with the turret after a moment and pretty much incendiary bolted everything to death, because I could.. the busageddon part was jokes
who ever's mind Ruvik pulled that scenario from was a fan of crazy Japanese indie action flicks.

Agreed, reading through this, its just going back and forth from like to dislike, post by post. This is one of these games you just have to experience to see what the fucks what... My copy didnt arrive today like i was hoping.. hopefully monday.

I said it before, survival horror games ever since their inception had polarizing reviews/opinions. From reviewers and players alike.

I loved that chapter it was banana's
I got bored with the turret after a moment and pretty much incendiary bolted everything to death, because I could.. the busageddon part was jokes
who ever's mind Ruvik pulled that scenario from was a fan of crazy Japanese indie action flicks.

According to the art book that thing lives off eating it's own feces. :O

So I get to keep my progression, and the upgrades I made, if I'm understanding correctly, right? That's cool. Cause I'm on ch. 10 and been collecting a shit ton of gel, and I'm having a hard time believing you can get enough to upgrade everything to the max in one single playthrough.. And I even went as far as farming a certain idiot who refuses to die, as he was giving 1000 a pop and I had plenty of resources at the time to burn.

Which in turn confuses me a bit. I'm an okay shot, and I usually don't miss a lot, but I've been spending a lot of gel on stock abilities, as it pains me to leave bullets scattered around. Either I'm good at this or I'm being extremely lucky, cause I still haven't felt strapped for anything (meds, gel, bullets). Playing on the Survival, but I'm kinda wishing they would let us start in Nightmare from the get go. This game is a lot more tense than RE4 could ever be, but I'm starting to feel like a badass where the enemies should be the ones running away, not the other way around. I'm killing everything I stumble across, with stealth if possible or clever use of matches to burn a corpse plus 2 other dudes chasing me, but I'm not shy of blasting fools in the face when I feel I have too many bullets. The game is being too kind, I think.

accuracy is an option,when i upgraded it up to the 4th i never had an issue missing again..upgrading pistol crit to max gives it a 50/50 chance to pop an melon you shoot at..that's good, saves bullets too.

According to the art book that thing lives off eating it's own feces. :O

Japanese indie action flick confirmed, the art book sounds like the most awesome thing :( i wish they put a virtual version in the game.

I wasn't having a lot of fun with the first three chapters, because I felt the game threw me down the deep end and everything was just so what is going on even what are you expecting of meeeee. I kept dying in unfun ways and checkpointing was all over the place.

But now i'm in the fifth chapter and I'm enjoying it more. I think I had to change my mindset a little, especially when coming straight out of Mordor where you're an overpowered badass (which is cool too). It really does feel like a game that could've been made right after RE4,

I also get Silent Hill-vibes from it, maybe even more so than Resident Evil-vibes. Because of the weird setting, and especially because of the space where you get to save.

Black bars don't bother me as much as I thought they would. It actually kind of makes the game feel even more surreal.

mp1990

Banned

I didn't bought it yet,still waiting for opnions of close friends about it.The thing is,i'm not a big survival horror fan,being DS trilogy the most i've played,but i'm a big fan of RE4,so i'm still not decided.

"Well I never put a gun to my head."

"No, just sank into a bottle."

Not even close. -_-

You don't think alcoholism is a slow death? Joseph also isn't normally suicidal so I don't know why he owned that..Ruviks recording just before you got to that part explained the stages

Chabbles

I said it before, survival horror games ever since their inception had polarizing reviews/opinions. From reviewers and players alike.

Yep, survival horror in particular, like even down to how "scary" a game is can vary greatly. I cant wrap my mind around how someone cant play a game like, say dead space 1, saying its too scary. crazy talk. crazy talk!, alittle jump scare here and there, grow a pair! =P

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have to ask it; With everyone playing/completing the game now, does it make you all more or less excited for the DLC? (playing as Boxman and the two-part Juli Kidnman campaign DLC).

-MD-

I have to ask it; With everyone playing/completing the game now, does it make you all more or less excited for the DLC? (playing as Boxman and the two-part Juli Kidnman campaign DLC).

Haven't finished the game but the thought of more campaign content in the future is exciting. I'm glad we have that to look forward to still.

Despite really enjoying chapters 3/7/9 traded this in earlier without completing it, chapter 11 and 12.....that said i'd love some stand alone dlc, that are just big open sandbox area's

I want more man, bring on not-Mercs/Separate Ways. Especially if its some new environments ala the shipyard from RE4

DVCY201

Juli has barely been in the entire game. So yea, I'm excited for the DLC. The idea of a Separate Ways that's actually GOOD is tantalizing

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, getting the hang of it more. I think the problem is that ch.1-2, train you on stealth and then ch.3 throws you into action and non-linear design and I didn't know a lot of things so it was bad luck combined with frustrating.

-Like knowing that there's a save point to use as a base for each area is really really helpful.
-Knowing that you can disarm trap chests by opening slightly and letting go and opening again is helpful.
-leg shot to burn is helpful
-Having to rush -> duck -> stab for blinded stealth kills as opposed to just rush a blinded enemy and not get the prompt is helpful.

Things I still need help with:

-I can't figure out enemy luring and burning. If I wait until they get too close they hit me hard or kill me, if I light something from a bit away, they're afraid and won't go near it.

-Related, I can't figure out how to use hay stacks. It seems like there should be a way to move them around and use as like burning barriers but I can't move them and it's hard to get enemies right up to them.

-I don't quite get how the key locker works. At first I thought it was a cool system where you can visit whenever and replenish ammo, but they're one time use. So can't tell if it's a bad idea to take ammo and stuff that I might not really need right now but could be helpful in a later chapter?

-Can you only blind an enemy with a bottle (for a rush stealth kill) if they haven't seen you yet? Because I hit enemies in the head with a bottle who are approaching me and then rush them and they hit me.

-I'm actually running the most low on matches out of all ammo since I keep using them to save gun ammo. Wish you could purchase matches somewhere.

I feel like this is a game with a big learning curve and when you get the details of the combat down it's a fun RE4-2, but until you figure it out it can be a lot of dying.

Also while I like the sandbox non-linear areas of ch.3 & 4, they're pretty small and just 5-6 houses with a central area. I'm hoping there's some meaty RE castle/mansion size areas later on.

Chabbles

I didn't bought it yet,still waiting for opnions of close friends about it.The thing is,i'm not a big survival horror fan,being DS trilogy the most i've played,but i'm a big fan of RE4,so i'm still not decided.

Not a big fan of RE4 either, dont get me wrong its a decent game, a solid 8/10 imo, certainly not the best game ever to grace planet earth like some would lead a person to believe, very little horror and alot of action and the beginning of the end of resi as it was once known... uh oh, i seemed to have misplaced my flame shield ^^

Im hoping TEW is more, like alot more dark and twisted than Resi 4 shootem up was.

Top Bottom