• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Thank GOD for flawlesswidescreen and being part of sovereign PC

No more blackbars, no more 45 angle FOV

Major props to HaYDeN at flawlesswidescreen

I feel sorry for the ps4 users :/

Nothing to feel sorry about. I've gotten just as much enjoyment (30+ hours across xbox one, ps4, PC and ps3 versions) with the black bars as I would without them. Sorry is not how I would describe my time with the game :p

Just completed the game. Apart from the technical stuff and a few chapters going full on action(or to be more specific,
enemies with guns
)which is not something I prefer but I know some people on here do, I absolutely loved it and will be one that I will be playing multiple times. Chapter 15 was AMAZING but not everyone will love it. Apart from the encounters and the things you learn about the story, the level design is fantastic and has a few Mikami winks to the player. The ending without spoiling anything is alright, nothing special. It answers few major things but at the same time is vague and has that uncertainty feeling, going by what Mikami stated in interviews as I read in the spoiler thread, it will be one that players would have to dissect the notes, posters, newspapers as well as hints in the level design themselves, kind of like Silent Hill games in that regard. The final boss fight is good, maybe even great but not amazing. Certainly better than RE4's wait for Ada to throw you that red rocket to one hit kill the boss, imo.

My favorite chapters from favorite to least favorite

Chapter 15
Chapter 10
Chapter 9
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 6
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 14
Chapter 13
Chapter 12
Chapter 11
Chapter 2
Chapter 1
Chapter 8
congrats dude, I really liked the
vagueness
of the ending and I will be replaying, and anxiously waiting for the DLC.

Not to be snobby, but I'm playing on a 60" TV, and the black bars just make me feel like I'm directing a gory film. And mostly, I don't even notice them. I'd hate to play the game on a 22" monitor.

Because he's so easily exploited to do the player's dirty work, and kinda ruins the tension of the chapter.

Also like the entire chapter is basically Seb being forced to deal with all the dumb shit Joseph does.

Joseph isn't dumb, you really need to pay attention to the recordings and the writings Ruvik leaves behind.

Any PC people having issues with the steam achievements not working at all for this game? I've looked through them and have met requirements for quite a few but none have triggered.

I'm guessing the achievements might be disabled if you run the game with the console enabled? Otherwise not sure what the issue would be.
That's exactly the issue. If you reload the game, then the save they should trigger. And using the config file in your Users/Saved Games/Tango Gameworks folder to input the commands. Now, howver, you can just use the FOV fix from flawlesswidescreen and it will fix it up nicely.

A tip for anyone playing on Akumu towards the end of Chapter 6
on the "Sentinel" (mutated wolf boss fight). Throw grenades into the first bush the wolf goes into (I used ~3) and then run towards the gate right next to it - the wolf just kept circling around me in that small area between the two bushes and I was able to unload all my shotgun rounds into it (~5 shots) - beat it within literally 30 seconds. It could have been just pure luck though.

Elitist1945

Yeah I'm one of the people who has no problem with the black bars - but maybe because I'm a huge fan of those cinematic video games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Bro i'm with you on the movie side, preserver the original directors intent, filmgrain and all, fuck no to DNR :)

But on your TV we have 16:9 and if it's in 2.35 1 you can always get a bigger HDTV/projector or zoom. That doesn't work too well on your monitor/hdtv while gaming.
Yeah I agree that this should have been full screen,but the blackbars and the FOV don't bother me much, mainly the save area is the only thing that bothers me.
But a nice big tv with the lights off helps I guess.

antitrop

Game looks great on my 23" monitor, I actually like the black bars.
I played a bunch of games in 3840x1620 to take 2.35:1 screenshots and I didn't like it at all on my 22" monitor.

The Evil Within's letterboxing doesn't bother me on my 44" Bravia, though. Especially in complete darkness at night, the black bars just blend in with the darkness and all I can focus on is the gameplay.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I played a bunch of games in 3840x1620 to take 2.35:1 screenshots and I didn't like it at all on my 22" monitor.

The Evil Within's letterboxing doesn't bother me on my 44" Bravia, though. Especially in complete darkness at night, the black bars just blend in with the darkness and all I can focus on is the gameplay.
See this would bug the shit out of me if I was playing on a 22"
But you get what I'm saying, big TV,lights off and your just focused on the wider screen presentation.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Man, once you know the tricks this game gets a lot easier. For example in Chapter 3 on Nightmare to defeat the boss:
you only need to hit him with a Flash Bolt then quickly knife him. That's it, he's dead.

GravyButt

Please tell me that the
invisible mother fuckers only show in chpt 5 before you find your partner

Really hate these sons of bitches, please tell me thats the last time they ever appear.

Ricker

Okay start of chapter 9 is confusing,not sure whats happening,If I run or hide or what,I just keep dying,guess I'll figure it out but so far,annoyance lol...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finally got the game and started playing. I'm part way into Ch 2 now. I've read tons of impressions (minus the spoiler tagged stuff) so I'm well aware that many people don't think the game starts very strongly.

Given the impressions, though, I was expecting Ch 1 to be straight up garbage, but for me it was just "eh." It was an overlong tutorial, and I probably won't play it again on NG+, but it didn't make me actively angry. Even the stealth part, which could have been tedious and frustrating, was pretty easy.

The "slow walking" part definitely dragged for way too long. It made me think of the profound effect Uncharted 2's intro has had on AAA 3rd person adventures, and it also made me appreciate (again) how amazingly paced and varied their "forced slow walk" intro was compared to all the imitators. This game in particular doesn't nail it. I made the mistake of exploring the sewer area and of course there was nothing there, which means what you're supposed to do is just walk down a series of hallways, slowly, and that's some lame game design. Then big cinematic stuff happens that seems both elaborate and cheaply made at the same time. Popping textures with almost every new shot doesn't help any.

Chapter 2 seems like a continuation of a slow tutorial easing the player into simple combat scenarios, and I can appreciate that approach, although once again it's something I might skip on the second playthrough. I will say the environment looks pretty good and performance is inexplicably better than in Ch 1, at least given the apparent complexity of the geometry. I've been through a couple of encounters so far, and while I don't really love how the aiming feels, I do love the intermittent reward of getting the perfect headshot. Mikami knows what he's doing in that area, for sure.

So far the FOV/aspect ratio haven't been too annoying, but I'm playing on a decent sized TV from fairly close. If anything is annoying me right now, it's the amount of camera bob when you walk/run/whatever. It's not a good combo with slightly sketchy framerate and the huge character in a narrow frame. When Sebastian climbed that first ladder and the camera movement smoothed out and the framerate hit a perfect 30, I felt just a hint of relief.

The load times are bad, but I haven't died enough times to be bothered by them yet.

I'm going to try not to focus on the janky stuff and just see how absorbed I get in the gameplay. Since I haven't gotten into any real serious encounters yet, the jank is merely cosmetic at this point. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say about it if it interferes with gameplay.

Ricker

Finally got the game and started playing. I'm part way into Ch 2 now. I've read tons of impressions (minus the spoiler tagged stuff) so I'm well aware that many people don't think the game starts very strongly.

Given the impressions, though, I was expecting Ch 1 to be straight up garbage, but for me it was just "eh." It was an overlong tutorial, and I probably won't play it again on NG+, but it didn't make me actively angry. Even the stealth part, which could have been tedious and frustrating, was pretty easy.

The "slow walking" part definitely dragged for way too long. It made me think of the profound effect Uncharted 2's intro has had on AAA 3rd person adventures, and it also made me appreciate (again) how amazingly paced and varied their "forced slow walk" intro was compared to all the imitators. This game in particular doesn't nail it. I made the mistake of exploring the sewer area and of course there was nothing there, which means what you're supposed to do is just walk down a series of hallways, slowly, and that's some lame game design. Then big cinematic stuff happens that seems both elaborate and cheaply made at the same time. Popping textures with almost every new shot doesn't help any.

Chapter 2 seems like a continuation of a slow tutorial easing the player into simple combat scenarios, and I can appreciate that approach, although once again it's something I might skip on the second playthrough. I will say the environment looks pretty good and performance is inexplicably better than in Ch 1, at least given the apparent complexity of the geometry. I've been through a couple of encounters so far, and while I don't really love how the aiming feels, I do love the intermittent reward of getting the perfect headshot. Mikami knows what he's doing in that area, for sure.

So far the FOV/aspect ratio haven't been too annoying, but I'm playing on a decent sized TV from fairly close. If anything is annoying me right now, it's the amount of camera bob when you walk/run/whatever. It's not a good combo with slightly sketchy framerate and the huge character in a narrow frame. When Sebastian climbed that first ladder and the camera movement smoothed out and the framerate hit a perfect 30, I felt just a hint of relief.

The load times are bad, but I haven't died enough times to be bothered by them yet.

I'm going to try not to focus on the janky stuff and just see how absorbed I get in the gameplay. Since I haven't gotten into any real serious encounters yet, the jank is merely cosmetic at this point. I'm sure I'll have a lot more to say about it if it interferes with gameplay.

The next chapter is probably where most people decide if they like the game,really like the game or kinda give up on it lol...

Bl@de

Yeah I'm one of the people who has no problem with the black bars - but maybe because I'm a huge fan of those cinematic video games.

Yeah me too^^ The FOV and Bars don't bother me on my 23" 16:9 Dell Monitor. It's not like I sit 5m away. I tried the FOV fix but the bright lamp is making my eyes bleed like a J.J. Abrahms movie. As long as I have my 60fps the game is great with bars, filters and whatever.

Resident Evil Revelations was way worse for me with the narrow FOV and with shooters I need 90-95. No probs with TEW.

-MD-

hey guys im on chapter 3 and I have a question: What is the point of burning the corpses with matches?

If an enemy falls down you can take it out completely with a match before it stands back up, you can also kill multiple enemies if they're near each other when you use a match.

Light oil slicks on fire etc.

HeelPower

Do enemies respawn after some time passes ?

Or do they respawn after you die or use a mirror ?

I am on chapter 6 right..Never had an enemy respawn so I don't understand.

hey guys im on chapter 3 and I have a question: What is the point of burning the corpses with matches?

It's essentially a reliable way to guarantee an enemy will not get back up. I rarely used them on those cosmetic corpses that are strewn about because I was worried about them, but I tended to be as strategic as I could with them when fighting normal aggressors. In a game where ammo use is so conservative, they're very useful for instantly downing mid-tier enemies that will otherwise be annoying bullet sponges that suck all your resources up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had a bit of déjà vu. Anyone else?
Wall_o_stuff.JPG

-MD-

I am just drive by posting here. Whatever personal issues you have with ViewtifulJC, maybe you should try to resolve them somehow.

I think it was more that JC actively tries to mock the game whenever he can so someone asking a question and immediately making a decision based on his opinion didn't sit right with him.

That's how I took it.

Do enemies respawn after some time passes ?

Or do they respawn after you die or use a mirror ?

I am on chapter 6 right..Never had an enemy respawn so I don't understand.

Enemies don't respawn I'm not really sure what he was talking about.

For people who want to know if this game is scary, tense or whatever just use the search in the upper right corner for these words tense, scared, scary, intense then see how many people were as such vs. those who weren't. It would make your decision easier lol.

-MD-

So burning enemies you already defeat is useless?

I'm only on chapter 9 but up until that point I'd say yes, I've yet to see an enemy come back to life after it died.

They're meant to be used to quickly take out enemies that fall down so you save ammo.

Ateron

Probably a spoilerish question, but..for those who have finished it already, is there a NG+, or special modes (not including nightmare and akumu)?

This game isn't exactly RE4 2.0, but once you get the hang of the controls, how the guns behave and enemies react to them, and you learn to do evasive sprints, it kinda clicks, so I would like to know if there's a battle game of sorts in the game.

I would search on gamefaqs or some other site, but I'm afraid of getting spoiled on other things by mistake. I'm still on ch. 10.

I think it was more that JC actively tries to mock the game whenever he can so someone asking a question and immediately making a decision based on his opinion didn't sit right with him.

That's how I took it.
Fair enough, but its obvious that the game has rough edges here and there so I am not surprised that someone would be bothered enough to just downplay it all the time.

The other posters that replied to my question though didn't seem to contradict him all that much either. Certainly didn't make it sound like this is a revival of the survival horror genre.

SDCowboy

I'm only on chapter 9 but up until that point I'd say yes, I've yet to see an enemy come back to life after it died.

They're meant to be used to quickly take out enemies that fall down so you save ammo.

Really? I see them come back all the time. That or sometimes it's hard to tell if they're just knocked down.

Fair enough, but its obvious that the game has rough edges here and there so I am not surprised that someone would be bothered enough to just downplay it all the time.

The other posters that replied to my question though didn't seem to contradict him all that much either. Certainly didn't make it sound like this is a revival of the survival horror genre.

I gave a game an 8/10 btw, so I really liked it despite its many janky aspects. It definitely feels like an action game with some horror movie trappings to me. If you aren't scared at the sight of zombies and giant pools of blood, you should be ok.

HeelPower

cool.

I sometimes burn the play dead corpses thrown around to.They drop good stuff sometimes(but it may aggro neighboring corpses)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Really? I see them come back all the time. Regardless, I typically burn them when it will make others walk through the fire.

You can time it to where the enemy standing gets caught in the blaze. This is how I've been getting out of situations where I have low ammo.

-MD-

Really? I see them come back all the time. Regardless, I typically burn them when it will make others walk through the fire.

You see enemies die and come back to life in chapters 1-8?

I've never seen that.

cool.

I sometimes burn the play dead corpses thrown around to.They drop good stuff sometimes(but it may aggro neighboring corpses)

Yeah a few times I've made good calls with burning bodies already laying on the ground.

SDCowboy

You can time it to where the enemy standing gets caught in the blaze. This is how I've been getting out of situations where I have low ammo.

I think a lot of times I'm assuming the zombie is dead when they are just down. Who knows. lol Either way, I use my matches quite a bit.

Gaz_RB

I think a lot of times I'm assuming the zombie is dead when they are just down. Who knows. lol Either way, I use my matches quite a bit.
Yeah I do too. So satisfying.

My GF watches me play a lot and every time I down someone she's like "BURN HIM BURN HIM!!"

Top Bottom