• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

The Last of Us and this game have nothing in common. How you can draw the two together is beyond me

Both the stealth and the approach to stealth are very similar. I felt through much of the early chapters that the game felt just like how it felt the first time I played TLoU.

The combat is where they differ greatly. TLoU is about scrambling to find a way out of a situation using whatever you still have on you. TEW combat feels somewhere between Dead Space 1 and RE4.

I'm going to go as far as to say I think so far TEW has better, if obviously completely less believable level design, and more variety than TLoU. But TLoU felt vastly more tense, largely I think because of the believability and the much more narrow margin of error in TLoU's starter hard mode vs TEW's starter hard mode.

Squishy3

Chapter 15 spoilers:
Awesome, not enough resources to kill the chainsaw guy. :/ Picked up every single thing before the fight and before entering Ruvik's eye despite crafting explosive bolts, fire bolts, shock bolts, etc. I still don't have nearly enough stuff to deal with him.

Never really had a resource problem in the rest of the game except the chapter 14 boss and now this. :/

That's kind of a strawman argument. No one is doing that.

For me, the bars break immersion rather than increase it. In chapter 11, for example, I want to look around and take in the scenery because it's really well done. That's difficult when a third of the screen is black bars and another third is the main character's ass.
The irony..

I am playing on PC, but I'm not sitting at a desk. I am playing on a 42'' plasma, so I have to use the controller--which sucks for aiming in this game. Also, you mentioned that you played the game on Casual. I just turned it to Casual where auto aim is on and head shots are ridiculously easy even when enemies are moving. I suggest playing on Survival for a bit to see what I'm talking about.

No auto aim for me broski, it gets in the way more than helps, I want to shoot what I want to shoot. :)

Last of us suffers in those areas only because of how grounded it is in the reality of its world, some good'ol eastern WTF?! would have made it another game though. whether that game was better, we'll never know.

That's exactly the problem I have with it. It was way to obsessed with being grounded and telling it's story that it forgot to be a fun video game.

Meia

Probably been talked about before, but in Chapter 5,
and whatever chapter these asses show up in, how the hell do you deal with invisible enemies? Been pumping up points into pistol criticals which has saved a bunch of ammo for me, but I can't exactly go for headshots when you can't SEE a head. Great idea in the game for that reason, but it's just getting me killed here. Takes so much shotgun ammo otherwise that I pretty much run out of ammo after the last one I run into when I have the keycard.

and whatever chapter these asses show up in, how the hell do you deal with invisible enemies? Been pumping up points into pistol criticals which has saved a bunch of ammo for me, but I can't exactly go for headshots when you can't SEE a head. Great idea in the game for that reason, but it's just getting me killed here. Takes so much shotgun ammo otherwise that I pretty much run out of ammo after the last one I run into when I have the keycard.

I stand behind a puddle or something that can be kicked about, when the water ripples or the objects move I just shoot there, it's hard to get head shots but at least you're hitting something.

Arkanius

Look for cues in the ground. Fire an arrow at him, the arrow will stay visible despite him being invisible.

Light arrow anywhere near them. Stealth kill. You will never even get hurt.

That's exactly the problem I have with it. It was way to obsessed with being grounded and telling it's story that it forgot to be a fun video game.

I had fun though, part of it came from the immersion in that reality,if you're not feeling the story i think its hard to find a point in a lot of the seemingly repetitive parts that make up the gameplay, but i was fully immersed, it worked because it did what it did well.

Yuterald

Just reached Chapter 8 this afternoon. I'm still mixed on the game. I've liked a lot of things I've seen/played, but at the same, there's been a lot of design decisions I've disagreed with. I actually don't really care for any of the bosses I've faced so far either. They certainly have nothing on Resident Evil 4 and I don't think I even enjoy them as much as the ones from Vanquish (even though it's an entirely different game). There's just something off about the bigger foes I've faced, it's really hard to describe. Maybe the encounters get more interesting, I don't know. I think I prefer the chapters/scenarios when Seb is alone, now that I think about it. I hate AI partners supporting me and I hate dumb bone NPCs following me. I didn't like it in RE4 and I typically don't like it in really any 3rd person shooter/character-based action game. The stage/set-piece design is a mixed bag too. Some areas flow really well together and feel competently designed. Others feel like remnants of Resident Evil 5 and RE: Revelations, to some extent. Man, this game has really been a bunch of highs and lows...

use your agony crossbow the line it shows never lies ;)
also shooting a harpoon bolt stays in it to mark it

Finished my Akumu playthrough:

http://i1.minus.com/ibaooZn6zP1w58.jpg

dwightshrutecelebrating.gif

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
Just tried some of hard mode. It does not fuck around.

I believe if you miss you can just run around and avoid her long enough to still escape. And when you're in that room there is a lever on the ceiling which needs to be shot.

Thanks. Yea Im playing on survival, I finally got through that part after a bunch of tries. Im almost done with the game and then its on to nightmare mode before I attempt a shot at Akumu.

God help me.

Gator86

Just reached Chapter 8 this afternoon. I'm still mixed on the game. I've liked a lot of things I've seen/played, but at the same, there's been a lot of design decisions I've disagreed with. I actually don't really care for any of the bosses I've faced so far either. They certainly have nothing on Resident Evil 4 and I don't think I even enjoy them as much as the ones from Vanquish (even though it's an entirely different game). There's just something off about the bigger foes I've faced, it's really hard to describe. Maybe the encounters get more interesting, I don't know. I think I prefer the chapters/scenarios when Seb is alone, now that I think about it. I hate AI partners supporting me and I hate dumb bone NPCs following me. I didn't like it in RE4 and I typically don't like it in really any 3rd person shooter/character-based action game. The stage/set-piece design is a mixed bag too. Some areas flow really well together and feel competently designed. Others feel like remnants of Resident Evil 5 and RE: Revelations, to some extent. Man, this game has really been a bunch of highs and lows...

I agree with almost all of this. I think less is more with this game. Whenever I'm sneaking around and fighting regular enemies, solving puzzles, etc., it's really good. All of the big set pieces, chases, and bosses are kind of terrible. It's more trial and error and, for me, there's no tension. When sneaking around, I'm worried about getting caught and wasting ammo. When I'm fighting some giant boss or something, it's more "ugh, I hope I don't get instakilled and have to do this shit again."

And yeah, Sep alone is the highlight of the game. Any time you encounter his dopey, pointless partners the entertainment value drops. I want to be alone and isolated in this foreign place. I don't want to babysit glasses asshole or generic female.

Yuterald

I'm not sure what to think of the traps in this game, however. Conceptually, I love the idea. Luring enemies into spots and triggering hazards to conserve ammo/resources is cool and everything, but I don't really agree with how it's implemented. Take a game like Haunting Ground, where the traps felt very much integral and organic to the games environment/location. That game's house of horror-like traps and hazards felt literally built into the establishment/structures the player was exploring. The traps in Evil Within feel more like they were placed down by a user in a Deception game (see Trapt on PS2 as well). Does anyone else feel the same way about how they're implemented in this game? It's not the worst thing ever, but as someone who's played other horror games with similar ideas (like Deception/Haunting Ground), it was all very transparent to me.

For example, in Chapter 3...
there's factory-like switches inside cabins that activate arrow traps or floor spikes. My problem is, they don't feel like they fit into the environment, or rather, as if someone placed them there naturally. The floor boards below the floor spikes, for example, don't even have any noticeable holes/indents to show that there is a mechanism below. You could argue this in various ways. One, it's a fucking video game and the way the developers implemented traps sort of compliments the arcade-like action game design. Two, this game's world is definitely not grounded, so you can have that suspension of disbelief as the entire game could all be in Sebastian's head, for example).
. Still, it's something that's been sort of sitting in the back of my head every time I encounter a trap ,so I figured I'd test the waters here and see if anyone else noticed this "disconnect".

Will play more today, but I'm hoping the game picks up again. I really didn't care for the majority of Chapter 4 & 5, but I keep seeing/reading people flip out about later chapters, so I'll see, I guess.

I'm guessing my comment regarding the traps and such got lost in the thread earlier? Wondering if anyone else shared these sentiments? Or am I in the minority here having these thoughts, haha?

Lucael

About the Chapter
Five boss
: even if the concept sounds cool the execution it's really poor.

- Again, restricted visual cause of the black bars make difficult to track the enemies to know when
trigger the furnace
- What's the point to be
oneshotted in this fight? When she chase you, make sense. But here? It's a bit frustrating, since you first need to get acquainted to the room

Except for some choices, the game is still great, I don't enjoy more action-oriented chapters but I like everything else..

I agree with almost all of this. I think less is more with this game. Whenever I'm sneaking around and fighting regular enemies, solving puzzles, etc., it's really good. All of the big set pieces, chases, and bosses are kind of terrible. It's more trial and error and, for me, there's no tension. When sneaking around, I'm worried about getting caught and wasting ammo. When I'm fighting some giant boss or something, it's more "ugh, I hope I don't get instakilled and have to do this shit again."

And yeah, Sep alone is the highlight of the game. Any time you encounter his dopey, pointless partners the entertainment value drops. I want to be alone and isolated in this foreign place. I don't want to babysit glasses asshole or generic female.

you just suck at the game dude, and one of those derpy characters takes care of themselves better than most npc's in the last 2 generations those characters are there to remind you that you're NOT alone, you being alone is the antithesis of what the games story is about.

It's a pretty schizophrenic game and also makes me feel that way. Partners are indeed a good indicator of when I get angry about how godawful and painfully generic the game can be (including the doctor chapters). Then it eventually switches to ,,Now I wanna be moody'' and I'm just thinking about how good these sections would have been on their own (even though the actual real deal really only is chapter 9). Now the game unfortunately is about 50% shit(, because the non-horror parts aren't even nearly as good as RE4 either).

Grisby

You could just run. That whole bit takes a minute or two and you don't have to frustrate yourself trying to kill them.

Gator86

you just suck at the game dude, and one of those derpy characters takes care of themselves better than most npc's in the last 2 generations those characters are there to remind you that you're NOT alone, you being alone is the antithesis of what the games story is about.

When did I say I was struggling to get through the game? I've died relatively little through Chapter 12. My point was that those parts aren't as fun. But yes, I guess "durrrr git gud" adds something of value to your comment.

kunonabi

I'm guessing my comment regarding the traps and such got lost in the thread earlier? Wondering if anyone else shared these sentiments? Or am I in the minority here having these thoughts, haha?

Can't say about the whole game but for the first 7 chapters at least the traps are pretty pointless. Rarely are they are in a spot where they can catch you off guard and they are rarely in areas where you can guide enemies to. Even when you do they usually make it a point to avoid them anyway. I found it easier to just make my traps using matches and occasionally the agony crossbow. I personally don't think they had much to the game from what I played which is a shame since the traps were a big reason I was interested in the game to begin with. I'd much rather have seen the traps implemented better than have the agony crossbow at all.

you are.
every built into the enviroment trap has a "tell", its not always up, it may be down, and vice verssa, its a trivial quibble compared to other bigger issues.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Up to 14 now. 12 is the only chapter that felt like a misfire so far,
it just played out waaaay too janky, to the point where it felt like it was from some budget shooter last gen. The camera angle fighting the spider thing was a little odd and the extremely small movement space didn't help. The ambush didn't really play to the strengths of TEW's combat as you're, again, stuck in a very small space trying to go for leg shots so enemies blow eachother up. And at this point the FoV can get in the way as I didn't even realize enemies were right in front of the bus for awhile as they kept coming from the left which is where I was focused.

The sneak/fight to the ambulance was alright, but then the mounted gun shows up and it's just...holy shit, what. Again, feeling like a really weird outdated setpiece as there's nothing exciting to really do but paint the targets and mow them down. I noticed you don't have to use it, but I wasn't going to actually use resources when that thing is there. Then there's the final drive segment which doesn't last very long but the engine could not handle it at all. Haunted blatantly just materialize out of the air which, again, serves to feel like some janky budget game setpiece.

Luckily it wasn't long or anything but...bleh.

Ricker

Chapter 11 water stuff is some straight up bullshit right there...after a genius level like 10,we have this timing crap going on,jesus christ...

Up to 14 now. 12 is the only chapter that felt like a misfire so far,
it just played out waaaay too janky, to the point where it felt like it was from some budget shooter last gen. The camera angle fighting the spider thing was a little odd and the extremely small movement space didn't help. The ambush didn't really play to the strengths of TEW's combat as you're, again, stuck in a very small space trying to go for leg shots so enemies blow eachother up. And at this point the FoV can get in the way as I didn't even realize enemies were right in front of the bus for awhile as they kept coming from the left which is where I was focused.

The sneak/fight to the ambulance was alright, but then the mounted gun shows up and it's just...holy shit, what. Again, feeling like a really weird outdated setpiece as there's nothing exciting to really do but paint the targets and mow them down. I noticed you don't have to use it, but I wasn't going to actually use resources when that thing is there. Then there's the final drive segment which doesn't last very long but the engine could not handle it at all. Haunted blatantly just materialize out of the air which, again, serves to feel like some janky budget game setpiece.

Luckily it wasn't long or anything but...bleh.

I LMAO'd at
pop-in zombies at the last set piece. Shit felt something from a Suda51 game or some shit

Just finished chapter 6 and had to stop. There is only so much random stupidity I can take.

Is this all at some point starting to make sense or what? Like, I don't get it. I mean, it's all good to make the storyline mysterious and whatnot but so far this is just a collection of random setpieces, in random areas with random enemies and bland characters that don't even give a shit about that shit is getting real around them. What the fuck is this?

Considering that I'm constantly fighting with the effin horrible controls (and this is coming from someone who loves the old REs!) and the camera, this game is making it really difficult for me to stay motivated.

I really tried HARD to like this game (even restarted it this weekend) but I just can't. This is by far the worst game I've played in a long time. My brain does not comprehend that this game is directed by the same man that gave me my most favourite games of all time.

I'm going to finish this game no matter what but I really got to say that TEW is the biggest let down of my gaming life. Breaks my hear.

Yuterald

you are.
every built into the enviroment trap has a "tell", its not always up, it may be down, and vice verssa, its a trivial quibble compared to other bigger issues.

I don't know, man, the only chapter where I felt like the traps have made sense were in Chapter 7. The environment clearly lent itself to the hazards. Everywhere else in the game so far has felt like I've been toying around in a Deception-game map where I could have placed the switches on random walls to cause imaginary floor spikes and ceiling arrows to spawn. Also, I don't find it to be a very trivial hangup either, especially when it's a very viable tool/option within the game's core mechanics.

When did I say I was struggling to get through the game? I've died relatively little through Chapter 12. My point was that those parts aren't as fun. But yes, I guess "durrrr git gud" adds something of value to your comment.

how many times did you die to easily avoidable enemies and complain about one hit deaths that you put yourself in a situation to suffer?" Its beyond get good mang, just get another game, babbys first survival horror would be my recommendation!

I don't know, man, the only chapter where I felt like the traps have made sense were in Chapter 7. The environment clearly lent itself to the hazards. Everywhere else in the game so far has felt like I've been toying around in a Deception-game map where I could have placed the switches on random walls to cause imaginary floor spikes and ceiling arrows to spawn. Also, I don't find it to be a very trivial hangup either, especially when it's a very viable tool/option within the game's core mechanics.

you're either not paying attention or your graphics card is effed up, aside frm traps you can disarm to get bolts from, every trap has had a tell, plus the story being what it is easily explains away any actual quibble you have.

DVCY201

Just beat Chapter 13. So Kidman is
Ada Wong
? Oooh Mikami! That section in the apartment complex is tense, died there a few times. But the "Boss" didn't really feel well-thought out. And what the fuck is with those disc mines? Wasn't fun in RE6, and it's not fun here. Seriously.

C'mon guys, the black bars being 'artistic vision' is pure bullshit. It's for performance reasons through and through, look at the framerate they have even with cutting out such a large portion of the picture. I kind of wish this game on consoles used the dynamic resolution scaling that Rage did to achieve a full 16:9 picture and a steady 30fps, because the framedrops and blackbars/fov really hinder the experience, and not in a way that makes it seem intentional, but in a way where it is obvious the technical issues are getting in the way of playing the game. When that happens it can only take you out of the game, not immerse you in deeper. After playing it extensively in the original and modded, I feel totally comfortable saying that no black bars and fixed FOV is how this game should be played. It is just undeniably better.

Use the physics objects strewn about everywhere to track their movements. Put some between you and the direction they are coming from and shoot when you see it move. There is a reason they put the first encounter with one in a room full of stacks of books falling over and stuff :p

Lucent

Chapter 11 water stuff is some straight up bullshit right there...after a genius level like 10,we have this timing crap going on,jesus christ...

Are you using the bodies on the ropes to feed the monsters? It's really not hard. They give you a lot of time. What I did at the gates is wait to hear the beeps and I shot a body down (you can shoot the bodies. No need to hit the rope.) and swam through the gates. The bodies and platforms are really well-placed.

C'mon guys, the black bars being 'artistic vision' is pure bullshit. It's for performance reasons through and through, look at the framerate they have even with cutting out such a large portion of the picture. I kind of wish this game on consoles used the dynamic resolution scaling that Rage did to achieve a full 16:9 picture and a steady 30fps, because the framedrops and blackbars/fov really hinder the experience, and not in a way that makes it seem intentional, but in a way where it is obvious the technical issues are getting in the way of playing the game. When that happens it can only take you out of the game, not immerse you in deeper. After playing it extensively in the original and modded, I feel totally comfortable saying that no black bars and fixed FOV is how this game should be played. It is just undeniably better.

Use the physics objects strewn about everywhere to track their movements. Put some between you and the direction they are coming from and shoot when you see it move. There is a reason they put the first encounter with one in a room full of stacks of books falling over and stuff :p

why is your word above the directors? because you don't share his vision for the visual look of the game he's a liar and you suddenly became an expert director and programmer in one fell swoop? wake up, if you don't like the black bars fine, next time i'm sure he'll make them an option but show a little respect, blatantly calling a director a liar is some bs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I LMAO'd at
pop-in zombies at the last set piece. Shit felt something from a Suda51 game or some shit

And there's a trophy for not hitting any of them

which is literally only a challenge because the game can't even render them. mikami pls

Ch 4 help needed:
What do I do with the zombie that keeps grabbing me and disappearing in the basement with the kid and the doctor???

I'm loving the overall game, but I seem to be off center from the opinions of some here. I hated ch 10.
Beyond the opening area spinning blade area(which was great)there's very little original to the stage. Shoot everything I have at two creepy orges. Okay. Then refighting an already killed boss? No thanks, and then dropping me into another spam my weapons boss fight? What a slog.

Chapter 11 on the other hand was fantastic, as far as I'm concerned. With planning and tactics, everything can pretty easily be overcome. *shrug* At least a lot of us are enjoying it, anyway!

Top Bottom