• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sadist

Played the first chapter today. Was pretty cool.
Running away from the chainsaw dude while limping was pretty funny. Gonna enjoy this

ryan13ts

Almost finished with the game.

I enjoy it quite a bit, but I'd have to say the biggest thing holding me back from downright being in love with it is that there are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too many instant kills or unfair situations where you walk into a room and die without having a chance to even analyze the situation. Mikami and his team really went way too overboard with those. Resident Evil 4 had them (I didn't even like them there) but they were no where near there as bad there as they are in this game,

I feel like the game doesn't give a fair shot in many of the set pieces, and basically punishes you for not understanding exactly what to do the minute you're in that position. When I die on basically every "oh shit" encounter for reasons I feel that are very unfair, it really takes me out of the game and distracts from being immersed in the experience (And I'm not crappy at survival horror by any means, it's my favorite genre). Add to the fact that a lot of them are just exercises in trail and error and it's my biggest gripe with the game.

Outside that glaring issue, I really do like this game. The story, the atmosphere, the absolute insanity of the positions you're put into are all very compelling and it's very much it's own game instead of being a clone of Resident Evil or Silent Hill. I would have perfered if it had stuck closer to how it was in the beginning throughout the entire game and had a little less focus on action in some of the middle chapters, but overall I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with what Mikami has delivered.

Dresden

The traps kinda have to be instakills (there is no other conclusion from being spit by a wall of spikes), but it's the deaths outside them that bug me, especially from the bosses.

Lucent

I'm loving the overall game, but I seem to be off center from the opinions of some here. I hated ch 10.
Beyond the opening area spinning blade area(which was great)there's very little original to the stage. Shoot everything I have at two creepy orges. Okay. Then refighting an already killed boss? No thanks, and then dropping me into another spam my weapons boss fight? What a slog.

Chapter 11 on the other hand was fantastic, as far as I'm concerned. With planning and tactics, everything can pretty easily be overcome. *shrug* At least a lot of us are enjoying it, anyway!

I didn't find the
two ogre things that hard. I mean I died a few times but in the end I mostly used a few arrow types and a couple grenades. And the spider girl you didn't have to kill her. That was something you could escape. Was nice they gave you a choice. The end boss could've been ammo heavy but I guess I got lucky when I finally beat him. Really been doing my best to conserve ammo in any way I can think of, even if it takes a few deaths to figure out a strategy.

I guess even when I keep dying in the game I never felt like it was a slog. I enjoy the atmosphere, environments, enemies, and situations most of the time so I guess I'm so into it even dying doesn't get to me.

nilbog21

Banned
Glad people have chilled out over the black bars and fps.. Sometimes I think people just want the highest possible res and fps and completely miss the point..

antitrop

So how much green gel did you guys farm in ch7 at
the keeper boss fight, he goes down in 2 harpoons and gives you 1,000 gel, and you can easily disable his traps to make more harpoons, I think I got 20k so far, just running around in circles

halfway through the game and i go back and forth on it. lots of great things about the game but lots of annoying/shitty things holding it back. one of my big problems is with the collision/hit detection. i have had more than a few times where i hit a guy right in his head and it just goes through him to the wall. there are other times (specifically with the guys who light dynamite) where they are doing the "light dynamite" animation and have like invicible frames! i try to shoot them and nothing happens.

this has continued a few times where i attach an explosive bow shot to a zombie with 2 or 3 others near him but ONLY he is affected, the other guys left unscathed. this doesn't happen every time but its just annoying that it ever happens

the black bars suck. i guess i have gotten used to it but i just dont like them. the performance is really poor here. there's no reason this game shouldn't run at a consistent framerate. it doesn't even look that great! there are spots here and there where the graphics look pretty good but overall nothing spectacular so i dont understand why the performance is so uneven and shitty in spots.

i'm going to finish the game and if it flat out sucked i wouldn't bother but halfway through this is feeling like a 7/10 game

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sorry, but the insta deaths are just bullshit. They do nothing to increase the quality of the game.

They make the game more authentic. We wouldn't be having half the discussions we have if it wasn't for the chainsaw man in RE4.
I guess the god hand insta-kills might be a bit much, but they still exist for a good reason.

So how much green gel did you guys farm in ch7 at
the keeper boss fight, he goes down in 2 harpoons and gives you 1,000 gel, and you can easily disable his traps to make more harpoons, I think I got 20k so far, just running around in circles

I just assumed his traps were a worst possible situation when you ran out of ammo. I ignored them quite a bit

Gator86

The traps kinda have to be instakills (there is no other conclusion from being spit by a wall of spikes), but it's the deaths outside them that bug me, especially from the bosses.

Agreed. I never felt the traps were unfair. There was one that killed me that I never figured out how it was even activated. Aside from that, I enjoyed them a fair amount because they keep you on your toes.
Chapter 9 was just a low point in the game for me though. Fucking Ruvik.

Lucent

They make the game more authentic. We wouldn't be having half the discussions we have if it wasn't for the chainsaw man in RE4.
I guess the god hand insta-kills might be a bit much, but they still exist for a good reason.

They don't bother me because it makes the bosses something I want to avoid like I would IRL. Lol just my take on it.

I find a lot of the normal enemies to be really quite alarming. I was doing the Ch.9 sort-of-a-boss encounter, and whenever it threw a Haunted at me they'd just be walking slowly towards me, mouths hanging open unnaturally wide, stuff jutting out of their heads. The way you shoot and it takes a chunk out of their skull but they barely react gives me the fucking willies.

Lucent

I find a lot of the normal enemies to be really quite alarming. I was doing the Ch.9 sort-of-a-boss encounter, and whenever it threw a Haunted at me they'd just be walking slowly towards me, mouths hanging open unnaturally wide, stuff jutting out of their heads. The way you shoot and it takes a chunk out of their skull but they barely react gives me the fucking willies.

Yep. And they actually make you think about what you're going to do. In RE4-6 you could just be like "I'm gonna pop them in the head/leg and go in for a melee and that's that!" But here you can sorta do that but with a match. And those are limited. You can strategically light one with others around you and get several, but yeah takes more skill and on the fly planning.

Honestly the best normal enemies I've seen yet though.

GravyButt

Has anyone successfully gotten an enemy to walk into a bear trap? Im kind of curious what happens. Or if you shoot one in the kneecaps and they fall right into it, the gore could potentially be awesome.

DukeBobby

My chapter rankings:

Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 5
Chapter 3
Chapter 7
Chapter 15
Chapter 14
Chapter 13
Chapter 4
Chapter 2
Chapter 8
Chapter 1
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Screw 11 & 12. Couldn't stand them. The only part I enjoyed in 11 was
the warehouse with the flammable gas

I didn't find the
two ogre things that hard. I mean I died a few times but in the end I mostly used a few arrow types and a couple grenades. And the spider girl you didn't have to kill her. That was something you could escape. Was nice they gave you a choice. The end boss could've been ammo heavy but I guess I got lucky when I finally beat him. Really been doing my best to conserve ammo in any way I can think of, even if it takes a few deaths to figure out a strategy.

I guess even when I keep dying in the game I never felt like it was a slog. I enjoy the atmosphere, environments, enemies, and situations most of the time so I guess I'm so into it even dying doesn't get to me.
Concerning chapter 11's overrated-ness

I didn't find the ogres hard. I fired four explosive bolts and made them chase me and they died after a few more hits. Laura on the other hand would continuously kill me in the last area because I had next to zero health and I didn't know you could merely escape, since the door takes so long to open after you hit the switch which is guarded by the worst bomb placement in history. Then I would redo the whole multi level chase over and over to get back to there. The end boss actually ended up being easier than I thought as well, but I was pissed off by this point.

So I'm not complaining about the difficulty in the end, I'm more speaking about the feeling that this level doesn't contain anything that new or different to inspire all of the "best level evar" praise in my opinion.

rrc1594

My chapter rankings:

Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 9
Chapter 5
Chapter 3
Chapter 7
Chapter 15
Chapter 14
Chapter 13
Chapter 4
Chapter 2
Chapter 8
Chapter 1
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Screw 11 & 12. Couldn't stand them. The only part I enjoyed in 11 was
the warehouse with the flammable gas

FIFY

Has anyone successfully gotten an enemy to walk into a bear trap? Im kind of curious what happens. Or if you shoot one in the kneecaps and they fall right into it, the gore could potentially be awesome.

I have lured one to walk into one, but it just grabbed his foot and trapped him in place for a bit. It would have been useful in lining up a shot but I just ran up and used my axe on him. Perhaps in that state they can be stealth killed (even if aware of you)? I have to experiment more.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Just finished chapter 6 and had to stop. There is only so much random stupidity I can take.

Is this all at some point starting to make sense or what? Like, I don't get it. I mean, it's all good to make the storyline mysterious and whatnot but so far this is just a collection of random setpieces, in random areas with random enemies and bland characters that don't even give a shit about that shit is getting real around them. What the fuck is this?

Considering that I'm constantly fighting with the effin horrible controls (and this is coming from someone who loves the old REs!) and the camera, this game is making it really difficult for me to stay motivated.

I really tried HARD to like this game (even restarted it this weekend) but I just can't. This is by far the worst game I've played in a long time. My brain does not comprehend that this game is directed by the same man that gave me my most favourite games of all time.

I'm going to finish this game no matter what but I really got to say that TEW is the biggest let down of my gaming life. Breaks my hear.

I was just about to ask if it was worth the buy on the PS4 ... thanks for saving me some dosh.

Lucent

Concerning chapter 11's overrated-ness

I didn't find the ogres hard. I fired four explosive bolts and made them chase me and they died after a few more hits. Laura on the other hand would continuously kill me in the last area because I had next to zero health and I didn't know you could merely escape, since the door takes so long to open after you hit the switch which is guarded by the worst bomb placement in history. Then I would redo the whole multi level chase over and over to get back to there. The end boss actually ended up being easier than I thought as well, but I was pissed off by this point.

So I'm not complaining about the difficulty in the end, I'm more speaking about the feeling that this level doesn't contain anything that new or different to inspire all
of the "best level evar" praise in my opinion.

I feel 10 was awesome simply because of how you go through so much and contains like 3 different kinds of situations thst keep you on your toes.

ryan13ts

The insta kills didn't bother me in concept but the stupidly slow load times turns them into a chore.

God, I can't believe I almost forgot about the terrible load times. Dying over and over again from one hit kills, then having to wait another minute just to load is absurd. I have no idea what Mikami and co were thinking in this area, having so many things that can insta kill you and then having to go through that loading period over and over.

That combo really drags the game down in parts.

KyleCross

As long as I don't fuck up, I think I could get infinite gel.

Can you really? Won't the balance still eventually result in you running out of harpoons?
Or does the delay between The Keeper respawning give you enough time to disable a lot of traps? It doesn't seem like much time to me.

antitrop

Can you really? Won't the balance still eventually result in you running out of harpoons?
Or does the delay between The Keeper respawning give you enough time to disable a lot of traps? It doesn't seem like much time to me.

It's more than enough time, you can get 2-3 before he comes back. I'm at 30k now, I died by accident at 25k before lol. Think I'll call it good at 35k.

Gator86

Holy shit, chapter 13.
What is the deal with the green razor disc things? The entire area is based on the premise the main character is too dumb to climb over a counter and is forced to run around everything. A survival horror game shouldn't make me laugh this hard this frequently.

Holy shit, chapter 13.
What is the deal with the green razor disc things? The entire area is based on the premise the main character is too dumb to climb over a counter and is forced to run around everything. A survival horror game shouldn't make me laugh this hard this frequently.

What survival horror games you playing? They all have done questionable moments like that. Why can't I.blast a door down with my shotgun, etc. It's a game.

Gator86

What survival horror games you playing? They all have done questionable moments like that. Why can't I.blast a door down with my shotgun, etc. It's a game.

Relax. I'm genuinely amused by it. Obviously, most things in games require some suspension of belief but there are some points in this that are just hilarious.

HeelPower

Jesus...This part of the game...omg.Very annoying lol

eYGw75Z.jpg

Again, what do you do in Ch 4 when
the phantom zombie keeps appearing and grabbing and disappearing
when you're in the basement with the doctor and Lesley???

Top Bottom