• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm really sorry for a post like this because I detest "Sell me on..." threads but I was a part of the hype thread leading up to release but Driveclub sort of got in the way of me picking TEW in the end.

To give you a brief reply:

I was hoping for TEW to have nice amounts of exploration, as in it feels like you're discovering something new as you press on through the game - I would say this is a 50/50, the game is very linear but your driven to push on to find out what exactly is going on

I was looking forward to horror that was influenced by Western and Eastern films/sources - It certainly delivers on this front

I liked the talk of puzzles and how they scale on difficulty. - I have only played on default difficulty but this doesn't seem to be the case in any significant way

I wasn't sure on the 'Outlast'-ish encounters with the bosses or how well the shooting fit in to the game. - Imo they gel very well, sometimes you can shoot and sometimes you must run.

Bl@de

Survived

Time: 15h 11min
Deaths: 65

Verdict:
Oprah_relaxin.gif

Maybe I'll write a short review some time. But I'm quite sure my score will be hovering around 9/10

When spoiler culture has gotten to the point where even saying there's a boss at the end of the chapter offends people, you need to get off the damn internet. That's on you. Newsflash: People are gonna talk about the damn game in the OT. If you can't even discuss enemies or weapons without posts lookin' like a top secret CIA document, then something is wrong.

When spoiler culture has gotten to the point where even saying there's a boss at the end of the chapter offends people, you need to get off the damn internet. That's on you. Newsflash: People are gonna talk about the damn game in the OT. If you can't even discuss enemies or weapons without posts lookin' like a top secret CIA document, then something is wrong.

We have spoiler tags for that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I actually agree. Theres spoilers and then theres spoilers, I remember people being pissed at spoilers about special moves in fighting games...like what? o_O

anyway, start of chapter
, again no health, and only 1 syringe :(

We have spoiler tags for that.

Guys said "spoilers for chapter 5 boss", marked it appropriately, "OH THANKS ASSHOLE NOW I KNOW THERE'S A BOSS ON CHAPTER 5 GAME RUINED ;_;"

like, are you fuckin' serious? If you can't even handle knowing some basic information like that, why are you even here?

Gurish

Think about me finishing the game first, even theoretically before it got out (like Slasher here), you don't mind me starting to shout here "Oh man that boss at the end of chapter X was crazy!" although you barely just started the game or even worse, you are at the exact same episode a moment before the encounter?

I don't know what about you but this is a spoiler, regardless of what you think.

cerulily

I feel like such a scrub. After beating the game in good time with lowish deaths. And extensively watching Akumu streams. I am stuck on only chapter 2 akumu. this is going to be hellish

addyb

Well just finished chapter 5 and started chapter 6. Maybe it's just me but I can't see where these performance issues are. I'm on the ps4 version and haven't noticed any frame rate hits or that the black borders bother me at all. In fact I don't notice them at all. I'm just loving this game. I've enjoyed every chapter so far and maybe I'm too engrossed in the game to notice some of the issues others have. Mordor was my goty so far but only a third of the way in this has surpassed it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I feel like such a scrub. After beating the game in good time with lowish deaths. And extensively watching Akumu streams. I am stuck on only chapter 2 akumu. this is going to be hellish

What's the main difference on that difficulty?

Auctopus

It has frame rate issues, sometimes refuses to load your game causing a restart, and the beginning can be hard as hell due to there being no hand holding. That being said, I can't stop playing. It frustrates me like Dark Souls would with all the deaths, but it gives you that amazing high when you finally get it. There's also moments of tension that'll have you holding your breath until you narrowly escape certain death.

I say buy it, but be prepared to dedicate yourself to fully enjoy it.

To give you a brief reply:

I was hoping for TEW to have nice amounts of exploration, as in it feels like you're discovering something new as you press on through the game - I would say this is a 50/50, the game is very linear but your driven to push on to find out what exactly is going on

I was looking forward to horror that was influenced by Western and Eastern films/sources - It certainly delivers on this front

I liked the talk of puzzles and how they scale on difficulty. - I have only played on default difficulty but this doesn't seem to be the case in any significant way

I wasn't sure on the 'Outlast'-ish encounters with the bosses or how well the shooting fit in to the game. - Imo they gel very well, sometimes you can shoot and sometimes you must run.

Thanks for the feedback, it's sounding good!

the game is to Resident Evil (especially 4/5) what Dark Souls was to Demons souls, especially after chapter
more or less

That is an incredibly flattering comment as I see Dark Souls as an improvement over DeS in nearly every way, haha.

Shauni

Well just finished chapter 5 and started chapter 6. Maybe it's just me but I can't see where these performance issues are. I'm on the ps4 version and haven't noticed any frame rate hits or that the black borders bother me at all. In fact I don't notice them at all. I'm just loving this game. I've enjoyed every chapter so far and maybe I'm too engrossed in the game to notice some of the issues others have. Mordor was my goty so far but only a third of the way in this has surpassed it.

I'm on the Xbox One, but I had the same feeling as you. Reading those the review thread for this, where people seemed to be talking about how the performance was awful, was surreal to me. I would've sworn that I was playing a different game than everyone else there.

Sanctuary

Well what the fuck? I just completed my second run and collected all of the map fragments, yet it never saved the last one. How are you supposed to get the achievement and
unlock
if it's not being counted after a completion? I replayed the game on
NG+
to go back and get what I was missing. Are you supposed to
collect ALL of the map fragments on a single, non NG+ run or something?

Fuck it, I'll care about that later I guess. Time for Akumu.

Markitron

I'm on the Xbox One, but I had the same feeling as you. Reading those the review thread for this, where people seemed to be talking about how the performance was awful, was surreal to me. I would've sworn that I was playing a different game than everyone else there.

I said something similar earlier in the thread, it has been blown out of proportion, you would swear it's the PS3 version of Bayonetta or something. The black bars are a massive pain in the tit's though, and I'm sick of them being attached to the word 'cinematic'. It's not cinematic, it's poor optimisation.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That is an incredibly flattering comment as I see Dark Souls as an improvement over DeS in nearly every way, haha.

more in the sense that this might aswell be a new RE, like i said especially a third of the way through

addyb

chapter 5 boss was great. Really freaky and came unstuck a couple of Times when she changed direction on me. Oh and I hated those invisible enemies in chapter 4. Please tell me I don't have to encounter them again

Indeed mate. To be honest I don't really take no notice. If a game looks good to me I'll buy it. I do seriously wonder where these issues come from. I've not noticed anything with my eyes or had something happen that's effected the gameplay in some way.

The only minor gripes I have is the story is a bit of mind games. No idea what's going on and the voice acting is pretty lame. I guess if you treat it as old school it's not that bad.

Was the last game you played Assassins Creed 3 or what?

Ateron

Think about me finishing the game first, even theoretically before it got out (like Slasher here), you don't mind me starting to shout here "Oh man that boss at the end of chapter X was crazy!" although you barely just started the game or even worse, you are at the exact same episode a moment before the encounter?

I don't know what about you but this is a spoiler, regardless of what you think.

Yeah, I agree. I kept hearing good things about a certain chapter here, how it was more intense than the rest, and you really had to conserve ammo, so I was already preparing for it without even knowing what it was. And cause of that, it was a cakewalk. So I don't know. Sometimes even the most innocent of posts can give away something, an enemy, a strategy, a hidden item, that can potentially alter your experience. I'm somewhat good at these kinds of games so I'm not exactly strapped for items but it doesn't help when someone says "oh shit the boss on chapter X,Y,Z is so fucking strong, be sure to bring (insert ammo type here). It ruins the surprise.

Wow. I've played a little bit (got game through gamefly) and I must say this is one of the most unique Triple A games I have ever played. The atmosphere is incredible and the use of psychological horror is really something else. I'm only on Chapter 3, and I really am enjoying this. The graphics during cut scenes are not good but when you get back in game they are actually very good and very polished. Barely any jaggies what so ever. I also like the parts with the film grain and the reddish tints. The filters are just all around really interesting. If you have any concerns about the game being to western then I would have to say stop worrying. The game so far highly focuses on psychological fear and I love it!

addyb

Was the last game you played Assassins Creed 3 or what?

Nope don't like those games. I'm being serious and not trying to defend the game in anyway but I'm not noticing any issues. I'm not saying there isn't any but I'm that zoned in when I'm playing it I honestly can't tell.

I feel that the game is kinda ruined for me, I'm having a blast up until now (currently at chapter 5) but because people wrote freely bosses information right at the top of their posts without using the spoiler tag I now know there are bosses in chapter
5, 6, 7, 14, I also know that i will meet Joseph soon and have a mission with him cause someone wrote that as well
and that kind of ruins the moment for me :(

I really hope there are more surprises left for me.

There is surprises in store but I apologize if I was apart of said spoiler group. Sometimes folks get excited and forget that there are people not playing or early in the game. I'll be.sure to spoiler tag anything of that nature. Hope you're enjoying the game still regardless.

Turning AA back to FXAA and going to NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> click on default settings has more or less solved the random CTD for me. Really weird crashes I must say.

Rhaknar

last chapter spoilers

fighting 2 box heads at the same time...because thats fun >_>

edit: I have no health, no syringes,
no shotgun ammo, no explosive bolts
after that...am I fucked?

So um did Chapter 7 remind anyone of Resident Evil 6? Specifically
Ada's catacombs chapter
, down to all the traps and the enemy sounds, I thought I was having deja vu

On the last(??) boss of Chapter 10, and from all I've heard of Chapter 11, I'm not sure if I should be excited or dreadful lol

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, I agree. I kept hearing good things about a certain chapter here, how it was more intense than the rest, and you really had to conserve ammo, so I was already preparing for it without even knowing what it was. And cause of that, it was a cakewalk. So I don't know. Sometimes even the most innocent of posts can give away something, an enemy, a strategy, a hidden item, that can potentially alter your experience. I'm somewhat good at these kinds of games so I'm not exactly strapped for items but it doesn't help when someone says "oh shit the boss on chapter X,Y,Z is so fucking strong, be sure to bring (insert ammo type here). It ruins the surprise.

So get off the internet. What do you expect people to be talking about in a thread about the game? Spoiler tags only go so far and they've been employed heavily in this thread. If you literally want entire posts to be blocked out then how is anyone supposed to know whether they should read them? An intelligent person can make inferences from any little amount of info so there is simply no way to conduct a conversation without revealing *something*.

Whatever information you are coming here to read might be considered a spoiler by someone else. It's not feasible to appease everyone's personal spoiler quirks so the only solution is for those very sensitive people to use some willpower and avoid discussion until they are ready.

Sometimes even the most innocent of posts can give away something, an enemy, a strategy, a hidden item, that can potentially alter your experience.

If you're really that concerned, its really gotta be on you to leave the thread. People are gonna talk about the game in the official topic, that's the bottom line.

Its gotten to the point that even saying stage # is intense/cool/awesome is a fuckin' spoiler to some people. Not anything more specific than that, just that general basic description that could be used on any video game...something has to give here.

Gurish

There is surprises in store but I apologize if I was apart of said spoiler group. Sometimes folks get excited and forget that there are people not playing or early in the game. I'll be.sure to spoiler tag anything of that nature. Hope you're enjoying the game still regardless.

I don't know if you were part of that, as there were so many i can't point anyone specific, but you personally didn't ruin me anything, don't know if because i missed your posts or because you used spoiler tag :p

And yea I'm having a blast, your hyping wasn't for nothing :p
It is one of the best survival horror games in my opinion up until this moment, combat feels intense and I'm not a super hero like Leon in RE4, I think there is a big a chance this game will prove superior to RE4 for me, the only major thing that is missing is polish.

I'm sure that if Mikami had the best technology and technical crew like he used to have during his Capcom days, this game would be considered a masterpiece by most people and it could be the Survival horror comeback everybody was looking for, that's a little shame but regardless, for me it's awesome.

Is it just me or
did the part where you have to fight the two Keepers (Safe Head) remind anyone of Silent Hill 2 where you have to fight the two Pyramid Heads? Both sections being very close to the end of the game as well.

Gurish

So get off the internet. What do you expect people to be talking about in a thread about the game? Spoiler tags only go so far and they've been employed heavily in this thread. If you literally want entire posts to be blocked out then how is anyone supposed to know whether they should read them? An intelligent person can make inferences from any little amount of info so there is simply no way to conduct a conversation without revealing *something*.

Whatever information you are coming here to read might be considered a spoiler by someone else. It's not feasible to appease everyone's personal spoiler quirks so the only solution is for those very sensitive people to use some willpower and avoid discussion until they are ready.

Why is it so hard for example to write "Chapter
Boss is crazy!

Or you can say "I'm at chapter 5,
damn, that boss is crazy!

Just don't get into specifics, you can write general impression like this game is awesome and i really enjoyed chapter 3, but anything specific like bosses, enemies and weapons should be blocked and people can choose if they want to read it or not, it's really not that hard.

Is it just me or
did the part where you have to fight the two Keepers (Safe Head) remind anyone of Silent Hill 2 where you have to fight the two Pyramid Heads? Both sections being very close to the end of the game as well.

With all the SH vibes this game gives out, I am pretty sure it's an homage. Did you finish the game?

nbthedude

I'm really sorry for a post like this because I detest "Sell me on..." threads but I was a part of the hype thread leading up to release but Driveclub sort of got in the way of me picking TEW in the end.

I was hoping for TEW to have nice amounts of exploration, as in it feels like you're discovering something new as you press on through the game. I was looking forward to horror that was influenced by Western and Eastern films/sources, I liked the talk of puzzles and how they scale on difficulty. I wasn't sure on the 'Outlast'-ish encounters with the bosses or how well the shooting fit in to the game.

Could a kind Gaffer tell me their impressions or whether the game delivered on my hopes? I've read reviews but a lot of them felt a bit skimpy.

There is definitely "discovery" in the sense of the narrative starts to fit together in kind of interesting ways but it isn't exactly a linear narrative in the traditional sense. The chapters are often way more segmented than a typical break in Resident Evil. However, it uses this as an opportunity to really do some different things in many of the chapters; they often have their own tone and feel and even gameplay style. It's sometimes a stealth game, sometimes an Outlast-ish run scared game, sometimes an all out action game, sometimes a more atmospheric tension building horror game, sometimes a puzzle game, etc.

There is still the rewarded exploration in the sense that there are classic RE4-5 style secrets that unlock better gear if you locate them.

Really I think all you need to ask yourself is this: Did you like RE4? Did you like both it's gunplay and it's quirkyness? Cause this is kind of like RE4 if RE4 were allowed to be more "indie" and experimental. It may not be as polished around the edges to the same degree, but I think it makes up for it in it's uniqueness. There is a bit more jank here than there is in classic RE4 style game, but nothing that's not easily overcomeable.

If you have the option, play on PC for better framerate and to get rid of the letter box. It's beautiful. If not though, it's not the kind of game that a few dips will ruin the experience. This isn't an all out action game. The pace is more akin to RE4.

Ateron

If you're really that concerned, its really gotta be on you to leave the thread. People are gonna talk about the game in the official topic, that's the bottom line.

Its gotten to the point that even saying stage # is intense/cool/awesome is a fuckin' spoiler to some people. Not anything more specific than that, just that general basic description that could be used on any video game...something has to give here.

There are spoiler tags for that shit, and a spoiler thread too. If you guys wanna ruin the game for somebody, do it somewhere else. Just the other day on a tech thread I had some idiot spoil a certain very important scene in Left Behind, and the damn thread didn't have anything to do with TLoU. I'm not one of the affected here, so I don't have to leave anything, thank you. There have been images and gifs of certain enemies in here that shouldn't be. And some descriptions of some bosses that really spell out what they are. I'm in a "safe thread", I shouldn´t have to read it with one eye open, squinting so not to see shit I'm not supposed to see. Wanna talk spoilers, do it in the spoiler thread.

And again, I'm not being spoiled, but mostly because I'm almost at the end of chp. 12. A lot of shit has been semi-spoiled here, luckily I was too busy playing the game instead of talking about it, so by the time I read those posts I had already gone past said chapters.

You guys accuse me (and others) of being oversensitive? Is it really outlandish for people asking not to get spoiled on bosses and enemy types? I don't need to know that in the middle part of chapter x,y,z there will be a huge wave of enemies weak to A,B and C. Is that a huge spoiler? No, there are enemies throughout, but if that allows me to prepare in advance (like it happened against
---------laura-------and laura again----where I thought I had no other way but to run, but you can actually kill her again
then it will ruin the experience. I already knew what to look for and how to prepare the fight. It's like having a dude next to me saying: don't worry, he won't jump through the window, but when the character turns around it will show up, so prepare for that. It ruins the tension if you already know what to expect and how to prepare, even if you don't fucking spell out the name of the boss/enemy.

Well then if you go to
the model viewer. You can see that The Keeper has a reason for him existing in that world. It is a blend of Ruvik's final memories before he was dismembered and his fury at having his research stolen from his safe. Anyone who approaches the safe is killed and their severed head added to those in the sack, which is what he hits you with lmao. The whole model viewer has information about almost everything that exists within the game's world, which is pretty dope.

nbthedude

more in the sense that this might aswell be a new RE, like i said especially a third of the way through

I think the comparison doesn't really work because Dark Souls is in many ways a polished refinement of Demon Souls. I wouldn't reallys ay Evil Within is a "more polished" Resident Evil 4. Instead it's a more experimental Resident Evil 4.

It definitely has many very very similar mechanics, level design philosophies, and a lot of call backs to Resident Evil 4 (hell, even the way you discover items gives and many of the animations give me RE4 nostalgia tinges), but at the same time it's a lot rougher around the edges but goes out on more limbs to be more experimental.

That's a trade off, I personally like. You get a game that's a lot rougher around the edges and more janky, but you also get a game that you never really know where it's going to take you next and is far more intimidating (and dare I say interesting) as a result.

antitrop

I'm with you.

I go out of my way to try to be courteous, but sometimes in these kind of threads you feel like you just shouldn't talk about anything, because someone will complain that it's a spoiler.

DSmalls84

Into chapter 14 now. 11/12 were probably some of the weaker chapters in the game but still solid.
getting to the ambulance with almost no ammo was pretty tense.
hopefully I will finish the game tonight. Really enjoyed the atmosphere/combat up to this point though.

nbthedude

I don't think anyone ever answered my question earlier:

Is there a way to replay previous chapters to find secrets/accumulate ammo? I figure I'd lose my current autosave in a chapter, but I'm fine with starting at the beginning of my current chapter as long as I could come back to it.

If it doesn't allow for that, that does seem like an oversight as all the previous RE games let you do that.

DukeBobby

I don't think anyone ever answered my question earlier:

Is there a way to replay previous chapters to find secrets/accumulate ammo? I figure I'd lose my current autosave in a chapter, but I'm fine with starting at the beginning of my current chapter as long as I could come back to it.

If it doesn't allow for that, that does seem like an oversight as all the previous RE games let you do that.

You can replay chapters in NG+

nbthedude

You can replay chapters in NG+

Well that doesn't help me since I'm in Chapter 7. :)

I guess I'll just push onward. Now that I have a better idea what the secrets are, I was hoping to go backwards and explore a bit. I didn't realize early on that those statue things contained keys. And I know specifically where I saw some that I missed in earlier chapters.

I'm with you.

I go out of my way to try to be courteous, but sometimes in these kind of threads you feel like you just shouldn't talk about anything, because someone will complain that it's a spoiler.

The way I see it, there are literally BILLIONS of places on the internet you can be, right now, where the chances are being "spoiled"(whatever the fuck that means on a person to person basis) are relatively low. Instead, you chose to come here, to NeoGAF.com, clicked on the Official Thread of the Game You Don't Want Spoiled, and then get mad when people talk about the Game You Don't Want Spoiled in the Official Thread.

At some point, the responsibility has got to fall on you to wise the hell up. Its like the people who go into threads to talk about how they're on media blackout, no spoilers for the trailers guys. Uh, hello? Don't click on the fuckin' trailer thread, friend, cuz chances are they're gonna be talking about the trailer in the trailer thread. If you serious about a media blackout, you wouldn't even think twice about clicking that link and reading those posts.

Ateron

I'm with you.

How about: There's an enemy in chp. z, use flash and stab. For the boss, it's weak against X and Y.

Some people like to be left in the dark on somethings. Some like to figure shit out on their own. It's not about revealing there's a boss somewhere down the line - that much is expected- it's revealing how you kill it very fast, thus ruining the tension and the feeling of discovering it for yourself. You're casually reading some impressions on the performance, pacing and very early level design and suddenly someone warns about the fuckery that is boss in chap. H, and how you're screwed with a certain kind of ammo, which makes you plan accordingly and react without any tension cause you already know you're good. That is a spoiler.
I didn't have any trouble dealing with the fucking invisible enemies because someone here said: use flash and stealth kill. So I did and it was a cakewalk. No more staring at puddles or watching the trajectory line of my harpoon bolt. It severly lessened the tension.

nbthedude

There are spoiler tags for that shit, and a spoiler thread too. If you guys wanna ruin the game for somebody, do it somewhere else. Just the other day on a tech thread I had some idiot spoil a certain very important scene in Left Behind, and the damn thread didn't have anything to do with TLoU. I'm not one of the affected here, so I don't have to leave anything, thank you. There have been images and gifs of certain enemies in here that shouldn't be. And some descriptions of some bosses that really spell out what they are. I'm in a "safe thread", I shouldn´t have to read it with one eye open, squinting so not to see shit I'm not supposed to see. Wanna talk spoilers, do it in the spoiler thread.

And again, I'm not being spoiled, but mostly because I'm almost at the end of chp. 12. A lot of shit has been semi-spoiled here, luckily I was too busy playing the game instead of talking about it, so by the time I read those posts I had already gone past said chapters.

You guys accuse me (and others) of being oversensitive? Is it really outlandish for people asking not to get spoiled on bosses and enemy types? I don't need to know that in the middle part of chapter x,y,z there will be a huge wave of enemies weak to A,B and C. Is that a huge spoiler? No, there are enemies throughout, but if that allows me to prepare in advance (like it happened against
---------laura-------and laura again----where I thought I had no other way but to run, but you can actually kill her again
then it will ruin the experience. I already knew what to look for and how to prepare the fight. It's like having a dude next to me saying: don't worry, he won't jump through the window, but when the character turns around it will show up, so prepare for that. It ruins the tension if you already know what to expect and how to prepare, even if you don't fucking spell out the name of the boss/enemy.

I'm in the middle on this one.

On one hand, a thread becomes totally useless if there are just spoiler tags every where, especially if people don't label what chapter/section they apply to.

On the other, I think in this particular genre more than any other, the fear of the unknown is kind of important to the tension.

In an ideal world, people would start their posts by mentioning where they are in the game. Otherwise I don't know whether or not that spoiler tag applies to me and it ends up being worse than if you wouldn't have spoilered it because it draws attention to that specific thing which I very well may have skimmed over or missed entirely if it wasn't spoilered, drawing attention to it.

Actually, your post is an example. I didn't know what part of the game you were "spoiling" so when I clicked on it, I actually did have something kind of ruined for me, but it was a minor thing because I just glanced at it rather than read it thoroughly. Had you indicated which part fo the game you were talking about, I would never have clicked that spoiler.

Ateron

The way I see it, there are literally BILLIONS of places on the internet you can be, right now, where the chances are being "spoiled"(whatever the fuck that means on a person to person basis) are relatively low. Instead, you chose to come here, to NeoGAF.com, clicked on the Official Thread of the Game You Don't Want Spoiled, and then get mad when people talk about the Game You Don't Want Spoiled in the Official Thread.

At some point, the responsibility has got to fall on you to wise the hell up.

Again, wanna talk spoilers, do it in the appropriate thread. Dismiss criticisms by not even addressing them isn't a proper way to discuss something, btw.

I'm in the middle on this one.

On one hand, a thread becomes totally useless if there are just spoiler tags every where, especially if people don't label what chapter/section they apply to.

On the other, I think in this particular genre more than any other, the fear of the unknown is kind of important to the tension.

In an ideal world, people would start their posts by mentioning where they are in the game. Otherwise I don't know whether or not that spoiler tag applies to me and it ends up being worse than if you wouldn't have spoilered it because it draws attention to that specific thing which I very well may have skimmed over or missed entirely if it wasn't spoilered, drawing attention to it.

Yeah man, I'm only being this way because this game lives and dies by the tension it brings. If someone warns me, inadvertently that I should bring A,B and C ammo for the Chp. Y boss, then it won't stress me out when I get there and get surprised the fucker is not flinching at my shotgun, and I was supposed to use a certain type of bolt. You won't see me cry foul on someone spoiling a Devil May Cry game (unless it's something huge like vergil returning in 5, and being playable to boot). Those games live mostly on the gameplay. This game too, but I feel the emphasis is 50/50 on the action/story and tension. When I already know that some mean fucker is hard as fuck but weak against this and that, I get to acquire this and that and whack him in 3 blows, thus destroying any tension the encounter could have brought. If some of this was spoiler tagged, no biggie. But many times people don't even bother. Again, I'm almost at the end now so it doesn't affect me. Just saying I relate to those who felt spoiled before.

antitrop

How about: There's an enemy in chp. z, use flash and stab. For the boss, it's weak against X and Y.

Some people like to be left in the dark on somethings. Some like to figure shit out on their own. It's not about revealing there's a boss somewhere down the line - that much is expected- it's revealing how you kill it very fast, thus ruining the tension and the feeling of discovering it for yourself. You're casually reading some impressions on the performance, pacing and very early level design and suddenly someone warns about the fuckery that is boss in chap. H, and how you're screwed with a certain kind of ammo, which makes you plan accordingly and react without any tension cause you already know you're good. That is a spoiler.
I didn't have any trouble dealing with the fucking invisible enemies because someone here said: use flash and stealth kill. So I did and it was a cakewalk. No more staring at puddles or watching the trajectory line of my harpoon bolt. It severly lessened the tension.
I get you, I'll try to be a bit more careful about that, myself.

Well then if you go to
the model viewer. You can see that The Keeper has a reason for him existing in that world. It is a blend of Ruvik's final memories before he was dismembered and his fury at having his research stolen from his safe. Anyone who approaches the safe is killed and their severed head added to those in the sack, which is what he hits you with lmao. The whole model viewer has information about almost everything that exists within the game's world, which is pretty dope.

Oh wow I didn't know that. I only read
the first couple of descriptions for the models which were just the main characters, didn't go down to read the latter. I'll check it out now.

Rhaknar

and finished. 15 hours 65 deaths, although as usual, games dont take into account your deaths when counting hours, so its a bit more. Steam says 19, so its somewhere in between I guess

Last chapter spoilers:

Rocket launcher against final boss huh Mikami?

413.gif

anyway, bizarre story / ending aside, I loved the game and will most likely get the season pass. Also,
Kidman = Ada, Mikami isnt very original is he
:)

Nemesis_

Is it just me or

If you ever decide to pick up the Artbook, it's a good read. I'm trying not to read too much but they pretty much flat out say that that character was an inspiration for the design of the Keeper.

Anyway, finished Chapter 5. Nice to finally get some time with the game, did a full run from Chapter 3 onwards. NIce and lengthy. Nice and tense. The penultimate battle of the chapter,
where you had to take down Laura was pretty fun. I like boss battles that don't just suck up your ammo. But once I worked out I could just camp on top of the body she's about to spawn on, it became a little bit too lax. I do wonder if that's the last we see of her. I'd be happy if someone told me with a simple yes or no.

As for the end of that chapter, it's a very simple and yet visually striking sequence. That's actually something I really like about this game. The setpieces and the way everything is presented is grounded in the macabre and the stereotypical but somehow still so distinct and unique to this game. The idea of
ripping those brain stems out of the enemies
was great. I'm wondering if it was symbolic considering what came after.

Special props to
Laura's entrance too. Really well done and a real oh fuck moment for me
. I even tweeted my reaction

And while instakill is kind of a downer, I don't feel like the game has cheated me at all either. I hate when people call games cheap (ie. this and Alien) when you've really just got to understand the rules / mechanics governing the game and literally play it. Not every game has to be streamlined to the point of mind numbing.

The puzzle that involved the three rooms was fantastic too -
the way the bodies were never shown to the player, but instantly silenced when you spiked them was just so chilling. A perfect Silent Hill moment that none of the previous game have managed to capture, including P.T. - I especially loved how the answer was simple but the puzzle didn't treat you like an idiot

Top Bottom