• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

So far, the game hasn't been cheap. I get just enough resources and a bit of luck to barely get past these levels.

It's challenging for sure though. Playing on survival.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the most annoying thing about Akumu would be when people swing around on the ground and knick me when I try to light a match.

If I didn't have to fiddle with the camera to drop the match these guys would be fucked.

Lucent

Huh. I'll do Nightmare difficulty eventually then. Akumu?....*deep breath* I'm good.

lol. Yeah I can already see how Akumu would be hard as hell after seeing some of these setups in the game. Can't believe we already have a couple of people who did it. The guy who did it in 10 and a half hours with 20 deaths really has me going wtf. I'm 17+ hours in and on chapter 13 on survival. =/ I guess I might go faster next time now that I know what I do now about the upgrades.

And eff
The Keeper
in Chapter 13.
He's keeping me from getting all my goodies. Afraid to sneak around him while he's doing what he's doing.

I think the most annoying thing about Akumu would be when people swing around on the ground and knick me when I try to light a match.

If I didn't have to fiddle with the camera to drop the match these guys would be fucked.

The biggest issues so far seem to be the occasional early game
Hooded Haunted
and enemies taking more than one pistol shot to the leg to knock them over. Other than that, it's just extreme positioning above all else. Gotta always be in a place with escape routes. Surprisingly, supplies haven't been much of an issue yet.

Lucent

Hah nevermind. Just had to wait for him to leave. Went and got all my goodies. But I had to sacrifice a harpoon to break the statue above for a key again because I died and the statue fixed itself even though I used a bottle on it to break it before the checkpoint. =l

I won't be doing Akumu anytime soon, but I think it's doable. Hard as hell most definitely, but the game is generally not too unfair about getting hit.

Dealing with load times with each death sounds like hardest part about it to me :lol

Bl@de

I won't be doing Akumu anytime soon, but I think it's doable. Hard as hell most definitely, but the game is generally not too unfair about getting hit.

Dealing with load times with each death sounds like hardest part about it to me :lol

Good thing that the load times are like 2-3 seconds on my PC^^ Will help in Akumu

daman824

This game is absoulutely amazing atmosphere wise. But fuck most of the bosses. I'm on chapter ten and
after a few deaths dedicated to learning the patterns I can get him to the second phase but fuck... it's like I'm having more problems with the controls and aiming than I am with the actual boss
The game is easily at its best when you're slowly exploring large areas and killing off the "lower" enemies while conserving and scavenging ammo.
Exploring ruviks house was definitely the most fun I've had in the game so far easily. Other than the times where he would seem to show up at the most random times. I melee killed an enemy only to have the screen instantly go blue and have ruvik spawn right on the enemys body and kill me in half a second before I can react.
Overall I feel that the best boss fight so far was
Your first encounter with the keeper.
It was definitely difficulf. But it never felt unfair. No one hit kills and after you figure out what to do it actually gave you a sense of satisfaction. But stuff like
the chapter ten boss and the dog ate just cheap.

daman824

I feel like I'm the only one who really enjoyed the bosses. Except of course for
The dog.
Fuck that thing. A lot of my frustrations with the bosses stem from the fact that you can't sprint after you're health hits a certain level. I mean, I get that it's a survival horror game and stuff like that is par for the course. But I still wish you could like hobble/sprint and still speed up a little. With some of the encounters, you know you're dead once you hit that point. And it's definitely annoying.

I never really had any problems with sprinting, Dark Souls has trained me to keep an eye out for my stamina lol.

I've only used sprint for that 1-2 seconds to make a quick get away or sharp turn.

Fuck that thing. A lot of my frustrations with the bosses stem from the fact that you can't sprint after you're health hits a certain level. I mean, I get that it's a survival horror game and stuff like that is par for the course. But I still wish you could like hobble/sprint and still speed up a little. With some of the encounters, you know you're dead once you hit that point. And it's definitely annoying.

You just gotta make sure to be aware of your stamina at all times. Don't let that shit get into the red. Upgrade that shit too ASAP... It's possibly the most important thing to upgrade.

I never really had any problems with sprinting, Dark Souls has trained me to keep an eye out for my stamina lol.

I've only used sprint for that 1-2 seconds to make a quick get away or sharp turn.

This haha.

Bl@de

Haha yeah Dark Souls did that for me too. Whenever shit happens I just quickturn and gtfo ... which means ... every 5min

daman824

You just gotta make sure to be aware of your stamina at all times. Don't let that shit get into the red. Upgrade that shit too ASAP... It's possibly the most important thing to upgrade.

This haha.
No. My stamina is upgraded quite a bit. I'm talking about how you can't sprint at all after your health bar gets low enough and sebastian starts limping. If my health falls to that point in the majority of boss fights I just give up because some of the boss fights seem made with sprinting in mind. And without it, you're just going to get hit/one hit killed.

Lucent

I think he's talking about his health getting so low that sprinting isn't something he can do at all. All you can do is limp when you go below that line of health.

Dmax3901

Just finished Chapter five. That... thing is like my worst nightmare as I'm terrified by movie creatures like The Grudge. But holy fuck did I love that boss fight. Just enough information given to not be frustrating, and just enough for me to feel like a genius when I worked it out.

Loving this game.

EDIT: Does she have a name?

HeelPower

Chapter 9
was amazing.Visually breathtaking ,great story exposition and puzzles.

Is it just me or is Chapter 10
boss incredibly,ridiculously hard
?

I don't know how you
can stand a chance if you neglected upgrading sprint to MAX level.

Duxxy3

Two more chapters left. I'll leave them for tomorrow.

The Evil Within 2 will need a lot more work on those opening levels to make them more approachable, but this series shows a lot of promise.

I remember what Resident Evil 1 felt like on the PS1. I bought a system just for that game long long ago when RE1 first came out. The Evil Within takes me back to that in a lot of ways. There are a ton of cheap deaths, some mechanics are "clunky, and the storyline isn't blowing my mind. What keeps me going is the tension, the thrill of discovery and exploration (of the area and of encounter design), and wanting to see what's around the corner.

Gurish

This topic is unbearable, no one is bothering with spoiler tagging, speaking freely about the Boss from chapter X and ruining many of us who have not reached that chapter the surprise.

I wish people would be more thoughtful, but that's not gonna happen, I'm out of here until I'll finish the game.

daman824

Sebastian will go back to normal if you sit still and let it regen to the line.
Well.... yeah. But with some bosses
the dog/ chapter ten you're fucked if you hit that point. You have not time to sit there. So you have these awkward few seconds where you know you'll be dead in a few seconds but aren't dead yet.

Chapter 9 was amazing.Visually breathtaking ,great story exposition and puzzles.

Is it just me or is Chapter 10 boss incredibly,ridiculously hard ?

I don't know how you can stand a chance if you neglected upgrading sprint to MAX level.

Snipe the eye on his tail for massive damage. Freeze bolts are your friends in this fight. You can also sneak around him if you aren't in his line of sight. There are supplies in the two rooms on both ends of the parking lot if you need any.

I had sprint at level 4 for the entire game and never had problems with running away. Level 5 seems like overkill and is too expensive for an NG run.

Bl@de

Snipe the eye on his tail for massive damage. Freeze bolts are your friends in this fight. You can also sneak around him if you aren't in his line of sight. There are supplies in the two rooms on both ends of the parking lot if you need any.

I had sprint at level 4 for the entire game and never had problems with running away. Level 5 seems like overkill and is too expensive for an NG run.

I have sprint at level 2 ... I managed ... somehow ... with my chainsmoking sebastian running for 3sec bursts

Dresden

Chapter 11 looks cool, but it's fucking terrible. So goddamn tedious.

Chapter 9 was amazing.Visually breathtaking ,great story exposition and puzzles.

Is it just me or is Chapter
10 boss incredibly,ridiculously hard
?

I don't know how you
can stand a chance if you neglected upgrading sprint to MAX level.

You don't need max sprint. Just pounded it with a flash bolt + grenades to start it off, and then went from one end of the hall to another while whittling it down with harpoons and the sniper rifle. Pulled out the freeze bolts for phase two.

HeelPower

I beat it ,but it was a nightmare.

I hate how that boss is completely psychic for fixed duration no matter what after you hit it or you are discovered

Has anyone else playing on XB1 taken a look at the Challenges for this game? There are a couple that are the typical "Kill x number of enemies before the end of the year," but then there's this one:

Halloween Party
: On October 31, 2014, everyone together has to get 1,000,000 headshots.

Should be fun to participate. I wonder if the goal will be met.

HeelPower

You don't need max sprint. Just pounded it with a flash bolt + grenades to start it off, and then went from one end of the hall to another while whittling it down with harpoons and the sniper rifle. Pulled out the freeze bolts for phase two.

You know I thought you had to
take out each individual one of its heads with a headshot

I spent so much time trying to do that..Maybe that's why I was struggling.

Eventually I gave up on that and just kept throwing stuff at it.

Still was very annoying to me.

Lucent

I'm stopping at the first save point for chapter 14 today. I'll probably finish the game tomorrow.

But here's where my resources are at the moment. I think I'm doing pretty good.

Click to see in case people don't wanna be spoiled on weapons.

Plus
4 grenades, 3 syringes, 1 first aid
on me.

And in the lockers I still haven't touched...

7 shotgun shells

15 handgun rounds

12 sniper rounds

1 syringe

On Survival and 18 hours in. I'm going slow compared to others I guess, but I'm just seeing how well I can manage my sources I guess.

Gustaf89

Banned
Just finished Chapter five. That... thing is like my worst nightmare as I'm terrified by movie creatures like The Grudge. But holy fuck did I love that boss fight. Just enough information given to not be frustrating, and just enough for me to feel like a genius when I worked it out.

Loving this game.

EDIT: Does she have a name?

yes but it is a major spoiler

Gustaf89

Banned
On Survival and 18 hours in. I'm going slow compared to others I guess, but I'm just seeing how well I can manage my sources I guess.

my first run was about 14 hours on survival.
i am now on my second run starting chapter 10 and i have about 6 hours, im going really fast this second time around but thats probably because my weapons are better now

Lucent

my first run was about 14 hours on survival.
i am now on my second run starting chapter 10 and i have about 6 hours, im going really fast this second time around but thats probably because my weapons are better now

If you're doing a New Game + that makes sense to me. I'm just going pretty slow like I did in RE1/REmake because I never want to be out of ammo for the end and then I just go all out. lol. Looking at my current stash, I probably should start having some fun with my stuff.

DVCY201

Done. 12:31:45 with 56 deaths. Despite it's shortcomings, this is one of my favourite Mikami games. But Chapter 15 is so anti-climatic. As a set-piece, it's awesome and exciting, but as an actual boss fight it's terrible. It's like they couldn't figure out a way for you to properly fight it, so they said "fuck it" and just threw it out. And then there's no memorable dialogue or exchange between Ruvik and Sebastian which is wasted potential.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised by the story. It's deeper than I thought it would be, and it clicks nicely.

All in all, 9 or so/10 for me. My gripes are mainly on the tech side, which I have a feeling is due to id Tech 5 and them not knowing what to do with it. In many ways it surpasses RE4, and in some ways it also falls short. But The Evil Within is better than RE4 in my eyes. That may change in subsequent playthroughs, but I love the creative effort put into this game.

Gustaf89

Banned
Done. 12:31:45 with 56 deaths. Despite it's shortcomings, this is one of my favourite Mikami games. But Chapter 15 is so anti-climatic. As a set-piece, it's awesome and exciting, but as an actual boss fight it's terrible. It's like they couldn't figure out a way for you to properly fight it, so they said "fuck it" and just threw it out. And then there's no memorable dialogue or exchange between Ruvik and Sebastian which is wasted potential.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised by the story. It's deeper than I thought it would be, and it clicks nicely.

All in all, 9 or so/10 for me. My gripes are mainly on the tech side, which I have a feeling is due to id Tech 5 and them not knowing what to do with it. In many ways it surpasses RE4, and in some ways it also falls short. But The Evil Within is better than RE4 in my eyes. That may change in subsequent playthroughs, but I love the creative effort put into this game.

aw man, i loved the final boss, unlike a lot of the other ones, i knew exactly what to do, with others, first i tried to learn their movements and mechanics, but i didn't figure out nothing, so i just started to throwing all at them, i mean i love when bosses are sponges but i also like when you can inflict massive demage with something, like when the plaga comes out of el gigante and you slash it repeatedly.

about the story, yeah, i'm really hoping it sells well, i want to know what the deal with
Kidman

Lucent

aw man, i loved the final boss, unlike a lot of the other ones, i knew exactly what to do, with others, first i tried to learn their movements and mechanics, but i didn't figure out nothing, so i just started to throwing all at them, i mean i love when bosses are sponges but i also like when you can inflict massive demage with something, like when the plaga comes out of el gigante and you slash it repeatedly.

about the story, yeah, i'm really hoping it sells well, i want to know what the deal with
Kidman

Well
Kidman
has
DLC coming out for her. Two DLCs with her.
Maybe we'll find out.

Gustaf89

Banned
Sebastian's
story is really depressing and sad too.so far I find that I really feel for that character.Chapter 11 so far.

the most intriguing character for me is definetely
Tatiana,my guess is that she was the first victim of
Rubik

Well
Kidman
has
DLC coming out for her. Two DLCs with her.
Maybe we'll find out.

oh, i didn't know that, looking forward to it, also i just found she is voiced by
Jennifer Carpenter
and well i loved that girl on
White Chicks

jg4xchamp

Finishing up Chapter 7 boss fight.

Gameplay is some bomb ass shit. The crossbow bolts are fun as fuck, the headshots in this game are fucking glorious, and there are fun enemy types to kill. Torches, axes being powerful one time uses are fun to use when you get them, the scarcity of the bullets adds a lot to the white knuckle action, albeit I'm a hoarder at these type of game.

I like the little things like how the environments are a bit more open, as its still very corridor stuff or shit you've seen in RE4's confined spaces, but there are traps, props, and just enough breathing room to go a couple different ways to use the environment to your advantage in combat scenarios. It makes what could be "intimidating" or if you're a bitch: "frustrating" encounters a breeze if you know what game you are playing. Get people to come to a specific spot, shoot them in the knee, hit lever, drop trap on face, marvel at your own excellence ^_^

Good amount of variety, unsettling ass atmosphere that constantly fucks with you in a way the Resident Evil games never did, and the boss encounters are pretty legit too.

multi-armed long hair lady, is actually fun as fuck, you can cheese her and just drop her in the flame pits all day, or you can fight her straight up, get her lit up, and shoot away. It kind of gave me that vertugo vibe from RE4

Keeper Spoiler going ahead, so if you aren't up to that, don't click this next spoiler

He throws his fucking head at you to respawn in the same room as you.....THAT IS SO FUCKING COOL

Some of the enemies have easy one hit kill moves, like the Chainsaw dudes and the bosses, but they are all keep away encounters that are fair as hell in terms of keeping away, except for one part. That level where you get the sniper, I kind of think that is a small ass space to fight a chainsaw dude, otherwise? none of them have been cheap.

If the complaints on the game are
-Frames per second
-It takes one too many cues from RE4
-Mechanics aren't tight enough (copy paste shadows of the damned shooting mechanics to this game and we good)
-The script/voice acting
-The fucking black bars

Okay, I'm not necessarily disagreeing. All of those could be done better, or straight up not done at all (black bars). I will say that the game still plays very well on a moment to moment level because of the variety and pacing, and that more than makes up for the lousy 30 faps (on PC, that is gross) and the iffy mechanics.

I definitely don't think the first chapter is very good, but once it picks up as an action horror game in the vein of RE4, Dead Space, or old school Resident Evil games, it's fucking legit. I'm not far enough to say if the game doesn't throw something super cheap at you, but if some of the "cheap" segments to some people were the bosses or the encounters where you have to shoot your way through, you know what they are entitled to their opinion.

I'm of the opinion, that its a bitch complaint. Not to say I'm not dying a lot, I am (though some of it is because I want to do an area perfect so I get myself killed), but I'm also not looking at some spots as "oh no, I had to learn from dying, instead of the answer being given right to me". It's an unapologetic game about doing that type of shit shit, and I don't think its cheap about it.

By Chapter 7 from what I'm reading you've gotten every weapon you could have gotten, have gotten enough gels to make significant upgrades. So at this point its just a matter of being able to pick the correct tool for the situation, and rarely did I feel like I had to do something I couldn't just figure out after a death or two, or by simply paying attention all the way. So yeah, I have a major disagreement in what I would fine cheap.

I could sort of see why the invisible enemies bother someone, as they don't have the obvious tell that the bugs did in RE4. But,
the 2 times I've faced them was near a puddle that gave their position away in seconds, they have that blur, or it was that hospital shit where they are moving over props like stretchers, chairs and shit, and that's your time to strike. Plus flash bolt stuns them, identifies them, and gives you a free stealth kill, so I'm of the opinion that so long as you are paying attention you can handle it.

I'm really liking it so far. I can totally see why certain things got it panned, but I just really dig the gameplay.

Is it just me or is the enemy design really outstanding? It is like Dead Space x Residen Evil 4 x the Ring

A pity that i'm not able to play it (spent my money on alien), but i hope to be able to buy it soon. I'm glad that this thing turned out good.

Top Bottom