• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Endesu

Clear time of 18:31:16, 72 deaths (most of which were due to a faulty left trigger - kept sticking). Don't have much to say except that I was simultaneously frustrated and enjoying the hell out of myself.

Imagining a future installment with more refinement and polish would be a dream - do away with the letterboxing, tighten up the controls a bit, perhaps make certain boss battles less annoying - but keep just about everything else the same. An action horror game that emphasizes the vulnerability of its protagonist - Sebastian compares very poorly to the likes of RE4's Leon in terms of endurance and gun handling capability - and forces you to ration your supplies on the default difficulty? Very good!

I am slightly disappointed that while there's a save room, it doesn't have music along the lines of the classic RE games. Not that the classical music was bad, I was just expecting something different, especially given how many other RE callbacks there are in the game.

Santar

Just finished the game yesterday.
It was sorta good?

Felt like a more sloppy version of RE 4 in a way.
The controls does not feel great and the black bars made me almost miss items on the ground quite a bit.

The best part of the game for me was the combat, the guns felt satisfying to use, the sound effects were good, and it gave you some options with all the different weapons.
It also has an eerie atmosphere which made me have to take some breaks now and then :p

The fact that everything can happen in the wold made me a bit distanced from it, if everything can happen you don't really care much about where you're at or where you're going. If that hallway suddenly can morph into whatever it doesn't really matter that it's a hallway.

The story was okay, it didn't really explain much I thought and Sebastian was just your typical generic action game lead to me. I know the notes give him some backstory but even that was kinda generic, in the actual game he's just sorta there. I was hoping he was more directly involved in the story in a darker way.

holygeesus

Banned
On chapter 7 where you
fight the keeper, does he respawn infinitely until you turn the pipes off or do you have to kill him a set number of times before turning them?

Gustaf89

Banned
The story was okay, it didn't really explain much I thought and Sebastian was just your typical generic action game lead to me. I know the notes give him some backstory but even that was kinda generic, in the actual game he's just sorta there. I was hoping he was more directly involved in the story in a darker way.

we really don't know how much is he really involved,
the fire where his daughter died was provoked, as well as the dissapearence of her wife, maybe the game didn't elaborate on that, but definetely there is more than what the game shows

On chapter 7 where you
fight the keeper, does he respawn infinitely until you turn the pipes off or do you have to kill him a set number of times before turning them?

on my experience,
he will respawn aslong ast the pipes are open, so shut them ASAP

The brass knuckles are so OP, it's like having an Axe with you at all times. It explodes heads :O
I am playing on Casual though so not sure how strong they are on higher difficulties. The beginning section of Chapter 6 (where you have to hold off the enemies while Joesph disarms the traps on the doors) is very easy if you have them equipped.

holygeesus

Banned
we really don't know how much is he really involved,
the fire where his daughter died was provoked, as well as the dissapearence of her wife, maybe the game didn't elaborate on that, but definetely there is more than what the game shows

on my experience,
he will respawn aslong ast the pipes are open, so shut them ASAP

Many thanks!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The brass knuckles are so OP, it's like having an Axe with you at all times. It explodes heads :O
I am playing on Casual though so not sure how strong they are on higher difficulties. The beginning section of Chapter 6 (where you have to hold off the enemies while Joesph disarms the traps on the doors) is very easy if you have them equipped.

They are supposed to be OP given that they're the weapon you unlock for beating the game on its hardest difficulty, Akumu where one hit from anything kills you. I'd bet many things would be easy with them, but they're made OP as you have to go through hell to unlock them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
question about chapter
spoilers obviously

I see good ol' box head is back, and im terribly low on ammo, do we have to kill him again? I made it down the building some and now I hear him in the next room >_>

edit:
he just dragged a body away for now
, but the question still stands

Just finished chapter 7. That was a boss battle for the ages. The boss was so damn creepy, especially
when he ripped his own head off to be reborn next to you

This is GOTY material so far, maybe even All-Time Top 10, let's see how the rest of the chapters are. God, I missed a good survival horror game that is also competent when it comes to shooting. So much fun.

Lord Phol

On Chapter 4. Any tips on upgrades? I'm doing mostly stocks atm so I can carry more stuff since i don't wan to end up without ammo on a boss or hard encounter.

What's the player reward for finding all the
map fragments
?

Just weapons

On chapter 7 where you

Just focus on
the pipes,the minimum is killing him 2 times

question about chapter
spoilers obviously

I see good ol' box head is back, and im terribly low on ammo, do we have to kill him again? I made it down the building some and now I hear him in the next room >_>

edit:
he just dragged a body away for now
, but the question still stands

I don't remember fighting
him
at all...

Bl@de

On Chapter 4. Any tips on upgrades? I'm doing mostly stocks atm so I can carry more stuff since i don't wan to end up without ammo on a boss or hard encounter.

Ehm don't bother. I never really had a lot of ammo in the first place ... So the reserve seemed useless and I never upgraded it past lvl 2

Lernaean

Banned
Finished ch10.
Impressions. Nicely made chapter, tense and full of awesome moments. My only complaints are,
the last part of the Laura chase. This part can really go fuck itself. Died more times there, than all the other times combined in the game, and the last boss fight which was surprisingly easy and short.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't remember fighting
him
at all...

not sure if you were trolling me
but you fight him, just died to him in a refrigerator room with no room to maneuver and those annoying ground sawblades running around

but you fight him, just died to him in a refrigerator room with no room to maneuver and those annoying ground sawblades running around

Oh.. yeah i remember now....
yes you have to kill him (i think 2 times) until the hutch that Joseph went in, opens again...

You take
the same escape which Jospeh took, that little cargo elevator in the refrigerator room.

popyea

Just bought the game on PC :)
I was about to buy it though steam until the price on checkout amounted to $94. I quickly backed out and was lucky to pay only $54 on GMG. Thank god too because I was about prepared to put this on backlog and wait for the price to drop.

Rhaknar

You take
the same escape which Jospeh took, that little cargo elevator in the refrigerator room.
Oh.. yeah i remember now....
yes you have to kill him (i think 2 times) until the hutch that Joseph went in, opens again...

aye. im on chapter
now with NO health items at all. Im good on ammo but yeah, this isnt looking good :/

-MD-

Chapter 10 was fucking intense.
I totally cheesed the last boss on like my 4th or 5th attempt when he went into phase 2, I was standing in front of him like 100 feet away and just popped 5 sniper rounds into his purple vagina mouth, he never got a chance to move.

Chapter 11 is draining my will to keep playing this game.

I'd been dreading this chapter the whole time based on what people have been saying but I'm not seeing what a lot of people find worth bitching about outside of the
2 enemies with machine guns
. I haven't finished it though, maybe it gets much worse. Saved when I got to the first hub checkpoint.

Finished the game. Playtime says 17:44:54 with a count of 66 deaths.
Boy, that game went completely bonkers at the end. Still trying to piece everything together.
Serves a good base for sequels though.

Chapter 11 is draining my will to keep playing this game.

I can see why people dislike chapters 11 to 13 (or was that 14?). It's different to the rest of the game but gives you a nice
post apocalyptic
vibe.

Rhaknar

what was wrong wtih chapter 11? I dont remember anything particulary annoying / harder than the rest?

I can see why people dislike chapters 11 to 13 (or was that 14?). It's different to the rest of the game but gives you a nice
post apocalyptic
vibe.

Visually it's really neat but I'm not finding any of the encounters to be any fun it just feels tedious. It also doesn't help that this chapter comes after two of the stronger chapters in the game so far.

Sanctuary

By Chapter 7 from what I'm reading you've gotten every weapon you could have gotten.

Nope

I'd been dreading this chapter the whole time based on what people have been saying but I'm not seeing what a lot of people find worth bitching about outside of the
2 enemies with machine guns
. I haven't finished it though, maybe it gets much worse. Saved when I got to the first hub checkpoint.

It's not that bad, and it's more than
two enemies with machine guns
, but it is the most generic, shoot-bang RE5 level I believe.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I agree with almost all of this. I think less is more with this game. Whenever I'm sneaking around and fighting regular enemies, solving puzzles, etc., it's really good. All of the big set pieces, chases, and bosses are kind of terrible. It's more trial and error and, for me, there's no tension. When sneaking around, I'm worried about getting caught and wasting ammo. When I'm fighting some giant boss or something, it's more "ugh, I hope I don't get instakilled and have to do this shit again."

And yeah, Sep alone is the highlight of the game. Any time you encounter his dopey, pointless partners the entertainment value drops. I want to be alone and isolated in this foreign place. I don't want to babysit glasses asshole or generic female.

'Glasses asshole'.

Brilliant. 10/10 right there. Laughed my ass off.

That's what I'm going to call all them annoying fucking idiots with glasses from now on.

Thriller

I just began playing this game after Alien Isolation and I'm just getting used to the controls and atmosphere.
What I can not get used to up till now is the fact that the camera is to damn near my main character, he takes up half my screen. Is this the case in this game or did I press a button to make it like this? (PS4 version by the way)

With RE4 I think I saw my entire guy that Im playing with, now I see his head and back (so not his legs) and this doesn't leave much space for the rest of the game to see.

I hope someone can help me out here.

Gurish

I feel that the game is kinda ruined for me, I'm having a blast up until now (currently at chapter 5) but because people wrote freely bosses information right at the top of their posts without using the spoiler tag I now know there are bosses in chapter
5, 6, 7, 14, I also know that i will meet Joseph soon and have a mission with him cause someone wrote that as well
and that kind of ruins the moment for me :(

I really hope there are more surprises left for me.

Sanctuary

I just began playing this game after Alien Isolation and I'm just getting used to the controls and atmosphere.
What I can not get used to up till now is the fact that the camera is to damn near my main character, he takes up half my screen. Is this the case in this game or did I press a button to make it like this? (PS4 version by the way)

With RE4 I think I saw my entire guy that Im playing with, now I see his head and back (so not his legs) and this doesn't leave much space for the rest of the game to see.

I hope someone can help me out here.

It's intentional. Some people don't mind, some get used to it, and some still hate it even after finishing the game twice.

Rhaknar

chapter
is too tense for me, mainly because I have no health. its a bit better now because I had but a sliver of health and a zombie dropped a syringe, and then there was another right after, so I have 1 in stock atm, but still, good lord

im great on ammo at least

I feel that the game is kinda ruined for me, I'm having a blast up until now (currently at chapter 5) but because people wrote freely bosses information right at the top of their posts without using the spoiler tag I now know there are bosses in chapter
5, 6, 7, 14, I also know that i will meet Joseph soon and have a mission with him cause someone wrote that as well

And this here my fellow GAFfers is why you use spoiler tags. It's really not that hard. Don't be that asshole.
I can't believe a mod doesn't step in and call those people to order.

Don't worry, there are still some surprises left for you.

Haunted

Nope, no surprises left. You already know everything. There are bosses in this game and every character they introduce in the first chapter is not actually killed off 3 minutes into the game. watatwist! :p

Seriously, though. One of the first lessons you learn on the internet: if you really care about going in blind into a game (or a movie, or a book), stay the fuck away from Youtube videos (related videos often contain spoilers in the title), related articles on gaming sites (comments section), or GAF threads (probably the least dangerous, but still). In a perfect world, you wouldn't have to change your behaviour at all and can visit every site, watch every video and read every thread without worry - but this is reality. Not everyone will spoiler tag every post perfectly and there are plenty of people who put spoilers in comments or Youtube video titles (accidental and on purpose). Honestly, if you're really sensitive about this kind of stuff to the point that it can potentially ruin the experience for you, just stay away for a couple days. It's the only way to be safe.

Gurish

And this here my fellow GAFfers is why you use spoiler tags. It's really not that hard. Don't be that asshole.
I can't believe a mod doesn't step in and call those people to order.

Don't worry, there are still some surprises left for you.

Thank you and that's good to know, I'm just not reading anything in this thread other than responses to my posts unfortunately.

One of the first lessons you learn on the internet: if you really care about going in blind into a game (or a movie, or a book), stay the fuck away from Youtube videos (related videos often contain spoilers in the title), related articles (comments section), or GAF threads (probably the least dangerous, but still).

In a perfect world, you wouldn't have to change your behaviour at all because everyone spoiler tags every post perfectly, no one puts spoilers in comments or Youtube video titles - but this is reality. Stay away for a couple days if you want to stay clean. :D
I thought GAF topics are safe, but people just don't give a shit and starting their message with "Whoa that boss at chapter X is hard!!" without covering the number, and it's not just one person, most people does that!

Regardless, you are right, lesson learned, hoping I will still have fun, Hate playing when i know boss encounter will happen at the end of the chapter :/

Nope, no surprises left. You already know everything. There are bosses in this game and every character they introduce in the first chapter is not actually killed off 3 minutes into the game. watatwist! :p
I knew there were bosses but I didn't know their exact appearances, it's ruining a lot when you know up front in which chapters there are bosses.
And yea I guessed
Joseph didn't die but i didn't know that in the next chapter i will play together with him, that's also a surprise for me as i didn't expect co-op play with the AI at all

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm also a bit disappointed by the untagged spoilers in this thread, maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the point of OT's were to be a place people could discuss the game whilst playing through it. Wasn't this the exact reasoning for moving them to the day of release?

Gurish

I'm also a bit disappointed by the untagged spoilers in this thread, maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the point of OT's were to be a place people could discuss the game whilst playing through it. Wasn't this the exact reasoning for moving them to the day of release?

Yea i was enjoying reading non-spoiler posts with general impressions, maybe some useful tactics and general tips (like what to upgrade and stuff), but i didn't expect everybody to get wild and just spill info about chapters people didn't play yet, it's like everybody forgot about that simple fact that the game just came out and there are plenty who didn't get to play much.

People even posted gifs of new enemies without any warning
someone posted a gif where he killed an invisible enemy with a bow
, like, what the hell?

Yeah I'm bailing out until I finish the game. It's getting sloppy in here.

psychotron

There are some boxes in the back of the checkpoint for that section. They might drop something good for you. There are also some handgun and shotgun boxes lying around the area that you can find by sneaking before engaging.

If you still can't win, you might need to restart the chapter from the pause screen and plan your resources better.

I did it differently. I got them both to follow me to the farthest room away from the gate crank. Then I ran right passed them and sprinted to the wheel. Was able to open the gate just before they got me. If he has a freeze bolt that should make this a piece of cake.

Auctopus

I'm really sorry for a post like this because I detest "Sell me on..." threads but I was a part of the hype thread leading up to release but Driveclub sort of got in the way of me picking TEW in the end.

I was hoping for TEW to have nice amounts of exploration, as in it feels like you're discovering something new as you press on through the game. I was looking forward to horror that was influenced by Western and Eastern films/sources, I liked the talk of puzzles and how they scale on difficulty. I wasn't sure on the 'Outlast'-ish encounters with the bosses or how well the shooting fit in to the game.

Could a kind Gaffer tell me their impressions or whether the game delivered on my hopes? I've read reviews but a lot of them felt a bit skimpy.

Rhaknar

I'm really sorry for a post like this because I detest "Sell me on..." threads but I was a part of the hype thread leading up to release but Driveclub sort of got in the way of me picking TEW in the end.

I was hoping for TEW to have nice amounts of exploration, as in it feels like you're discovering something new as you press on through the game. I was looking forward to horror that was influenced by Western and Eastern films/sources, I liked the talk of puzzles and how they scale on difficulty. I wasn't sure on the 'Outlast'-ish encounters with the bosses or how well the shooting fit in to the game.

Could a kind Gaffer tell me their impressions or whether the game delivered on my hopes? I've read reviews but a lot of them felt a bit skimpy.

the game is to Resident Evil (especially 4/5) what Dark Souls was to Demons souls, especially after chapter
more or less

goldenboy

Neo Member
Facecams

Chapter 11
CSDG2ua.gif

Chapter 12
no-god-no-o.gif

psychotron

It has frame rate issues, sometimes refuses to load your game causing a restart, and the beginning can be hard as hell due to there being no hand holding. That being said, I can't stop playing. It frustrates me like Dark Souls would with all the deaths, but it gives you that amazing high when you finally get it. There's also moments of tension that'll have you holding your breath until you narrowly escape certain death.

I say buy it, but be prepared to dedicate yourself to fully enjoy it.

Top Bottom