• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Oddly enough I find the opposite to be true. They're both in the same realm, but Dead Space was scarier. More standard scares whereas the atmosphere and creepy vibe of The Evil Within is what stands out.

I'm usually scared quite easily, but Dead Space wasn't that bad for me. I think it's because it startles you more than it scares. I also felt a lot less vulnerable in DS than I do in TEW. My nerves are constantly being tested.

AlterOdin

Just finished. One hell of a ride, and I enjoyed it.

One of the most tension-filled games I have played in a while, you really find yourself vulnerable all the time with limited resources. It's like a cross between RE4, Silent Hill and Dark Souls, at least in my mind .

The combat/movement was a little wonky as first, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it.

I would definitively recommend it, and hope it spaws a sequel.

"Good" moment:
The garage fight with the huge monster (my first encounter). Was taking a beating having car flung at me, but I put up a fight. After a long ass fight he (the thing) came charging at me, I was low on health and I cycled my weapons to see the were all out of ammo, except my gun that had one bullet left. I aimed and shot, the monster collapsed in mid-stampede right in front of my feet. I was literally out of ammo at the end of the fight.

"Bad" monent;
The "fight" with the long black-haired bitch before the garage fight. I was a bit to convoluted to instinctively know all the switches you had to shot + the delay on the fire/gas-walls after you pulled the switch (I thought the switch did next to nothing until I noticed it was a hefty delay that the fire stopped). Think I died 20 times here (out of 60 total in game). I think they could have handled it better.

"Evil"
Technically; the game could be better, although touting a rock solid 30fps on PC, that is not good enough. I had it to unlocked 60 fps, and my 680gtx had trouble following it. I had to oveclock it (first time for a 1080p game) to get exceptable framerates 45-60. Although after chapter 6 it was no really a problem. It looks good, but 60-fps should be possible

"Misc":
Melee could have been better, but I also see the gain of having it under-powered.

Narrative:
I would like some better transitions between chapters. Plot could have been fleshed out a "little" more, some lose ends. The notes would have been nice to have a voice-over to get a more feel for the context (state-of-mind) of them.

And to the first-world-problem complainers about this game; You should be fucking happy this game was made, it's not perfect (what game is), but pretty damn good if you ask me. That is; we don't get a lot of these games in this age and time. denzelcanthavenicethings.gif.

Glowing recommendations!

Hubble

I'm on the fence.

I can handle scary like RE4 and 5, had a great time with both.

I could not handle Dead Space. The scary was too much.

How fucked am I if I buy this game?

It's not that scary. Honest. And the Silent Hill references need to stop. It's not even close to that or the classic RE games. Its aiming system is like RE4.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Finished Chapter 12
Starting Chapter 13

I'm absolutely out of ammo.
Am I fucked?

Maybe you should check a guide and see if there's a key near you. Keep trying the safe till you get ammo, might be enough to get you by

Ricker

yo people!

Gonna be starting the game soon. What difficulty is recommended for a first playthrough? I hear the game is quite hard even on normal.

The game is quite hard even on Casual you mean hehe.... ;)...I played on Casual and I thought it was challenging,almost stopped playing a few times because I couldn't beat a section and 1 Boss in particular.

Verger

Banned
I finally got to play a little more on Sunday. I finished chapter 7, boy that chapter really cleaned me out. I was really mad when I found out that you could
just use greanades or the lock box mans own traps
I really liked Chapter 7 and
Mr. LockBox and navigating his traps. The level was a really cool blend of a traditional catacomb under the church and some kind of industrial workshop. In addition you had those freaky enemies from The Thing. For the Boss I ended up freezing him and then throwing the grenades which stuck to him. Though I realized later I didn't need to be so accurate with them. But didn't know you could turn the traps against him too

Dawg

I agree with the critique about The Evil Within's story. It's premise and central mystery start off nicely but along the way it just goes off course and falls under its own ambition.

Thing is: I don't really care about the main story in this game. To me, it's not the real story. Mikami is the real story.

In a way, this game is the story of his life. Like a collection of his greatest hits all in one game. You have the B-movie dialogue, you have the typical Mikami gunplay and you have that excellent sense of tension and atmosphere. Hell, there's even a frame-perfect remake of the famous scene from the first Resident Evil in this.

It's the story of a man who resurrected the survival-horror genre in 1996 with Resident Evil, a game that spawned other classic games like Silent Hill. He did it again, 10 years later, with Resident Evil 4 but the genre didn't resurrect then, it died off. This is like the third time he's doing it (probably the last time, given that one interview) and I think we all know it won't resurrect the genre this time either... but that doesn't matter.

I mean, he succeeded yet again in delivering that unique, survivel horror feeling of his that was present in his previous games. When you ask people about the issues this game has: they'll likely respond with the disappointing story, the technical problems, the weak character(s), the bugs or camera issues. There's probably more.

If this game was made by anyone else, those points would probably ruin the game experience. This doesn't happen in The Evil Within. Despite all of those issues, a lot of people (myself included) love this game because.... well, because Mikami is a goddamn genius. I swear to god, this dude can make an engaging experience no matter the many cons a game has.

If this is really the last game he is directing, then I can not think of a more depressing story in recent history.

Toa TAK

Banned
On Chapter 14 and
I don't know how to beat this boss with the tentacles. It's just spawning little leeches and I kill them but nothing happens.

Gustaf89

Banned
On Chapter 14 and
I don't know how to beat this boss with the tentacles. It's just spawning little leeches and I kill them but nothing happens.

it cloaks itself, and you gotta find the source of the leeches so you can attack it again, sometimes is on the walls, other times is on the holes on the ceiling

somedevil

On Chapter 14 and

He is either hiding in the pipes above. You can see his drool fall to the ground or he is camouflaged in the environment on the floor.

On Chapter 14 and
He's invisible on some wall or visible in the ceiling (there are these large tubes, you'll be able to see his head

If this game was made by anyone else, those points would probably ruin the game experience. This doesn't happen in The Evil Within. Despite all of those issues, a lot of people (myself included) love this game because.... well, because Mikami is a goddamn genius. I swear to god, this dude can make an engaging experience no matter the many cons a game has.

so agreement

wow

KyleCross

If you get your head chopped off in godmode on pc this happens:(SPOILERS IF YOU haven't gotten to or past chapter 10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TSp7uU--g#t=16

I've always wanted a mod like this in a game, in fact I wanted it in RE4. Dunno if it ever happened. Man, I shoulda got this game on PC I guess...

Also now that a lot of people have played the game, and even played it multiple times is there a good census on the best upgrades?

Neff

So this doesnt touch re4 technically it seems, too bad mikami went to the worst possible studio.he should have stayed at platinum...

He uh, created his own studio and hand-picked his staff.

The difference is that Capcom is willing to give one of their internal teams much, much more money to make one of their most successful IPs than a publisher working with a freelance studio on a new IP.

Personally I think that sometimes the game falls short of RE4's polish (most asylum locations), but at times ably surpasses it (opening village and catacombs). It's a very competent, very pretty game.

Arkanius

Just arrived at Chapter 14
I hope I'm near the end. I've managed to restock my Pistol and Shotgun as well. I sneaked the whole Chapter 13 other than Safe Head

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo people!

Gonna be starting the game soon. What difficulty is recommended for a first playthrough? I hear the game is quite hard even on normal.

I play every game on normal, and I finished it on survival (which is normal here, assuming casual is easy). If I can do it, everyone can

Dresden

Sat down and went through 15 - despite everything, like how fucking ugly the arena is and the dullness of the encounter design, it was pretty enjoyable to just blast my way through.
The two keepers took about six harpoons, two magnum shots, and four grenades, although the last 'nade might have been overkill. Just for the curious.

Ended up really liking the game. The pacing and the constant variety makes up for quite a few of its flaws, and the mediocrity of some of its setpieces. I'll likely go through ng+ soon, although I'm not going to bother with Akumu.

e:

17 hours, 68 deaths. I thought it would be much more, but I must have exaggerated in my mind the number of one-hit deaths I suffered.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just finished it.

LOVED it. Took me a while to warm up to the game, but I ended up getting pulled into it.

BUT....

Can someone tell me just what the FUCK was going on in the game?

I need some sort of article or a post that summarizes the details. PLEASE.

Just finished it.

LOVED it. Took me a while to warm up to the game, but I ended up getting pulled into it.

BUT....

Can someone tell me just what the FUCK was going on in the game?

I need some sort of article or a post that summarizes the details. PLEASE.

Head on over to the spoiler thread.

Dominator

So you go into battle with no ammo at all? Cause otherwise you should only be shooting at those enemies then to recoup.
What? I got past this and beat the game a little while ago but I don't get what you're saying. After I unload everything I have on the boss, then thats the only way to get more ammo.

hew9753

I'm worried. I just finished Chapter 10 and really hated it by the end.
It felt like the longest chapter yet, and fuck those back to back Laura and parking-garage-monster boss fights.

Without spoilers, how's the rest of the game? I've enjoyed it up until 9 & 10 but I feel like it's starting to wear out its welcome. People seem to hate 11 but are there any more high points or is all a slog from here on out?

ST2K

Just beat Chapter 9.
Ruvik and his constant one hit kill punishing you for exploring can go fuck right off

I just got to that chapter, and, having now realized that will be a constant thing, I am seriously considering dropping this game for good.

So far this game has just been one moment after another of being pretty good, but being unable to get out of its own way with some major glaring flaw(s). That or just consistently avoiding its strengths (exploring and taking on enemies as you choose). Getting to this chapter where it opens up a bit and lets you explore only to have that big "Fuck you" thing is just... maybe the final straw.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm worried. I just finished Chapter 10 and really hated it by the end.
It felt like the longest chapter yet, and fuck those back to back Laura and parking-garage-monster boss fights.

Without spoilers, how's the rest of the game? I've enjoyed it up until 9 & 10 but I feel like it's starting to wear out its welcome. People seem to hate 11 but are there any more high points or is all a slog from here on out?
That's how I feel too. I liked 9 but the huge number of obnoxious one hit kills in 10 made me ragequit last night.

Mupod

Just beat Chapter 9.
Ruvik and his constant one hit kill punishing you for exploring can go fuck right off

Wait...
he's a one hit kill? Shit, I was basically running in wide circles around him since I thought he was harmless or something just there to spook you a bit. That's kind of creepy to find out after the fact.

That chapter was awesome though.
Just a big ole Resident Evil mansion. I more or less made out like a bandit too, my ammo is in good shape even after the boss. I was low on bolt parts after killing Keepers over and over but I'm back up around 30 now.

Yuterald

Eh...Chapter 11 is some straight up garbage planet rolled up into some ass-ammo. I'm not frustrated with it, difficulty-wise. I'm frustrated with it because of how it's designed. There's like a billion ideas going on in that stage. Total quantity over quality, however. Half of the stuff I've seen in this chapter has been cool/interesting (I'm assuming most people can figure this out...maybe?). The other half has been some RE6-levels of barf nation. Fortunately, I don't have to roll around in the leaves in this game, so at least the combat is still present and good, even when the scenario design is farting all over the place. I'm not even done the chapter yet either. I've hit like my 3rd save room. Why does Chapter 11 feel longer than everything else? =/

Oh, and did I encounter a MAJOR oversight or what...?
You know that part right before the gondola of ass, where a bad dude pulls a switch from afar and that stupid shutter sequence begins where enemies pour out in waves? You can CLEARLY see the guy from a far before the sequence begins. I tried sniping him and nothing happened, like it didn't register my shots. I thought maybe it would have been a cool way to bypass the scripted event, but I guess not...? If that's what I was seeing, then WOOOOOOOW! Amateur-hour city!

I don't know, I like this game, but it's WAY too messy and all over the place to be considered a classic. I definitely, DEFINITELY think Vanquish is a "better" game and this is a fart in the wind compared to the original RE and RE4.

I guess I just had the best luck with chapter 9.

Ruvik spawned once in each of the three mansion areas and was avoidable each time. I used a hiding spot one of the times (he wasn't in the room yet) and he came in but didn't find me. Survivor difficulty if it matters, and I wasn't rushing and took the time to explore. idk mangs

Gustaf89

Banned
I guess I just had the best luck with chapter 9.

Ruvik spawned once in each of the three mansion areas and was avoidable each time. I used a hiding spot one of the times (he wasn't in the room yet) and he came in but didn't find me. Survivor difficulty if it matters, and I wasn't rushing and took the time to explore. idk mangs

"best luck"? you just played it how is supposed to be played

who knows if they'll ever make another game and how many years that might take.

This is gaming...

if the DLC leave more questions than answers and then the franchise gets canned, then i will join you
i really want a sequel

Top Bottom