• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I got upto chapter 11 last night,
killed chapter 10 boss on first try, had heaps of grenades and shotty shells and unloaded both of those on him hard, bitch went down like a sack of shit. Love how his phase 2 lasted all of 20 seconds, I didn't even get to see him attack, lol as far as i'm concerned his phase 2 was just him going all purple from the brusing I dished out in phase 1

I got through Chapter 11 quite a bit, I felt the game was waaay too easy but it has started to get a little harder here in 11, longer encounters, less checkpoints etc.
After a lengthy section got greedy on those 2 vending machines, kept hammering the first one and when the bomb dropped I sorta looked at it for a couple of seconds tryna work out what I had just picked up then.....BOOOM!! Had just enough health to cop that one, so move onto the next....too stubborn to use a health kit (even though I had full stimpacks and a med kit in inventory)....hammered the vending machine untill the bomb drops and....w00t disarmed! Right on the line as well! Phew! Lol Mikami is a genius at this stuff.

To those people that are saying they are having a hard time with chapter 11 or that it's getting frustrating...could you tell me if it's before or after the part
where you have to avoid the mutant fish thing in the water? I think i'm up to the first save room after this bit
Just curious cuz that's what I gotta go home and contend with tonight...

Sanctuary

Akumu is actually not one hit and you're dead at all times. Although this information is completely impractical, it's still kind of funny. The first time it happened I thought it was just some kind of animation glitch, but then it happened a second and I noticed the cause.

If Joseph kills the enemy that's doing the initial phase of the death animation, it won't kill you, only take you to very low health. Whenever you get hit in Akumu, a kill animation begins with the enemy doing whatever and your health drops super low and then they finish you off.

Also, what is the purpose of the
machine gun
? It's less powerful than pretty much any gun you've upgraded and ammo doesn't drop.

malfcn

I'm on the Keeper chapter.
Right away I found some hidden door that triggered a save with a wall behind me. Miss anything in the second room before that?

So I found a hallway you can't get out of.. Unless you have 2 bullets. And it kills you.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I loved RE4. One of my top games of all time. Will I enjoy this?

it's a good bet. certainly, for myself, it has all the things i loved about RE4, and is way more terrifying, at moments. certainly one of the best game experiences i've had in a long time--expecially games of this type.

Sanctuary

They aren't the same at all despite some vague similarities in specific levels. TEW is more like a mix of Silent Hill, Dead Space, REmake, Outlast, F.E.A.R., RE5 and hints of RE4. It's nowhere near as polished as RE4, the pacing is worse, the levels don't connect and the combat is infinitely worse generally, but it's a little more tactical.

-MD-

Hard to recommend the game to people that ask this because they're honestly really different games and offer different experiences.

I'd say yes though because it has some RE4 injected into it and even borrows a few scenarios, just don't expect it to be the same kind of action game. It doesn't quite have the polish RE4 (let's be real here, this game has a lot more going on and much more variety than RE4) had but overall this game has surpassed it in my eyes, the gameplay just fits my tastes better.

the pacing is worse, combat is infinitely worse generally

The pacing is a toss up (the castle and island drag on imo, only the village was 100% on point) but the combat isn't even close for me, I love TEW's combat.

nilbog21

Banned
I just started playing last of us and it's strikingly similar to evil within in terms of game play and controls. I'm really surprised I haven't seen this comparison..

I'm only 2 hrs in though

-MD-

I just started playing last of us and it's strikingly similar to evil within in terms of game play and controls. I'm really surprised I haven't seen this comparison..

I'm only 2 hrs in though

TLOU is a game that is frequently name dropped in this thread.

Sanctuary

The pacing is a toss up (the castle and island drag on imo, only the village was 100% on point) but the combat isn't even close for me, I love TEW's combat.

Have you tried playing on Akumu yet? The combat flaws can easily be covered up by syringes on Nightmare and below. Sebastian was simply not tuned correctly for multiple combatant scenarios. Like I said before, it's like RE4 speed for everyone but Sebastian, who is stuck in 1995 (and even then sometimes not even that good). On Akumu (and I'm assuming Nightmare), enemies are 2x - 2.5x faster too.

-MD-

Have you tried playing on Akumu yet? The combat flaws can easily be covered up by syringes on Nightmare and below. Sebastian was simply not tuned correctly for multiple combatant scenarios. Like I said before, it's like RE4 speed for everyone but Sebastian, who is stuck in 1995 (and even then sometimes not even that good).

I haven't tried Akumu yet, I assumed from the jump the game wouldn't be tuned around that though and it'd be unfair in a lot of ways. That's how most 1-shot difficulties seem to be.

how long was The Evil Within in development and how big is the team behind it ?

4 years and Tango has ~65 employees according to wiki. This is also their first game as a studio.

I'm only 2 hrs in though

People have made the comparison. I thought to myself "This game is like The Last of Us, only fun." That all goes out the window after chapter 3.

Sanctuary

I haven't tried Akumu yet, I assumed from the jump the game wouldn't be tuned around that though and it'd be unfair in a lot of ways. That's how most 1-shot difficulties seem to be.

Once I finish it, I'm never playing that difficulty again.

People have made the comparison. I thought to myself "This game is like The Last of Us, only fun." That all goes out the window after chapter 3.

There are at least two more chapters where you can get your Joel Fisher on.

HeelPower

4 years and Tango has ~65 employees according to wiki. This is also their first game as a studio.

Its really impressive that only 65 people made this game.The amount and quality of assets produced are huge and really varied.plus its made on 5 platforms.I bet those people crunched like crazy.

RE6 had 600 people working on it in comparison for a good 3 years or so and less platforms to work on.

Hope TEW is a good profit for them and they continue to make more of it(or things like it).

HeelPower

The proof that Quality > Quantity

That must be insanely talented 65 people who crunched like crazy for 4 years though.

This still feels like a long huge game.It took me 17 hours to beat IIRC.

Plus it managed to floor me visually many times.

Fingers crossed it sells well.

Ateron

They aren't the same at all despite some vague similarities in specific levels. TEW is more like a mix of Silent Hill, Dead Space, REmake, Outlast, F.E.A.R., RE5 and hints of RE4. It's nowhere near as polished as RE4, the pacing is worse, the levels don't connect and the combat is infinitely worse generally, but it's a little more tactical.

Worse as in you can't kill 9 enemies with just a knife stab to the head, followed by a roundhouse kick and then stab them to death before they can get up? Then I agree, it's definitely worse.

You can say RE4 had more polish, but if you remove the janky melee TEW has, it can do everything RE4 can and then some. It's not worse by any means. I feel like the emphasis on stealth rather than kick-ass german suplexes is a lot more satisfying, and as good as popping heads was in RE4, it's a lot better here.

Better feedback, the shotgun actually has a purpose as a crowd control weapon (instead of the all mighty kick to the teeth) and the agony bolts are the closer we're gonna get to grenade launchers in classic RE. I'm a huge fanboy of RE4 and it's easily on my top 5 games ever, but TEW has better combat, with more challenging enemies. The one thing I couldn't stand in RE4 is how badly you could cheese the AI. Just take two steps forward towards an enemy, make him try to give you a friendly hug, back away one step and stab his head. If he's alone, he's as good as dead. If he brought some friends with him, they will all be staggered and it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Those invincibility frames trivialized a lot of encounters.

The enemies in TEW are more unpredictable and a headshot is a risky proposition: should I go for it and risk missing, wasting ammo and opening up for a lunge attack? Even if I hit it might just destroy half of his skull, thus making a second headshot harder cause the hitbox shrunk to half. The gunshot to the leg is kinda the same as in RE4. It will almost work all the time and that is a weakness they both share, but at least here you use it just to have a chance of using a match which most of the time are too valuable to waste on a single scrub enemy.

If you're talking in tech terms, then yeah. RE4 has tighter controls but it's cause it's more arcade-y, and it didn't hurt that it had better production values and bigger budget, which this game doesn't have. The combat in RE4 is nowhere as deep as in TEW, and I say that as a Mercs addicted son of a bitch. It's really easy to cheese the game even when overwhelmed. It's not as easy to do so in this game. Different strokes, I guess.

RE4 is still king, overall, but as a supposed "survival horror" experience, TEW takes RE4's cake and then some. And all I said still applies to RE4's professional difficulty, which also had the enemies do a ton more damage, while being more aggresive their stupid AI remained exploitable.

Sanctuary

RE4 is still king, overall, but as a supposed "survival horror" experience, TEW takes RE4's cake and then some. And all I said still applies to RE4's professional difficulty, which also had the enemies do a ton more damage, while being more aggresive their stupid AI remained exploitable.

Except for the fact that the game turns into a full blown action game during many of its chapters with limited ammo being the only "Survival Horror" element left. The combat is abysmal compared to RE4 in regards to movement, fluidity and perspective while everything else around you is sped up. The perspective is probably the worst thing about the game. The intent may have been to cause a panic reaction, but it's more annoying than anything.

Worse as in you can't kill 9 enemies with just a knife stab to the head, followed by a roundhouse kick and then stab them to death before they can get up? Then I agree, it's definitely worse.

You can say RE4 had more polish, but if you remove the janky melee TEW has, it can do everything RE4 can and then some. It's not worse by any means. I feel like the emphasis on stealth rather than kick-ass german suplexes is a lot more satisfying, and as good as popping heads was in RE4, it's a lot better here.

Better feedback, the shotgun actually has a purpose as a crowd control weapon (instead of the all mighty kick to the teeth) and the agony bolts are the closer we're gonna get to grenade launchers in classic RE. I'm a huge fanboy of RE4 and it's easily on my top 5 games ever, but TEW has better combat, with more challenging enemies. The one thing I couldn't stand in RE4 is how badly you could cheese the AI. Just take two steps forward towards an enemy, make him try to give you a friendly hug, back away one step and stab his head. If he's alone, he's as good as dead. If he brought some friends with him, they will all be staggered and it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

The enemies in TEW are more unpredictable and a headshot is a risky proposition: should I go for it and risk missing, wasting ammo and opening up for a lunge attack? Even if I hit it might just destroy half of his skull, thus making a second headshot harder cause the hitbox shrunk to half. The gunshot to the leg is kinda the same as in RE4. It will almost work and that is a weakness they both share, but at least here you use it just to have a chance of using a match which most of the time are too valuable to waste on a single scrub enemy.

If you're talking in tech terms, then yeah. RE4 has tighter controls but it's cause it's more arcade-y, and it didn't hurt that it had better production values and bigger budget, which this game doesn't have. The combat in RE4 is nowhere as deep as in TEW, and I say that as a Mercs addicted son of a bitch. It's really easy to cheese the game even when overwhelmed. It's not as easy to do so in this game. Different strokes, I guess.

giphy.gif

Duxxy3

Thoughts on this - should The Evil Within have had a merchant in the game like RE4?

Might have smoothed out the feast or famine that players have with ammo and equipment. On the other hand it might make managing supplies too easy.

HeelPower

The combat is abysmal compared to RE4 in regards to movement, fluidity and perspective while everything else around you is sped up. The perspective is probably the worst thing about the game. The intent may have been to cause a panic reaction, but it's more annoying than anything.

RE4 had pretty tanky controls.

I really don't think RE4 has combat that makes TEW feel abysmal ,but to each their own.

This game's combat has different strengths and is pretty damn good.

StewboaT_

It wasn't something that made me want to quit or anything, i took it in stride, it was just one of those things i felt didnt need to be a thing, it was just time wasting and boring
Agreed. Apart from that, I don't really see the problem with ch11. I am starting to worry about my resource management though!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude this game is glitchy.
I'm fine with the framerate, but I'm in Chapter 4 and right after you go back to the hospital set and back to the world theres a part where
you're in a room with the patient kid and a monster busts through the door
but the enemy is like invisible and then it will pop into existence for a split second right before it attacks me. Its ridiculous. I'm really into the game but glithces like this are intolerable.

oh wait nvm

Bebpo

Banned
Any chance this will get a mercenaries, horde mode later on? The pure action combat sections in this game are fantastic.

Duxxy3

I'm fine with the framerate, but I'm in Chapter 4 and right after you go back to the hospital set and back to the world theres a part where
but the enemy is like invisible and then it will pop into existence for a split second right before it attacks me. Its ridiculous. I'm really into the game but glithces like this are intolerable.

That's not a glitch

That's not a glitch. The game has
invisible enemies

Agreed. Apart from that, I don't really see the problem with ch11. I am starting to worry about my resource management though!

I got pretty gungho during most of the game and then started sweating when i ran out of ammo, im hoping i can get better at managing my resources next playthrough haha

Ateron

Except for the fact that the game turns into a full blown action game during many of its chapters with limited ammo being the only "Survival Horror" element left.

Which isn't a bad thing, since the combat is infinitely more complex and gives you more options than the good old kick to the teeth-stab rinse and repeat.

It's exactly the limited ammo supply that makes it a survival horror, makes you improvise, adapt and overcome. I never, ever, felt that way playing RE4. The only enemy that threw me off slightly were the regenerators, which can't be cheesed. Every single enemy can be cheesed in some way. In TEW if you don't have enough ammo you gotta lure them into traps in the setting or ones you place yourself, or just run and hope they lose your scent and try to go for a stealth kill. RE4 overpowers the player too much to be tense.

It did what it set out to do pretty damn well, which was an addicting combat system, but it wasn't exactly deep, just like CoD is addicting but isn't deep. Take the chainsaw guys for example, they can be brought down with flash grenades and knifing. Or a shotgun blast and a kick, followed by more knifing. Try to do the same against this year's Chainsaw Maniac and the outcome will be different. The difference is that ammo is short, you can't keep wasting parts to make freeze/flash bolts everysingle time. Even a shotgun blast to the face won't stop that guy.

Damn, I feel weird downplaying RE4 like this, being the masterpiece that it is, but the combat was shallower than in TEW. Saying that it's got worse combat is a disservice, imo.

Gustaf89

Banned
RE4 had pretty tanky controls.

I really don't think RE4 has combat that makes TEW feel abysmal ,but to each their own.

This game's combat has different strengths and is pretty damn good.

i find them pretty similar, i mean on RE you can suplex your enemies and shit like that, i'm pretty sure that's why he thinks that the controls are better on RE4, but on TEW the supplex and kicks are replaced with the matches, you shoot a group of hauted, they hit the floor and you drop a match on them, and done. just because TEW is not as flashy as RE4 it doesn't mean it got worse controls, i mean, at least you can move and shoot at the same time

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's not a glitch

That's not a glitch. The game has
invisible enemies

Yeah, I literally just figured that out. You know, the game doesn't do a very good job of presenting things like this. I think the first two times it happened there was also significant texture pop-in and none of the characters reacted this new threat.

Good game but it is definitely rough.

oh wait nvm

iGITYqsi091W9.gif

Duxxy3

Yeah, I literally just figured that out. You know, the game doesn't do a very good job of presenting things like this. I think the first two times it happened there was also significant texture pop-in and none of the characters reacted this new threat.

Good game but it is definitely rough.

I think it's because it went against what we're used to with
invisible enemies
. We're used to
seeing wavy lines or a haze, and not truly invisibly enemies.

HeelPower

i find them pretty similar, i mean on RE you can suplex your enemies and shit like that, i'm pretty sure that's why he thinks that the controls are better on RE4, but on TEW the supplex and kicks are replaced with the matches, you shoot a group of hauted, they hit the floor and you drop a match on them, and done. just because TEW is not as flashy as RE4 it doesn't mean it got worse controls, i mean, at least you can move and shoot at the same time

oh man...

Matching/burning enemies is ridiculously satisfying.You can also get punished(or miss out on extra kills) for timing it poorly.

Loved using the axes and torches dropped by enemies too.

Ateron

Yes, I agree that this is the equivalent of meleeing a group of ganados, *altough*...doing that will not always be a guaranteed success because unlike RE4, there are no invincibility frames in TEW that you can exploit. I've been using that tactic since the beginning, even letting myself be seen some times so I could bait one or two to a body, and you gotta time the burning correctly. Half a second too late and you will get hit, and swarmed. It' takes RE4 risk/reward mechanic and takes it into another level. I've died a few too many times trying that shit and it doesn't always work how I planned it. Sometimes they lunge at you as if provoked, instead of sprinting and then walking slowly towards you, just waiting for the headshot-melee combo. These fuckers are unpredictable, and that is what makes the fact that you can walk and shoot not feel overpowered. If you miss or don't stagger an enemy, better be prepared to sprint back as fast as you can to line another shot, or have that shotty on the ready. With tank controls this is something much, much more cumbersome to do.

LegendX48

I just got to that chapter, and, having now realized that will be a constant thing, I am seriously considering dropping this game for good.

So far this game has just been one moment after another of being pretty good, but being unable to get out of its own way with some major glaring flaw(s). That or just consistently avoiding its strengths (exploring and taking on enemies as you choose). Getting to this chapter where it opens up a bit and lets you explore only to have that big "Fuck you" thing is just... maybe the final straw.

That bit, and the end of chapter 10, are horrid which is unfortunate because both chapters are awesome outside of those elements. I don't plan on dropping it because the game's been getting better and better in spite of that stuff.

Wait...
he's a one hit kill? Shit, I was basically running in wide circles around him since I thought he was harmless or something just there to spook you a bit. That's kind of creepy to find out after the fact.

That chapter was awesome though.
Just a big ole Resident Evil mansion. I more or less made out like a bandit too, my ammo is in good shape even after the boss. I was low on bolt parts after killing Keepers over and over but I'm back up around 30 now.

I guess I should spoiler tag this?

The first time he showed up was tense and cool and I assumed he'd just throttle Sebastian around but nope, head explodes if he even so much as pokes you by mistake. I experienced that more times than I'd have preferred. Being punished for exploring should never be a thing. It killed the entire flow and everything that the chapter had been doing and damn near ruins what would have otherwise been an incredible part of the game. I know you can hide but that doesn't work out when he spawns on top of you or he hasn't spawned yet and you have no idea where he's gonna pop up and suddenly you're in his face >.>

JRW

Just finished up Chapter 2, nice visuals and atmospheric sound (headphones) buuut so far i'm a little in the "eh" territory for overall gameplay / fun factor, I know its to early to really judge tho. (Huge fan of RE4 btw).

Ateron

That bit, and the end of chapter 10, are horrid which is unfortunate because both chapters are awesome outside of those elements. I don't plan on dropping it because the game's been getting better and better in spite of that stuff.

I guess I should spoiler tag this?

The first time he showed up was tense and cool and I assumed he'd just throttle Sebastian around but nope, head explodes if he even so much as pokes you by mistake. I experienced that more times than I'd have preferred. Being punished for exploring should never be a thing. It killed the entire flow and everything that the chapter had been doing and damn near ruins what would have otherwise been an incredible part of the game. I know you can hide but that doesn't work out when he spawns on top of you or he hasn't spawned yet and you have no idea where he's gonna pop up and suddenly you're in his face >.>

I just played ring around the rosy with him everytime he appeared. That dinner table was my best ally. Everytime I heard him coming I would sprint towards some furniture where I could run circles around him and he never got me. It was hilarious, even though it's a shame, a wasted opportunity.Something that should be tense and creepy turned into a Benny Hill sketch. And it was exactly has I had "predicted" it would play out a month or so ago, when we had those gameplay videos. I knew that guy's AI could be exploited, but it's not so bad considering he isn't exactly a boss, just something to add some flavor to that section.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any chance this will get a mercenaries, horde mode later on? The pure action combat sections in this game are fantastic.

It doesn't sound like it(the season pass is for 2 segments as Kidman and one as the Keeper) but I agree that Mercenaries would be great here.

TriGen

Well, I played TEW for the first time yesterday -- and as someone that doesn't have much experience with the horror genre I've enjoyed it so far. Chapter 1 I didn't love and died a few times on, but chapter 3 was real good. The difficulty hasn't been that tough so far either, something that's surprised me, as I've heard a few people that don't have much experience with the genre say they struggled as early as chapter 3. Now, don't get me wrong I'm no pro and I'm sure I'll struggle later on but killing
the Sadist with the chainsaw
wasn't that hard, in fact I got him first try.

Now I don't want to self-promote but I gotta share one thing. My mom doesn't like horror at all and gets jumpy at just about anything even remotely stressful (the Hunger Games are too intense according to her) -- so I asked her if she would sit down with me while I live-streamed the game for a couple hours (BTW first time using the built-in live-streaming on either XBO or PS4, decent quality) -- and I gotta say I found it hilarious. She freaked out at the gore just liked I thought she would so I made a few highlights and put them on YT -- here's one of the three. (link)

Now I've never linked anything of my own before so if it bothers anyone let me know (it's only like 40 seconds BTW), but I thought some fans of horror might appreciate seeing a grown woman's legit reaction to this game. I know a lot of people have said they appreciate the horror, gore, setting and tone of the game but don't find it particularity scary -- which I kind of see -- but people that aren't used to stuff like TEW can get positively shook by this game.

I left off at the end of Chapter 10, I rage quit at the part in 11 where
you have to fight off waves that come from the cage in the roof through a giant metal door, after the guy pulls that lever. So many of them have guns

Between the end of 10 and all of 11, it's just been a slog of heavy, wave-based combat for like 2 hours straight and I was fed up with it.

Oh phew lol! I'm way past this, infact I did this part a couple of times just to fool around with the different enemy types. Was having real fun last night but had to go to bed so I could be sane at work today. Was hoping to have another progressive night and what people are saying about chapter 11 was getting me down, but aside from the setting i'm enjoying it more than 10.

Lucent

Think I'mma play the first couple of chapters on Akumu. Work on it bit by bit. I know I won't be able to finish it by the time Sunset Overdrive comes out. I could do Nightmare and still get the
brass knuckles
, but I feel like taking the challenge! lol

Top Bottom