• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Cyrus_Saren

Just beat it with a time of 15:12:53 and 78 deaths. Overall, I enjoyed it (Chapter 9 being my favorite). Definitely some things that could have been improved but very enjoyable regardless. I was hoping for a chapter select after beating the game since I missed two of the specific chapter achievements but oh well.

Just beat it with a time of 15:12:53 and 78 deaths. Overall, I enjoyed it (Chapter 9 being my favorite). Definitely some things that could have been improved but very enjoyable regardless. I was hoping for a chapter select after beating the game since I missed two of the specific chapter achievements but oh well.

There is chapter select after you select NG/NG+.

I just finished chapter 7 and am not really enjoying myself anymore. I kind of just want to get it over with to get the rest of the story. I didnt see too much from this game before release, so maybe shame on me, but almost every location looks the exact same to me now, pretty boring stuff. There is not much variation in the gameplay either. At least I can blow through most of it now because I saved up so many parts to make explosive bolts. I also dislike how gore is apparently equivalent to horror to Mikami now....alien isolation was scarier and a better survival horror game imo..meh

Chapter 10 is seriously pissing me off
First the spider chase set on fire bullshit got tedious but now this big fucking monster when I am not fully upgraded with sprint. Need to step away tonight, I'll try again in the morning.

Lucent

I just finished chapter 7 and am not really enjoying myself anymore. I kind of just want to get it over with to get the rest of the story. I didnt see too much from this game before release, so maybe shame on me, but almost every location looks the exact same to me now, pretty boring stuff. There is not much variation in the gameplay either. At least I can blow through most of it now because I saved up so many parts to make explosive bolts. I also dislike how gore is apparently equivalent to horror to Mikami now....alien isolation was scarier and a better survival horror game imo..meh

Can't really agree with a lot of it looking the same. I was surprised how different everything looks. None of the houses look exactly the same. The stuff placed in them definitely isn't the same. And I definitely didn't find the gameplay boring.

Kinda curious how Alien Isolation has more varied gameplay. I haven't played it yet, but it looks like a lot of hiding for the most part. I enjoyed doing that in Outlast but that was only a 4 hour game.

Not really sure what's supposed to make a game scary really anymore. I stopped being scared of them really after awhile. RE1 scared me because I was pretty young. But now nothing really scares me anymore. The only thing that scares me is if I'll be able to make it through a game based on what they give me and how I play.

I found this game to be pretty awesome and it gave me that RE4 feel again of "man I don't want this to stop I wish there was more to play" lol. At least we'll be getting DLC and I'm really looking forward to that. Considering how small the team was for this they did an AMAZING job.

Can't really agree with a lot of it looking the same. I was surprised how different everything looks. None of the houses look exactly the same. The stuff placed in them definitely isn't the same. And I definitely didn't find the gameplay boring.

Kinda curious how Alien Isolation has more varied gameplay. I haven't played it yet, but it looks like a lot of hiding for the most part. I enjoyed doing that in Outlast but that was only a 4 hour game.

Not really sure what's supposed to make a game scary really anymore. I stopped being scared of them really after awhile. RE1 scared me because I was pretty young. But now nothing really scares me anymore. The only thing that scares me is if I'll be able to make it through a game based on what they give me and how I play.

I found this game to be pretty awesome and it gave me that RE4 feel again of "man I don't want this to stop I wish there was more to play" lol. At least we'll be getting DLC and I'm really looking forward to that. Considering how small the team was for this they did an AMAZING job.

Alien Isolation did have a lot of the same and it was pretty long. But the randomness of the Alien kept it fresh when it was there throughout the game. One thing I also dont really like is that I am about to be 9 chapters in and still have no fucking clue what is happening in the plot. Having to go this long with knowing literally nothing is not enjoyable for me. I really enjoyed resident evil 4, but I feel that re4 had better boss fights, gameplay, and I enjoyed its more coherent plot

Lucent

Alien Isolation did have a lot of the same and it was pretty long. But the randomness of the Alien kept it fresh when it was there throughout the game. One thing I also dont really like is that I am about to be 9 chapters in and still have no fucking clue what is happening in the plot. Having to go this long with knowing literally nothing is not enjoyable for me. I really enjoyed resident evil 4, but I feel that re4 had better boss fights, gameplay, and I enjoyed its more coherent plot

Eh, to each their own I guess. I enjoyed The Evil Within for what it was.

Bl@de

Worse as in you can't kill 9 enemies with just a knife stab to the head, followed by a roundhouse kick and then stab them to death before they can get up? Then I agree, it's definitely worse.

You can say RE4 had more polish, but if you remove the janky melee TEW has, it can do everything RE4 can and then some. It's not worse by any means. I feel like the emphasis on stealth rather than kick-ass german suplexes is a lot more satisfying, and as good as popping heads was in RE4, it's a lot better here.

Better feedback, the shotgun actually has a purpose as a crowd control weapon (instead of the all mighty kick to the teeth) and the agony bolts are the closer we're gonna get to grenade launchers in classic RE. I'm a huge fanboy of RE4 and it's easily on my top 5 games ever, but TEW has better combat, with more challenging enemies. The one thing I couldn't stand in RE4 is how badly you could cheese the AI. Just take two steps forward towards an enemy, make him try to give you a friendly hug, back away one step and stab his head. If he's alone, he's as good as dead. If he brought some friends with him, they will all be staggered and it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Those invincibility frames trivialized a lot of encounters.

The enemies in TEW are more unpredictable and a headshot is a risky proposition: should I go for it and risk missing, wasting ammo and opening up for a lunge attack? Even if I hit it might just destroy half of his skull, thus making a second headshot harder cause the hitbox shrunk to half. The gunshot to the leg is kinda the same as in RE4. It will almost work all the time and that is a weakness they both share, but at least here you use it just to have a chance of using a match which most of the time are too valuable to waste on a single scrub enemy.

If you're talking in tech terms, then yeah. RE4 has tighter controls but it's cause it's more arcade-y, and it didn't hurt that it had better production values and bigger budget, which this game doesn't have. The combat in RE4 is nowhere as deep as in TEW, and I say that as a Mercs addicted son of a bitch. It's really easy to cheese the game even when overwhelmed. It's not as easy to do so in this game. Different strokes, I guess.

RE4 is still king, overall, but as a supposed "survival horror" experience, TEW takes RE4's cake and then some. And all I said still applies to RE4's professional difficulty, which also had the enemies do a ton more damage, while being more aggresive their stupid AI remained exploitable.

exactly my feelings. RE4 feels like an Arcade Action Game next to TEW. And With Keyboard/Mouse the movement and camera controls are imho perfect for a Third Person Game.

Oh and just one thing ... I didn't hate Chapter 11 and 12. I actually liked it for the change of things.
An open environment, more speed and action ... and introduction to the upcoming end

malfcn

On 7.
Freezing the Keeper and hitting him with explosive twice seems to not work. The second explosive just disappears.

Lucent

Man. Akumu mode really makes me tense. Def something I'd have to do a bit at a time. The added enemies and stuff in Nightmare/Akumu makes this game even more intense.

In Chapter 5 how do you defeat the
Centipede girl?
It says its allergic to fire but I shoot all the canisters and that momentarily hurts it and then it keeps chasing me so I ended up trapping it in both furnaces but even after that it keeps coming! Is there more than 1 and if so how do you beat them after you already pull the switch on both furnaces?

In Chapter 5 how do you defeat the
Centipede girl?
It says its allergic to fire but I shoot all the canisters and that momentarily hurts it and then it keeps chasing me so I ended up trapping it in both furnaces but even after that it keeps coming! Is there more than 1 and if so how do you beat them after you already pull the switch on both furnaces?

There are torches laying around that can be used, alternatively you can burn bodies on the ground as she's walking over them.

Thoughts on this - should The Evil Within have had a merchant in the game like RE4?

Might have smoothed out the feast or famine that players have with ammo and equipment. On the other hand it might make managing supplies too easy.

Absoluetly not. If it had that it wouldn't be a survival horror game. These games are supposed to be feast or famine! Didn't anyone complaining grow up with Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Clocktower, etc.?

There are torches laying around that can be used, alternatively you can burn bodies on the ground as she's walking over them.

Well I used up the torches to stall her while I pulled the switch to open up the furnace. I guess I should burn the bodies first to get extra damage on her

Mendrox

Finally got Chapter 10 finished yesterday. Also finished 11 & 12. Chapter 11 was bullshit when I had no ammo at all (where you have to ride the lift). I seriously hated this part lol. Anything else was fine so far. :) It is fun to let Hunted explode themselves

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
finished my NG+ run. this sort of game is my weakness. I might try a nightmare run over the break.

but Bayonetta 2 and Captain Toad will probably distract me for a while

Jharp

Finished the game today at 17 hours and 101 deaths, which is longer play time and more deaths than a lot of the stats I've seen people posting.

What's odd is I never had too much trouble with the chapters people outlined as being the most difficult. 6 was fine, 10 was fine,
including the boss
, which took me two attempts, and even 11 was totally fine. When it came to bosses like the
Ch. 10 boss
and the
twin keepers,
I just unloaded on them. What made the game so much easier for me was that I obsessively saved on supplies as much as possible, even going so far as to reloading checkpoints or willingly dying in order to reload checkpoints so I could do fights over and not spend as much ammunition, which likely led to both my higher play time and death count. I found environmental traps to be a bigger nuisance than enemies generally.

Also, I found Survival to be extremely well paced and balanced for being the "normal" difficulty. Was nice and challenging without seeming unfair.

A few upgrade notes from my game based on what others have been saying: I didn't upgrade crits on the pistol or shotgun until very late in the game (ch. 13ish) and even then didn't go that far down either path. I also didn't upgrade running/stamina until like Ch. 11 when I just wanted to dump points, and never felt it necessary. Not sure why everyone else seems to think it's so critical. I can see it being useful, sure, but I never had too much trouble without it. What I did upgrade was base damage for the pistol and shotgun, melee damage (utterly utterly useless) and the harpoon bolt all the way, because that shit fucking rocks. I wish I'd gone for it sooner, and recommend anyone still on the early chapters to dump all their points into that shit. It's a OHK on most haunted, and they only cost two mats to make the bolts. Also extremely useful for (ch. 5 and 10 spoilers)
slowing down Laura during the encounter with her
as well as (ch. 11 and on spoilers)
a one hit kill on the Ruvik imposter enemies

Far as health goes, I only upgraded it til lvl 3 and I saved all my medkits for the final chapters of the game. I never upgraded syringe heal amount of carrying capacity and spent a good chunk of the game at the minimum health ticker, and would just syringe up when I came across them in the environment, making sure to always have two on me for moments when I might need them.

And finally, that fucking letterboxing, I hated it at the start, and I hated it at the end. I'll admit that I got used to it, and in many ways, appreciated the claustrophobic feel it gave to certain levels. That said, there were too many times when I just couldn't see a goddamn thing, and I hate that so much of my screen real estate just went unused. It was the sole motivating factor in me selling my ps4 copy to gamestop for $40, and deciding to wait for a steam sale to pick it back up because:

2xqlg2.gif

That's so much fucking better.

jett

D-Member
Finally finished this thing. I may up some lengthier impressions later on, but this game basically hit its peak at chapter 9 and then it turned into a nonstop downward spiral of bad ideas. There's some incredibly frustrating choices here that do nothing but destroy your enjoyment of the game. So many goddamn one-hit kills. It will be a cold day in hell before I replay this game.

As disappointing as the game betraying itself near the end by turning into a shooter and becoming even nuttier than the nuttiest parts of RE5 and RE6, the story has to have been even worse. Again, first 10 chapters or so, I was really intrigued by everything. Despite some awkward acting and whatnot in the cut-scenes, I was very engaged by it all. I was into the mystery and wanted to see the payoff. But nothing gets resolved. Nothing gels together. You get no closure. There is no payoff. It ends with a total whimper of an ending. I cannot believe everything that goes on in the save room goes absolutely nowhere. The game builds up nicely, and then crumbles.

Missed potential is what this game is. Plot aside, there were way too many angering, frustrating moments in this game.

Why, man.

My final thought is that less would have been so much more with The Evil Within.

Gustaf89

Banned
welp, i just ran into a glitch, after defeating
the invisible tentacle guy on chapter 14
, i have to put some switches on an electrical board, i put them, but then sebastian just stand still and i can't move, if pause, the menu doesn't come out but the game pauses D:!

what the hell is going on?

Gustaf89

Banned
Finally finished this thing. I may up some lengthier impressions later on, but this game basically hit its peak at chapter 9 and then it turned into a nonstop downward spiral of bad ideas. There's some incredibly frustrating choices here that do nothing but destroy your enjoyment of the game. So many goddamn one-hit kills. It will be a cold day in hell before I replay this game.

As disappointing as the game betraying itself near the end by turning into a shooter and becoming even nuttier than the nuttiest parts of RE5 and RE6, the story has to have been even worse. Again, first 10 chapters or so, I was really intrigued by everything. Despite some awkward acting and whatnot in the cut-scenes, I was very engaged by it all. I was into the mystery and wanted to see the payoff. But nothing gets resolved. Nothing gels together. You get no closure. There is no payoff. It ends with a total whimper of an ending. I cannot believe everything that goes on in the save room goes absolutely nowhere. The game builds up nicely, and then crumbles.

Missed potential is what this game is. Plot aside, there were way too many angering, frustrating moments in this game.

Why, man.

My final thought is that less would have been so much more with The Evil Within.

and here i am, on chapter 14 on my second run, lol

DocSeuss

Hated this game's first few chapters. Starting to come around, but every time I do, it does something to frustrate me.

I also dislike how gore is apparently equivalent to horror to Mikami now....alien isolation was scarier and a better survival horror game imo..meh

Technically, that is horror. Sounds like what you want is terror.

I just beat the game again on Casual.. didn't die at all but when the final results came up it said I died 996 times (followed by a weird ticking noise) and then it said 0... was that like a troll by the developers? lol

Lucent

and here i am, on chapter 14 on my second run, lol

Yeah. I can't agree that it's all a downward spiral from 9. I freak'n loved Chapter 10. 11 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. 12 I probably could've done without but whatever I still had fun with the last part of it. 13 was pretty cool. 14 was back to being some pretty creepy shiz. 15 was pretty good but could've been better. I didn't really care for the
brainy arena but given the context of the game it was okay. The two keepers were easier than I thought they'd. Kinda wish they were in a cooler area. The final boss was somewhat disappointing to fight but was pretty cool. Wasn't bad having something easy to do after all the other stuff I dealt with.

But I was constantly immersed in the environments. Played the PS4 version and it was really nice looking. So much going on.

Can somebody save me 229 pages worth of impressions and give me the gist of the gaf consensus?

Or, if consensus has yet to be reached, what the major positions are as far as those who love vs those who do not?

Thanks! :D

Arklite

I might be misremembering the details of chapter 9, but generally I didn't feel it was outstanding over past chapters as some say. The setting was a nice familiar throw back for sure, but surprisingy short and straightforward. It wouldve been great for it to have had chapter 10s length instead of that one overstaying its welcome.

ryan13ts

Finally finished the game, 20:09 hours and 65 deaths (I really took my time). My opinion is still pretty much the same as my last impressions

Pros + Great atmosphere, interesting story, bizarre situations and awesome creature designs.

Cons - An absurd amount of bullshit one hit kills practically everywhere,

The game is great, but those instakills really bring the game down immensely for me. It wouldn't be so bad if there were sparsely spread out, but literally every situation you're in has insta-death, they went beyond overboard with it. I'd say 90% of those 65 deaths were from what I felt were cheap, extremely unfair deaths and the other 10% actually coming from mistakes on my part/lapse of skill.

For me, dying repeatedly and from unfair situations really takes me out of the experience and robs me of any satisfaction I usually feel from completing a difficult section. It's hard to describe, but the feeling that you get when you get through a tough, but fair area on a first try is completely absent, and I feel that's the game's biggest fault.

Also
no real final boss? WTF, I'm still scratching my head on that one. And that insta-death crap fest at the end doesn't count in my book. I felt kind of cheated by saving up all those health and ammo for what I thought would be a good final boss.

Outside those issues, I really did enjoy the game but that one major flaw held it back from being near perfect for me. Maybe if Mikami gets around to a sequel, he'll iron those problems out and make a true masterpiece.

Gustaf89

Banned
Yeah. I can't agree that it's all a downward spiral from 9. I freak'n loved Chapter 10. 11 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. 12 I probably could've done without but whatever I still had fun with the last part of it. 13 was pretty cool. 14 was back to being some pretty creepy shiz. 15 was pretty good but could've been better. I didn't really care for the
brainy arena but given the context of the game it was okay. The two keepers were easier than I thought they'd. Kinda wish they were in a cooler area. The final boss was somewhat disappointing to fight but was pretty cool. Wasn't bad having something easy to do after all the other stuff I dealt with.

But I was constantly immersed in the environments. Played the PS4 version and it was really nice looking. So much going on.

people complaining about the insta kills as well... im sorry kid but if someone put a chainsaw through your neck....

ag0A28x_700b.jpg

Bl@de

people complaining about the insta kills as well... im sorry kid but if someone put a chainsaw through your neck....
[/IMG]

yeah ... and it was the same thing in Resident Evil 4 ... I mean ... the tougher enemies were also instakills. What kills you more is bosses and evil traps. But I never thought it was unfair or something. It was always my mistake when I died. And some of the deaths are really unnerving (
Laura bashing in your head. Urgh that one was creepy. Or the Keeper impaling your face with his hammer-axe
)

I might be misremembering the details of chapter 9, but generally I didn't feel it was outstanding over past chapters as some say. The setting was a nice familiar throw back for sure, but surprisingy short and straightforward. It wouldve been great for it to have had chapter 10s length instead of that one overstaying its welcome.

The setting is all I took away from that chapter. Aside from that, there were at least 5 other chapters that blow it away in intensity, pacing, and/or encounter design. The gimmick alone pushes it to the bottom half of my chapter rankings.

And I cannot disagree more with those saying this game has better combat than RE4. More options, sure, but the polish and precision of RE4 is so far ahead of TEW on every level.

Finished it tonight with 14 hrs and 30 min and 65 deaths. Overall I enjoyed it, but man there were some moments that dragged the game down. Enemies with guns should not be put in a game such as this, they weren't as bad as in RE5, but still annoying as heck. The other problem with the game is that the quality of the chapters was all over the place. First 3 chapters were meh with 4 to 10 being great, but then chapters 11, 12 were terrible, and 13-15 were mediocre. Story ended up making no sense to me, but I didn't expect it to since there are so many plot holes.

Lucent

Know what, fuck Akumu mode for now. Chapter 2 is testing my patience too much right now. One slip up and bam. You don't have much to fight back with during that chapter so it's gonna take a lot of patience. =l

I might not even do it because you don't get anything but a trophy for it. I only care about tangible rewards in games.

Prodigal

Banned
Just finished Chapter 11...is this the toughest chapter in the game? I literally had exactly enough ammunition to finish the thing on Survival without running out.

Why, man.

I'm going to reserve judgement and finish it, but as someone who seems to have agreed with you on everything so far, I'm hoping I like the last five chapters tonight more than you did.

Ehhh... Sure, whatever you say man.

Has anyone in the history of Videogaming, ever, looked at a game and thought, "you know what would improve this? If i removed almost a 3rd of the screen and replaced it with black space"
The game looks better without them, and its pretty much confirmed the bars are only there to give a performance boost, rather than some deep artistic vision.

Lernaean

Banned
Well I used up the torches to stall her while I pulled the switch to open up the furnace. I guess I should burn the bodies first to get extra damage on her

Burn all the bodies except the middle one where she spawns, you can do so with torches, furnaces and moving barrels. Trigger her spawn, stun her once, burn the last body and the lead her to a furnace. This way she can't spawn anywhere else and she'll just die there.

Mohonky

Having just finished 20 or so hours of Alien Isolation, this really is one ugly shitty running game. Hope it is a better game that it looks.

I died way, way, WAY more times in chapters 7, 10, and 15 than 11. Chapter 11 is a cake walk aside from like two trollish enemy placements.

The first hooded haunted encounter and the shutter fight before the gondola kicked my ass to hell and back.
Cleared the encounters in 15 on my first try. Only died once or twice to 7's boss. Don't actually remember 10 much at all besides the boss lol. The smooth pacing and the way chapters run together sometimes make it difficult for me to remember which fight takes place in which chapter. Though 11 was definitely the toughest for me.

T.O.P

Banned
Only done with the first two chapter last night....this shit is tight, love it

One problem though, the mc movements can be a little awkward at times, happend two times that i tried to get near a mine for dismantling and i ended up blowing myself up...might have to get used to it though

Game looks fine on X1 anyway, didn't have any problems with the framerate (only a few seconds right at the start of the game when you get out of the car, looked weird)

The POV sucks though, way too limited imo

Spades

About to pick this game up (planning on playing through it on Halloween night) and I have a quick question: is it worth the little bit extra to get The Fighting Chance DLC - does it give you all of the items from the off?

Top Bottom