• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fuck it, ch11 rage quit, I'll do it tomorrow. Shit sucks so bad

I died there a lot too. I had to memorize what my mistakes were. That's how I got to 151 deaths. I wouldn't even take a chance, I'd die, then restart.

There were so many parts to that chapter that fueled my rage. Where are you at in it?

You aren't a lone.. When I flip through that art book and I see chapter 11 stuff I almost cringe.

HeelPower

if the DLC leave more questions than answers and then the franchise gets canned, then i will join you
i really want a sequel

I would sure love it if this becomes a consistent,lucrative series.

But I won't count on it so as not to get unnecessary heartbreaks.

That's why I am really worried about the state of the story.I hope they get to finish it.

What is it that is so bad about 11? I literally played through it again last night on the ps3 and I'm just wondering what parts of it are making it unbearable for people cause I simply don't know. Seriously. Too hard? Too confusing? To... modern?

Gustaf89

Banned
What is it that is so bad about 11? I literally played through it again last night on the ps3 and I'm just wondering what parts of it are making it unbearable for people cause I simply don't know. Seriously. Too hard? Too confusing? To... modern?

this, i don't get the hate

Andrew.

Banned

Dude you got the silver troph for killing Laura in chap 10 which the majority simply avoid til ng+ since its a pain and a waste of ammo, and you rage quit on 11? Weak sauce.

That chapter has a couple weak moments but isnt a shitstorm everyone makes it out to be. It just radically alters combat scenarios and situations. Kinda like the tail end of re4. I loved the environment change. Disaster: Day of Crisis mayne.

I thought it was pretty OK. I mean, it's challenging as SHIT but also really satisfying to nail. Graphics are kind of unappealing, though.

also, dat gondola fight is pure fucking Mikami

HeelPower

I don't why they designed chapters like this when there is chapter 3,6,9 etc.

But I found it ok really.RE4-6 had stuff like this too.

antitrop

Dude you got the silver troph for killing Laura in chap 10 which the majority simply avoid til ng+ since its a pain and a waste of ammo, and you rage quit on 11? Weak sauce.
I left off at the end of Chapter 10, I rage quit at the part in 11 where
you have to fight off waves that come from the cage in the roof through a giant metal door, after the guy pulls that lever. So many of them have guns

Between the end of 10 and all of 11, it's just been a slog of heavy, wave-based combat for like 2 hours straight and I was fed up with it.

Yuterald

Just read my thoughts a few posts up. Just to reiterate, for me, it's quantity over quality. There's WAY too many ideas rolled up into one chapter. Some ideas are better than others, but the good stuff should have been emphasized more while the "bad" stuff either cut or adjusted. There's also, at least from what I can tell, a really, really stupid design oversight, unless someone proves my question/discovery wrong. Also, a lot of the encounter design echoed RE6, which was a disaster-piece of a game, so that wasn't sitting too well with me either. Just feels completely messy, I don't know.

Lucent

I think we need something somewhere that explains how to handle chapter 9 so people aren't calling it BS and raging all the time.

Andrew.

Banned
I think we need something somewhere that explains how to handle chapter 9 so people aren't calling it BS and raging all the time.

He appears every five minutes or so. Save often and be ready to run. Take him to the main hall and just run loops up and down the steps. It ain't hard. Obviously having upgraded sprinting helps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Item spoiler for chapter 11:
is the magnum worth upgrading?

Yeah, I thought it was BS too until I realized that it's actually quite easy to deal with.

Lucent

Item spoiler for chapter 11:
is the magnum worth upgrading?

Yeah, I thought it was BS too until I realized that it's actually quite easy to deal with.

Of course! It's like the
Resident Evil magnums. It's a power house. It'll take things down easy and make each precious bullet much more worth it.

Have you played any resident evil? =P

Of course it is son. Shit wrecks house powered up.

Yeah what he said. lol

Fuck it, ch11 rage quit, I'll do it tomorrow. Shit sucks so bad

Remind me what Chapter 11 is?

Is it the part
Where you had to kill the Chainsaw guy in the small area and then have to get on that horizontal elevator thing and kill guys as your traveling who are throwing flaming bottles and shit?

Cause I quit there too a few days ago and haven't gone back. Shit was the worst.

Lucent

I had way more than that. Way more. Random drops but still. I was carrying 13 rounds at one point. Certainly those locker keys help.

That and I saw a box of them in Chapter
, but missed them because I didn't run for the jump to get across. =/

Found some in a case in Chapter
and probably another one.

Either way, it'll beat the crap out of bosses, which is what I mainly used it for in
RE games
anyway.

Andrew.

Banned
That and I saw a box of them in Chapter
, but missed them because I didn't run for the jump to get across. =/

Found some in a case in Chapter
and probably another one.

Either way, it'll beat the crap out of bosses, which is what I mainly used it for in
RE games
anyway.

Exactly. I had it pumped up to level 3 my first run and it was a beast. Knocks out those hooded fuckers in one shot! Hah!

Remind me what Chapter 11 is?

Is it the part
Where you had to kill the Chainsaw guy in the small area and then have to get on that horizontal elevator thing and kill guys as your traveling who are throwing flaming bottles and shit?

Cause I quit there too a few days ago and haven't gone back. Shit was the worst.

One shot to the leg and they immediately fall to their doom, and make use of the comically abundant flaming barrels.

I got through that first time without taking damage and I'm not even that good of a player.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

asked the same the other day, dont remember anything particulary annoying

I just didn't like the
water monster
part personally (is that Ch 11? haha i kinda forget whats what now lol)

Wow to all the ppl complaining about 1 hit kills....they obviosuly don't know how to keep moving. You can run circles around everything in this game, including 1 hit killers, bosses, teleporters etc infact you can do it right under their noses and actually delay them longer cuz they will do a slow ass lunge towards you etc.

Grisby

I left off at the end of Chapter 10, I rage quit at the part in 11 where
you have to fight off waves that come from the cage in the roof through a giant metal door, after the guy pulls that lever. So many of them have guns

Between the end of 10 and all of 11, it's just been a slog of heavy, wave-based combat for like 2 hours straight and I was fed up with it.
Not that bad, just flash them or toss a grenade up in there.

HeelPower

The swimming part in TEW was brief and pretty straightforward.

I failed maybe once or twice but it was nothing that makes me want to quit entirely.

The swimming part in TEW was brief and pretty straightforward.

I failed maybe once or twice but it was nothing that makes me want to quit entirely.

It wasn't something that made me want to quit or anything, i took it in stride, it was just one of those things i felt didnt need to be a thing, it was just time wasting and boring

Lucent

Well that game just blows chunks anyway.

lol can't agree with ya there. I thought it was really cool and fun back in the day when that was new.

It wasn't something that made me want to quit or anything, i took it in stride, it was just one of those things i felt didnt need to be a thing, it was just time wasting and boring

They were still creepy though. How their
thin hair was just floating along the water as they swam
. Looking at them in the model viewer was like wtf. lol

HeelPower

its the fact that the game can be so good in other parts that makes things like that seem so bad.

Same with all QTE-like and throwaway sequences in this game.

Andrew.

Banned
lol can't agree with ya there. I thought it was really cool and fun back in the day when that was new.

My argument is that I was 14 when it came out and i was a PC gamer. It just wasn't impressive to me. Shit on 3DO was better to me even, like fuckin Road Rash.

I'm a 2D mario lover anyway, even though I found 3D World to be utterly awesome.

Lucent

its the fact that the game can be so good in other parts that makes things like that seem so bad.

I didn't really notice any QTE stuff except showing what button you had to jam to open something, which was always X. I don't really count that since you can't mess it up. It added to the tension when you had to escape something that was hunting you down and you were just trying to get something open as fast as you could. lol

My argument is that I was 14 when it came out and i was a PC gamer. It just wasn't impressive to me. Shit on 3DO was better to me even, like fuckin Road Rash.

I'm a 2D mario lover anyway, even though I found 3D World to be utterly awesome.

Never had money to be a PC gamer back then. I actually hadn't built my first PC until around the time I got a 360. Even then I didn't really get into PC gaming much. Haven't gotten to a point yet where I can keep up with that stuff. lol. Just like to buy the hardware and be done. Don't gotta worry about if my rig can handle a game or not.

They were still creepy though. How their
thin hair was just floating along the water as they swam
. Looking at them in the model viewer was like wtf. lol

Oh i for sure liked the designs, just didn't like the way they were used haha, its all good though, like ill still replay the game multiple times and not worry about it, it definitly didnt reduce my enjoyment of the game at all

For sure, i still enjoyed the game A TON and will replay it alot, but that part just makes me sad lol

HeelPower

I didn't really notice any QTE stuff except showing what button you had to jam to open something, which was always X. I don't really count that since you can't mess it up. It added to the tension when you had to escape something that was hunting you down and you were just trying to get something open as fast as you could. lol

They weren't exactly QTE per se ,but I just mean sections in the game where you just had to do that one cinematic thing in the game and there isn't much replay value or meaningful purpose behind it other than looking cool.

Arklite

Aside from a completely random first appearance, the only time he came back for me was if I kicked open doors. I ended up thinking his appearance was purely based on noise (aside from gunshots, but everything 15 feet away seems to be deaf).

Lucent

Aside from a completely random first appearance, the only time he came back for me was if I kicked open doors. I ended up thinking his appearance was purely based on noise (aside from gunshots, but everything 15 feet away seems to be deaf).

lol. The haunted that were eating a body in one room ignored a bottle I threw right next to them and was like "wtf?" so I threw a bottle at one and that got its attention. Sometimes that bottle distraction doesn't work very well.

HeelPower

For sure, i still enjoyed the game A TON and will replay it alot, but that part just makes me sad lol

I immediately felt like replaying after the
unlocks at the end.

lol. The haunted that were eating a body in one room ignored a bottle I threw right next to them and was like "wtf?" so I threw a bottle at one and that got its attention. Sometimes that bottle distraction doesn't work very well.

Once I threw a bottle and the guy came straight at me.

I definitely wasn't in his field of view.He just came to me for whatever reason.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If there's one thing that shines through in Mikami games, it's pacing and encounter design. The guy knows his shit and manages to output long games that have a ton of memorable encounters and moments, so with that said it's a shame that the game is held back by elements that don't seem too hard to fix. The tech end drags some parts down, with a spotty as hell framerate and a general unpolished feel with some of the animations, the more wonky ones being Sebastian trying to melee a small box at his knee and somehow busting it without going into contact with it despite there being a stomp, and the more gameplay affecting thing of the weird strictness regarding button prompts. Picking up ammo, trying to drop a match on an enemy, etc. can sometimes not show the button unless the camera is angled right which can get annoying if it leads to you getting hit. If they dropped an RE6-style patch that gave a lot of tweaks to the FoV I would appreciate it, especially if it extended into the actually aiming so I could pull it back more traditionally as the super zoom really feels like a last minute change in the end. There are also some ugly spots, mainly chapter 11 onward, that focused more on city environments that didn't look too good in the engine. Especially shown when crossing over rubble as those textures were rough, but from the start they weren't working with a great engine. In general(and somehow ignoring the framerate) I really liked the look of the game, and the art team knocked it out of the damn park. They need to all be lined up and given a raise, then a raise on top of that, for the great environmental and enemy work in here. I loved how twisted some of the common Haunted could look.

But, more importantly, god DAMN does the hit feedback in this game rock. It seriously never gets old to just rip a chunk of someone's head off and see them still come after you, and the actual pops shooting blood everywhere are great too. Traps being thrown into the mix lead for some clever moments of using them to your advantage, and stealth was...eh. I still think the game gets off on a really strange foot as it serves mostly as a tutorial, and a big piece of it is relating to stealth which didn't seem like a very viable means of tackling an encounter for the most part, when so many later chapters just being the typical sort of fight setup where enemies always know where you are. The puzzles were decent enough pace breakers, though none of them are even remotely difficult and there aren't very many in retrospect. And while not a puzzle, I liked the setup in chapter 7 & 9 to basically give you an endgoal to work towards while having different paths to go down to get it done, I would like to see the DLC use this again. That said, I do agree with a lot of the frustration 9 could cause
with Ruvik showing up. I get the cue and how to avoid his teleport(by staying somewhat close), but it seems counter intuitive to actually not just run as far away as fast as you can in an encounter like that. Further than that, I think they could have done something more interesting aside from a simple instant death. Ruvik is all about fucking with people, and given what happens when he shows up here with the blue lighting, wouldn't it be more fun if he caught you and just made some level twisting shit happen? Like the room stretches out in all directions and becomes littered with randomized traps(ala that tripwire filled one) and enemies. This gives the player an out, would give variety and a unique twang to each room if you get caught and also wouldn't be as frustrating, yet still serve as a punishment for being caught.

On the story end, it had potential but doesn't stick a lot of the necessary pieces. It takes way too long to really shed light on anything, and by the end there are so many questions you can't really read any singular theory and go "oh, now it all makes sense". It's likely the Kidman chapters will flesh out some aspects there, but I'm never really a fan of needing supplemental content to actually fundamentally understand the plot.

Still, even if I have issues with the game I still really enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay and want to try out Nightmare since I'm a sucker for harder modes with actual thought put into them regarding remixed enemy encounters. While I don't think this is an instant classic like RE4, I do dig it a lot and expect it to be looked back on favorably in a few years. Hopefully Bethesda's next engine isn't a crockpot of shit.

My chapter rankings:

Chapter 5
Chapter 10
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 14
Chapter 11
Chapter 15
Chapter 3
Chapter 13
Chapter 4