• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The first hooded haunted encounter and the shutter fight before the gondola kicked my ass to hell and back.
Cleared the encounters in 15 on my first try. Only died once or twice to 7's boss. Don't actually remember 10 much at all besides the boss lol. The smooth pacing and the way chapters run together sometimes make it difficult for me to remember which fight takes place in which chapter. Though 11 was definitely the toughest for me.

The first hooded haunted made me think "fuck my life" but I actually ran around like a headless chicken trying to focus on him and found out ever other enemy dies when he drops, so it's not too bad.

The first hooded haunted encounter and the shutter fight before the gondola kicked my ass to hell and back.
Cleared the encounters in 15 on my first try. Only died once or twice to 7's boss. Don't actually remember 10 much at all besides the boss lol. The smooth pacing and the way chapters run together sometimes make it difficult for me to remember which fight takes place in which chapter. Though 11 was definitely the toughest for me.

Chapter 7:
Being idiotic against The Keeper got me killed many times

Chapter 10:
Running from Laura in those tight hallways was more of a boss fight against the FoV than her. Got killed a lot because I simply couldn't read my surroundings fast enough to either stop her with the pipe switches or see her, period. Incredible number of deaths. Probably 1/3 of my total deaths were in that spot.

Chapter 15:
I kept getting stuck on geometry in the chase set piece. Like 5 or 7 times in total which led to near immediete deaths because you have to be perfect through those sections. Completely put a damper on what was already a flat chapter IMO. The big arena encounter wasn't very good either, though I didn't have much trouble with it. The double Keepers were easy, and I didn't even realize you could leave the room they spawned in.

Chapter 11 though? I died like 3 times.
Once to Fake Ruvik who got me with the instakill ranged attack because I was stuck on a car or something, once to the water monster thing because I screwed up my timing, and once during the encounter when enemies kept coming out of the gate because I didn't realize so many of them would have firearms + dynamite.

tuna_love

Banned
About to pick this game up (planning on playing through it on Halloween night) and I have a quick question: is it worth the little bit extra to get The Fighting Chance DLC - does it give you all of the items from the off?
Chapter 3. I don't Think its worth it

Hoping to do some more of this later on today, babysitting right now.

I just defeated the big boss in the underground parking garage in chapter 10.

aravuus

Yeah, I literally just figured that out. You know, the game doesn't do a very good job of presenting things like this. I think the first two times it happened there was also significant texture pop-in and none of the characters reacted this new threat.

Good game but it is definitely rough.

Uh, you see an enemy that bursts in and suddenly goes invisible, how is that not obvious enough? Sorry man but I think this one's on you.

I've seen a couple of design complaints that make no sense and sound like the players are just mad that they couldn't figure out what they were doing wrong and needed something to blame other than themselves.

remz

Uh, you see an enemy that bursts in and suddenly goes invisible, how is that not obvious enough? Sorry man but I think this one's on you.

Also there's a bunch of cues that there's an invisible enemy around. They bump into tables/wheelchairs and I'm pretty sure you can see their steps in water. A lot of the enemy/area design rewards you for paying attention and being resourceful

so, after overhyping TEW a lot i'm finally playing it(on a low/midrange laptop, and performance is way better than what I expected).

I just started chapter 6, but i realised I'm not really enjoing the game due to the too many one hit deaths and excessive trial & error. I am thinking about going back to the easiest difficulty setting...would that change things for me?

Lord Phol

I'm at Chapter 9 and so far I've been quite lucky having only experienced a few deaths and one hit kills. Most deaths have been "self-inflicted" because I felt like I screwed up too much and wanted to re-run that particular part or just failing to defuse a bomb :p. I've killed all bosses so far on my first try except
Doggie

Only real annoyance was in Chapter 6
when babysitting Joseph
. Might be more later but so far I've done pretty well and am enjoying the game. I feel like I'm doing everything right somehow just by instinct and being careful. If everything fails running away for a few seconds usuallly gives me enough time to try to come up with a solution.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I'm at Chapter 9 and so far I've been quite lucky having only experienced a few deaths and one hit kills. Most deaths have been "self-inflicted" because I felt like I screwed up too much and wanted to re-run that particular part or just failing to defuse a bomb :p. I've killed all bosses so far on my first try except
Doggie

Only real annoyance was in Chapter 5
when babysitting Joseph
. Might be more later but so far I've done pretty well and am enjoying the game. I feel like I'm doing everything right somehow just by instinct and being careful. If everything fails running away for a few seconds usuallly gives me enough time to try to come up with a solution.

joseph is basically a tank with an axe. i felt like he was babysitting me!

Feindflug

Yesterday I completed chapter 11 & 12. I must be weird but I enjoyed both chapters, even in these two where
the action is more pronounced
the pacing, ideas and combat scenarios that are put into them are great and keep you on your toes about what is coming next. In terms of pacing, diversity, combat/encounter scenarios this game is simply unmatched.

I really appreciate Bethesda's choice to support games like The Evil Within and Wolfenstein: TNO. <3

Damn, just saw that The Evil Within was #1 in the UK.

Tango deserves it, what an incredible game.

Can't wait to see sales numbers. Apart from some technical hiccups, this is a masterpiece. All the hype I had for the game was totally worth it.

I'm at Chapter 10 but jesus the design, gameplay mechanics, the flow, the presentation, the amazing art direction and character/monster design, etc. I love this freakin' game.

Ricker

Speaking of sales and stuff like that,I have been wondering for a while now about the trophies on PSN...when you go see them you have the whole Rare,Common,Ultra Rare thing going on...what does this compare to...? my Friendlist only?,my location,my Country or what...? because this is the first game I am seeing some Ultra rare trophies I got and most of them come from chapter 5 and on...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chapter 7 was very, very good and made up for Chapter 6.

Lord Phol

joseph is basically a tank with an axe. i felt like he was babysitting me!

Haha yeah he's quite handy in actual combat! The majority of the chapter was great, just didn't like the beginning with the infinite spawning enemies in a tight area, and having to redo the whole thing when you died :p.

Also I was wrong, it was Chapter 6 not 5!

so, after overhyping TEW a lot i'm finally playing it(on a low/midrange laptop, and performance is way better than what I expected).

I just started chapter 6, but i realised I'm not really enjoing the game due to the too many one hit deaths and excessive trial & error. I am thinking about going back to the easiest difficulty setting...would that change things for me?

The easiest difficulty is a no go for me because it adds some kind of auto aim.

vg260

This game is terrible for my OCD tendencies when it comes to conserving inventory. I keep re-saving/reloading from save points just so I stealth-kill the zombies and don't use up any inventory and take no damage. Seems like it defeats the purpose of the fun, but I'm too afraid to waste inventory. Gonna take me years to finish at this rate. Hopefully the limited resources thing was exaggerated and as long as you're not firing like crazy, there's plenty of ammo. Not really sure what to upgrade. So far I've just upgraded match, pistol ammo, and syringe stock to the first level.

-MD-

This game is terrible for my OCD tendencies when it comes to conserving inventory. I keep re-saving/reloading from save points just so I stealth-kill the zombies and don't use up any inventory and take no damage. Seems like it defeats the purpose of the fun, but I'm too afraid to waste inventory. Gonna take me years to finish at this rate. Hopefully the limited resources thing was exaggerated and as long as you're not firing like crazy, there's plenty of ammo. Not really sure what to upgrade. So far I've just upgraded match, pistol ammo, and syringe stock to the first level.

Putting 1-2 points in stock for basically everything seems a wise idea, anything past that seems a waste to me on survival at least.

Syringe effectiveness is a great thing to invest in, 1-2 points into sprint. Pistol crit is also excellent.

Jharp

Ehhh... Sure, whatever you say man.

How the hell does it not look better?

Also, options are always important. I'll never understand why developers don't give us OPTIONS. Some people like the letterbox? Great, let em have it. Others don't? Let them not have it. That fucking simple.

It's the same issue with controls in console games. Why am I selecting from preset configs instead of just setting it how I want it? Oddly enough, Bethesda actually has done this for the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, but almost no other console games do.

GIVE US FUCKING OPTIONS.

Grisby

Not the 1 hit deaths. It might free you up for more experimenting though.

vg260

Putting 1-2 points in stock for basically everything seems a wise idea, anything past that seems a waste to me on survival at least.

Syringe effectiveness is a great thing to invest in, 1-2 points into sprint. Pistol crit is also excellent.

Cool. Thanks.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
The narrow FOV bothers me a lot more than I thought it would. Honestly, while the game's alright I suppose, I'm damn far from impressed five chapters in.

Beat the game last night.

Overall, I found it to be a really good survival horror game. It's not particularly inventive and I don't believe it's another "Mikami masterpiece", but I wholeheartedly enjoyed it. My total running time was slightly longer than my first playthrough of RE4 ~10 years ago, but I felt that this game was much better paced; I became tired of that game's repetition midway through the Castle, but never got that feeling here.

The story ended on a whimper. They don't have to explain everything, and I wouldn't want them to, but I'm really left a bit empty. It stinks of "Buy the DLC!"

Also, while I found most of the game's boss fights to be excellent, that final boss was
incredibly weak. Cool sequence, but incredibly easy and pretty lame to end with a turret sequence. Way too reminiscent of RE5's crappy boss fights. I also hate when I save my magnum ammo for the final boss of a game, and then the last boss doesn't make you use any of your own ammo. Certainly would have made the last sequence against the two Keepers a whole lot easier if I knew to use my magnum rounds then.

I'll definitely be doing a few New Game+ runs at some point. I missed about 9 or so map fragments, and a couple of files. Plus I want to keep upgrading the shit out of Sebastian.

This game wasn't everything I wanted, but it hit most of the right notes for me. With better storytelling and a better script to match the craziness going on, this certainly could have been a classic. In the end, it settled for really, really good, and that's OK by me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just finished 11, chapter 9&10 were far more irritating imo. Right now there are far too many 1-hit kills in this game, it's wrecking the pacing.

I'm planning on upgrading my
magnum
for bosses from here on out, RE-style. Is this a good idea?

Dereck

I did not realize that a not-dead zombie will only get up if you aren't sneaking. So if I'm not sneaking, and I try to light a not-dead zombie on fire, it will get up, is that true?

I'm referring to that part in Chapter
14 with the jerk faces on the train, and the three zombies asleep in the water.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
don't you need to keep "killing" him for the next stage to trigger? oh well, I can't have the fucker walking while I'm lost in that foggy maze, I had to put him down everytime :/

You need to twice. It's not too bad if you figure out the layout of the arena.

-MD-

don't you need to keep "killing" him for the next stage to trigger? oh well, I can't have the fucker walking while I'm lost in that foggy maze, I had to put him down everytime :/

Hmm,
been a few days since that level but I largely remember just freezing him and turning cranks.

antitrop

Hmm,
been a few days since that level but I largely remember just freezing him and turning cranks.

My harpoons were upgraded to level 4, so he went down in 2, I spent an hour disarming his traps and crafting more harpoons to farm the 1k green gel he drops when you down him. Once you turn the 3rd valve, the gas disappears forever and you can farm until you run out of crafting supplies. I got up to 30k gel.

Jharp

The first time he pops up, no,
you only have to kill him in order to open the door. Once the door's open, you're golden, and can just play keep away until, if I remember correctly, you fix the last crank. Then you have to kill him again and you're done.

During your second encounter,
you again have to kill him twice to progress by opening the exit

And in the last encounter,
you fight two and just kill both. Not sure if they respawn because I killed them one right after the other, but that'd be pretty shitty if you had to kill one in a certain amount of time before the other shows back up.

AkuMifune

Banned
Overall, I thought the bosses were pretty disappointing in this game. None of them were particularly memorable, in my opinion.

I will refrain from posting a pithy .gif, but I honestly think the enemy design and bosses were really cool. Especially
Safe Head and Spider Lady
though the one thing I'll say is that Mikami knew they were so cool he maybe overused them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Up to chapter 10 I was so into this game.Now I just started chapter 12 and the passion is gone.

I'm in the exact same spot and I feel the same. Hope it picks up

spookyfish

THIS is what I wanted from Resident Evil post 4 ... I'm really enjoying this.

Hate the black bars, though. Was that an aesthetic choice, or was it a performance choice? I guess it kind of works, though. I feel my vision is obscured when I crouch, which may be the intent.

Dereck

The only gripe I have with this game is the constant zombie grinding especially when I lack the resources to do so amicably.

Top Bottom