• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, you see an enemy that bursts in and suddenly goes invisible, how is that not obvious enough? Sorry man but I think this one's on you.

I've seen a couple of design complaints that make no sense and sound like the players are just mad that they couldn't figure out what they were doing wrong and needed something to blame other than themselves.
I watched that cutscene four times a row and the door just opens and you see no enemy whatsoever. The game absolutely one hundred percent did not show an enemy burst through the door and go invisible. I even completely powered down my ps4 and rebooted. That moment is right after a save point.

Also, why are you reducing this discussion to blame? That's pretty rude.
The game, as a matter of fact, is rough as hell around the edges. That is indisputable.

Sanctuary

Only real annoyance was in Chapter 6
when babysitting Joseph
. Might be more later but so far I've done pretty well and am enjoying the game. I feel like I'm doing everything right somehow just by instinct and being careful. If everything fails running away for a few seconds usuallly gives me enough time to try to come up with a solution.

Not sure which section of that chapter your're talking about; the first, or the second that's much larger. The first can be somewhat annoying, while I'm at a loss on the second since
he can conserve you massive amounts of ammo. Also, in Akumu (one-hit and you die) difficulty, you can just park him at the top of the ladder directly to the right of where you picked up the sniper rifle and he will go to town on the enemy waves, leaving you corpses to light as the next enemy climbs up too. You only occasionally need to help him out here.
I can see why it could be somewhat annoying your first time there, but even then it shouldn't be that bad.

The only gripe I have with this game is the constant zombie grinding especially when I lack the resources to do so amicably.

What does this even mean? Aside from a few sections on two or three chapters, you don't even need resources to take them out. And there's no "grinding" in this game aside from something you can do during one particular event. It doesn't have random and unlimited spawns.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh last night I read more of Sebastians diary. I called him a douche last time because he was checking Myra's ass out, but now he's brooding and in love with her! And she got injured! And he has to tell her how he feels!

Just finished Ch.7

Twas good times :)

Only died a couple times and figured out pretty damn quickly to not waste too much ammo on him other than to create distance. Loving that the boss fights thus far are more just puzzles rather than raw damage output ala Code Veronica or something

Also, throughout the game thus far, ive found Sebastian's line delivery excellent :)

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
Just finished the game on survival 15 hours and 18 minutes with 104 deaths.

Great game. Taking a little break from it for a few days then its on to Akumu.

Ooccoo

This game is pretty disappointing. It could have been so much better.

Chapter 10 is the best example I can think of why this game sucks. The bosses are cheap and you have the mobility of a tank so you can never dodge the attacks. I'm playing on Survival and it seems almost impossible. I don't mind a challenge, but when the game mechanics are in the way it leaves me pretty sour.

Also the game should have been a glorified Chapter 9 and forget about all the other paranormal crap. This chapter was painful because once it was over I wanted more, to me it was pretty close to the feeling of REmake. But most chapters are <1 hour so yea.

The Evil Within is an average game overall IMO.

Dereck

What does this even mean? Aside from a few sections on two or three chapters, you don't even need resources to take them out. And there's no "grinding" in this game aside from something you can do during one particular event. It doesn't have random and unlimited spawns.
I think it means that I'm probably just not very good at this game.

EDIT: Grind was the wrong word, sorry.

Whenever I encounter a zombie post chapter 11, my resources feel extremely limited, like 5 sniper bullets, a grenade, and 2 matches. There is usually more than one zombie around, and they have guns/dynamite. Now, I've been able to deal with the zombies, but what I mean is that it's always barely. I barely got past this wave of zombies because when I was scraping every nook and cranny for ammo, all I found was 2 bullets for my handgun and a bunch of brain juice.

Ateron

Putting 1-2 points in stock for basically everything seems a wise idea, anything past that seems a waste to me on survival at least.

Syringe effectiveness is a great thing to invest in, 1-2 points into sprint. Pistol crit is also excellent.

I wouldn't say it's a waste..After lvl 3 and onwards, I started receiving more revolver bullets from regular enemies. Instead of 1-2 I would get 3-4. Maybe it's related to your current max capacity rather than the number of bullets you currently own, which is a weird choice, but it is what it is. This happened in my playthrough at least. The more capacity upgrades I made, the more bullets would show.

Jingo

I didnt play this game yet, but can anyone tell me why there´s so much people complaining about the clunky controls ruins the experience, but when they talk about resident evil remaster new controls, they say their gonna play it with old tank controls cause thats the true experience..

Seriously its not a critic, just trying to understand whats going on their heads.

Ateron

And goddamn at that gif where they show the differences between black bars on/off.

Not hating the game for having those, but we all know these consoles could have handled the game without them. Artistic reasons aside (I'm on the "I don't really believe they're there just for that, but") I think the game looks and plays better without them. Unfortunately will never be able to experience it on ps4.

The game looks beautiful at times (great art direction, mostly) and the lighting is very well implemented, but I struggle to see how is it possible that the ps4 cannot render this cross gen game without those bars at a rock solid 30fps. If this was a Ubi game(or some other huge Dev with deep pockets) I would tear them a new one, but since it's a small studio with people I respect and admire who did their best with the resources they were given, I let it slide. But damn, it would be amazing if they released a patch to fiddle with that, like Capcom did with RE6.

I had almost forgot about this whole black bars situation until I saw that comparison. Damnit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I didnt play this game yet, but can anyone tell me why there´s so much people complaining about the clunky controls ruins the experience, but when they talk about resident evil remaster new controls, they say their gonna play it with old tank controls cause thats the true experience..

Seriously its not a critic, just trying to understand whats going on their heads.

Resident Evil's controls have been called clunky for a different reason, I think, than TEW's are called clunky. RE is "clunky" for some because the character moves in a rigid and inflexible way. However, they also move in a precise and responsive way. TEW's issue is that movement feels sloppy and less precise, despite offering much more freedom of movement than traditional RE tank controls and character movement. So some people might refer to that as "clunky" but it's arguably a different kind of clunky for each game.

Basically professional critics shouldn't use the word "clunky" and folks posting their opinions here should try to avoid it, too, because it's insufficiently descriptive.

People like to talk about the bosses and I wanted to add my two cents.

I found them all very awesome. I also think while they can be tough with the one hit kills, and the trial and error gameplay in some, they have a very old feel to them. Good or bad that may be to some folks. As for the variation in how you tackle them, I thought it was good enough. Even in most survival horror games of yester years you just ran around the room and shot at them till they died, avoiding their hits in the process. In TEW a lot of them have either a pattern or something you have to do to proceed like a puzzle. I felt it very fitting.

jett

D-Member
There is really only one thing that this game nails, and that's atmosphere. It's a genuinely creepy, intense and unnerving experience. I've always found RE a bit on the cheesy side, so I was genuinely surprised that Mikami could pull this off pretty much effortlessly. It unfortunately loses its way in Chapter 11, forcing itself to play like more standard third-person shooter, which doesn't work for me for a multitude of years. For over 10 hours this game has been training me to play stealthly, methodically and to conserve my ammo. That all goes out of the window when it decides to shove 20 enemies one after another, among other things. This game did not need this at all. I also would say it wears out its welcome. For its genre it's a lengthy game, 15+ hours, and it really becomes a tiresome experience somewhere down the road.

There are parts that are absolutely amazing, when the fright moments are effective this game is 100% on point. But often it's let down by the inexplicable amount of one-hit-kills in the game. I imagine it's supposed to keep you on your toes, but when you have to replay the same 15+ minute segments over and over due to this contrived bullshit it stops becoming unnerving, scary or enjoyable at all. It becomes a miserable experience. The fire rooms in Chapter 10 is where everything came crashing down for me. I must've spent over an hour in there doing the same thing ad nauseam, thanks to a mix of at times clunky controls, cheap boss attacks, a cramped camera and unclear objectives. It pretty much negatively colored the entire game for me, and even after I had gotten past that point I just never enjoyed the game again like I did before. It's happened before in other games to me, like Killzone 2's final boss, a thing so awfully designed it just made me hate the entire game.

Speaking of somewhat clunky controls, one of the absolutely worst things a game can have is unreliable mechanics. Case in point, stabbing people in the back. Usually a one-hit-kill on enemies, you sneak up behind them, and you stab them in the back. But it's an iffy sort of thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes the enemy will know you're behind them, fucking you over. Particularly annoying is when it suddenly stops working for an enemy class that looks pretty much identical to previous enemies. Also, you you can sneak up on enemies without crouching, but to enable the sneak kill you must crouch at the last second. What? Why? This is just poor design. It's annoying because the crouch speed is super slow. It just doesn't feel right. During the sneak kill, the camera also locks in place for as long as it lasts. More unneeded annoyance.

Speaking of unreliability, often you don't know what can cause enemies to spot you. This sort of business can pretty much erase 10-15 minutes of careful gaming and careful planning. Sometimes a gunshot moderately away will cause an enemy to come by running, but other times a gunshot right near the dude will unfaze him. Their cone of vision seems variable at times as well. It's just strange. This is not the sort of thing you want in a stealth game. Couple this with cheap one-heat-kills (even on regular enemies) and it can easily become and incredibly frustrating experience really quick.

The highs are really high. The imagery and overall visual design of TEW is absolutely fantastic and the closer we've gotten to another Silent Hill. But the lows are also really low, filled with cheap enemy tactics and frustrating situations. The story is also unfortunately part of this quality rollercoaster. It starts out a bit muddled and confused, but soon you become engrossed and intrigued in the mystery of the game. You don't know what's going on, but you want to figure it out. Mild endgame commentary:
Well, unfortunately, by the end many story threads are left unresolved, plot holes are left open and you're left with a massive sense of unsatisfaction. It also gets Resident Evil 6-levels of crazy at points, and it does no benefit to the experience.

This seems like a half-baked game to me that could've used more time in the oven to iron out the many quirks it had, and also a strong hand in the cutting room to edit out the inferior sections that honestly betray what had come before.

I'm unsure if I would recommend it myself, if you're a survival horror fan and a Mikami fan you'll get it no matter what, but be prepared for an uneven experience. If only the more frustrating aspects of the game's design could be removed, patched, or fixed, then it'd be unabashedly great, even with the uneven story and the shooter-heavy chapters. As it is, it went from a flawed game I really enjoyed to something I completed just to be done with it.

I found them all very awesome. I also think while they can be tough with the one hit kills, and the trial and error gameplay in some, they have a very old feel to them. Good or bad that may be to some folks. As for the variation in how you tackle them, I thought it was good enough. Even in most survival horror games of yester years you just ran around the room and shot at them till they died, avoiding their hits in the process. In TEW a lot of them have either a pattern or something you have to do to proceed like a puzzle. I felt it very fitting.

I agree with this, minus the bosses in chapter
and the end boss in
. I found the first pretty annoying, and mainly because he kept killing me when I had already been knocked down. I never had a chance to recover. And the part where
the parking garage gets all purple and the boss charges at you in 11
was a little frustrating. I had a lot of trouble with that boss. The rest of the bosses were really good, and felt really old school, which I loved!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It really does pick up again in chapter 13. Chapter 11/12 aren't quite as bad as they are made out, though if they are gonna throw so many enemies at you they should temporarily increase ammo drops. I was stocked up on ammo going into the chapter and had nothing by the end. Ch. 12 was short and fun.

Nibel

Successfully finished my sub-5h run. :)

Man, I really like this game more than before. Once you get a feeling for the game - how enemies behave, when stealth works, how to combine certain bolts with each other, how to use matches to combo-kill enemies, getting a sense for the pacing, how hit detection works etc. - this is a blast to play. Especially NG+, it's like taking revenge against the game and its enemies.

And I think my favorite part is the entire design of the world and its inhabitants; there almost no games that explain why enemies look like they look like and why they behave how they behave like The Evil Within does. It all makes sense and compared to other weaker components of the game this is masterfully done. Makes it a shame that the main characters pale in comparison.

I mean, once you've finished the game and learn that
everything basically went down inside Ruvik's head, even all the gamey things like the big door closing in chapter 3 without showing who or what is responsible make sense in that setting. It is a SHAME that Bethesda decided to spoil the biggest plotpoint in one of their fucking trailers.
Really looking forward to the season pass now.

-MD-

Just played through the back half of chapter 11 and all of 12.

1607d1.gif

I wouldn't say it's a waste..After lvl 3 and onwards, I started receiving more revolver bullets from regular enemies. Instead of 1-2 I would get 3-4. Maybe it's related to your current max capacity rather than the number of bullets you currently own, which is a weird choice, but it is what it is. This happened in my playthrough at least. The more capacity upgrades I made, the more bullets would show.

Can anyone confirm this? That'd make sense because none of my stock are past level 3 and I rarely if ever find more than 1-3 bullets.

Sanctuary

Can you imagine the chapter 6
wolf that lunges everywhere and runs into the bushes while traps are all over the ground
boss without getting hit once? Me neither, but that's what I'm currently stuck on. Doesn't even feel like there's actually anything to learn here either and that it's entirely random.

So wait, you haven't finished the game yet?

wolf that lunges everywhere and runs into the bushes while traps are all over the ground
boss without getting hit once? Me neither, but that's what I'm currently stuck on. Doesn't even feel like there's actually anything to learn here either and that it's entirely random.
Just shoot it with the rifle or anything really when it lunges, you'll knock it over.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

So wait, you haven't finished the game yet?

That sounds like hell. Can't imagine what Ch. 11/12 would be like.

This seems like a half-baked game to me that could've used more time in the oven to iron out the many quirks it had, and also a strong hand in the cutting room to edit out the inferior sections that honestly betray what had come before.

I'm unsure if I would recommend it myself, if you're a survival horror fan and a Mikami fan you'll get it no matter what, but be prepared for an uneven experience. If only the more frustrating aspects of the game's design could be removed, patched, or fixed, then it'd be unabashedly great, even with the uneven story and the shooter-heavy chapters. As it is, it went from a flawed game I really enjoyed to something I completed just to be done with it.

Largely agree though I wouldn't be so critical, chapters 1-10 are an amazing whole imo and alone worth the buy. Feels like they didnt have time to polish the rest.

Its strange because chapters 11-12, and 13 if i remember right, feels very disconnected and tacked on sort of, still got some good parts but overall not on the same level, and then it kinda resumes once your past them. And its a very obvious seam to. I doubt it will happen but they should patch it and fix the flaws in the future as a dlc or something, would actually be willing to pay for that. Like a directors cut, definitive edition thing.

jaosobno

Why did I waste so much ammo on that
spider like woman, you can't even kill her
! Also, what's the best way to detect invisible enemies? They keep jumping me.

jett

D-Member
Largely agree though I wouldn't be so critical, chapters 1-10 are an amazing whole imo and alone worth the buy. Feels like they didnt have time to polish the rest.

Its strange because chapters 11-12, and 13 if i remember right, feels very disconnected and tacked on sort of, still got some good parts but overall not on the same level, and then it kinda resumes once your past them. And its a very obvious seam to. I doubt it will happen but they should patch it and fix the flaws in the future as a dlc or something, would actually be willing to pay for that.

Maybe I was too harsh in my overall assessment. I forgot to mention the gunplay is really solid and the headshots are deliciously crunchy. I was really was having quite an enjoyable time until the end of Chapter 10.

Trial and error, my man. You can use the crossbow as a laser pointer, and if it stops midway in the air then it means there's a dude in front of you.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Seriously, considering the cramped corridors and tendency to let enemies sneak up quite close, shouldn't the melee and camera be a bit more adjusted to that? It seems like be almost impossible to beat an enemy down. If it's not because the camera makes it impossible, then it's because they can take a million punches. Hell, sometimes it's even impossible to hit them with the gun – at least with accuracy down on level one or two.

-MD-

Seriously, considering the cramped corridors and tendency to let enemies sneak up quite close, shouldn't the melee and camera be a bit more adjusted to that? It seems like be almost impossible to beat an enemy down. If it's not because the camera makes it impossible, then it's because they can take a million punches. Hell, sometimes it's even impossible to hit them with the gun – at least with accuracy down on level one or two.

Melee is indeed super weak in this game, it's mostly to knock something off of you long enough to retreat.

jett

D-Member
Seriously, considering the cramped corridors and tendency to let enemies sneak up quite close, shouldn't the melee and camera be a bit more adjusted to that? It seems like be almost impossible to beat an enemy down. If it's not because the camera makes it impossible, then it's because they can take a million punches. Hell, sometimes it's even impossible to hit them with the gun &#8211; at least with accuracy down on level one or two.

Melee is like stupid weak, it's not viable as an offensive or defensive mechanism, even powered up. It's useless. And I agree that it can be quite hard to hit enemies, they almost seem like they dance around. It reminds of Uncharted 1. IMO I would've done away with the TLOU-like gun sway upgrade route and just offer a single standard aiming. That sort of thing just doesn't work here for two reasons: enemies take multiple shots to the head to down, and they have no sense of self-preservation at all.

I thought you had to get a direct hit in the face/eye in order for it to fall over.... No?
Yea I think so. I shot it in the face with the rifle and it fell over every time. I am playing with a good FOV now so maybe that had something to do with it.

But yea, rifle then Freeze bolts, shotgun it and repeat if needed.

Ateron

1607d1.gif

Can anyone confirm this? That'd make sense because none of my stock are past level 3 and I rarely if ever find more than 1-3 bullets.

I'm not saying it's confirmed, but it happened to me. Every single weapon I upgraded past lvl 3, I started finding more ammo. It really doesn't make sense to be able to carry 50 revolver rounds if the game never gives enough to begin with. But with that maxed, there were a lot of a times I was hovering at 30~35 rounds most of the time, and that with me using the revolver mainly. Trying to upgrade the
super-awesome-magnum
to see if regular enemies drop ammo for that mother.So yeah, I would second that request.

If someone could confirm this it might be helpful for others. I did it mainly because it really irks me when I have to move on and leave 4 shotgun shells behind, so I started upgrading my inventory capacity just to avoid that. I'm a greedy son of a bitch

Andrew.

Banned
Trial and error, my man. You can use the crossbow as a laser pointer, and if it stops midway in the air then it means there's a dude in front of you.

Uh, no. Come on Jett. No wonder you dislike so much about this game. You arent even playing some of it right. Experiment around.

Fire a flash bolt in the vicinity of an invisible guy and he immediatley is shown. You then crouch right up to him and stab him for a one hit kill. No gun ammo needed.

jett

D-Member
Uh, no. Come on Jett. No wonder you dislike so much about this game. You arent even playing some of it right. Experiment around.

Fire a flash bolt in the vicinity of an invisible guy and he immediatley is shown. You then crouch right up to him and stab him for a one hit kill. No gun ammo needed.

I guess I forgot about the flash bolts at the time. :p The enemy type disappears in the second half of the game, anyway.

Riposte

This is what I figured out during the hospital chapter where they throw a few at you. Flash bolts are pretty good for how cheap they are to make.

BTW, what does "standard third-person shooter" mean in this context?

Sanctuary

I thought you had to get a direct hit in the face/eye in order for it to fall over.... No?

No, but even so the high flying jump isn't even the problem since that move isn't the primary offense anyway. It's the bulldozer charge that changes direction when you try going to the side. You can't knock it over when it's doing that aside from hitting it with
an explosive bolt, but good luck with it not flying through the boss' hurtbox even when it's lined up correctly.

Ateron

I guess I forgot about the flash bolts at the time. :p The enemy type disappears in the second half of the game, anyway.

Flash bolt is your friend throughout the game. I would argue it's probably the best to upgrade as soon as you can. General combat strategy spoiler, for those who don't want to know :
Upgrade it until it lasts at least 10 secs, and you will be able to stealth kill 2-3 enemies at a time when they're together, saving ammo and matches - stealth killed enemies don't come back to life

Regular harpoon+5 is god tier as well, but will trivialize some of the encounters and is costly as fuck , but well worth it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Invisible enemies? I'm only on chapter 6, but when they've appeared thus far, I've just spammed the melee button in their general direction. When they get hit they stagger and become visible for an instant, which is enough time to blast them in the head.

I'm loving the game right now, but kind of disappointed to see the impressions that it turns to cheap deaths around chapter 10 or so.

Dresden

Rank 4 flash bolts and harpoons carried me through the whole game.

Then I scummed a bit near the end to get the flaming harpoons, which one shots anything that's not a boss, but by then I hardly had need of it. Handy for those
Ruvik clones
, though.

Loakum

Banned
I agree 100% Chapter 10 is a major disappointment! This game is in dire need of another patch! The lag is mostly responsible for so many deaths!
way too often, you drop the match, and it don't burn the corpse, and you get grabbed and killed by spider woman. Also you can get grabbed when you're not even near spider woman
Also all other kinds of technical issues that ruins the boss battles.

Sanctuary

Well, I just beat that asshole boss, but it almost felt like a pity win or something. I just shot it
from behind and kept following it around from behind shooting. It didn't bother going into the bushes until late and mostly just stayed in the center slowly walking in circles with me following. When it went into the bushes, I tossed a grenade and it actually decided to leap instead of just lunge and the grenade knocked it down. Tossed another and reached the checkpoint.

Probably died on this chapter alone 200 times.

Rank 4 flash bolts and harpoons carried me through the whole game.

Then I scummed a bit near the end to get the flaming harpoons, which one shots anything that's not a boss, but by then I hardly had need of it. Handy for those
Ruvik clones
, though.

I found out on my current game that you don't actually need those to one-shot your spoiler. Unupgraded Explosive bolts work too and so do Freezing, but Freezing aren't worth the cost and I would just save whatever I ended up finding for later.

I agree 100% Chapter 10 is a major disappointment! This game is in dire need of another patch! The lag is mostly responsible for so many deaths!
way too often, you drop the match, and it don't burn the corpse, and you get grabbed and killed by spider woman. Also you can get grabbed when you're not even near spider woman

Are you playing post patch? I just ask cause man Ive never seen that in my experience.

For the invisible guys I just melee'd to make them visible then blew their heads off with he shotgun.

Finally finished the game last night, 17 and a half hours and around 100 deaths on survival. Really enjoyed it on the whole. Think my favourite stretch of it was from 9-13. By the end of 15 I was ready for it to be over. I think the game does a great job of mixing things up and some of the scenarios you find yourself in are really entertaining. Thats made this thread entertaining to read as well, seeing peoples reactions to all the different stuff that gets thrown at them is great.

All the bosses felt fine to me because while they do have one hit kills they are easy enough to avoid and I felt like the amount of ammo it takes to kill them is always fair. Will be going back for nightmare but with Bayonetta 2 round the corner that might be a while.

Weird. I just did that part last night(PS4) and had no issues of that sort.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
laura gave me some cheap deaths but I'm talking parking lot. Finally beat him. Had to step away a bit then retry once my rage calmed down. Now I'm on ch 11 first mini boss and I feel déjà vu :/

I didnt have any problems with the parking lot boss but chapter 11 is probably where I died the most honestly. It's a tough chapter with a lot of OD enemies, especially if playing on survival or higher.

Top Bottom