• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Did Steam just update the game? I beat Chapter 10 moments ago and saved, then it took me back to the title menu, which now looks different? Now when I try to load my save it crashes to the desktop. I thought this was some Eternal Darkness shit at first :/

-MD-

Did Steam just update the game? I beat Chapter 10 moments ago and saved, then it took me back to the title menu, which now looks different? Now when I try to load my save it crashes to the desktop. I thought this was some Eternal Darkness shit at first :/

The Evil Within has been out a week, and we’re thrilled to see so many of you enjoying your experience with the game. In tandem, we’re also reading feedback from some of you guys on how you’d like the PC experience improved.

We always try to be responsive to our fans and we are looking at your suggestions. We are open to modifications of the PC experience but we’re investigating and testing what’s possible that won’t negatively affect other players. We are evaluating optimizations for players with high-end PCs to improve the gameplay experience at 60 FPS. We’re also looking into ways to allow you to remove the letterbox format of the game for those of you who prefer not to have it. Over the next few days we’ll be working on potential changes and testing them. If all goes according to plan, you’ll be able to go hands-on with these changes soon. When we have more information on PC-specific changes, we will let everyone know.

We believe The Evil Within is an extraordinary game, and obviously we're happy that all of you are excited about it. But we want all our fans, including those of you on PC w/ high end rigs, to be able to experience the game the way they want. So we are seeing what we can do to provide you with optional changes you have said you would like.

Thanks for your wonderful support and valuable feedback.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1509198-pc-update/

LOL the update wrecked my last save LOL LOL

Now I have to beat the chapter 10 boss again... lol :(((((

Also I guess I was wrong about the title looking different, I was just confused why I was there and never stuck around to watch the nurse walk by :p

Gustaf89

Banned

Also I guess I was wrong about the title looking different, I was just confused why I was there and never stuck around to watch the nurse walk by :p

are you playing on PC? if yes, how do i check if my game is updated? D:

Sweet, thanks.

I'll have to try it on my second playthrough.

That's the only time the somewhat unpolished nature of the game hindered me. I used stealth kill on several of them but you have to make sure the camera sees their entire body. Otherwise, the stealth kill prompt doesn't pop-up and they turn around and go ham on your ass.

Mashing the "A" button while I was in stealth near them guaranteed me a 100% chance to kill them though.

That's the only time the somewhat unpolished nature of the game hindered me. I used stealth kill on several of them but you have to make sure the camera sees their entire body. Otherwise, the stealth kill prompt doesn't pop-up and they turn around and go ham on your ass.

Mashing the "A" button while I was in stealth near them guaranteed me a 100% chance to kill them though.

Yeah I always mash the button so hard when going for stealth kills in case they decide to do a random 180.

Oh no...my game is legit fucked up guys.

I just beat Chapter 10...again, and the same happened as before. I save, select Next Chapter, it takes me back to the title, I select Continue, it flashes two loading screens, then crashes to Windows.

I've been on the Ch10 boss for so long, it's seemed like the whole game to me. Now the game itself is conspiring to keep it so :(

ThisOne

Definitely won't happen. They might have some fixes in the pipeline but the letterbox is there to stay unless they have some secret sauce.

I'm fine with the letterbox staying. I mean, it's not ideal, but with the framerate being the way it is, I can't seen anyway they could remove the letterboxing without the framerate getting even worse.

Hopefully, if they keep the letterboxing in the PS4 version, they at least can improve the framerate some through a patch.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just finished it, I'm a bit conflicted tbh.

Chapters 1-10 and 13 were fantastic, but 11,12,14 and 15 were varying degrees of bad. They were just riddled with cheap 1 hit kills, the game's jankiness was not a problem when the pace was slow but the second they start throwing enemies at you it quickly became irritating.

Chapter 15 in particular was awful
I loved it at first, especially backtracking your way through your escape route at the start but then it drops you into sequential combat arena's and makes you fight all of the bosses again (is it just me or are Japanese games repeat offenders here?) To make things worse the entire ending section is a series of cheap deaths.

An example of the game's cheapness is when you have to avoid the tentacles by running left and right. I was killed by the first one (understandable). I avoided it the second time and reached a truck to stay behind, I waited for the next one to pass before making a break for it but I was killed from the side instead. Just irritating, that section was so unnecessary. And WTF is with ending it with a turret sequence? What is this 2008?

This probably all sounds really negative but I'm fresh from finishing it and the final sections got on my nerves. I finished with 65 deaths in 16:01 overall, which seems about average, so I'm not moaning about it being hard, just cheap. First 2/3 of the game are a 9 to 9.5, the final third (excl. Ch. 13) is a 6. Overall maybe an 8.

DukeBobby

I loved it at first, especially backtracking your way through your escape route at the start but then it drops you into sequential combat arena's and makes you fight all of the bosses again (is it just me or are Japanese games repeat offenders here?) To make things worse the entire ending section is a series of cheap deaths.

Eh?

The only 'boss' in that area is the chainsaw guy.

EDIT:
Oh, and the Keeper. Forgot about him

Gustaf89

Banned
An example of the game's cheapness is when you have to avoid the tentacles by running left and right. I was killed by the first one (understandable). I avoided it the second time and reached a truck to stay behind, I waited for the next one to pass before making a break for it but I was killed from the side instead. Just irritating, that section was so unnecessary. And WTF is with ending it with a turret sequence? What is this 2008?

Why did you wait? just keep running lol

Eh?

The only 'boss' in that area is the chainsaw guy.

Also
the 2 Keepers/SafeHead

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am really digging the NG+ implementation here. Makes it super easy to jump around chapters to try to collect keys and stuff.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hey, at least you didn't have to
fight Laura again.
That would have totally ruined the last chapter for me.

True!
I was expecting her to show up again, especially as you don't actually kill her you just escape.

There were a lot of unanswered questions, and by a lot I mean all of them. Ending really felt like DLC bait which is another thing that irritated me. I'll have a look in the spoiler thread but I suspect the info I want doesn't exist yet

I've just reached chapter 8 and it just keeps getting better and better.

I was really not sold until I hit maybe chapter 4 or so and then the combat, scenario and game design just sort of clicked and everything started working. I love the atmosphere, it's such a bizarre game with OTT gore and cheesy Resi Evil esque cut scenes that just add to the charm.

Enemy designs are fantastically horrifying and the weapons feel great once you start upgrading them. It has the stamp of a Mikami game too, which will obviously be a good thing for most.

So while I'm only halfway through I feel qualified enough to say this is already up there with the better horror-action games of the past decade. Doesn't reach the heights of RE4 but I do prefer the art direction and feel of the game. It feels more horror based. Can't wait to continue with it tomorrow...

True!
I was expecting her to show up again, especially as you don't actually kill her you just escape.

There were a lot of unanswered questions, and by a lot I mean all of them. Ending really felt like DLC bait which is another thing that irritated me. I'll have a look in the spoiler thread but I suspect the info I want doesn't exist yet

Nobody in the spoiler thread knows what happened in the game either :lol

They literally didn't bother explaining anything, nor did they leave enough clues to actually reach a conclusion.

Oh no...my game is legit fucked up guys.

I just beat Chapter 10...again, and the same happened as before. I save, select Next Chapter, it takes me back to the title, I select Continue, it flashes two loading screens, then crashes to Windows.

I've been on the Ch10 boss for so long, it's seemed like the whole game to me. Now the game itself is conspiring to keep it so :(

Yep, again, third time beating Ch10. Who at Bethesda do I email about this?

Markitron

Nobody in the spoiler thread knows what happened in the game either :lol

They literally didn't bother explaining anything, nor did they leave enough clues to actually reach a conclusion.

Yea so it appears.
This, added to the issues I mentioned above, have really soured the game for me. Maybe I need a day or two to process it but right now this has to go down as the most significant dip in quality I have experienced in a game. Around Ch. 7 this was on it's way to being GOTY for me.

Nemesis_

I'm surprised to find people didn't like the end of Chapter 6.

I think I had a good time with the battle since by that point I had fully upgraded my sprint, it was super easy to do everything

What was everyone's problem with it?

ryan13ts

Some questions about the story (Major end spoilers);

What the hell happened to Joseph? I know Kidman shot him and Seb mentioned that she "killed him" but he was shot before and was just fine. I also didn't see his body at the end in those tubs like the other people who died. And who the hell was Kidman exactly? I don't remember the game ever mentioning who she was working for exactly or what her motivations were?

I really enjoyed the story up until the very end, where I felt like it took a nosedive and left too much stuff unanswered or not readily apparent.

Markitron

What the hell happened to Joseph? I know Kidman shot him and Seb mentioned that she "killed him" but he was shot before and was just fine. I also didn't see his body at the end in those tubs like the other people who died. And who the hell was Kidman exactly? I don't remember the game ever mentioning who she was working for exactly or what her motivations were?

I really enjoyed the story up until the very end, where I felt like it took a nosedive and left too much stuff unanswered or not readily apparent.

This is as good an explanation as I have seen. Obvious spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e38kiJHdhvQ

Gustaf89

Banned

she is basically
Ada, she is working for Mobius that is basically Umbrella it seems, also joseph was killed by her shot, o that's what the game want us to think

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man,
killing laura
in chapter 10 to get the final statue was brutal. That arena is hell to fight in.

DukeBobby

Man,
killing laura
in chapter 10 to get the final statue was brutal. That arena is hell to fight in.

That's the fight I had the most trouble with (I wanted that damn achievement).

I missed a few times using the environmental attacks, so I had to finish her off with conventional weapons. I didn't have the fire upgrade for the harpoon bolts, so I ended up using almost all of my ammo.

Top Bottom