• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just reached the Ch. 14 boss (haven't fought it yet though) Is there any point in saving my magnum ammo for Ch. 15 or should I unload on him. I also have plenty of max level harpoons.

Just reached the Ch. 14 boss (haven't fought it yet though) Is there any point in saving my magnum ammo for Ch. 15 or should I unload on him. I also have plenty of max level harpoons.

It's your call. There are a few spots in chapter 15 where it would be helpful, but by no means is needed. I actually didn't fire a single magnum round the whole game.

I'd say just use your Magnum now. Just make sure that you have a decent amount of bolts and parts left for the next chapter.

Loakum

Banned
Weird. I just did that part last night(PS4) and had no issues of that sort.

I played it last night when it done this. Maybe my PS4 was over-heating, because I was on that game for 5 hours straight. I finally did beat that thing, after dying about 80 times. lol

Are you sure shes not just respawning somewhere else if you run far away? She does that.

perhaps, but I didn't see her teleport at that moment.

HeelPower

I agree 100% Chapter 10 is a major disappointment! This game is in dire need of another patch! The lag is mostly responsible for so many deaths!
way too often, you drop the match, and it don't burn the corpse, and you get grabbed and killed by spider woman. Also you can get grabbed when you're not even near spider woman
Also all other kinds of technical issues that ruins the boss battles.

I don't think that's lag.

You just need to time the matches correctly.Its not instant or guaranteed.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's your call. There are a few spots in chapter 15 where it would be helpful, but by no means is needed. I actually didn't fire a single magnum round the whole game.

I'd say just use your Magnum now. Just make sure that you have a decent amount of bolts and parts left for the next chapter.

Thanks

I just beat chapter 10...how many more hours of gameplay would u say I have left if I dont get stuck anywhere

I actually asked that yesterday and was told about 5. I'm on the last chapter now so I'd say it was accurate. Chapter 11 is pretty long but 12 is really short

Loakum

Banned
I don't think that's lag.

You just need to time the matches correctly.Its not instant or guaranteed.

I just think my PS4 was overheating, because I turned it off for a few hours (to watch some movies) when I played it again, I beat it with no problem. That boss' a tough fight.

Lernaean

Banned
Just finished it.
Rough around the edges, this is the GOTY for me so far, and imo only Bayo 2 could surpass it.
I'm totally in love, the credits are rolling atm, and i'm thinking of playing a chapter or two on NG+.
Thank you Mikami.
/bow.

I wouldn't mind an entire game in the setting of chapter 9. That was great, fantastic graphics too.

Re-REmake
can't come soon enough.

Lucent

i guess thats a good point but they still piss me off

The first one I opened in chapter
after getting the
crossbow and shotgun gave me one shotgun shell
. lol. So they can be useless. But some of the later ones gave me like 5 or so
magnum rounds
. So they're not all bad.

Also I never realized that those floating blood blobs were a warning that a
trap
was nearby. I always thought that was some weird thing that happened. lol. Didn't even think about it til I was chapter 2 of some guy's AKUMU playthrough.

So I'm on chapter 4 right now and I haven't upgraded anything yet in the hopes of getting the trophy for no upgrades on this playthrough. I'm playing on Survivor and wondering if this is a fool's errand. Should I just go ahead and upgrade and do a casual run with no upgrades later?

So this game is a little Resident Evil, a bit of Resident Evil 4, a touch of Last of Us, and some Silent Hill, but all Mikami!

On chapter 14. Two more to go! Going on 15hrs.

Lengthy game but it feels like I breezed through it because of the atmosphere and immersion.

LegendX48

people complaining about the insta kills as well... im sorry kid but if someone put a chainsaw through your neck....

ag0A28x_700b.jpg

But the chainsaw wasn't insta kill though...

jaosobno

Trial and error, my man. You can use the crossbow as a laser pointer, and if it stops midway in the air then it means there's a dude in front of you.

Flash bolt, then sneak attack works every time.

Invisible enemies? I'm only on chapter 6, but when they've appeared thus far, I've just spammed the melee button in their general direction. When they get hit they stagger and become visible for an instant, which is enough time to blast them in the head.

Thx for the advice guys! Will try these techniques, shooting blindly wastes too much ammo.

Nibel

Just finished it.
Rough around the edges, this is the GOTY for me so far, and imo only Bayo 2 could surpass it.
I'm totally in love, the credits are rolling atm, and i'm thinking of playing a chapter or two on NG+.
Thank you Mikami.
/bow.

NG+ is crack. Once you try it, you won't stop.

I absolutely hate how ammo disappears completely on some checkpoints. On chapter 12,
I had a good backstock of ammo on the floor for my shotgun and handgun during the second encounter with that beast.
I died a really cheap death and then the ammo (about like, 4 boxes?) were just all gone.

Ugh...I'm missing one map fragment and I have no idea what chapter it's in.

Also is there supposed to be an extra locker key? I've already opened them all and I have no idea what to do with this extra one. Did the devs make a mistake and miscount or something or is this supposed to be used for something.

Chapter 10 enemy question-

Is there a better way to kill the... Actually, what the hell are they? Big lumbering Haunted dragging a log-thingy? Well yeah that. I had to freeze it and dump all manners of explosive bolts, harpoons, shotguns, and even sniper rifle to kill them-- Is there some kind of weakness I'm not aware of?

On a personal note, Chap 10 seriously humbled me after I was kicking all kinds of ass in chapter 5 through to 9, I have no idea why I was playing so sloppy... It's like Dark Souls all over again.

Is there a better way to kill the... Actually, what the hell are they? Big lumbering Haunted dragging a log-thingy? Well yeah that. I had to freeze it and dump all manners of explosive bolts, harpoons, shotguns, and even sniper rifle to kill them-- Is there some kind of weakness I'm not aware of?

After you shoot it a few times some kinda organ or whatever will protrude from it's back. That's pretty much the weakpoint.

somedevil

Just run away.
An example. The first time you meet one next to the switch you have to pull. I ran away to the farthest point and freeze bolted him and ran to the switch and pulled it and that was it. Just repeat anytime you see them in that chapter.

After you shoot it a few times some kinda organ or whatever will protrude from it's back. That's pretty much the weakpoint.

Yeah I figured it's that, but even then it still took 3 explosive bolts and then some to get to that point...

Just run away.
An example. The first time you meet one next to the switch you have to pull. I ran away to the farthest point and freeze bolted him and ran to the switch and pulled it and that was it. Just repeat anytime you see them in that chapter.

Lol ended up killing all 3, but took a ton of resource to do it (mostly crafting for bolts).
Is there even enough time to do that in the room with two of them? That crank took forever to pull up

Verger

Banned

On a personal note, Chap 10 seriously humbled me after I was kicking all kinds of ass in chapter 5 through to 9, I have no idea why I was playing so sloppy... It's like Dark Souls all over again.
Hah. I actually ended up fighting two of those things at once at the end of that sequence. Boy was that hectic and I somehow didn't die. I managed to get them close together and then launched a combo of Freeze/Shock bolts at them to stun and then lob grenades their way and somehow pulled it off.

I really enjoyed Chapter 10, because it was very hectic and I managed not to get frustrated with the part
fighting Laura again, because I knew you probably shouldn't fight her like last time. I figured it was just finding out how to progress and once I did it was smooth sailing.

But the boss at the end of this chapter is utterly kicking my ass. He's super fast and there aren't many hiding places. And I think he's got a 1 hit kill too.

Yeah I figured it's that, but even then it still took 3 explosive bolts and then some to get to that point...

Lol ended up killing all 3, but took a ton of resource to do it (mostly crafting for bolts).
Is there even enough time to do that in the room with two of them? That crank took forever to pull up
I barely killed them. And when I mean barely, like no bullets left and no syringes! Died a lot. You have to get lucky.

Prima Guide says to shoot two explosive bolts at its feet and you may have a chance to kill them both simultaneously.

Just keep trying and you'll get past them! It was tough for sure.

somedevil

It worked for me.
I just got farthest away from that room. Got them together and freeze bolted them. Then ran to the switch. They are slow so it worked for me.

Markitron

Chapter 14
What's the point of doing the achievement in that chapter? Do I get something extra?

Yea,
configuring the fuses opens up a supply room with some goodies and another area that contains goo and a statue

It worked for me.
I just got farthest away from that room. Got them together and freeze bolted them. Then ran to the switch. They are slow so it worked for me.

Fully upgraded harpoons absolutely MURDERISE those bastards. Without a doubt the best upgrade in the game. Destroyed the Ch. 14 boss with them as well.

Gustaf89

Banned
i finished my second run last night, and how Regina Spektor said, "Everything is different, the second time around"

i love this game

Arkanius

On Chapter 15.
It's almost over, it has been a fun ride so far.

It's funny how in the last boss fight I was completely detached of all fear. I love conquering fear in these type of games. The boss fight went by like a breeze

So no one is a fan of Chapter 6? It's easily one of my favorites in the game.

I like it, in fact I like most things after chapter 4.

As it turns out I'm not so much of a survival horror gamer, I'm more of a survival action gamer lol. I love killing monsters, but I want to be forced to be smart with how I do it instead of just shooting away lol.

Does anyone know of a way to get more ammo for the
rocket launcher
? I did a complete second playthrough on NG+ but it didn't refill it at the end, which is kind of disappointing because I had plans for it on my NG++ under-5-hours speedrun.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Annnnnd finished with just over 17 hours on the clock. :) Great game overall and whilst having a few chapters I wasn't too keen on (chapter 11 being the one I wasn't keen on the most) overall it was a great mindfuck ride. Still trying to make what I can of the story and the ending, I'm guessing the DLC will explain/explore more things.

I'm still genuinely surprised at how nice the game looks with idtech 5, some fantastic texture work throughout the whole game, it's easily the best the engine has ever looked. They did the shitholes/environments you traverse through a lot of justice.

Reading this thread, I realized I upgraded completely different from most people. I pumped almost everything into my revolver, barely deviated from that path at all (no life, 1 point sprint etc).

On the bright side, it made dispatching of
Ruvik clones
super easy. A couple of bullets to the leg, run up, set em on fire.

So no one is a fan of Chapter 6? It's easily one of my favorites in the game.

I like every chapter in the game except for 8, and only because nothing really happens in it rather than being bad or whatever.

6 definitely had some great moments. Loved the environments in it as well. I heavily disliked the boss though. Only one in the game that I thought was shit, even though it never killed me.

Top Bottom