• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Been playing on survival difficulty and made it part way into chapter 11 so far. I think I must be around 15 to 17 hours in my playthrough time. Partly from being in a scavenger / resource hoarder mode to where I'm going slow to scour for items, attempting stealth kills, or just plain old repeated deaths.

I have enjoyed the game so far although some sections either frustrated me a bit or kicked my butt. Although like Dark Souls it felt good when I finally got the pattern down or beat the monster. lol

Chapter 6:
I can understand how people would dislike this boss. Pretty much kept hiding in bushes making it hard to place shots unless it decided to spaz out and graze you. It was not until I decided to pull out my sniper rifle since it was my strongest gun at this point that I beat him. Discovered if you place yourself far enough away you can snipe him in the head as he charges out of the bush. Plus it caused him to collapse in front of me so I could nail him with my shotgun.

I can see why people liked chapters 9 and 10. The setting was nice and finally getting some story elements laid out helped.

Chapter 9:
The concept of Ruvik stalking you did change up the gameplay while you were in the mansion exploring. They also did provide beds / cupboards a player can hide in to get away from him. My problem came from having to contend with that while Haunted could be in the room or a bomb on the wall I ran to. I pretty much saved my game every time I made progress and cleared out enemies.

Chapter 10:
This one was probably the roughest out of all the chapters because your having to contend with the traps, harpoon giants, Laura, and giant boss. The letterboxing made her chase sequence harder since I couldn't tell as easily when she was lined up under a flame jet so I had to guess a bit. Seeing an arm come off helped let me know that I was close to finally killing her and appreciated her donation to my green goo fund when I did. lol

As for the boss I was not sure what to do at first until I kept hiding to take pot shots at his eye with either the sniper rifle or shotgun to stun him. Pretty kept doing that it got to the second stage and cheesed him. The one thing I am curious about is if hiding out in one of the rooms is safe once he is in his second phase to just plug away at his weak point. Seemed to me he was in a berserk charging state so I wondered if he would still grab and throw you out of a room at that point.

Getting ready play some more and hopefully finish up chapter 11. Heard 12 is short so might knock that one out tonight also before bed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's the fight I had the most trouble with (I wanted that damn achievement).

I missed a few times using the environmental attacks, so I had to finish her off with conventional weapons. I didn't have the fire upgrade for the harpoon bolts, so I ended up using almost all of my ammo.

Wait, the harpoons get fire damage? Holy shit, haha.

I used the fire in the arena, then 4 incendiary bolts, a couple of harpoons, a freeze or two to make space...I was also on NG+ so I tried using the rocket for the first time and had no idea it locked you in place to aim and got completely wrecked.

antitrop

Chapter 11 is an absolute disaster, what the fuck am I doing right now

ZIoCQ4J.gif

HeelPower

Definitely won't happen. They might have some fixes in the pipeline but the letterbox is there to stay unless they have some secret sauce.

The game was most definitely designed with letterbox and visual filter in mind.

I really don't think changing that would be a good idea.The game should be played the way its intended to be.

Squishy3

The game was most definitely designed with letterbox and visual filter in mind.

I really don't think changing that would be a good idea.The game should be played the way its intended to be.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the letterbox. It's the letterbox and the low FOV that creates an awful experience.

So the funny thing about Ch.6....

It basically managed to tap into a lifelong fear:
losing my glasses in a life or death scenario :(

That little moment made TEW hit classic status for me.

It's funny how underused this bit seems to be. Only thing that springs to mind is Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Mahattan and I fucking hated it in there too, lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy shit

These
fish
things in chapter 11 are about to make me rage quit the game. Fuck this.

Holy shit

These
fish

Chapter 11 is pretty annoying, and those
water monster things
were really frustrating to deal with. What section with them are you stuck on?

LegendX48

Some questions about the story (Major end spoilers);

What the hell happened to Joseph? I know Kidman shot him and Seb mentioned that she "killed him" but he was shot before and was just fine. I also didn't see his body at the end in those tubs like the other people who died. And who the hell was Kidman exactly? I don't remember the game ever mentioning who she was working for exactly or what her motivations were?

I really enjoyed the story up until the very end, where I felt like it took a nosedive and left too much stuff unanswered or not readily apparent.

Well...
She kinda shot him in the heart it looked like. The shot earlier seemed like it mostly grazed his side.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's finally over! Chapter 11 clear!

It felt like atoning for sins of a past life, I can't believe it

Is 11 really that bad? Chapter 10's one hit kills around every corner soured me on the game. I'm early on in 11 and all the shit everyone says about 11 makes me not even want to pick the game back up.

Gustaf89

Banned
how people can't figure out
the Shigyo/fish monster chapter 11? i mean!, there is a body hanging and then it falls and the monster goes for it, and also there are other bodies, IT'S FREAKING OBVIOUS ._.

Looking forward to the DLC but I really got worn out by chapter 15. I thought I'd have some game withdrawlals but nope, the length and stress is enough for me.

Time to move on to Bayonetta 2!

HeelPower

According to the video ,Why would the organization
want to kill ruvik ? I don't think they do.

I think they wanted to able to use the machine as much as they wanted and were probably trying to harness the tech behind it.

If they wanted to kill people they could've just shot them from the outside world.

We need to know more about this ,because its very interesting.

K' Dash

Chapter 9 is like a troll chapter, yeah, give us the cool
Resident Evil Mansion to explore
and put the
instadeath motherfucker there showing randomly exactly at the moment when you have nowhere close to hide
you have to be kidding me :/

and put the
instadeath motherfucker there showing randomly exactly at the moment when you have nowhere close to hide

Just
walk away from him, if you stay within a certain distance, he wont appear in front of you, and then he'll go away

Squishy3

Is 11 really that bad? Chapter 10's one hit kills around every corner soured me on the game. I'm early on in 11 and all the shit everyone says about 11 makes me not even want to pick the game back up.
I didn't think it was that bad. I had no problems with it. I had more problems with the last 2 chapters than I did 11. :p

Gustaf89

Banned
According to the video ,Why would the organization
want to kill ruvik ? I don't think they do.

I think they wanted to able to use the machine as much as they wanted and were probably trying to harness the tech behind it.

If they wanted to kill people they could've just shot them from the outside world.

We need to know more about this ,because its very interesting.

well
we are dealing with Umbrella 2.0 so is obvious they want the power/technology if they were the "good guys" they would have free everyone

HeelPower

well
we are dealing with Umbrella 2.0 so is obvious they want the power/technology if they were the "good guys" they would have free everyone

I am guessing kidman is Ada 2.0 as well.

She should and can kill Seb but maybe she's pitying him for whatever reason(she probably knows about his daughter and wife murders)

But yeah these guys were after something else other than just "kill ruvik and get rid of leslie"

Story is really interesting.

Gustaf89

Banned
I am guessing kidman is Ada 2.0 as well.

She should and can kill Seb but maybe she's pitying him for whatever reason(she probably knows about his daughter and wife murders)

But yeah these guys were after something else other than just "kill ruvik and get rid of leslie"

Story is really interesting.

also at the end, when sebastian wakes up and sees Kidman she tells him to stay low, if you move the camera there is another girl on a suit, MAN we need the sequel already

Dominator

how people can't figure out
the Shigyo/fish monster chapter 11? i mean!, there is a body hanging and then it falls and the monster goes for it, and also there are other bodies, IT'S FREAKING OBVIOUS ._.
I don't think that's the part people are having problems with.

rapid32.5

last chapter was pretty bad I would have given the game a solid 9/10 but nope, 8.5/10. I prefer RE4 slightly more because the characters are more likable and the dialogue is so bad it's almost good. TWE had better levels, and gameplay which sometimes made me really tense during some battles. especially soundtack in chapter 10 really good work there.

Sabrewulf

Banned
Finished the game. Though it was a rental, I can say with confidence that I'm glad I rented it, as there is nothing that this game has that calls me to come back to play it.

The game plays like standardized over the shoulder TPSes usually do. What I appreciate about the game is that the guns have a distinct sense of individuality to it instead of being 'gun that does different gun thing'. Everything feels especially weighty when it comes to combat. Fighting enemies is fun. I really like the combat.

I feel that the art direction/environment direction is lacking. Yes, there are a few moments in the game that catch my eye but otherwise...the game feels drab? Lacking character?

The story is downright stupid, too. Which is a shame, as Resident Evil and God Hand are actually my favorite stories (those games also have stupid stories, but that's okay. TEW just isn't 'stupid enough' for me to laugh at it, as it continues to have this 'serious' approach to how it handles it's storytelling.)

So....'eh?' I guess it was a fun way to burn $2.

-MD-

Chapter 12

6BwesMP.jpg

Bull-fucking-shit.

Chapter 11 and 12 are Full-RE6. Why are they doing this to me

Chapter 12 was RE6. Back half of chapter 11 was straight up RE4.

Back half of chapter 6 (still decent), back half of chapter 11 and chapter 12 are definitely the low points in this game. Basically any chapter that's trying to be RE4 is the low point in this game lol.

antitrop

Chapter 12 was RE6. Chapter 11 was straight up RE4.

You're right.

Ch11 is, like Net_Wrecker said, drunk RE4. Ch12 is RE6.

I honestly never saw this coming.
The part where the clown mask guy rides in on a humvee with a 50 cal turret makes me want throw my controller up in the air in disappointment why game why

Jobbs

Banned
Just rage quit on the chapter 7 boss.
First I thought I had to avoid him and do shit, but I seemed to only hit dead ends.

So then I tried killing him a thousand times. That seems to do nothing either.
Hate ticking clocks.

You're right.

Ch11 is, like Net_Wrecker said, drunk RE4. Ch12 is RE6.

I honestly never saw this coming.
The part where the clown mask guy rides in on a humvee with a 50 cal turret makes me want throw my controller up in the air in disappointment why game why

That part was fucking badass.

Some people just don't appreciate art.

Riposte

Chapter 6 was dope, but also a little frustrating. I played the first big battle like 20 times (restarting, mostly), because I wanted to get a clean run and kill all the enemies for both rooms (doesn't really reward you for it lol). It was a good opportunity to get acclimated with the feel of combat since I wasn't totally adjusted to it (especially aiming, I miss RE's laser point). While I'm definitely more accustomed to how Sebastian moves, I still feel like there's a layer of cumbersomeness that can get pretty annoying when you are in the heat of battle. Like I line up a shot, but still miss, because the angle is weird in a way I can't perceive or I light a match and for some reason it doesn't get enemies standing on the prone one. There are smaller things too, that are probably more my fault, but doesn't jive too well, like getting the area of effect of certain bolts down. Actually one really weird thing is that I shot/planted an explosive bolt... and it just disappeared. So yeah, when they put you in a smaller room with a bunch of really aggressive enemies and something weird happens, it can be aggravating.

Chapter 12 was RE6. Back half of chapter 11 was straight up RE4.

Back half of chapter 6 (still decent), back half of chapter 11 and chapter 12 are definitely the low points in this game. Basically any chapter that's trying to be RE4 is the low point in this game lol.

RE4 was more than the Island, breh. Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 are all pure RE4 in pacing, intensity, and even some strategies, and are the best parts of this game.

Chapter 11 dropped into RE4 would've been great, but the mechanics in TEW can't keep up.

Lucent

Holy shit

These
fish

They're not hard at all. It's probably one of the easiest parts of the game. They even show you in the cutscene upon meeting the first one what you should do. Should seriously take only a few seconds to get through each section.

Also wanted to note it's weird that they have a FOV similar to RE6 (updated) in chapters
and
. Would think they could add the options. Though I was never really too bothered by it, but might've liked it pulled back a little more.

Zolbrod

and put the

I had no trouble with that part whatsoever.
Super easy to avoid.

Top Bottom