• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

GravyButt

Chapter 9 spoilers:
he cornered me in a brain machine room the first time. If this happens more often, try entering a different room from the main hall. The order is not set. Always run when he appears. I found hiding to be completely useless as he fingerblasted me everytime I tried doing so. I had enough ammo during c9, so I ended up mainly ramboing this section. Bursting through doors and moving quickly towards my target made him not show up so much, surprisingly.

The brain machine can be used by listening to the audio hint and looking at the piece of paper. You can move the camera while examining.
Ahh cool. Do you get anything special by doing it, or is it necessary for the chapter?

GravyButt

Thank you. Ill give it another shot tomorrow. Too frustrated now haha. Bastards gotten me 6 times now. Keeps getting me in a corner or when going through a door.

If people were to rank chapters best to worst what would your thoughts be? I'm up to chapter 11 and just wondering if I've still got some decent ones left.

I really enjoyed 5,6 and 7 - the pacing, locations and overall tone of the game during those stages was fantastic. I've enjoyed most of my time with the game to be honest, although chapter 1 and 9 were the low points.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
So im playing a Nightmare run
i had no idea they would add new enemies to levels. I just finished chapter 3 and I was shocked to see the hooded screaming enemies that one hit kill you. Made it much tougher but still just as fun

Fraxin

If people were to rank chapters best to worst what would your thoughts be? I'm up to chapter 11 and just wondering if I've still got some decent ones left.

I really enjoyed 5,6 and 7 - the pacing, locations and overall tone of the game during those stages was fantastic. I've enjoyed most of my time with the game to be honest, although chapter 1 and 9 were the low points.

I actually kinda enjoyed chapter 9. Although my favorites would be from 4-6. I think the game really starts going downhill starting from chapter 11. I would say chapter 15 is the worst in my opinion.

nilbog21

Banned
Just finished chapter 9 . Surprised to see so many people here had problems with it. All you have to do is run around until he bails out? Overall awesome chapter, love the fact that it felt random when he appeared, which made it feel unscripted and scary as fuck. I'm maxed out on bullets at this point from using so much melee. Wish there was a more difficult mode to start out on

GravyButt

Just finished chapter 9 . Surprised to see so many people here had problems with it. All you have to do is run around until he bails out? Overall awesome chapter, love the fact that it felt random when he appeared, which made it feel unscripted and scary as fuck. I'm maxed out on bullets at this point from using so much melee. Wish there was a more difficult mode to start out on
thats the problem. Everytime i run away he seems to teleport rigjt in front of me

From reading some posts here, it seems everyone is having different experiences with it.
It seems like it's the only chapter that's randomized. I myself had a quite different experience my 2nd time around.

Gustaf89

Banned
i'm on stuck on the building on fire while a lot of haunted attacks you while joseph is open those fucking doors, and i'm hating the "sneak kills" animations, i mean, why the fuck does sebastian take so long to be able to move again?! and even worst the other haunted can attack you and grab you while you are trapped on that freaking animation!

jett

D-Member
My Chapter 9 experience:

Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room.

Just a fucking annoying, frustrating experience.

Chapter 9 is where this game started going to shit for me. Before that it was aces, warts and all. I just reached CH9 on NG+ and I'm dreading it cuz my gear isn't going to do anything for me.

My Chapter 9 experience:

Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room. Get one hit killed. Reload save. Dude's gone from the room I just died in. Go back to save room. Go to new room.

Chapter 9 is where this game started going to shit for me. Before that it was aces, warts and all. I just reached CH9 on NG+ and I'm dreading it cuz my gear isn't going to do anything for me.
Yep exactly. Sometimes he spawns behind you and there's no way out (room with only one door for example). This is flawed game design.

-MD-

My Chapter 9 experience:

Damn, I died once on chapter 9 because he teleported on me, once I realized running away causes him to teleport I never did it again and he was never a threat.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
My Chapter 9 experience:

the random spawns in chapter 9 is definitely not a fun thing.

Audioboxer

I'm having a stupid moment.

Seem to be stuck, right pathway from the section in chapter 7 where you have to insert 3 stone pieces. Done the left pathway. No idea what to do on the right pathway once the metal spikes fall behind you and block you from backtracking.

jett

D-Member

Seem to be stuck, right pathway from the section in chapter 7 where you have to insert 3 stone pieces. Done the left pathway. No idea what to do on the right pathway once the metal spikes fall behind you and block you from backtracking.

Shoot the two valves in front of you to make the ceiling drop. I think.

GravyButt

keep playing with the levers.
Check out the height of the platforms and the slashes on the numbers on the wall. Mr whiny pants will give you a verbal clue when your right.

Edit nvm. Wrong part!

Sanctuary

Wow. After finishing the pure hell that was Akumu, I decided to drop back down to Survival to finish up some random achievements. Normally I couldn't care less about achievements with any game, but I figured why not since most of them were not obnoxious and I was planning on at least doing the no upgrade run before shelving the game. Busting the heads of Haunted wide open with a single melee attack is so cathartic. It actually feels like vaccation mode. Plus, there are a few keys that I saw, but the game decided against letting me grab them for various reasons that I'm going back to get.

Anyway, I've learned a few things that I didn't realize during my first playthrough, and didn't feel like experimenting with during Akumu.

1. Now I get why some people are saying how "difficult" stealth is in Nightmare/Akumu. When I dropped it back down to Survival, it seemed like everything was moving in slow motion, and enemy awareness is pathetic. You can literally walk until you're a few feet behind an enemy before needing to go into stealth crouch so that they don't hear you. During my first playthrough I must have just been overcompensating big time, because Akumu felt mostly the same.

2. Almost all of the dial bombs on Surivial or below are a joke after getting used to Nightmare/Akumu timings.

3. During my first Survival run, I thought there was only one way to get
Mr Chainsaw
to activate in
chapter 3
. Then, when I played it on Akumu I noticed there was another way. I thought maybe I simply missed it on Survival, but that wasn't it. He does have a secondary way to activate that doesn't happen below Nightmare.

4. You can hurt him with burning hay stacks. You can shove them to the top of the ladder he climbs and light them when he's near the top. No idea how much damage it actually does, but I found it interesting regardless.

5. Burn the "obvious" hay stacks. I missed a whole lot of keys during my first two playthroughs, and I figured that a lot of them had to be hiding behind other objects and not simply sitting in plain sight. You'll find some behind boxes you smash as well as hay stacks. I'm not using any kind of guide for collectible locations, and I have all but one recorded message and I'm missing about 20 keys still. Some can be gained through the lockers themselves, but I'm not sure if it's more than one. That's all I've found so far.

Ruvik
is a cheap bastard, and now I understand all of the bitching about
chapter 9
. While it's extremely rare for this to happen, I've seen him teleport directly in front of me as some others have claimed, but this was after he had already appeared elsewhere and had been walking a bit. Not that it makes it any better, but something even worse happened an hour ago. As soon as the very first blue pulse happened, before I even had a chance to see where he was so I could start moving, he was directly in front of me and killed me. That's the kind of shit that needs to be patched out.

So im playing a Nightmare run
i had no idea they would add new enemies to levels. I just finished chapter 3 and I was shocked to see the hooded screaming enemies that one hit kill you. Made it much tougher but still just as fun

You can one-shot them with a match on a corpse (difficult to set up) or one of the torches that a haunted carries. As soon as I entered that level and saw what had spawned, I let torches lie on the ground until I had use for them.

Sebastian looks so goofy when he sprints up the stairs, one of the most hilarious animations I've seen in a while.

After many hours you kind of forget about it, unless focusing on it. It's one thing a lot of people were commenting on before the game launched. It does look really bad. He's filled with helium and has springs on his feet. Which is ironic since he controls like he has Jupiter's gravity pulling against him.

Braag

Sebastian looks so goofy when he sprints up the stairs, one of the most hilarious animations I've seen in a while.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm thinking of just not finishing this game.

I tend to finish almost all the games I buy, but up to chapter 7 most of this game have felt like a chore. Everything that potentially could have been good is bogged down by poor design choices or clumsiness. Considering what I'm reading here about later parts of the game, well, suffice to say that it doesn't make me excited about what's left.

Oh, the boss in chapter 7?

Played him a few times and died due to a lack of ammo and he always kept reappearing. Just read that there's a ladder somewhere which you should climb. Didn't see it. That made me even more annoyed.

The only thing that might make me play through this game is sheer stubbornness.

-MD-

I tend to finish almost all the games I buy, but up to chapter 7 most of this game have felt like a chore. Everything that potentially could have been good is bogged down by poor design choices or clumsiness. Considering what I'm reading here about later parts of the game, well, suffice to say that it doesn't make me excited about what's left.

Played him a few times and died due to a lack of ammo and he always kept reappearing. Just read that there's a ladder somewhere which you should climb. Didn't see it. That made me even more annoyed.

Can you drop the difficulty down to casual?

If you have any
sniper ammo he died in like 2 bullets iirc, you also only need to kill him once or twice, otherwise you can just use a freeze bolt and run.

Sanctuary

Can you drop the difficulty down to casual?

If you have any
sniper ammo he died in like 2 bullets iirc, you also only need to kill him once or twice, otherwise you can just use a freeze bolt and run.

Twice, and why bother using a Freeze bolt? Seems like a waste for no real reason. If you're talking about the
valve turning part, it saves your progress even if you let go to run for a bit.

-MD-

Twice, and why bother using a Freeze bolt? Seems like a waste for no real reason.

Dunno that's what I remembered doing, was like a week ago but I specifically remember
dropping him a couple times with the sniper and freezing him/sprinting to the valve and turning it real fast before he could get to me.

Sanctuary

Dunno that's what I remembered doing, was like a week ago but I specifically remember dropping him a couple times with the sniper and freezing him/sprinting to the valve and turning it real fast before he could get to me.

You have to
kill him when he first spawns to open the way to the next area, and you have to do the same thing again when you're in the room you sealed off that he ends up spawning in. Somehow you don't know how to open the valve door back up and he does it for you. After that it's just running to the room he's smashing the valve at, running to get the new valve and waiting for him to get somewhat close before sprinting back into the room you use the valve in. If he gets too close before you're done you can simply kite him back into another room.

For a NG+ run, he takes exactly one
fully upgraded harpoon bolt and a 2/5 damage shotgun blast. Those that appear later that keep respawning in other parts of the game can die from two 4/5 magnum rounds, while those in chapter 15 require three shots of a fully upgraded magnum.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
He's not a problem, really. I was more annoyed about the fact that I had "finished" it, but didn't realize/notice that ladder part and kept on fighting.

Sanctuary

He's not a problem, really. I was more annoyed about the fact that I had "finished" it, but didn't realize/notice that ladder part and kept on fighting.

I didn't notice it at first on my first run either. After I
turned the valve and stopped the gas
I had no fucking idea what I was supposed to do next and kept running around for a few minutes until stumbling back into the same room and seeing it.

Furnace is pissing me off in 10. I burn and it didn't hurt or her animation kills.

That's probably tied for my least favorite fight in the entire game. As annoying as it can be on Survival, it's utter bullshit on Akumu. Bear traps for miles and she moves at two or two and a half times the speed.

nilbog21

Banned
My Chapter 9 experience:

Man, I had a vastly different experience with this. Trust me, On your new playthrough, when the screen turns blue just look around for him then run around to the next rooms (level is designed where there are more than one thresholds per room) and then he will disappear. Nothing more to it than that. I don't eve understand how so many are struggling, the dude is walking around and you can literally run circles around him.. I don't think mikami thought anyone would be dying to this guy more than once.

The hardest part of that chapter is that God dam lock combination

Sanctuary

Man, I had a vastly different experience with this. Trust me, On your new playthrough, when the screen turns blue just look around for him then run around to the next rooms (level is designed where there are more than one thresholds per room) and then he will disappear. Nothing more to it than that. I don't eve understand how so many are struggling, the dude is walking around and you can literally run circles around him.. I don't think mikami thought anyone would be dying to this guy more than once.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135791866&postcount=12433 (point #6)

And that lock combination was one of the easiest parts of that level if you've played any of the earlier Resident Evil games. It even forces you to stare at the pictures. The document right below the lock gives you a pretty big clue too.

If there's one thing Mikami underestimated, it's gamer's lack of skill and intelligence these days. Modern gaming has made everyone frighteningly stupid.

Thought I'd share some gorgeous screenshots\panoramas from Natty.Dread

15433509707_7c637d4a63_o.png

So awesome.

kodecraft

There's very little difference in terms of max grain or minimum grain on the PC version. The depth of field effect is also REALLY mild compared to the PS4. The PS4 versions is better looking due to this, honestly.

The PC version is really robbed of the "cinematic aesthetic."

Ok, thanks for that.

Hubble

Got to Chapter 9 and decided to not finish it. I just wasn't having fun. Also it didn't live up to the expectations of being a classic RE or SH game I expected.

Just finished chapter 10 and 11 on survival. Didnt have much trouble at all. I actually like those chapters. Not sure what everyone was having problems with.

On Chapter 9. Loving it so far. Most tense game since...well RE4. I love the encounters. Mikami is the master of that.

Also a good weapon for the Ch7 boss is
the sniper. He will go down in 2 hits and its much less risky than using the explosives as he charges toward you and killing you with your own bomb

jg4xchamp

Chapter 9 and 10 were awesome, I don't really get what people found to be so difficult about those segments or cheap. I thought the atmosphere and tension was still on point, and the fights themselves were plenty awesome.

Chapter 11 and 12 on the other hand was like lol wtf territory in terms of direction, feels like I was reliving the nightmare that was Resident Evil 6. Chapter 13 to forward is back to normal stuff right? because 11 and 12 were definitely some jump the shark type shit.

Lucent

Chapter 9 and 10 were awesome, I don't really get what people found to be so difficult about those segments or cheap. I thought the atmosphere and tension was still on point, and the fights themselves were plenty awesome.

Chapter 11 and 12 on the other hand was like lol wtf territory in terms of direction, feels like I was reliving the nightmare that was Resident Evil 6. Chapter 13 to forward is back to normal stuff right? because 11 and 12 were definitely some jump the shark type shit.

Yeah 13-15 are more back to the previous chapters.

Did Chapter 6 just took me 2:30 hours to complete? Yes it did. Holy shit what a long Chapter. And the boss
took me like 25 minutes and a whole lot of dying to get the grip of the dog. I ended making some explosive bolts and that helped a lot

Started playing on survival. Don't know if I should have started the game on casual.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Just finished the game, and I really liked it. That end got pretty crazy. The plot did leave me with quite a few questions.
Like why Leslie was so important? Was it cause he could leave? But so do Seb so why was it so special? Also why did Ruben change his name? was it just to be cool? How did Sebastian get into the thing in the first place? Did Ruben kill his daughter?

Top Bottom