• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Man, I really hate
the forced transitions
in chapter 6

I just examined the door, I didn't know Joseph would instantly open it and throw me in a boss fight. I missed a corridor that could have stuff in it :(

But lol at having to go grab Joseph's glasses from the dog boss. Loved Sebastian's reaction, he's so done with all this shit

Braag

Having trouble with the boss on Chapter 6(The Dog)
Any tips?
Barely have any ammo/

I used the stunning bolt on it and gave it a few good shotgun blasts to the face while it was stunned.
Best time to shoot it is when it hides in the bushes and just when it pounces out shoot it with the bolt and it gets stunned before reaching you.
There are also a few crates around the area near the bushes but he usually attacks you if you go for them.

Any tips?
Barely have any ammo/
Use your heavy weapons when he comes running then dodge. There's some shotgun shells lying around near the pried-open gate, be sure to grab them. Also I hope you upgraded your sprinting a bit.

After some shots he'll fall down for a while, use grenades if you have them

Man, I really hate
the forced transitions
in chapter 6

I just examined the door, I didn't know Joseph would instantly open it and throw me in a boss fight. I missed a corridor that could have stuff in it :(

But lol at having to go grab Joseph's glasses from the dog boss. Loved Sebastian's reaction, he's so done with all this shit

Yeah that pissed me off. Same thing happened to me

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Any tips?
Barely have any ammo/

There is a way to cheese him a bit. Although admittedly there were moments in this game that made me realize I don't mind fighting like a dirty swine like this one. lol

Anyway keep an eye on him and make sure to note which bush he hides in. Place yourself some distance away and across from it with your sniper rifle.

Draw a bead on him and wait for him to charge out of the bush. You have to be a tad quick and make the shot but if you do the sniper rifle will cause him to collapse out of the charge. This should cause him to roll and land right around your feet making it a excellent time to nail him with the shotgun.

Keep in mind this is my experience based on the survival difficulty level. Just avoid him if he does something different and wait to repeat the pattern.

Chapter 9 - lol. How the hell did anyone think this was a good idea?

I felt the exact same way. I can understand the concept but it can be annoying with the addition of traps / regular enemies.

I pretty much ran back to the save room almost every time I cleared a room or made progress.

-MD-

It's funny how early on in the thread everyone was praising chapter 9 saying it was one of the best chapters, going by the last few pages though you'd think it was one of the worst in the game.

Lucael

Chapter 9 - lol. How the hell did anyone think this was a good idea?

The sad thing is that
Ruvik appeareance is "scripted" and when you die he won't appear in that zone but in the next "scripted" one. So why even bother? Anyway you'll find a lot of oneshot section in the next chapters
Be ready!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's funny how early on in the thread everyone was praising chapter 9 saying it was one of the best chapters, going by the last few pages though you'd think it was one of the worst in the game.

It seems like total bullshit until you figure out how to deal with it, then it gets easy and awesome.

-MD-

The sad thing is that
Ruvik appeareance is "scripted" and when you die he won't appear in that zone but in the next "scripted" one. So why even bother? Anyway you'll find a lot of oneshot section in the next chapters
Be ready!

I don't think it's scripted at all
, pretty sure it's on a timer. He appeared in the same room for me twice at different times.

It seems like total bullshit until you figure out how to deal with it, then it gets easy and awesome.

Problem with that is folks seem to not really observe what's happening,
I mean the first time I sprinted away from the guy he teleported, the second time I sprinted away he teleported again and killed me. Was pretty obvious what was going on at that point.

Lucael

It's not a bad idea, really, but it's that kind of game mechanic you can't use too much because in my opinion is too much divisive: some players can be good at that and others are just bad in that kind of gameplay. At some point you can find more fast and easy to
die over it and start again to get rid of that section

jeffearpfbu4.gif

Every survival horror game man.

I'm starting to understand how the IGN reviewer died 211 times. These kinds of games really aren't for everyone I guess.

I play games like this really methodically. I haven't died all that often, usually to bosses in finding the pattern or something but otherwise I'm a sneaky ninja and have killed most enemies w/ stealth.

edit: Just beat chapter 6, time to throw some laundry in and shower.

Lucael

I don't think it's scripted at all
, pretty sure it's on a timer. He appeared in the same room for me twice at different times.

Problem with that is folks seem to not really observe what's happening,
I mean the first time I sprinted away from the guy he teleported, the second time I sprinted away he teleported again and killed me. Was pretty obvious what was going on at that point.

Never happened to me, I usually spend too much time exploring stuff but I rushed in that part for that single reason, so that's why probably I didn't find
him 2 times in the same room
. Anyway the Chapter 9 ending redeems all that part.
The visuals in the last sections are one of the best in the game

-MD-

I play games like this really methodically. I haven't died all that often, usually to bosses in finding the pattern or something but otherwise I'm a sneaky ninja and have killed most enemies w/ stealth.

edit: Just beat chapter 6, time to throw some laundry in and shower.

Yeah that's how these games are supposed to be played, I seriously died 3 or 4 times to normal enemies in the whole game, 95% of my deaths were traps/bosses.

I died 165 times, and probably half of them were in chapter 10.

Whoa. Chapter 10 was the one I died the most in, 4-5 times on
each boss

It's either people unwilling to learn from their mistakes. Or people dying over and over with little patience and frustration. People claim the game goes out of its way to kill you. You know, what most games do. Then claim the game is designed poorly to justify it. To each their own, but I didn't have half the issues people claim about their experience. Then again, maybe I'm just a bad ass at horror games and challenge.

Lucael

Chapter 11: about the
instadeath mechanic, I'll put two examples: 1) The arena with Ruvik clone. The game had a lot of section where you need to kill the enemies to progress. The game showed me all the time that Ruvik as invincible. So how I'm supposed to know that shooting the clone will open up the next section? Should that camera movement pointing on him be considered a subtle hint? :p 2) The water part, the one with three corpse hanging and two water monsters. Ok you need let the bodies fall to take the monsters attention. I made it and I don't know how. Sometimes taking the corpse down wouldn't get the attention even of one of them

I won't say that these are game flaws or what, just reporting my personal experience and what was frustrating for me in the last chapters I played. That's why I prefer stealth sections.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Right, I have no problem dying in games in general, but how I take it depends on the type of game and how it works as a whole. In some games I expect to die a lot and that's fine. But in this game it often sends me back to an earlier reload, having me go over the same motions and hopefully I won't make a mistake slightly later and have to do the same thing over again once more. It's especially infuriation if this happens due to a one hit kill. Otherwise it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

That being said, I just reached my favorite moment so far of the game in the late part of chapter 9:

When you reach that flower field and see that barn in the distance. Great atmosphere. Then it goes back to being annoying again :)

|cJ|

Banned
Just finished this game on PC, I feel like it was really underrated, so far in my top 3 this year.

Anyone that is playing on PC I recommend getting Flawless Widescreen it fixes the letterbox problem, set FOV to 4.75 and you're golden.

Just finished this game on PC, I feel like it was really underrated, so far in my top 3 this year.

Anyone that is playing on PC I recommend getting Flawless Widescreen it fixes the letterbox problem, set FOV to 4.75 and you're golden.

4.75?? I use 24.75 :lol

Nemmy

Got through chapter 13 and I must say it was pretty damn tense, a nice change of pace after 11 and 12.
I loved how the game used the Keeper throughout the chapter, he wasn't an actual threat until the very end, but the safe boxes and wire traps lying around kept me nervous that he might show up any time. Also that dark kitchen after Ruvik's appearance creeped me out initially in a very Silent Hillesque way - but who the hell thought it's a good idea to send a bunch of killer Roombas after you? They murdered the atmosphere pretty much instantly :(

Chapter 11: about the
instadeath mechanic, I'll put two examples: 1) The arena with Ruvik clone. The game had a lot of section where you need to kill the enemies to progress. The game showed me all the time that Ruvik as invincible. So how I'm supposed to know that shooting the clone will open up the next section? Should that camera movement pointing on him be considered a subtle hint? :p 2) The water part, the one with three corpse hanging and two water monsters. Ok you need let the bodies fall to take the monsters attention. I made it and I don't know how. Sometimes taking the corpse down wouldn't get the attention even of one of them

I won't say that these are game flaws or what, just reporting my personal experience and what was frustrating for me in the last chapters I played. That's why I prefer stealth sections.

I had no problem with 1) because
the clone actually reacted to being shot, unlike regular Ruvik, so I assumed if it can be hurt, it can be killed as well.
With 2) I think I kind of lucked out, I got through on the first try
and I don't think I even used all the bodies - I just ran for it and it worked. But the monsters reacted to bodies as intended, so maybe it was glitchy in your playthrough. Actually the very first water monster was the first and only time in TEW I looked up an online walkthrough to find out I need to shoot a body down - after dying several times trying to outrun it in the water and then wasting all my ammo trying to aim for the head. The game definitely could have pointed the solution out a bit better, like having one corpse fall into the water and be eaten in the monster's introductory cutscene for example.
So that was maybe not frustrating, but kind of an annoyance anyway. Up until that point, I felt the game communicated what needed to be done quite clearly.

nilbog21

Banned
Right, I have no problem dying in games in general, but how I take it depends on the type of game and how it works as a whole. In some games I expect to die a lot and that's fine. But in this game it often sends me back to an earlier reload, having me go over the same motions and hopefully I won't make a mistake slightly later and have to do the same thing over again once more. It's especially infuriation if this happens due to a one hit kill. Otherwise it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

That being said, I just reached my favorite moment so far of the game in the late part of chapter 9:

When you reach that flower field and see that barn in the distance. Great atmosphere. Then it goes back to being annoying again :)

Dude if running through that sunflower field is your favorite moment of the game, then you're playing the wrong game LOL

Not digging chapter 11 much. Not sure I'm liking this game now. I'm tired of running away, sometimes from the same monster over and over. It's a pain, especially since the game is kind of awkward to me.

Nemmy

Dude if running through that sunflower field is your favorite moment of the game, then you're playing the wrong game LOL

It wasn't my favourite moment for sure (I think chapter 7 -
everything related to the Keeper
is), but I agree with him that the atmosphere was pretty amazing. I actually remembered that part from the trailers and was looking forward to it, and it did not disappoint.

JRW

Is this game a fucking joke? Is it early April fools or just some sort of Halloween trick?

Surely, my computer isn't a massive beast but it runs every game so far in 1080p@60fps with slight adjustments to AA and other graphical options - but this game... seriously?

I AM STRUGGLING TO CONTAIN 25 CONSTANT FRAMES PER SECONDS when I put my shit on 1080p with everything turned off including AA and motion blur.

Please tell me this is a (sick) joke.

i5 @2.67 GHz
8GB RAM
560 GTX Ti

I have everything enabled / 1080P and rarely see it drop below 30fps (I'm running the game vanilla, no 60fps / black bar mods) But It seems the game needs better optimization especially considering the black bars & 30fps cap reducing overall load, yet still see occasional drops below 30fps.

i7 920 @ 3.4ghz
12GB
EVGA GTX 480 SC

itsinmyveins

I know, right? :D

Thing is, I like horror but not the scary type. Or rather, I like the mystery behind the horror, and I thought that part would work great in such a context. I adore SH2 for instance, but I hate playing it when you're in the "dark world". I thought Alan Wake hade a great setting, but I would have like the game better if it was more of an adventure game.

I mean, come on. Give me an adventure game set in Twin Peaks and/or a Stephen King setting. That's all I'm asking for. Some action, but not driven by it. Think Alan Wake meets the old Flashback game with a story from Silent Hill 2. That'd be nice.

Man, I'm looking forward to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter being released on PS4 or Mac. Looks promising.

Thinking about picking this up today - but have a question..

Resident Evil 4 is one of my all time favorite games, is this somewhat similar in gameplay? How does it compare to RE4?

I'm starting to understand how the IGN reviewer died 211 times. These kinds of games really aren't for everyone I guess.

Yeah, but to be fair, there are a lot of genres that aren't for people who suck at video games. In a difficult platformer, for example, 211 deaths would be nothing.

sladeums

Finished my first run this morning - on Survival, using no Gel.
Few boss battles really had me questioning whether I'd make it.

Ended up at 26 hours, 174 deaths.

Firing up NG+ for some trophy cleanup, then using most of the 400k Gel I collected makes it feel like a breeze now.

Not sure if I wanna fuck with Akumu after all that, tho.

tesqui

beat it on nightmare a couple days ago and now going through ng+.

Those
Brass Knuckles
(Or I like to call it the
Face Exploders
) are real fun though.

T.O.P

Banned
Had to switch to Casual at chapter 7

Haven't done this like...ever

Was forced to though, i was getting mauled and with low to no bullets :(

I never had problems with any chapter on survival.
Dunno what the fuzz is about Chapters 9 or 10.
Never had to tone down difficulty either.
And I completed it on PC and PS3.

Neff

Thinking about picking this up today - but have a question..

Resident Evil 4 is one of my all time favorite games, is this somewhat similar in gameplay? How does it compare to RE4?

It has RE4's enemy style, but there are fewer of them, and they're harder to kill, in the vein of classic RE, although it has its share of 'siege' setpieces.

It has RE4's weapon flexibility and stage design elements, but far less ammo, and more concentrated adjoining rooms and buildings to explore, although it has its share of linear action scenes.

All of the above is compromised or enhanced depending on how you look at it, with very heavy character movement, wavering aim, and small critical enemy hitboxes. You have to be very clever and resourceful with your inventory, but being able to kill enemies ably -while minimising resource use- by maximising strategy is incredibly satisfying.

Basically, if you like RE4 or RE, you should find something to interest you. If you like both, you'll have a blast.

It has RE4's enemy style, but there are fewer of them, and they're harder to kill, in the vein of classic RE, although it has its share of 'siege' setpieces.

It has RE4's weapon flexibility and stage design elements, but far less ammo, and more concentrated adjoining rooms and buildings to explore, although it has its share of linear action scenes.

All of the above is compromised or enhanced depending on how you look at it, with very heavy character movement, wavering aim, and small critical enemy hitboxes. You have to be very clever and resourceful with your inventory, but being able to kill enemies ably -while minimising resource use- by maximising strategy is incredibly satisfying.

Basically, if you like RE4 or RE, you should find something to interest you. If you like both, you'll have a blast.

Wow thanks for the detailed response. I love Re4 and The first RE too (as well as games like Zombi U) so it sounds like this is a must buy. Thanks.

Lucael

Thing is, I like horror but not the scary type. Or rather, I like the mystery behind the horror, and I thought that part would work great in such a context. I adore SH2 for instance, but I hate playing it when you're in the "dark world". I thought Alan Wake hade a great setting, but I would have like the game better if it was more of an adventure game.

The
sunflower field was a bit disturbing. First the shifting from dark to open, sunny/clouded enviroments. Plus, the sunflowers are so high you can't potentially see enemies on the ground. You don't know if you'll be attacked in there. You don't know what you're going to find in the farm

I mean, come on. Give me an adventure game set in Twin Peaks and/or a Stephen King setting. That's all I'm asking for. Some action, but not driven by it. Think Alan Wake meets the old Flashback game with a story from Silent Hill 2. That'd be nice.

Man, I'm looking forward to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter being released on PS4 or Mac. Looks promising.
Have you played Deadly Premonition? It's got a lot of flaws but might just be what you're looking for. It has pretty much the premise and setting of Twin Peaks but goes into a different direction story-wise. Although there are combat sections, it's pretty much an open-world murder mystery.

itsinmyveins

Have you played Deadly Premonition? It's got a lot of flaws but might just be what you're looking for. It has pretty much the premise and setting of Twin Peaks but goes into a different direction story-wise. Although there are combat sections, it's pretty much an open-world murder mystery.

Yeah, I played it for a bit. Didn't like the "levels" at all and it's a mess of a game, but it did some things right. Well, aimed in the right direction, anyway. Lose more of the horror, add a bigger pinch of adventure and a larger budget and it could be great.

In other news, I've come some ways in chapter 10 and so far it's been my favorite chapter. We'll see if it manages to stay that way until it's over.

Inconsistent is a word that I'll use to describe some games on a rather regular basis (I should play less Sonic games), this brings me to a little conundrum of sorts when it comes to The Evil Within because after just throwing around that word all willy nilly all this time I've come face to face with the embodiment of Inconsistency within a videogame, it's like a need a new word to truly summarise this game.
It's all over the place, it's great, it's awful, it's average, it's action packed, it's slow and methodical, it's one big contradiction in disc form.

Okay so about two weeks ago, a few days before the game officially released in fact a friend of mine scored a PS4 copy of TEW and so began our hot seat run through of the game which reached its end last night, not the ideal way to experience a game in this genre but I'm cheap and this saved me money. While I hadn't been following the game much at all I'd at least kept one watchful eye on it due to the Mikami factor, for the most part though I went in here blind and unknowing.

Really there's not too much for me to say that hasn't been covered thoroughly within this thread by others but I'll go for it anyway. TEW is such an oddity to me, it has that intangible feel to it that reminds me of the sort of third party titles you'd get in the PS2 days that you just don't see much anymore, this comes with both the good and the bad aspects of such a statement. It comes across outdated in numerous ways while also reminding me that you just don't get notable third party games like this much in the retail space these days that feel unique and having stood by its own vision without becoming something else, it's some jank arse survival horror/action concoction that certainly isn't afraid to throw you in the deep end and see if you can surface of your own accord.
It's all very conflicting, you've got the fun of discovering things for yourself, you've got the annoyance of cheap shots and instant kills galore, this inconsistency I speak of runs through nearly every aspect of the game be it visuals, chapter by chapter gameplay focus and pacing.

I never expected the game to be nearly as long as it is and true to Mikami's own Resi 4 exploits it always feels like its got something new up its sleeve, through the good and bad it was always interesting to push on and see what was coming up next, even then comparing Chapters 9 (loved it) and 11 (most certainly did not love it) for instance it's almost like a genre shift took place.In that sense you could say the pacing is great when it comes to mixing up what the player does though then you have the varying chapter lengths that make playing in what one could've expected as near equal chunks to fluctuate between being too long, one instance of too short and a few that don't overstay their welcome.
Describing my pros and cons of the gameplay itself is no small task either, to try and keep it briefer I can say I enjoyed the more open areas that focused on being cautious and smart with your environment and enemies, the light puzzle elements seen from time to time were appreciated and general mechanics though somewhat unpolished were enjoyable. Immediate cons being the more action focused sections that just don't seem to gel well with the type of gunplay/combat this game employs, trial and error overstepping its bounds in places (those loading times don't help) and in general a lack of polish and clarity in some areas that hold the game back leading to a pile of small annoyances that add up.
Bosses continue that bag mixing action, some were neato, some where not-o, *Chapter 6 spoilers*
I'm not sure if I ever really grasped the gimmick behind the big old dog boss, was he part blind? hard of hearing? both? well at least I got a chuckle out of the rather random reclaiming of the the glasses epilogue to that fight
In any case TEW had a memorable cast of foes to go up against be it tense, tepid or tedious.
Plot? man I ain't even getting into that mess, I'm not sure I could if I tried, lets just say it was an acceptable excuse to give us variety in locales and gameplay and I'm okay with that.

So this was a strange game for me, it probably isn't going to get on my GotY list, it's the sort of thing I'd find hard to recommend to others unless they dug the genre and I could go on for some time about its flaws but I'm glad that I played it and that such a game exists in the present, it gave me much more laughs than scares (buzzsaw roombas!) and that's okay.
Never before have I seen moments of great game design and cases of poor game design side by side sharing the same spotlight, now to think of a word to replace inconsistent just for this game, yeah this game was the most Castellanos thing I ever played!

Beat the game in almost 19 hours, died 67 times. I expected the final boss to be a bit different I guess, didn't even get to use the magnum lol.

I liked almost everything about it, and diversity and quality of situations is top notch from beginning to end. I want to start a new game on Nightmare or Akumu but I think will do it a bit later since I should receive Bayonetta 2 in the next few days.

Top Bottom