• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

I don't think it's scripted at all
, pretty sure it's on a timer. He appeared in the same room for me twice at different times.

Problem with that is folks seem to not really observe what's happening,
I mean the first time I sprinted away from the guy he teleported, the second time I sprinted away he teleported again and killed me. Was pretty obvious what was going on at that point.

It's on a timer. This was obvious to me the first time through. It's also how you abuse saves there. You're not entirely right about his
teleporting though. It's mostly easy to dodge, but as I posted a few pages back, I have recently seen him teleport in front of me like others have said (after I had a chance to see where he was and could move away), and I've even had him teleport in front of me as soon as the very first blue pulse happens and before you even have a chance to move in any direction. Seems rare enough not to really matter, but it does happen and it's not a player issue.

Good post. I was saying right before my first complete run that the game was wildly inconsistent and that trying to review it would be really hard since I had so many conflicting feelings about it. I hope that this game does well enough to warrant a sequel, but that Mikami actually listens to the valid criticism since we already know he's capable of more than this.

Nemmy

Whew, my first playthrough is done. A bit over 19 hours, 96 deaths (I thought it was going to be much more lol, I kinda got gud in the second half of the game I guess).

Been a long time since I had such a blast with an AAA title. Aside from literally a couple locations (in ch 10 an 11 mostly) it was a nonstop fun ride.

I can see how there's a lot of valid criticism to be made about this game, but all its issues were completely minor to me, so whatever. Really hoping a sequel gets made.

Malalaw

Streamed my playthrough up until chapter 11 yesterday. Had over 300 viewers so I felt pretty hype about that. Died so many times to alot of derp things but thats how it goes. I will continue later tonight for those interested. Wont stop till the game is done. Or 6am..whichever comes first.

www.twitch.tv/deeptopgaming follow and I'll remind when its up if you wanna check it out. Gonna be ready around 9 tonight.

-MD-

Finished chapter 3 so gooood.

Yeah, I can already see myself replaying this game more than once. Mikami doesn't disappoint.

Wow, the pacing right now is already perfect.

This game keeps getting better ...just like RE 4.

Have fun guys, this game is good :D

My god.....everyone who wants a true sequel to RE4: Buy this game. It's definitely not a 3rd-person-shooter so far but I'm only in chapter 5, so...who knows? (4 hours)
The atmosphere is fantastic, the story seems very interesting, the puzzles (so far) are not very hard but a nice change of pace.

This game is a msterpiece. Like RE4 the pacing is perfect. And chapter 5 (I'm in ch. 5) is the best so far.

I can't stop playing this game

---

Okay I decided to give this game a secoond chance.

:p

Stuck in Chapter 6

Anyone else unable to activate the chainsaw guy in chapter six? In walkthroughs, I see he's supposed to come running out. I'm super frustrated. I've sniped all five guys who were shooting at us through those windows. Character keeps saying "nothing should stand in the way of us getting in the tower now" every couple of minutes but I'm completely stuck. No idea where to go.

teraMEL0S

Just wanted to say I enjoyed this game thoroughly. Just disappointed in performance (xbo) and the questions I was left with in regards to the plot. If you are on the fence, definitely give it a shot.

-MD-

Stuck in Chapter 6

Anyone else unable to activate the chainsaw guy in chapter six? I'm super frustrated. I've sniped all five guys who were shooting at us through those windows. Character keeps saying "nothing should stand in the way of us getting in the tower now" every couple of minutes but I'm completely stuck. No idea where to go.

Walk where the harpoon turrets are, should be a garage door type thing there and he comes out of it.

Edit: not sure why the spoiler tags don't seem to be working.

The [/spoiler] at the end is broken, it's /
on your end.

Walk where the harpoon turrets are, should be a garage door type thing there and he comes out of it.

Thanks, but it's not opening for me.

Wonder if it's a glitch or something. Kinda devastating since I can't advance and I'm loving the game so far.

-MD-

Thanks, but it's not opening for me.

Wonder if it's a glitch or something. Kinda devastating since I can't advance and I'm loving the game so far.

It does sound like it could be a bug, you have the option of going back to your most recent checkpoint if you press start.

That's a bummer.

-MD-

Lol this is amazing. And I don't change my opinion. The game is awesome until chapter 9/10. Chapter 10 and 11 were horrible but I'm going to give it another shot. I'm also interested in NG+. Do you get more ammo?

Man, 9 and 10 were some of my favorites, 11 and 12 is when the game drops the ball but 13/14 pick it back up.

Haven't tried NG+ yet but folks saying upgrading pistol stock to rank 4 or 5 to get more ammo weren't joking. I went from rank 3 to 4 and had 25/25 rounds in a matter of minutes, prior to that I rarely ever had more than 10-15 rounds at once.

Sanctuary

What are you sighing for, oh enlightened one? Are you going to tell me my opinion is wrong? Please, I can't take this suspense any longer.

The RE4 comparison pops up in just about every other post by someone first commenting about the game, usually when they haven't even made it halfway through. There are obvious similarities such as the gonado like huanted, Mikami and a few surface level similarities in chapter designs, but it's overall much less like RE4 and more like RE5 combined with a slew of other horror games that came out both before RE4 and long after.

The actual gameplay is almost nothing like RE4 at all.

-MD-

The RE4 comparison pops up in just about every other post by someone first commenting about the game, usually when they haven't even made it halfway through. There are obvious similarities such as the gonado like huanted, Mikami and a few surface level similarities in level designs, but it's overall much less like RE4 and more like RE5 combined with a slew of other horror games that came out both before RE4 and long after.

The actual gameplay is almost nothing like RE4 at all.

I agree with everything but the RE5 part, RE4/5 are basically the same game, ones just worse than the other one.

Ricker

Stuck in Chapter 6

Anyone else unable to activate the chainsaw guy in chapter six? In walkthroughs, I see he's supposed to come running out. I'm super frustrated. I've sniped all five guys who were shooting at us through those windows. Character keeps saying "nothing should stand in the way of us getting in the tower now" every couple of minutes but I'm completely stuck. No idea where to go.

Did you find the generator type thing and turned it on so it opens the small hangar doors...

Sanctuary

I agree with everything but the RE5 part, RE4/5 control the same.

The thing about RE5 that I feel is similar to this game and very unlike RE4 is the player agency compared to enemy numbers and speed. RE4 had that shit down, while the characters feel very sluggish, or almost inept in RE5 in comparison due to the enemy and level designs (which seems to have been intentional due to co-op where the game actually does better, yet single player drastically suffers). For whatever reason it just felt super tanky going from RE4 to RE5 (and I had just replayed RE4 twice a month before playing RE5).

Lol this is amazing. And I don't change my opinion. The game is awesome until chapter 9/10. Chapter 10 and 11 were horrible but I'm going to give it another shot. I'm also interested in NG+. Do you get more ammo?

If you want something "amazing", finish the game on Nightmare and then NG+ it on Survival after unlocking the
brass knuckles.
Chapters 11 and 12 are not so great (they are actually quite easy on Survival compared to Nightmare/Akumu though...ughh!). The next good chapter is 13 and most of 14, and then 15 is just kind of there.

Man, 9 and 10 were some of my favorites, 11 and 12 is when the game drops the ball but 13/14 pick it back up.

Haven't tried NG+ yet but folks saying upgrading pistol stock to rank 4 or 5 to get more ammo weren't joking. I went from rank 3 to 4 and had 25/25 rounds in a matter of minutes, prior to that I rarely ever had more than 10-15 rounds at once.

that sounds good.

9 would be the best without
Ruvik
. That was so annoying.

Lucent

Yes, but there's really only two parts of that chapter that are really shitty. The second part of the first action sequence
the basement
is actually quite damn easy, and when I finally passed it, I did it without even knowing what I was doing was far more effective than I first realized due to me cowering off screen under the stairs.
if you simply use a flash bolt and do NOT attack the first three enemies, no more will spawn as long as they remain alive. 3-4 flash bolts upgraded to 13s should be enough to get you past that section with ease.

The middle, and most action packed section of that chapter is actually fairly easy compared to the very first and last sequences. Just abuse Joseph and ladders. :)

I'm gonna keep this in mind when I do the chapter. lol

I still really love the look of the environments and stuff in this game. All of that is awesome. But the further I get in Akumu the more I realize how exploitable this game can be. I can die in one hit, but seeing as how you can get through this in such a mode makes the "normal" mode sooo much easier. I guess it's like any initial playthrough though. The first time playing through RE4 was super intense because I had never encountered such an experience before and I didn't know what to expect while playing. Now I know what is gonna happen and take care of everything with ease. The Last of Us and The Evil Within are the same way. Really intense and constant sense of "oh cool new environments and stuff" and being cautious because you don't know what's around the corner. But now it's like I'm just prepared and taking advantage of my prior knowledge and experience to make the game much easier. I know what upgrades to focus on so I'm not leaving behind ammo and stuff. I'm upgrading my flash bolts and harpoons since they're very useful and only cost 2 parts. And I'm leaving lockers full of ammo and stuff behind in case I ever fall too low.

I really wish there was a way you could play through games like it's your first time over and over. lol. Just a pointless rant but I really hope that somehow we can get a game that's truly scary next time. Like scares you every time. Dunno if that's possible or not but I can dream.

So it was indeed a bug. I went back to my save from an hour back and played it all through again. This time the chainsaw guy came immediately. Happy it works now, but kinda sucks that 2 hours of my Saturday were wasted.

Sanctuary

I'm gonna keep this in mind when I do the chapter. lol

I still really love the look of the environments and stuff in this game. All of that is awesome. But the further I get in Akumu the more I realize how exploitable this game can be. I can die in one hit, but seeing as how you can get through this in such a mode makes the "normal" mode sooo much easier.

Yeah, I said going back to Survival after finishing Akumu felt almost like a vaccation. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion.

I really wish there was a way you could play through games like it's your first time over and over. lol. Just a pointless rant but I really hope that somehow we can get a game that's truly scary next time. Like scares you every time. Dunno if that's possible or not but I can dream.

Maybe if you live long enough and are still gaming at that point you can.

Lucent

Yeah, I said going back to Survival after finishing Akumu felt almost like a vaccation. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion.

Maybe if you live long enough and are still gaming at that point you can.

lol Yeah. When I beat this mode I'm gonna go crazy with my
knuckles
. Gonna take my revenge.
Fist of the North Star style.
=P

I've been typing out every place I find a map fragment in a notepad through my two playthroughs. I'm sure someone has them written out somewhere, but I was doing that for myself just in case. I think I've found about 20 on my own so I just need the other 8.

Fuck yeah! Finally killed you-know-who from chapter ten to get the trophy in first playthrough! It took me about 20 to 30 tries because I keep dying at the fire traps because I couldn't see where you-know-who was coming from.

Screw all those youtube guides that uses the rocket launcher!

Lucael

Finally at Chapter 12 and 13 I'm enjoying the game again, even if more action-oriented. I managed to get through the first
ambulance
section barely without ammunition but you can always learn some tricks like the enemies with
dynamite, if you let them trigger it
and give them a melee hit, they'll try to react and then
explode
. Never too late too find out :p Plus I liked the
hotel
pace.

You can do a lot of criticism on the game but the enviroments design and lights are the best I've seen in a survival horror.

Braag

Soooo, a weird glitch happened which made the CH10 boss a joke.

I shot a stun bolt at it while it tried to grab me from inside one of the rooms and the stun bolt froze it completely... like the boss just didn't move and froze. I couldn't get out of the room either since it was on the way. I started to punch it and after nearly 1 minute of non stop punching... it died. Easiest boss in the game :p
I also got the "Ammo Conservationist (Kill 25 enemies with melee attacks)" for killing it which made it even more hilarious...

So does anyone know if the hidden map pieces unlock new weapons/ costumes/ anything?

You get the
burst handgun and high penetration sniper rifle, they work similar as the double barrel shotgun as you can switch between the two. Unlike the double barrel shotgun though the burst handgun and high pen sniper rifle receive the same stat bonuses that you put into the normal versions.

ZehDon

Inconsistent is a word that I'll use to describe some games on a rather regular basis (I should play less Sonic games), this brings me to a little conundrum of sorts when it comes to The Evil Within because after just throwing around that word all willy nilly all this time I've come face to face with the embodiment of Inconsistency within a videogame, it's like a need a new word to truly summarise this game...
Yeah, inconsistent is easily the word of the day with this game. Playing through Chapter 3 at the moment, and I'm still fighting the game's systems more than the enemies. It's a mess.

The reticle system is designed to deliberately not operate the same close up as it does at range, due to the lack of spatial awareness that the player is given. This is obviously to create tension as enemies get closer. Ok, cool. Resident Evil 4 addressed the issue of fairness of this mechanic with a laser sight, showing the player what was happening. The Evil Within says fuck you.
The sprinting system is also wildly inconsistent. Sometimes, you're puffed and suffer a movement penalty when the meter runs out. Ok, make sense. Except, sometimes it happens before the meter runs out. The lack of feedback to the player in this regard is deafening.
The stealth systems are good 75% of the time, which just isn't good enough. Sneak, and the enemies can't hear you, except when they can. The Last of Us featured very similar stealth gameplay, but its rock solid systems enabled a degree of predictability that ensured that it was fair. Joel died because you messed up, and didn't think things through. In The Evil Within, you died because fuck you.
The camera gets stuck on objects in one situation and not in others, seemingly at random. Sometimes it'll move through a bale of hay, sometimes it gets stuck. Trying to work through an encounter, I'm finding myself just stealth killing bad guys to avoid having to deal with the camera in a firefight. That's the wrong kind of incentive.

Virtually all of the above could be forgiven however, except that the FOV and aspect ratio issue is ruining the game. Frustrating to the point of buyers remorse.
I looked into it last night, comparing it to several other third person games, and it appears that the FOV works around something closer to a 16:9 aspect ratio. However, the black bars create an aspect ratio closer to 2.35:1, without increasing the FOV. Getting used to the black bars requires the the player to perceive the black bars as part of the image, rather than the edges of the image, using spatial reasoning to fill in the blanks. I'd go as far as to say that the aspect ratio feels non-deliberate, and the FOV was never corrected once the change was made.
At range it's not an issue, however anything closer than 6 or so meters, and it becomes difficult to follow the movement of the objects and characters in 3D space. The FOV is just wrong, and it's borderline game breaking for me. Fighting against the aiming, the crushed blacks, questionable collision detection, questionable stealth mechanics and inconsistent camera is more than enough, but fuck it - I can put up with that crap for a solid survival horror experience. But the FOV creates issues with my basic ability to play the game.

I should've grabbed it on PC, so I could mod it out. Such a disappointment.

You get the
burst handgun and high penetration sniper rifle, they work similar as the double barrel shotgun as you can switch between the two. Unlike the double barrel shotgun though the burst handgun and high pen sniper rifle receive the same stat bonuses that you put into the normal versions.

Thanks, that's actually pretty cool.

Sanctuary

The stealth systems are good 75% of the time, which just isn't good enough. Sneak, and the enemies can't hear you, except when they can. The Last of Us featured very similar stealth gameplay, but its rock solid systems enabled a degree of predictability that ensured that it was fair. Joel died because you messed up, and didn't think things through. In The Evil Within, you died because fuck you.

You have some very valid points, but this isn't one of them. The enemies are extremely predictable in this game, and if you're playing on Survival or Casual you can literally walk right behind an enemy until a few feet away before needing to crouch. If you're getting this sense of "randomness", it's because you didn't watch their patrol routine before attempting to move in.

You get the

The
rifle seems very useful, but the handgun not much at all since you can already chew through ammo with the default pistol that's maxed out if you keep firing as quick as you can. You can already sometimes drop enemies with a single bullet to the leg anyway, and similarly it's a waste to shoot multiple bullets at their head rapidly.

-MD-

You have some very valid points, but this isn't one of them. The enemies are extremely predictable in this game, and if you're playing on Survival or Casual you can literally walk right behind an enemy until a few feet away before needing to crouch. If you're getting this sense of "randomness", it's because you didn't watch their patrol routine before attempting to move in.

I think folks are trying to sneak up on enemies that can't be stealth killed and are alerting them thinking the game isn't working

Enemies have the most obvious patrol patterns in this game on survival, they walk forward and stand still for like 10 seconds do a 180 walk the opposite direction and stand there for 10 seconds. The 1 or 2 times I flubbed a stealth kill was 100% my fault.

Lucent

This. They also kind of turn a bit to the left and right when scanning the area in front of them. I just kind of sway a bit with them. I've never had an enemy unfairly kill me while sneaking. They only did if I was too late in making my move and they turned around or if an enemy I didn't see saw me and alerted the other enemies. The
fake Ruviks
will notice your ass though, that's for sure. lol

Finished chapter 6 earlier today. Didn't care for the boss. Also
having to go back because Joseph lost his damn glasses lol. Glad I figured out you could just grab the glasses and run without having to fight him...didn't want to use any more of my ammo

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm at Chapter 11 right now. By the looks of it, almost finishing it:
I have just gotten past that awful on-rails section
. Whoever thought it was a good idea... oh, sorry. Artistic vision, I guess. Still, pretty shitty section, if you ask me.

The last couple chapters haven't been good, IMO. I enjoyed my time in
the mansion
, but everything since then has been consistently... inconsistent.

Also, fuck the boss fights. They can kill you in one hit and when you are helplessly roaming around the area of the fight trying to understand what you're supposed to do, you're probably going to get killed. And you seem to get one boss fight after another boss fight after another one in these later chapters.

Braag

YAgb.gif

They aren't really worth the trap parts anyway.

I do seem to use the harpoon bolts far more than anything else, stun or freeze bolts only occasionally.
The rest I seem to ignore most of the time.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Oh, the fighting chance pack.. Forgot I had that. Never entered the code.

In chapter 11 now –
fought that fake and got into a save room
. I've got a lot of gel now, any tips on what to focus them on for the remainder of the game?

Anyhow, I didn't think 10 was that bad, apart from the very annoying boss fights. One hit kills and all that, again.

They aren't really worth the trap parts anyway.

I disagree when it comes to Incendiary. I've eliminated 4 or 5 normal enemies at once with a single one of those, and they do a good deal of damage to bosses (about the same as a non-upgraded Explosive bolt, and less dangerous to yourself in many cases).

Sanctuary

YAgb.gif

I do seem to use the harpoon bolts far more than anything else, stun or freeze bolts only occasionally.
The rest I seem to ignore most of the time.

Flash bolt (min 10s, 13s+ preferrable) is the most useful of them all with a fully upgraded Harpoon being a close second, but mostly for bosses or one specific enemy type. Both Spark and Freezing have their uses, but they are so infrequent that you can get by soley with those you find.

I disagree when it comes to Incendiary. I've eliminated 4 or 5 normal enemies at once with a single one of those, and they do a good deal of damage to bosses (about the same as a non-upgraded Explosive bolt, and less dangerous to yourself in many cases).

Yay? You can do the same for half the trap parts with Flash. Incendiary is also just as dangerous (or not) as Explosive for the same reasons. It's also more expensive.

ZehDon

You have some very valid points, but this isn't one of them. The enemies are extremely predictable in this game, and if you're playing on Survival or Casual you can literally walk right behind an enemy until a few feet away before needing to crouch. If you're getting this sense of "randomness", it's because you didn't watch their patrol routine before attempting to move in...
Thanks for the response. It's strange that we're having such dissimilar experiences with the stealth system. However, I don't feel that I'm doing something wrong.
I had a save in Chapter 3, before
fighting the guy with the chainsaw in the barn
. I had four guys left to take down, scattered about the level. Each time I died, I'd replay the same four take downs. You're correct in that you don't have to crouch until you're extremely close, however their detection and reaction was extremely wonky.
One guy was breaking through a window as soon as the game loaded. One time, I was able to walk up right behind him and then crouch for the kill. Another time, he turned around before I was all that close. It took several attempts to finish this section. In the end, I just blew his head off because I was tired of inconsistently being detected and dying. A separate guy was standing idle beneath
the marksman with the rifle on the walkway, over looking the area
. One attempt, I was able to shoot at him from cover without him reacting. Another attempt, I tried luring him out with a bottle. Some times it worked, sometimes he didn't react at all. One time, he was charging at me as soon as I moved, right after loading the game - despite being outside of his sight and hearing range. In the end, I just shot him in the face with a shotgun because I was well past over it.

The system is predictable in how it operates (sight and sound), but the reaction and behaviour of the enemies within the system seems to have some kind of RNG in place. Or, at least that's how it feels to me so far.

Top Bottom