• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

I really don't remember ever having experienced anything like that during my first playthrough, and I've finished it twice on Survival and once on Akumu.

I will say however though that the bottle mechanic seems entirely "off". If the lower difficulties are supposed to make stealth easier, then why do most enemies simply not react to a bottle crashing, while on Nightmare/Akumu you can be guaranteed that at least a single enemy (sometimes up to five) will rush to that location?

I think the issue with the loading is that while the game is loading on the console, enemy AI activates long before the everything else has even loaded and the player has any control. Playing on the PC, having ~2.5s loading times this issue essentially doesn't exist.

Done with it.

What a parcel of shite. Those who enjoy it, I'm happy for you, but I found this game completely terrible and the only reason I persisted with it was due to my own pig headiness of wanting to 'get my monies worth'.

There's very little I enjoyed about this. The gameplay and story is garbage. The only good bit was the fan service, which I think says a lot - if this game didn't have Shinji Mikami's name attached to it, I'm not convinced people would give it the second chances/time of day.

KorrZ

Done with it.

What a parcel of shite. Those who enjoy it, I'm happy for you, but I found this game completely terrible and the only reason I persisted with it was due to my own pig headiness of wanting to 'get my monies worth'.

There's very little I enjoyed about this. The gameplay and story is garbage. The only good bit was the fan service, which I think says a lot - if this game didn't have Shinji Mikami's name attached to it, I'm not convinced people would give it the second chances/time of day.

Wow that is uh...very negative. Could you maybe go into a bit more detail about what you dislike so much about it?

I just finished Chapter 9 last night and have largely been enjoying my time with it thus far.

ZehDon

I really don't remember ever having experienced anything like that during my first playthrough, and I've finished it twice on Survival and once on Akumu...
That is bizarre. I'm playing on Survival, and as I explained, the stealth stuff just feels random at times. 75% of the time it generally works the way you'd expect, but that's just not enough for me to use consistently.

...I think the issue with the loading is that while the game is loading on the console, enemy AI activates long before the everything else has even loaded and the player has any control. Playing on the PC, having ~2.5s loading times this issue essentially doesn't exist.
Hmmm, I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Playing on my PS4. I really should have grabbed it on the PC. Oh well, I'll suffer through it. Maybe it'll grab me eventually, or maybe they'll fix it with patches. I doubt they'll fix the FOV on the consoles, though.

Wow that is uh...very negative. Could you maybe go into a bit more detail about what you dislike so much about it?

I just finished Chapter 9 last night and have largely been enjoying my time with it thus far.

Nearly everything.

The animations, the melee, the AI, and something I rarely (if ever) complain about the Field of View all combine to create a really lacklustre/frustrating affair when it comes to the combat. To compound the issue when you aim the screen zooms in FURTHER.

The story is just... so vanilla. Even with it cut up and disjointed. A friend and I jokingly called it ~Chapter 3...
So when the whole terrible ending comes it's just... ergh

Then there's the levels that seemingly never end, mixed in with some of very frustrating boss fights that while suggest they should be clever and engaging lacked any real fun. I'm not even going to complain about the 1 hit kills, as I get 'it' - it's part of the game.

The leveling up system felt pointless. I never really felt like I benefited from any of the upgrades I pooled together.

The animation clipping, breaking and interruption is horrible. There are times when complete cycles of animation just snap from one action to the other with no transition. Such as attempting to set a body on fire, only for a zombie to grab you. I wouldn't care if it felt organic, but the field of reach on the animation just seems to pull you in beyond what is 'natural'.

If this Deadly Premonition 2 I would be more forgiven, but it's not.

small question: Evil Within Wiki says that the Alter-Egos
die instantly when you get a headshot on the dominant personality, this being the more monstrous one. Anyone confirm this? I just figured you had to destroy both heads.

Neff

if this game didn't have Shinji Mikami's name attached to it, I'm not convinced people would give it the second chances/time of day.

What you'd undoubtedly have is many demanding why it shows so many of Mikami's esoteric qualities, not to mention so many of RE1/RE4's transparently blatant ones.

It really doesn't need the Mikami name on it to establish its pedigree, trust me.

mattp

god i fucking hate that you can't
stealth kill the "zombie" guys with 2 heads and the longer arms. whatever theyre called

Lucent

Done with it.

Disagree with all of this. Sorry you didn't like it.

I'm not so stupid that I'd force myself to love a game just because someone has their name on it though. I feel sorry for anyone who does. =/

Sanctuary

stealth kill the "zombie" guys with 2 heads and the longer arms. whatever theyre called

They move extremely slow though. You don't even have to waste much ammo either during a few sequences involving them.

Verger

Banned
Well, I'm on Chapter 14 and therefore likely near the end. I've really enjoyed the game, even the "bad parts" which I guess would be 1-2, 8-9, 11-12. I actually liked all of the aforementioned Chapters.

1: I think the game could have used a better build-up to things starting instead of an instant meltdown like what happened. Alien: Isolation did this better.

2: Not much happens, but I think it gives the player a good enough idea of how combat in this game works and how enemies typically work

8: This is actually probably still my least favorite chapter. Because nothing happens. No new plot points or enemies and the environment wasn't really realized to its potential. At least its super short.

9: I didn't have the issue that everyone seems to be having with
Ruvik instantly teleporting right in front of me
I probably only got killed by him twice I think. Once I figured out to hide then things worked out since you get a pretty decent reprieve after successfully hiding. Plus I loved the setting.

11: I think this and the next chapter try to be more of the Action genre and that's probably too off-putting for most people, especially when it is probably inferior to a game like RE4 in those terms. There were a few areas here when I kept dying due to the enemies. But I did manage to get past that one part in one piece.

12: I think I got through this chapter without dying actually. I do agree with any complaints that the stuff in this chapter seemed a bit "half-hearted" in terms of execution
The Spider "Boss" really seemed odd. I Couldn't tell if I was hurting it or not and then it was killed by an "event" anyway. Then you've got the Mounted Gun sequence which also seemed pretty lackluster since there didn't see to be much involved with it.

But definitely has been worth the money. I'm at 18 hours and I know I'll go back for new game (though probably after I get back to Alien: Isolation)

Actually the enemies I disliked the most were
Those invisible Zombies in Chapter 5
and thank goodness those seem to have only been relegated to that one chapter.

Riposte

If it was easy to let off a match in a crowd, many encounters would probably be trivialized. Still annoying though lol.

Lucent

If it was easy to let off a match in a crowd, many encounters would probably be trivialized. Still annoying though lol.

lol. I can just imagine flicking some matches at them. -flicks match at a guy's face. watches him catch fire- MATCHES OP NEED 2 B NERFED!

Verger

Banned
Actually wait. Does burning the enemy corpses do anything? Or am I just wasting matches? Because I cannot recall seeing a dead enemy (one that left an item or gel) get back up

realcZk

Picked this up today. It's alright so far, on chapter three. Really runs poorly though (ps4). Huge framerAte drops and choppy animation.

Actually wait. Does burning the enemy corpses do anything? Or am I just wasting matches? Because I cannot recall seeing a dead enemy (one that left an item or gel) get back up

Matches can be used to save ammo. If you down an enemy and it's still moving torch it. Enemies that ragdoll or drop items never res, so if you're lighting those up then yeah you're wasting matches.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hate those things.
Even with maxed crit on the handgun, it takes 5+ headshots on the monster head to kill them

The most cost efficient option is
harpoon + match
unless you're just running low on parts and have a surplus of other ammo types.

Oh yeah forgot about the harpoons.
Headshotthing them with the harpoon works too. Not sure if it needs to be level 3 or 4 to work.

Finished the game on Survival a few days ago at 21 hours with 75 deaths. What a fucking ride that was! BTW, has anyone gotten the brass knuckles? I noticed them on the model viewer.

I'm only on chapter 10 (been taking it pretty slowly) but whoa at the difference upgrading my TV has made when it comes to this game in particular.

I couldn't really look past the letterbox thing when playing on my previous 32", but yesterday I got a 50" which makes the previous TV look tiny - the difference is astounding in general but with TEW especially.

In a way I regret not just holding off until I got this TV to start playing TEW because it's so much better now that I'm not distracted by the black bars.

I finally unabashedly love this game, 10 days after I first started playing it... I really can't wait to get to the end and give it another playthrough on a higher difficulty.

Also graphically it looks really nice on this TV - a lot of PS3 games I've played on it have a somewhat dated/not-very-HD look whereas this looks awesome to me.

Sanctuary

Finished the game on Survival a few days ago at 21 hours with 75 deaths. What a fucking ride that was! BTW, has anyone gotten the brass knuckles? I noticed them on the model viewer.

You need to
beat Nightmare (or Akumu). And they seriously explode enemies and can even kill mini-bosses in a number of hits.

Malalaw

So I just beat the game, was a very great experience overall. Was hoping for a little more on the last chapter though..it just felt kinda meh towards the end.

Lucent

The most cost efficient option is
harpoon + match
unless you're just running low on parts and have a surplus of other ammo types.

Beat the game on Nightmare, and then just go back and Fist of the North Star their heads off.

So I just tried your strategy about using the
3-4 flash bolts to blind the initial wave of enemies after you go downstairs and it didn't seem to work. More came and I didn't kill even one of them.
Damn. =l

pupcoffee

That final fight was just stupid. .

But you know what, I'm kind of glad the game showed mercy. Being stuck on final bosses always sucks.

What's "the bit" of chapter 11 everyone hates?

Lucent

Man chapter 6 on AKUMU is a bastard. I doubt many of the other chapters after are as annoying as this. Such a small place.

Sanctuary

So I just tried your strategy about using the
3-4 flash bolts to blind the initial wave of enemies after you go downstairs and it didn't seem to work. More came and I didn't kill even one of them.
Damn. =l

Hmm, I wonder if it somehow functions differently between Survival and Nightmare+. I didn't do it the way I explained it on my Akumu run, but I was stepping out to occasionally pop a Flash bolt as a stalling tactic, while killing the 2-3 at a time that would run to me and that worked without any issues. On my more recent NG+ Survival, I did exactly how I described it and
nothing extra spawned. The three just stood there blinded the entire time.
You might want to just use another save such as one from NG+ and drop it to Survival and pick that chapter to see.

You are talking about
the basement (or first floor I guess) section right? If you can't get that to work, just do what I did on my Akumu run and cower like a little [insert favorite replacement for "coward"] under the stairwell/hallway area. They will funnel in towards you in a narrow fashion making them MUCH easier to handle.

Wynnebeck

Banned
On Chapter 3 and this game is.....kinda janky. I mean, I love the atmosphere and the nods to RE4 so far, but the gameplay is rough. It's little niggling things that irritate me. If I can light people on fire, why can't my melee "push" people into a bonfire? for example. I'll stick with it and see it starts to gel as I get further in.

Lucent

Hmm, I wonder if it somehow functions differently between Survival and Nightmare+. I didn't do it the way I explained it on my Akumu run, but I was stepping out to occasionally pop a Flash bolt as a stalling tactic, while killing the 2-3 at a time that would run to me and that worked without any issues. On my more recent NG+ Survival, I did exactly how I described it and
nothing extra spawned. The three just stood there blinded the entire time.
You might want to just use another save such as one from NG+ and drop it to Survival and pick that chapter to see.

You are talking about
the basement section right? If you can't get that to work, just do what I did on my Akumu run and cower like a little [insert favorite replacement for "coward"] under the stairwell/hallway area. They will funnel in towards you in a narrow fashion making them MUCH easier to handle.

Yeah I'm basically chilling
under the stairs but man it's brutal. Cuz I blind some but the new ones coming in aren't blinded and sometimes make their way through. I'm only on my second try though because I've been having a hard time getting through the initial spot without using a crazy amount of ammo. Joseph is just so damn slow at disarming the doors. =l

Sanctuary

On Chapter 3 and this game is.....kinda janky. I mean, I love the atmosphere and the nods to RE4 so far, but the gameplay is rough. It's little niggling things that irritate me. If I can light people on fire, why can't my melee "push" people into a bonfire? for example. I'll stick with it and see it starts to gel as I get further in.

There are many things in most games that do not mimic the obvious things you could or should be doing in specific situations in real life. It's a game.

Yeah I'm basically chilling
under the stairs but man it's brutal. Cuz I blind some but the new ones coming in aren't blinded and sometimes make their way through. I'm only on my second try though because I've been having a hard time getting through the initial spot without using a crazy amount of ammo. Joseph is just so damn slow at disarming the doors. =l

I guess I should have clarified;
I wasn't using flash bolts to keep the enemies that were rushing to me blinded, I was using it to help out Joseph. Those that were blinded in the hallway were just a happy coincidence. I mostly just used a shotgun + match tactic, or if enough were already at the end of the hall, shock/blind. I was standing under the stairs, at the very back where you get the green gel. Can't remember if it was the gel was there on Akumu, but you should know the spot. Basically behind where you dropped down from.

Lucent

Man I just want to get through this chapter since it seems like one of the hardest ones. Thought it'd be nice to make it through at least chapter 8 before Sunset Overdrive comes out and takes up my time. There's just so much going on in Chapters 6.

Sanctuary

Man I just want to get through this chapter since it seems like one of the hardest ones. Thought it'd be nice to make it through at least chapter 8 before Sunset Overdrive comes out and takes up my time. There's just so much going on in Chapters 6.

I fucking hated that chapter. Initially though, the easiest part of the initial sequence
the ground floor/basement
was giving me the most problems because I didn't last more than a single wave, and wasn't learning anything. Finally I just said "fuck it, I'm going to try something that probably won't work" but it did, and it worked on the first attempt. I had read about the tactic I was suggesting to you after I had already passed it, and tried it for myself on my current run and it does in fact work. At least on Survival, which has me scratching my head. I know encounters can change, but waves like that should not.

I'm still not sure which I disliked the most. Chapter 6, the next to last boss on chapter 10
chapter 10 was actually quite nice on Akumu until Laura, and the garage boss was a fucking joke in comparison.
or all of chapter 12.

As for the very first part of chapter 6, you shouldn't be using more than
1-2 handgun bullets, 2-3 flash bolts and a grenade. You need to kite the hell out of those enemies and only flash when there are 4-5 and try to take out what you can during the blind.
IIRC the total sequence is between 60s - 70s.

Lucent

I fucking hated that chapter. Initially though, the easiest part of the initial sequence
the ground floor/basement
was giving me the most problems because I didn't last more than a single wave, and wasn't learning anything. Finally I just said "fuck it, I'm going to try something that probably won't work" but it did, and it worked on the first attempt. I had read about the tactic I was suggesting to you after I had already passed it and tried it for myself on my current run and it does in fact work. At least on Survival, which has me scratching my head. I know encounters can change, but waves like that should not.

Yeah I'm just really annoyed with this part right now. The handgun is practically useless here because you have a
small space and more than one thing rushing you with the instant grab and kill attack. I really wish they would've thrown a checkpoint after the initial part. So stressful. I might just have to say screw it and go a bit crazy with my resources. More than I usually would let myself use at least. Shouldn't be hard to regain it once I get out of this stupid part. I keep leaving stuff in the lockers for backup, too.

-sigh- I'll give myself 15 more minutes to try this. Either way I'm gonna call it a night. Can't believe I'm stuck here.

Swear I've done the 5 in a row without being discovered twice now and no mints.

I assume you mean the achievement. It's glitched for a lot of people, myself included. Completely deleting your save file and starting a new one seems to have worked for people who have tried that, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.

I've beaten the game on Survival as my first playthrough.

Wow, what a travesty. The game seemed to go out of its way to be as cheap as possible, as often as possible.

I took about 19 hours, and died 101 times. The vast majority of those deaths were terrible one-hit kills.

I don't know why they thought that many one-hit kills are a good idea. If one or two enemies have them, then perhaps they have some sort of useful effect -- "oh wow, that dude is way more dangerous than everything else!" But when nearly everything has a one-hit-kill, they don't have that effect -- instead they come off as cheap and lazy.

Instead of instilling a sense of danger and threat to an enemy, they just cause frustration and anger -- that's not 'fun'. It's not fun the
15th time the long-fingered spider lady one-hit kills you because you got stuck in a corner because of a camera issue.
. And you never 'learn' anything from it -- except not to get caught in the same bullshit situation.

Same with the dearth of ammunition. It went way beyond reasonable levels. In a survival horror game like this, resource management is key. Fun encounters are when you escape with your life and a couple of bullets left, not when you are thrown into yet another multiple-enemy encounter with literally no ammunition.

And even when there is ammunition, it doesn't do anything. I didn't piss away all my green gel on bow ties and caramel candies, I spent it on upgrading weapons and skills -- mostly the pistol. But it didn't matter, even if you walked into an encounter with max pistol rounds after hours of upgrading it, you still spent all those bullets and needed 20 more.

So, even if the game wasn't filled with cheap one-hit kills and useless weapons, the minute-to-minute pacing is terrible. While I did like that every chapter seemed unique, they game never really gave you the room to breathe. There were few low points, just one bullshit encounter after another. There are no high points if every point is a high point; it all averages out. Once you realize this, all the tension is gone -- just anger and frustration.

I cannot say much for the story, as at some point I just stopped caring. I just wanted to complete it and get it over with.

The creature design seemed cool, but once you realize
it's all in someone's head, part of the intrigue is lost. Hideous monsters are cool in the real world, but in someone's imagination they are just boring -- there's no tension there when nobody was ever actually transformed into the monster, it's all just a conjuring of someone's brain. If there's not really a body, there's no real body horror.

I think this game learned more from Resident Evil 6 than Resident Evil 4. It's got a lot of the same problems that made RE6 a terrible game:
  • Both are far too long
  • Both have so many 'high points' they grow ridiculous and lose their intended effect
  • Both mistake 'no ammo' for 'resource management'. When you are running around in Chris's campaign in RE6, and the character is part of a military force, yet cannot find a bullet in a war zone, it's kinda infuriating. Same goes for The Evil Within -- I cannot count how many encounters I entered with no ammunition.
  • It's full of so much unfair/bullshit damage. In RE6 this was unavoidable damage from scripted events, in The Evil Within it's one-hit kills from everything.

Oh, and let's not forget the aspect ratio/FOV. I played the PS4 version. I sat on a couch and played on a TV 10 feet away. The aspect ratio could likely work if the FOV was reasonable, but it wasn't -- not even for TV play. It never felt claustrophobic or cinematic in a way that enhanced the game, it just constantly felt like I couldn't 'see'. I don't know if it was another issue like contrast or design, but it seemed a taxing effort to just 'see' what was going on in the game.

Anyway, as a fan of all the Resident Evils through RE5, I was really looking forward to this game -- but it was an abusive relationship from start to finish. It never really seemed to understand what I wanted or needed out of a survival horror game, and instead just kept abusing me with one-hit kills and bullshit encounter after bullshit encounter.

In Resident Evil 4, each encounter was a puzzle -- challenging, but solvable with some effort. I would escape by the skin of my teeth and love it. With The Evil Within, each encounter was an idiotic, unfair shitstorm. Each one was a multiple-attempt affair, with me only progressing once the random events aligned just enough for me to survive.

I really hope there's no Evil Within 2. Or at least I hope they learned from their mistakes.

^
Lol maybe you're just not as good at hard games as you might think, especially when it seems you can't use the weapons effectively and have problems managing resources. I'm no survival horror expert (first timer) but after the first 4 chapters I've never had a problem with resource or using the weapons, mostly because I adapt my playstyle to what the game presented to me. It also helps to be creative instead of just "Trying to shoot the thing".

Also, never giving you room to breathe? How much cool down do you need? Lol.

small question: Evil Within Wiki says that the Alter-Egos
die instantly when you get a headshot on the dominant personality, this being the more monstrous one. Anyone confirm this? I just figured you had to destroy both heads.

I can confirm that shooting the monster head would kill them faster, personal recommendation is to use the Sniper rifle. But aside from flash or bottles, the normal rules apply if you aim for the monster head to YOUR right (It's left).

-MD-

In Resident Evil 4, each encounter was a puzzle -- challenging, but solvable with some effort. I would escape by the skin of my teeth and love it.

Huh?

Gotta agree with Chaos here it seems like you tried to play this like a regular shootbang and didn't really grasp how to use the game's mechanics to your advantage. If you're escaping by the skin of your teeth in something like RE4 it's understandable why you'd think a game like this is "unfair".

OOvKF3b.gif

It sure is a puzzle.

:/

Nemmy

I'm sorry but your post sounds like you're either really bad at this game, or a really sore loser, or both.

I played on Survival and while I had situations when I had a combined total of five bullets after a fight, there was like a single digit number of those in a nearly twenty hour game. And they mostly happened after I blew away all my ammo in some stupid manner. If you were THAT badly out of ammo in TEW all the time, then the problem is in you and not in the game - plenty other people in this thread already stated they had more than enough ammo most of the time. So yeah, resource management works in the game.
Your RE4/RE6 comment reinforces this impression BTW, you're a death machine most of the time in those games and ammo is hardly scarce in those, as well.

I don't get your length complaint, I actually thought that TEW never outstayed its welcome (which RE4 kinda did, and RE6 definitely did, but RE6 is like twice longer than TEW, so yeah). I just wish the pacing of the story was a bit different, many chapters seemed to forget it even existed. There was plenty of down time, too,
aside from maybe ch 11 and 12
, how much more would you want?
I don't get what you mean by "useless weapons" either. I felt each weapon was quite beastly if used right, so with the limited ammo it felt like each shot you fired was really important. How did you mostly upgrade the basic revolver and still have trouble?
Get a 30% or more critical chance and go for the heads unless the enemy has a mask, in which case go for the knees -> match toss.
Did you aim for the chests or what?

Top Bottom