• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

It's too bad that the criticism of Chapter 9 is largely coming down to "ugh it's terrible so random" instead of that it's boring and pretty much feels like cheesing the game to "do it right." It's more of a hindrance than an engaging moment.

It's too bad that the criticism of Chapter 9 is largely coming down to "ugh it's terrible so random" instead that it's boring and pretty much feels like cheesing the game to "do it right." It's more of a hindrance than an engaging moment.

I need to pick up my xX-AKUMU-420Xx playthrough (just finished Bayonetta) so I can experience chapter 9 again...assuming I make it that far. My first playthrough was flawless,
Ruvik spawning once per area and avoidable each time.
Dumb luck or something more? We'll find out. I'll make sure to stream that shit.

T.O.P

Banned
Jankiest greatest game of all time

I'm fuckin loving it

Up to ch12 (switched back to Survival after i lost the right way on ch7 lol)

-MD-

Jankiest greatest game of all time

I'm fuckin loving it

Up to ch12 (switched back to Survival after i lost the right way on ch7 lol)

I thought if you dropped the difficulty down it doesn't you increase the difficulty again?

I need to pick up my xX-AKUMU-420Xx playthrough (just finished Bayonetta) so I can experience chapter 9 again...assuming I make it that far. My first playthrough was flawless,
Ruvik spawning once per area and avoidable each time.
Dumb luck or something more? We'll find out. I'll make sure to stream that shit.

Playing through Bayonetta once is just the tutorial. You aren't finished. Plus the second one might even be better.

Xtortionist pls, keep playing true greatness. The Evil Within can wait.

Playing through Bayonetta once is just the tutorial. You aren't finished. Plus the second one might even be better.

I would have already started again on hard if those gimmick sections weren't a thing :l
Shit just gets to me, idk.

-MD-

People are telling me Bayonetta is like the king of that genre? I thought it was pretty average when it came out, entirely forgettable too.

Restarted the game from zero, i figured i should've menaged better my stuff instead of being a crybaby

Ended up playing all night lol

Good on you.

i figured i should've menaged better my stuff instead of being a crybaby

Should be the thread title.

I would have already started again on hard if those gimmick sections weren't a thing :l
Shit just gets to me, idk.

Nobody really likes em, but they make up like 15 minutes of a 10 hour game. The core gameplay is pretty flawless. It's like the Mario Galaxy of action games in terms of controls and offensive feedback. Plus there's so much to unlock.

People are telling me Bayonetta is like the king of that genre? I thought it was pretty average when it came out, entirely forgettable too.

Queen of the genre.

And whatever, you don't have to like it. Just know come judgement day the world will be separated into "Those who love Bayonetta" and "everyone else." You're just doomed, no biggie.

On topic: MIKAMIMIKAMIMIKAMI GET MY GLASSES SEBASTIAN CHAPTER 12 WHY

Nobody really likes em, but they make up like 15 minutes of a 10 hour game. The core gameplay is pretty flawless. It's like the Mario Galaxy of action games in terms of controls and offensive feedback. Plus there's so much to unlock.

On topic: MIKAMIMIKAMIMIKAMI GET MY GLASSES SEBASTIAN CHAPTER 12 WHY

The Space Harrier section feels like 30 minutes by itself lol.

I like the game! I'm just surprised how undisputed it is in its genre with the amount of gimmick sections I experienced. Of course, I haven't played DMC3 or NGB/NG2 or whatever else to compare. Didn't watch any playthroughs of Bayo before I played so these are my honest reactions. Probably just my personal tastes.

Re: TEW chapter 12 - that
turret
section is a guilty pleasure of mine. Enemies gib so good to it <3

Braag

Finished Ch11 last night... it wasn't as bad as I had heard it would be.
I found Ch10 to be more frustrating because of all the 1 hit klls.

-MD-

I don't think that dying and having to replay a section counts as trial and error. By that definition, every game that you aren't good at is "trial and error".

^^^

I'm assuming he ran through the trap in chapter 13, tripped a wire and ate spikes. Think I died once total in that whole chapter, hardly trial and error.

Great-God

Banned
Beat chapter 10 yesterday afternoon and it was the best so far-so much tension and chaos. The bosses in there are amazing too.
The big guys with a wood plank and hooks were so much fun, and the second Laura fight was also great. That timing for burning her with matches on bodies...
I also liked the trap room.
So far the game is pretty fucking great, and there seems to be a lot of depth, quite exploitable too. Also, the random enemy placement will keep speed runs from being a walk in the park.

Lucael

Clear in 20 hours, 96 deaths. I was expecting like a "211" count of shame :p

I liked the last chapter until the
last boss, the turret-thing and the bazooka were put of place for me, but not big deal.

About the instadeath, in the last chapter there's a good example how the game can be tense wihout relying on one-shot, I'm talking the room with
the two Keepers.
Yeah, it's supposed to be an easier fight than boss, but works well without being over punitive.

^^^

I'm assuming he ran through the trap in chapter 13, tripped a wire and ate spikes. Think I died once total in that whole chapter, hardly trial and error.

I didn't have any trouble in that part, using the
lightning bolt
was hinted by the one you find nearby. The spikes come a bit of sudden, not having that huge bars on screen around in a room so dark, would have been useful. I didn't see them until they came down.

Nibel

Tried some Akumu yesterday.

ibkjHd2cykXzEO.gif

This game is a Condemned 2 level of trainwreck. I just caved and switched to Casual mode because I can't take this shit any more and want to get it over with. And it's final insult is to now let me restart the whole chapter again...

Speaking of Condemnd 2. The discussion here heavily reminds me on the thread back then when I said how bad the game is and people here tried to prove me wrong.... I guess you guys just need some time to set in of how much Mikami has fucked up this time.

This game is a Condemned 2 level of trainwreck. I just caved and switched to Casual mode because I can't take this shit any more and want to get it over with. And it's final insult is to now let me restart the whole chapter again...

Speaking of Condemnd 2. The discussion here heavily reminds me on the thread back then when I said how bad the game is and people here tried to prove me wrong.... I guess you guys just need some time to set in of how much Mikami has fucked up this time.

I'd say this game couldn't fuck up as much as Condemned 2 for the simple fact that it didn't completely ruin an IP. Then again, I think TEW is really good.

Yes, give us peasants who like the game some time. I'm sure if I wait a couple weeks, it will all set in and I'll slowly realize that while I thought I was having a blast with the game, I was actually suffering my way through a gigantic pile of fuckup.

The real mindfuck of The Evil Within.

Also, this^^^

Nemmy

I guess you guys just need some time to set in of how much Mikami has fucked up this time.

Yes, give us peasants who like the game some time. I'm sure if I wait a couple weeks, it will all set in and I'll slowly realize that while I thought I was having a blast with the game, I was actually suffering my way through a gigantic pile of fuckup.

The real mindfuck of The Evil Within.

Going by your post history about this game, I decided that the game is just not for you. If I were you, I would have moved on from the game a long time ago.

Man, the
Keeper boss fight
in chapter 7 (or was it 8?) was amazing.

Starting chapter 9 now, I wonder how this will go going by the impressions here lol
Opinions, how do they work?

Liamc723

Or maybe...just maybe...it's you, and not us.

I love The Evil Within, and no amount of time is going to change that for me.

Ramza

Banned

I'm glad you told me this. You've saved me from enjoying the game. Thank you based Exorzist.

/s

jett

D-Member
Damn the
laura spider lady
boss fight in chapter 10 took over five rockets to kill in NG+. WTF? And what a shoddy "reward" too, lol.

Man im seriously lmao'ing here at some of the responses. This game is fantastic. It has some cheap moments, and i got pissed off at times, but god damn, the gunplay, the feedback from the weapons, the animations, the blowing a hole right through someones freaking head, all of it, is just so good. NG+ is amazing, because now you know exactly how to play the game and all previous complaints arent valid anymore. Fucking GOTY

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I just finished it. I can't say I liked it. It's a 3/5 when it's at its absolute best, but most of the time it's just a 2/5: bad. Most of my sentiments about the game echo those of many other people:

• Too much action, very few puzzles.
  • Too many boss battles, too close to each other.
  • Most bosses (and even some common enemies) can kill you with one hit, which, paired with the terrible FOV makes for very frustrating fights.
  • id Tech 5 is a shitty engine. I played on PC and had to force myself to play at 30 FPS, since the game wouldn't reach 60 FPS on my GTX 680 and it doesn't support SLI. I didn't want to be running my GPU at 70º all the time...
  • The characters are pretty dull, especially Joseph.
  • The plot is convoluted and yet, in the end, extremely basic.
  • What happened to
    Tatiana
    ? She just disappeared once you found her
    Missing Person poster
  • What about the whole subplot about Sebastian's
    wife and daughter
    ?
  • And then it just ends.
    ... or does it!?
    Yes, it does.
  • The last boss. Completely anti-climatic. Seriously.
    The mounted minigun. The rocket launcher. I was expecting John Romero's head to appear inside Ruvik's monster.

Maybe I was approaching this game with the wrong mindset. I was expecting a game like RE1, not like RE5. But, hey. It's done. Time to move on to Alien: Isolation!

hiex_

Banned
I'm still loving the game, but chapters 10 and especially 11 just feel so tedious. I dunno, I feel like I have to force myself to play it sometimes. I hope it picks up again soon because up til now I was having the best time.

Okay, I got passed the
fish monsters
and I'm enjoying it again.
Something about the hordes of enemies with automatic weapons really made the game feel like a chore, and then having to avoid the fish. I'm glad that whole segment was so short though. As soon as that ended the game got it's feel back.

stn

Question about chapter 3. So:

During the chapter I was running around doing stuff, in the background I could always hear the chainsaw guy groaning and grunting. But I could never find him. After killing everyone else on the map I got sort of lost with what to do. I randomly went into the barn, something exploded for whatever reason, and the chainsaw guy came out. Is this normal? I'm wondering if the AI just got "stuck" and if he was supposed to come out earlier?

Thanks.

Question about chapter 3. So:

During the chapter I was running around doing stuff, in the background I could always hear the chainsaw guy groaning and grunting. But I could never find him. After killing everyone else on the map I got sort of lost with what to do. I randomly went into the barn, something exploded for whatever reason, and the chainsaw guy came out. Is this normal? I'm wondering if the AI just got "stuck" and if he was supposed to come out earlier?

Thanks.

He get triggered when you go touch the chain and Sebastian says he needs a chainsaw to cut through the chain. When you enter the barn after doing this he is then coming to attack you so you can get the chainsaw from him and head to chapter 4.

That's just trying to shit on people that actually like this game which is wrong. You don't like it. Stop playing it. I've put over 30 hours into this game between various versions. Though by your logic, after a week I'll suddenly get mental diarea, realize the game sucks, and never play it again? How terrible, terrible wrong you are.

All right, so I'm at chapter 15 and
A very strong enemy keeps shooting rocket launchers at me, while the rest bumrush me. Is this going to be a thing until the end of the chapter? I didn't die or anything, but it's quite annoying knowing that an enemy is constantly firing extemely damaging rockets at you while you move around.

that's the only time that in particular occurs

Nemmy

All right, so I'm at chapter 15 and
A very strong enemy keeps shooting rocket launchers at me, while the rest bumrush me. Is this going to be a thing until the end of the chapter? Not difficult to deal with, but I hope frequent rocket launchers don't become a thing. That being said, IIRC this might be the final chapter, so I'm sure that won't happen.

It's just this one fight. Plus, you're like fifteen minutes away from the end of the game.

Man, i don't know if it's because I just finished Alien: Isolation, but this game is not scary. At all. I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 7, but so far, It hasn't even been that tense.

I'm not saying that it's a bad game, mind you. But it feels more like a Sam Raimi type of horror. I'm having a lot a of fun.

Fuck the loading times though..

Ateron

That's just trying to shit on people that actually like this game which is wrong. You don't like it. Stop playing it. I've put over 30 hours into this game between various versions. Though by your logic, after a week I'll suddenly get mental diarea, realize the game sucks, and never play it again? How terrible, terrible wrong you are.

Dude, stop liking what he doesn't. What's so hard to understand about that?

I feel bad because I'm part of the problem too. I like this game.

myco666

Just finished the game on survival at 15:10:37 clear time and 56 deaths. How people get death counter above three-digit numbers is beyond me.

Really enjoyed the game. Definetly one of the better games released this year. Only few things that I didn't like for example melee and stealth being kinda worthless. Everything else felt really good gameplaywise and the atmosphere was really good throughout.

Ateron

Just finished the game on survival at 15:10:37 clear time and 56 deaths. How people get death counter above three-digit numbers is beyond me.

Really enjoyed the game. Definetly one of the better games released this year. Only few things that I didn't like for example melee and stealth being kinda worthless. Everything else felt really good gameplaywise and the atmosphere was really good throughout.

Melee is nothing more than the last resort to push away an enemy or two when you get swarmed and can't get a clear shot. Stealth, it depends on whether or not you need to save ammo and resources. On survival it's not always needed, but in Akumu it will be your best friend. Of course, accessing a game's mechanics based on the highest level of difficulty possible is not the best way to do it, but yeah, stealth is needed in higher difficulties cause you really don't have ammo to spare and they kill you very fast in open combat. It's not worth the risk

myco666

Melee is nothing more than the last resort to push away an enemy or two when you get swarmed and can't get a clear shot. Stealth, it depends on whether or not you need to save ammo and resources. On survival it's not always needed, but in Akumu it will be your best friend. Of course, accessing a game's mechanics based on the highest level of difficulty possible is not the best way to do it, but yeah, stealth is needed in higher difficulties cause you really don't have ammo to spare and they kill you very fast in open combat. It's not worth the risk

I would have preferred if the melee was more useful. However I understand that it would throw off the balance if you could just smash enemies with bare fists.

So the stealth actually is viable? I felt like most of the scenarios you just had to shoot your way through. Well maybe when I try akumu mode I will use it more.

Top Bottom