• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Anyone in this thread playing the game on Xbox One? If so, how does it perform? I'm aware the PS4 and PC versions run better but is the X1 version still enjoyable to play?

Question about chapter 3. So:

During the chapter I was running around doing stuff, in the background I could always hear the chainsaw guy groaning and grunting. But I could never find him. After killing everyone else on the map I got sort of lost with what to do. I randomly went into the barn, something exploded for whatever reason, and the chainsaw guy came out. Is this normal? I'm wondering if the AI just got "stuck" and if he was supposed to come out earlier?

Thanks.

The chainsaw guy is chained up behind some boards in the barn. If you go in the front entrance, shoot at him, or get too close to his spot on the first floor, you'll trigger him early from the moment CastleRyeBread already mentioned. Generally you'll want to enter the barn from a set of stairs in an alley and sneak around on the upper floors. Also not a bad place to engage him since you can get some free shots in as he's climbing up the ladder to get after you and isn't far from the trap house.
Man, i don't know if it's because I just finished Alien: Isolation, but this game is not scary. At all. I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 7, but so far, It hasn't even been that tense.

I'm not saying that it's a bad game, mind you. But it feels more like a Sam Raimi type of horror. I'm having a lot a of fun.

Fuck the loading times though..

My own opinion disclaimer: I never found any of the RE games to be scary, and never really expected this to be any different. Only game I've played thus far that was legit-fear inducing was P.T., and that was only the part where
you first see the specter and as you walk forward the lights go out and the hall is complete darkness with the most unsettling sound playing.
. Even Alien Isolation, which does what it does extremely well, I felt was just really tense instead of being scary.

Horror is just a pain in the ass to work with in games due to how reliant it is not just on the balance within the game mechanics and presentation itself, but also the subjectivity of the end user.

Just finished Chapter 6 last night. What a wonderful change of pace! It just . . . worked, on so many levels.

This game has so many things going on with it that are good, that it's definitely an example of the sum being greater than the parts. The gunplay is so damn crunchy; I hope Fallout 4 can reach these heights. I just feel so satisfied to find one more secret, upgrade on more stat, or beat one more badass boss. Definitely a contender for GotY (Shadow of Mordor was a great ride, too). Never played Resident Evil 4 back-in-the-day, but I imagine this is what it felt like, on some level.

Just finished Chapter 6 last night. What a wonderful change of pace! It just . . . worked, on so many levels.

This game has so many things going on with it that are good, that it's definitely an example of the sum being greater than the parts. The gunplay is so damn crunchy; I hope Fallout 4 can reach these heights. I just feel so satisfied to find one more secret, upgrade on more stat, or beat one more badass boss. Definitely a contender for GotY (Shadow of Mordor was a great ride, too). Never played Resident Evil 4 back-in-the-day, but I imagine this is what it felt like, on some level.

I'll be playing the rest of 5 and hopefully making some good progress today, so hopefully that progression will bump off Alien Isolation as the game to win my heart this year.

As for RE4, it's not even close. RE4 played rather tight and wasn't so...hand holdy with the tutorials from the off, though I understand why it is so in The Evil Within's case due to all of the mechanics thrown in there. There was also a level of polish and execution that thus far I've not seen with this game. I'm also not too keen on what I've heard about the post-game rewards either, which was one of the things next to Mercenaries that helped drive the replayability of RE4 (and other RE titles).

But that's coming from having played RE4, so maybe the feeling is similar if just being introduced to this game.

But that's coming from having played RE4, so maybe the feeling is similar if just being introduced to this game.

This. I always found parts of Skyrim sophomoric, because the story in Oblivion got me much more (
dude turns into a dragon—badass
). But my fiancé, who never played Oblivion, went gaga for Skyrim.

somedevil

I just got to say when you get the
High-Powered Sniper Rifle with high stats it becomes insanely overpowered. You drop those fake Ruviks with one hit

-MD-

Someone who needed to switch the difficulty to "Casual" has very little to teach me.

Honestly.

So the stealth actually is viable? I felt like most of the scenarios you just had to shoot your way through. Well maybe when I try akumu mode I will use it more.

Stealth is very viable in at least half a dozen chapters.

Well maybe when I try akumu mode I will use it more.

Enemy awareness goes way up in akumu so you might have a bad time.

finished the game on survival difficulty.
15:34:28
10 deaths

Whoa man 10 deaths in 15 hours? Even with all the unfair trial and error gameplay people claim the game has? You must be a wizard.

This. I always found parts of Skyrim sophomoric, because the story in Oblivion got me much more (
dude turns into a dragon—badass
). But my fiancé, who never played Oblivion, went gaga for Skyrim.
Same with my wife, though we encountered a game breaking bug that introduced her to the hatred of glitchy Bethesda titles too : )

Arklite

Tried starting Akumu mode last night. I'm not making it through that shit, lmao. It does feel do-able with the right amount of patience. Restarting on Nightmare to hunt down those map pieces.

Sanctuary

I don't know why they thought that many one-hit kills are a good idea. If one or two enemies have them, then perhaps they have some sort of useful effect -- "oh wow, that dude is way more dangerous than everything else!" But when nearly everything has a one-hit-kill, they don't have that effect -- instead they come off as cheap and lazy.

So what you're basically saying is that the game only has three enemy types? Two of which are bosses and one that is just a more powerful normal enemy? I must have played a different game. The majority of enemies on Nightmare and below do not have one-hit kills. That's on Akumu, which you obviously haven't played.

Honeymoon phase 2 weeks after release?

1038.gif

This can still be one of his worst works outside of P.N.03 and still be worth playing. I got my money's worth, but I'll probably never touch this game again; unlike how I'll be replaying REmake next year, and RE4 again after the texture project is finished.

Damn the
laura spider lady
boss fight in chapter 10 took over five rockets to kill in NG+. WTF? And what a shoddy "reward" too, lol.

Yeah easily the worst rocket launcher I've ever used. Can't move while it's equipped, and there doesn't seem to be a way to replenish ammo. Might as well just use a fully upgraded magnum.

I would have preferred if the melee was more useful. However I understand that it would throw off the balance if you could just smash enemies with bare fists.

So the stealth actually is viable? I felt like most of the scenarios you just had to shoot your way through. Well maybe when I try akumu mode I will use it more.

Stealth is extremely important in the early chapters where resources are more scarce and your in-game abilities as well as your gaming skills aren't that good yet. Stealth help conserve ammo and even out the odds against numerous enemies. It because less important once you got the hang of the game mechanics.

That said if nothing else it's an option for people who wants that playstyle, nothing wrong with more options :)

So what you're basically saying is that the game only has three enemy types? Two of which are bosses and one that is just a more powerful normal enemy? I must have played a different game. The majority of enemies on Nightmare and below do not have one-hit kills. That's on Akumu, which you obviously haven't played.

I suspect he included stuff like traps and Haunted with explosives, either that or he was at constant low health that one good enemy grab would trigger the unique kill animation and he thought it was a 1-hit kill.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
Tried starting Akumu mode last night. I'm not making it through that shit, lmao. It does feel do-able with the right amount of patience. Restarting on Nightmare to hunt down those map pieces.

I did the same thing haha. I got stuck on chapter 2 and just said fuck it and bumped it down to nightmare. I'm having a blast playing through the game again.
I also like that they add more enemy types to earlier encounters like fake Ruvik in the 3rd chapter. It added a nice extra challenge besides just upping the difficulty.

Sanctuary

I suspect he included stuff like traps and Haunted with explosives, either that or he was at constant low health that one good enemy grab would trigger the unique kill animation and he thought it was a 1-hit kill.

I had actually considered all of that, but figured no one could be that blind.

I did the same thing haha. I got stuck on chapter 2 and just said fuck it and bumped it down to nightmare. I'm having a blast playing through the game again.
I also like that they add more enemy types to earlier encounters like fake Ruvik in the 3rd chapter. It added a nice extra challenge besides just upping the difficulty.

I feel like Nightmare is probably about where the game could be considered "balanced" for those wanting somewhat of a challenge (outside of a select few parts, Survivial just doesn't offer it and Akumu is just cheap as fuck).

Going by your post history about this game, I decided that the game is just not for you. If I were you, I would have moved on from the game a long time ago.
This is a Mikami game. That guy is my videogame hero. I need to finish this, no matter how bad it is.
Sorry if I'm being too offensive here. I just need to vent. I expected this game to be the second coming. And then I get this.

And sorry guys, but a game that punishes me for not knowing what's gonna happen (and TEW does that a lot) is not a good game. That is textbook bad game design.

kodecraft

This is a Mikami game. That guy is my videogame hero. I need to finish this, no matter how bad it is.
Sorry if I'm being too offensive here. I just need to vent. I expected this game to be the second coming. And then I get this.

And sorry guys, but a game that punishes me for not knowing what's gonna happen (and TEW does that a lot) is not a good game. That is textbook bad game design.

Better own Vanquish if Mikami is anything to you. Besides everyone pretty much owns RE4 that doesn't count.

I feel like Nightmare is probably about where the game could be considered "balanced" for those wanting somewhat of a challenge (outside of a select few parts, Survivial just doesn't offer it and Akumu is just cheap as fuck).

So can you get the brass knuckles on Nightmare, or do you need to finish the game on Akumu?

Yuterald

Playing on Akumu mode now in-between sessions of Bayonetta 2 and it's okay. I think the bonus modes from REmake are still the best (Real Survivor & Invisible Enemy Mode). My thoughts on the game haven't changed much since my first run of the game though. There's just so many little details from older survival horror games that I wanted to see here, but they're just serviceable at best. For example, I LOVE reading key item descriptions and memos in these games. Everything in TEW is written so amateur-like. I don't know how else to describe it. Just replay a game like RE2 and check the various plaques/statues/etc, throughout the locations and everything just seems so much more poetic. Even the "puzzle"-related descriptions (like most of what you can read/see in CH.9) are so "blah". Really, really disappointed in that aspect of the game.

Sanctuary

So can you get the brass knuckles on Nightmare, or do you need to finish the game on Akumu?

You can get them from Nightmare as far as I know. You just get them from Akumu as well because it counts all of the difficulties below it.

What, what is this? Do you normally read Nintendo Power walkthroughs or watch a full game run on "Let's Play" before playing games? You might have a valid argument if the game wasn't so generous with checkpoints and save rooms.

NG + Question:

Do you find ammo for your Rocket Launcher?
because I killed
Laura
with two shots, lol.

No, and that also won't work on chapter 10. As long as you use them very sparringly, you should have enough to bypass most fights you really don't care for. I think I ended up with at least 10 left after my first run. But after you complete the game again through NG+, it doesn't replenish. I also have no idea what use the
machine gun
is, since ammo is even rarer than magnum ammo and it does a hell of a lot less damage than the guns you upgraded before ever getting it. It feels like a water gun.

Sanctuary

I wouldn't waste gel on
freeze bolt, nor would I actually spend trap parts on them.
Similarly, I wouldn't bother with
Explosive until you're running with a surplus of gel and have upgraded other weapons much higher. Harpoon and Flash are the only worthwhile bolts to max out (although you don't really need more than 13s with Flash) and the only two worth spending trap parts on. You can just save the Freeze/Spark bolts you find for when you actually need them; which is rare enough that you would never need to make them, which also makes spending gel on them kind of pointless.

And I'm not sure what the base chance to crit with the handgun is, but it definitely doesn't start at 0%. I blew up the heads of enemies way more than I thought I should with no upgrades in critical, so it makes me wonder if the upgrades are multiplicative and not additive. So if the base is 20%, maxing out handgun crit would only give you a 30% chance to explode heads.

You can get them from Nightmare as far as I know. You just get them from Akumu as well because it counts all of the difficulties below it.

What, what is this? Do you normally read Nintendo Power walkthroughs or watch a full game run on "Let's Play" before playing games? You might have a valid argument if the game wasn't so generous with checkpoints and save rooms.

No, and that also won't work on chapter 10. As long as you use them very sparringly, you should have enough to bypass most fights you really don't care for. I think I ended up with at least 10 left after my first run. But after you complete the game again through NG+, it doesn't replenish. I also have no idea what use the
machine gun
is, since ammo is even rarer than magnum ammo and it does a hell of a lot less damage than the guns you upgraded before ever getting it. It feels like a water gun.

WHAT THE FUCK?^^
Is this a bug or intentional?

Sanctuary

WHAT THE FUCK?^^
Is this a bug or intentional?

NG+ isn't really a full game run though. It's a chapter select where you can choose to run the entire game if you want, or just pick chapters where you missed items. So think about it. You could just repeatedly do chapter 15 for infinite ammo otherwise.

-MD-

I learned quickly to just mash X like a mothafucka when I'm walking up to them, even if the prompt doesn't show up.

Watching videos I think the prompts actually end up killing people, glad I turned them off. You can initiate a kill from behind well before it actually pops up.

oh man, as messy as big parts of this game are, at least it again has good post-ending content, after the extreme lack of such in Vanquish was quite an awful surprise (even though I still finished it like four times).
I already complemented several collectables in the early chapters I missed, plus some storybits and for the end of chapter 2 I had the
rocket launcher
all up in this bitch. Do you ever get
new ammo for the bonus weapons though
?

Also, do you have weapons in NG+ chapter 1? I skipped it for now.

Nuke Soda

oh man, as messy as big parts of this game are, at least it again has good post-ending content, after the extreme lack of such in Vanquish was quite an awful surprise (even though I still finished it like four times).
I already complemented several collectables in the early chapters I missed, plus some storybits and for the end of chapter 2 I had the
rocket launcher
all up in this bitch. Do you ever get
new ammo for the bonus weapons though
?

Also, do you have weapons in NG+ chapter 1? I skipped it for now.

I am pretty sure you only get the weapons when you pick up the pistol in chapter 2.

Sanctuary

Just rewatched [Rec] and the sequel. You can add that to the list of obvious "influences". Mostly with how the gore is handled as well as the way the 28 days/weeks "infected" move (not just in terms of speed). Also the doctor's research recordings.

Gundy2010

What happened to Joseph and Kidman in the end?

after Seb got out of hospital he saw Leslie limping away and it seems only he is able to see him. Does that mean he is still trapped in some kind of alternate reality?

so many loose ends, cannot process!

Just rewatched [Rec] and the sequel. You can add that to the list of obvious "influences". Mostly with how the gore is handled as well as the way the 28 days/weeks "infected" move (not just in terms of speed). Also the doctor's research recordings.

I haven't watched [REC]3, but I hope Apocalypse is received much better. First two films were pretty damn good, despite the sudden drop in pacing in [REC]2, and I really enjoyed watching them back to back at the Music Box Theater in Chicago. Place is pretty creepy looking in of itself.

Nemmy

What happened to Joseph and Kidman in the end?

after Seb got out of hospital he saw Leslie limping away and it seems only he is able to see him. Does that mean he is still trapped in some kind of alternate reality?

so many loose ends, cannot process!

People are posting their story theories in the spoiler thread, check it out if you're interested :)

Yuterald

Playing on Akumu, downing a guy to the floor, clearly getting the prompt to drop a match, match clearly drops and full animation lays out, enemy gets up too quickly in the process and no one's ignited...cool vid. =/

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
GAF, I just bought this from Goodwill for $25. Box/slipcover and everything.

I feel so giddy right now.

Braag

CH12 was uh.. weird. Like out of place weird.
It's clear they tried really hard to bring as much variety to the chapters as possible.

Xpliskin

Ohhhhh shiiiiii ban has been lifted.
dracula-coffin-o.gif

Rurmor has it there's a "small pistol" in this and there used to be flashbangs and a knife.

Honest opinion: This game stops right before the end of chapter 10.
The rest of the game is a freefall drop in quality, it's like they outsourced those last few chapters. What the hell was that ?

Top Bottom