• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

You can literally just run past him and he won't get you if you aren't too close. Rinse and repeat, stay in movement to avoid his teleport touch and after a few seconds you are free.

I have no idea why people have so much issues with this.

Yeah, I kind of thought people claiming to have so many issues were full of it too. And they kind of were, but not entirely. I ended up witnessing two very flakey situations with him.

I never had him teleport in front of me once, and it was very easy to get away from him the rest of the time. Well, he finally did just decide to randomly teleport in front of my face and kill me for no apparent reason. What's worse though, is I have had it to where the screen would turn blue and after the very first screen pulse, before you even really have a chance to see where he is and move accordingly, and he teleported directly on top of me and killed me.

So the issues do actually exist, but I think they are very overblown in regards to frequency. My second instance is something that actually should not be in the game.

Just got the game. So far so good. I'm on PC and I don't really mind 30FPS and the black bars. Come at me bros!

Depending on how decent your GPU/CPU are, you can run the game at mostly 60 FPS (areas with fire and fog effects seem to drop back down to 30 for some reason) without using the console but instead the steam startup options. Using the console locks out achievement updates, while using the same functions as a start command will not.

Just add "+com_skipIntroVideo 1 +R_swapinterval -1". The first is to skip the intros if you care. What's funny is I played the gamed without any tweaks until my second playthrough, and my card was using an overclocked profile. Only had a single crash, and that was on a boss. On my next playthrough I messed around with the 60fps command line and actually had frequent crashes throughout the playthrough and didn't know why. On my most recent playthrough though, the card was actually set on its energy savings profile that I use to watch tv shows and I had forgotten to switch it back. No crashes and it ran the game with the startup commands at 60fps with only a single crash on a boss fight.

Don't treat it like a shootbang because it's not

Main reason I was getting so irate with these comments is because I can't stand "shoot bang" style games, and I wasn't treating it as such. I'm still waiting for you to play Nightmare/Akumu and get off another headshot after your first either missed or it didn't explode and the enemy starts rushing (not walking, rushing) up to you. :)

You never know, you might not actually be reading the NeoGAF forum. It could all just be a jumbled memory...

The funny thing about that is that when I left the hospital, a few days later I finished the game and then I questioned if the car accident actually happened or if it was all in my mind. : P

chapter 15 was pretty intense. though it had me pissed off for a little while. I think it ends strongly.

my least favorite is chapter 11

That arena battle towards the end reminded me so much of Mercenaries.

Do the
Ruvik clones
1-shot you? Never had one get near me. I'm assuming they do though.

Yep. I got real familiar with that in the later chapters.

Any tips on ammo conservation other than stealth kills. What is the point of burning bodies. And any good ways to utilize melee like in REP?

Burning bodies is probably the most efficient way to kill enemies in the early game. If you knock an enemy down, you can burn their body. This can save a lot of ammo.

Nuke Soda

Sooooo, I wonder if anyone in here realised that I said 'I got the game' like two weeks ago and then didn't post anything at all in here since. I basically disappeared out of nowhere. Long story short, I was in a pretty serious car accident the day after I got the game. I actually nearly died. Luckily I'm ok now and have read every comment in here and beaten the game once and am now up to chapter 12 on my second play through. Sucks that I missed out on a lot of discussion, but what can you do? The game has it's problems (framerate, boring characters, meh story and the game is tonely all over the place at times) but I still love it a lot - even more so on my second play through. The core gameplay is really addictive and the feel of the weapons is quite possibly the best of the best!
Good thing you are okay. Glad you are enjoying the game, hopefully we will see a return of bigger budgeted survival/horror games.

Good thing you are okay. Glad you are enjoying the game, hopefully we will see a return of bigger budgeted survival/horror games.

Thanks man.

On my first play through I would have given the game a solid 8, but re-playing it and knowing what to expect and how to tackle certain enemies/bosses has really made me appreciate the game a lot more and made me bump up my score to an 8.5 or maybe even 9. The core gameplay here is wonderfully balanced and satisfying and makes me eager to come back every time even during the weaker chapters. Also, I've seen people mention it in here, but I need to say it too - the sound effects for picking up matches, ammo, green gel and the sounds of your footsteps....WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD!?

Nuke Soda

Thanks man.

On my first play through I would have given the game a solid 8, but re-playing it and knowing what to expect and how to tackle certain enemies/bosses has really made me appreciate the game a lot more and made me bump up my score to an 8.5 or maybe even 9. The core gameplay here is wonderfully balanced and satisfying and makes me eager to come back every time even during the weaker chapters. Also, I've seen people mention it in here, but I need to say it too - the sound effects for picking up matches, ammo, green gel and the sounds of your footsteps....WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD!?

Yeah NG+ bumped my score up, actually knowing stuff made it more fun to me. Also I love picking up the green brain goo, such a weird but fun way to level up.

Sanctuary

I think hip fire can stall him long enough to keep you safe?

Huh? Didn't even think he was tangible enough for you to even hit him.

Do the
Ruvik clones
1-shot you? Never had one get near me. I'm assuming they do though.

Are you for real? The first time you encounter them there's almost no way you didn't get to see their primary kill attack (that can be avoided), and it can happen anywhere on screen. And yes, it one-shots you. He basically
summons Laura.

-MD-

Huh? Didn't even think he was tangible enough for you to even hit him.

Shooting him makes him warp closer to you unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying.

Are you for real? The first time you encounter them there's almost no way you didn't get to see their primary kill attack (that can be avoided), and it can happen anywhere on screen. And yes, it one-shots you. He basically
summons Laura.

Super duper for real. I've seen their primary attack, I've just never been touched by it.

Guess I'm just too gud.

Yeah NG+ bumped my score up, actually knowing stuff made it more fun to me. Also I love picking up the green brain goo, such a weird but fun way to level up.

Yep, knowing how to counter some of the one hit kill enemies on your second run without any problems is a nice feeling. You really appreciate the game more. And in my bathroom I've got green liquid soap in a dispenser and every time I wash my hands it reminds me of the green gel from the game. It's like the same exact colour and shape. Pity it doesn't give me any new skills - unless personal hygiene is a new skill.

Sanctuary

unless personal hygiene is a new skill.

For everyone else that's around you, let's hope not!

Super duper for real. I've seen their primary attack, I've just never been touched by it.

Guess I'm just too gud.

I actually didn't get hit by it during the first encounter, but it was more like "what the fuck is this shit? I'm out of here" and then I randomly
burned a corpse that burned the arms, then I ended up burning a corpse that was right on top of him. Learned later the easiest way to take them out. I died a few times to that attack though, mainly because when I tried to aim for him, he ended up moving a bit and bunch of random shit enemies were all around and I was grabbed before lining up a good shot (chapter 15). Also tried testing out stealth kills. Nope! A lot more of them appear in areas they were not at before in Nightmare+ and you even have to fight more than one occasionally.

zlatko

Banned
I'm debating picking this up. I'm officially bored of so much Destiny since launch for my PS4, and need something to hold me over till Advanced Warfare next week.

There is a LOT of games out there I didn't get to, and this is one of them.

As a big fan of Dead Space 1, and no other survival horror game, what would I be getting myself into? Is it worth the 60 tag, or wait for a price break? Any platform to avoid?(Aiming to do PS4 version)

I hear it's similar to RE as well...but well I don't like that series that much.

I am however a fan of Bioshock and this for whatever reason gives nods to that in certain ways from its trailers.

Thoughts?

Riposte

I'm pretty sure if you shoot him, he phases out a bit, giving you enough time to run through him. Maybe that's just the boss though.

Lucent

Yep, knowing how to counter some of the one hit kill enemies on your second run without any problems is a nice feeling. You really appreciate the game more. And in my bathroom I've got green liquid soap in a dispenser and every time I wash my hands it reminds me of the green gel from the game. It's like the same exact colour and shape. Pity it doesn't give me any new skills - unless personal hygiene is a new skill.

If you just recently started doing it it's new. =p

Sanctuary

.As a big fan of Dead Space 1, and no other survival horror game, what would I be getting myself into? Is it worth the 60 tag, or wait for a price break? Any platform to avoid?(Aiming to do PS4 version)

I hear it's similar to RE as well...but well I don't like that series that much.

I am however a fan of Bioshock and this for whatever reason gives nods to that in certain ways from its trailers.

Thoughts?

Hmm, never really drew a Bioshock connection, but I guess it has certain elements that you could say are pretty similar (especially the upgrade system). It's not really much like Dead Space at all aside from one particular creature design and the fact that your character controls as tanky as Isaac, but without the aiming skills or useful stomps to downed enemies. It's closer to RE5 in a handful of chapters with nods to REmake, very small similarities (although most on this thread seem to think otherwise) to RE4 and basically every other horror game under the sun. It's like Mikami took every (at least mainstream) horror title, chopped them up in a blender and called it a day. There are even elements that would remind you of TLOU, which aren't just related to stealth and trap disarming.

Just finished chapter 11 again on NG+.

Yep, still sucks.

Quick tip for the fairly annoying part when the enemies keep on coming out of the opening and closing door in waves.

Freeze bolts! Constantly aim and every time the door opens shoot one at the pack. It's quick and painless that way....

Produce

Quick tip for the fairly annoying part when the enemies keep on coming out of the opening and closing door in waves.

Freeze bolts! Constantly aim and every time the door opens shoot one at the pack. It's quick and painless that way....

Genius! Wish I'd thought of that during my first playthrough, lol.

Sanctuary

Or just use what you should have been using pretty much the entire playthrough for haunted packs anyway?

Flash bolt...

Shock works similarly if you can't be bothered to stealth kill. Just set it up at the middle of the door, a foot or two away and they will funnel into it and drop to their knees.

No idea why there have been so many recommendations for freezing. It's a super expensive to make bolt that ends up doing the same, if not less for twice as much as what Flash does except on bosses. Even then, it doesn't freeze long enough for it to be worth actually making and you're better off saving those you find for a few circumstances where they actually do shine over any other option.

-MD-

You aren't a part of this discussion though. The rules don't seem to apply where you're involved.

Time to watch more of the bottle rocket show.

I'm part of all discussions, I'm everywhere. I'm a rule breaker.

And ya can't force me to watch more of the bottle rocket show.

What's the easiest way to take out the chainsaw freaks? Is it possible to knock them down somehow so I can use a match on them?

Nah, he goes down pretty easily just shooting him. If you're low on ammo use the environment.

realcZk

What's the easiest way to take out the chainsaw freaks? Is it possible to knock them down somehow so I can use a match on them?

Verger

Banned
Beat the game, I really really loved it overall and so hope that it will sell well enough to justify my expansive sequels in the future aside from the already planned DLC.

Guess I'll head over to the Spoiler thread to discuss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to Chapter 9... was loving the atmosphere and boom... that insta-kill thing you guys were talking about.

He doesn't just appear at random, does he?

Sanctuary

If you mean the first one, you can just use the
spiked bolt/harpoon trap in the house directly to the left of the chain you need to cut to proceed. Just use the trap as he approaches, toss a flash bolt, use the trap, do a stealth kill, use the trap, use another flash bolt and repeat until he dies

And ya can't force me to watch more of the bottle rocket show.

You don't have to (but you really should!). I was actually just saying it was time for me.

Top Bottom