• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Nemmy

Playing on Akumu, downing a guy to the floor, clearly getting the prompt to drop a match, match clearly drops and full animation lays out, enemy gets up too quickly in the process and no one's ignited...cool vid. =/

Didn't yet try Akumu but I've had similar stuff happen on Survival. You sometimes lose the match and the enemy just gets up like nothing happened.

Rurmor has it there's a "small pistol" in this and there used to be flashbangs and a knife.

Honest opinion: This game stops right before the end of chapter 10.
The rest of the game is a freefall drop in quality, it's like they outsourced those last few chapters. What the hell was that ?

Eh, I don't get the hate for the later chapters tbh. 11 was average, 12 was fun (disclaimer: I like RE6 :) ) and then the game was back on track with slower pace and stealth parts from 13 onwards.

I'm kinda bummed a lot of mechanics were clearly removed, like setting traps from the earlier trailers (morphed into the crossbow I guess). I think I remember the knife in the weapon wheel in the early trailers, too.

Nibel

Honest opinion: This game stops right before the end of chapter 10.
The rest of the game is a freefall drop in quality, it's like they outsourced those last few chapters. What the hell was that ?

CH10 is the peak and pretty much perfect, and I agree that 11 and 12 drop the ball and do so many things wrong that could have been avoided, but it picks up at 13 and turns Mikami-style batshit crazy in CH15. Also, I love the implication of the ending.

What's also cool about this game is how diverse your approach can be.

One dude is saying use
Freeze Bolts
on all the sub-bosses and bosses, which I totally agree with.

Another dude is saying he never uses them.

Personally, I barely used my crossbow until the last chapter or so, and now it's my go-to weapon for any tough situation (other than my beloved shotty). Great game.

Sanctuary

Managed to get through the
burning building part of chapter 6 in AKUMU
. Geez. =/

Have fun dying to dumb shit during the largest action sequence that isn't really hard (just pretty long), only to be super annoyed once it's time for
the big bad wolf-thing.

What's also cool about this game is how diverse your approach can be.

One dude is saying use
Freeze Bolts
on all the sub-bosses and bosses, which I totally agree with.

Another dude is saying he never uses them.

If you mean me, I've said they are a waste of trap parts (which they are), not that I never use them. The game does offer you more than a single option, but not all options are equal, especially if you keep ending up with ammo issues. You can't actually increase the duration they
freeze and the freeze only lasts long enough for you to get a few shots off after switching ammo with your crossbow or to another weapon anyway. It essentially did nothing much and there are only two situations where I've actually thought "gee, this was pretty great" when using that bolt. One of which was a situation where another bolt would have done the exact same thing, but only after you dumped a lot of green gel into it.

klee123

Currently up to chapter 9 and so far enjoying it.

Just wondering if anyone here had any problems with the
alteredegos (The 2 headed zombies)
?

Since they cannot be killed via stealth takedowns and take so much punishment, I find that fighting against them to be quite challenging. Especially during one section where I dropped down in a cave with 3-4 of them nearby and I had barely any ammo.

-MD-

Currently up to chapter 9 and so far enjoying it.

Just wondering if anyone here had any problems with the
alteredegos (The 2 headed zombies)
?

Since they cannot be killed via stealth takedowns and take so much punishment, I find that fighting against them to be quite challenging. Especially during one section where I dropped down in a cave with 3-4 of them nearby and I had barely any ammo.

Freeze bolt = instant kill

2 stock sniper rounds = kill

Shoot legs to knock down + match = kill

In one section there was like 5 of them and I tossed a nade to knock them all down, took them all out with 2 matches.

Sanctuary

Fully upgraded harpoon = instant kill. Otherwise a regular harpoon and match work too.

Can't actually remember if Shock bolts drop them to their knees (I think they don't?), but they do drop most groups of normal enemies to light with a match.

The one upside to a Freezing bolt is that if you can actually round up the enemies, you can take them all out in one shot.

oh man, as messy as big parts of this game are, at least it again has good post-ending content, after the extreme lack of such in Vanquish was quite an awful surprise (even though I still finished it like four times).
I already complemented several collectables in the early chapters I missed, plus some storybits and for the end of chapter 2 I had the
rocket launcher
all up in this bitch. Do you ever get
new ammo for the bonus weapons though
?

Also, do you have weapons in NG+ chapter 1? I skipped it for now.

Machine gun ammo
can drop from crates randomly, had it happen a few times.

klee123

In one section there was like 5 of them and I tossed a nade to knock them all down, took them all out with 2 matches.

Ahh I didn't realize that sniper rifle was effective. I guess it's because I wasted quite a few rounds against the boxhead before lol.

Sanctuary

Nope. Not gonna be fun. =l

The good news is that once you get past this chapter, it's releatively easy until one part of chapter 10 and then most of 11, and all of 12. :)

Any purpose to electric bolts ? I feel like they are just weaker freeze bolts.Unless I am missing something.

You can lay them out on the ground for enemies to run into, and it doesn't just work for that initial enemy. It will continually drop every enemy that walks into the shock field until the bolt duration expires. This is one of the easiest methods to light entire groups on fire.

Machine gun ammo
can drop from crates randomly, had it happen a few times.

It's so infrequent though as to be a non issue, especially with how much ammo you have to chew through just to kill anything. It's like shooting a water gun or spitballs. No idea what they were thinking with the gun, but it's pretty much a waste of space since even your handgun will be more effective.

Nibel

Any purpose to electric bolts ? I feel like they are just weaker freeze bolts.Unless I am missing something.

Son, listen:

Those are probably among the strongest bolts, especially if upgraded. Shoot them at a group of enemies, they will all kneel down and then use a single match to burn them all. I used them at the end of chapter 12 and destroyed 8-10 enemies with one bolt and one match.

Love and embrace the electric bolts. Also, they are fantastic traps and can be used to stun boss enemies as well.

Lucent

The good news is that once you get past this chapter, it's releatively easy until one part of chapter 10 and then most of 11, and all of 12. :)

lol. Such good news. I fear doing chapter 12 mostly because of the
bus chase and then the bus being parked with enemies getting on the bus and stuff.

Sanctuary

lol. Such good news. I fear doing chapter 12 mostly because of the
bus chase and then the bus being parked with enemies getting on the bus and stuff.

Pro tip:
the bus was pissing the hell out of me, until I realized just how easy it actually was. The best cover after the initial few enemies is right up at the front of the bus between the driver's seat and that little "wall" (there are three spots like that on the bus that provide cover) next to Kidman. NONE of the enemies on the ledge at the front of the bus can hit you becuase of the section of the top of the bus that is remaining, and this is where most of the snipers hang out. Joseph and Kidman cannot die here, so just let them kill the enemies in the front, unless you're feeling like Superman.

Fuck that first sequence though with
the crab/spider thing. It actually has an unavoidable instant kill attack that happens if you don't do enough damage in a short enough period.

You're also in for a huge surprise with chapter 11. Quite a few of the encounters changed. After I went back to those areas on Survival, it was like "Huh? Where'd everybody go?".

How did you finally manage to get out of the
basement/ground level section
anyway?

Managed to get through the
burning building part of chapter 6 in AKUMU
. Geez. =/

That was so freakin' hard.

When you level up the difficulty, you test the mechanics to the fullest, so a lot of the shortcomings peak their ugly heads.

A bit more polish and tweaks would've elevated this to 'masterpiece' status for me. Feels really clunky at times sadly but what a ride. Gorgeous art direction too.

Lucent

Pro tip:
the bus was pissing the hell out of me, until I realized just how easy it actually was. The best cover after the initial few enemies is right up at the front of the bus between the driver's seat and that little "wall" (there are three spots like that on the bus that provide cover) next to Kidman. NONE of the enemies on the ledge at the front of the bus can hit you becuase of the section of the top of the bus that is remaining, and this is where most of the snipers hang out. Joseph and Kidman cannot die here, so just let them kill the enemies in the front, unless you're feeling like Superman.

Fuck that first sequence though with
the crab/spider thing. It actually has an anavoidable instant kill attack that happens if you don't do enough damage in a short enough period.

You're also in for a huge surprise with chapter 11. Quite a few of the encounters changed. After I went back to those areas on Survival, it was like "Huh? Where'd everybody go?".

How did you finally manage to get out of the
basement/ground level section
anyway?

Really good tips. And yeah I fear him mostly because of the stupid
leeches he's gonna spit on the ground too. Chapter 11 I'm not quite as worried about because at least there is more open space than the burning house.

Sanctuary

Really good tips. And yeah I fear him mostly because of the stupid
leeches he's gonna spit on the ground too. Chapter 11 I'm not quite as worried about because at least there is more open space than the burning house.

Just save a single Shock bolt. I've actually had them
grab me too, and I didn't die if it happened after the "boss" was already knocked off the bus. Also, try to upgrade your magnum as much as possible and save all of the bullets for the chapter 14 boss. I shot him in the face five times and he died. I thought I would repeatedly die at that part, but I only died once. I also learned that the leeches he spits do not actually damage you when they explode, only when they hit you with their jump. So as long as you keep moving, they can jump and explode and you take no damage.

As for chapter 11:
Muwhahaha. That's exactly what I thought too. Little did I know...

HeelPower

Son, listen:

Those are probably among the strongest bolts, especially if upgraded. Shoot them at a group of enemies, they will all kneel down and then use a single match to burn them all. I used them at the end of chapter 12 and destroyed 8-10 enemies with one bolt and one match.

Love and embrace the electric bolts. Also, they are fantastic traps and can be used to stun boss enemies as well.

You can lay them out on the ground for enemies to run into, and it doesn't just work for that initial enemy. It will continually drop every enemy that walks into the shock field until the bolt duration expires. This is one of the easiest methods to light entire groups on fire.

cool. I didn't experiment with them at all lol

Lucent

Just save a single Shock bolt. I've actually had them
grab me too, and I didn't die if it happened after the "boss" was already knocked off the bus. Also, try to upgrade your magnum as much as possible and save all of the bullets for the chapter 14 boss. I shot him in the face five times and he died. I thought I would repeatedly die at that part, but I only died once. I also learned that the leeches he spits do not actually damage you when they explode, only when they hit you with their jump. So as long as you keep moving, they can jump and explode and you take no damage.

As for chapter 11:
Muwhahaha. That's exactly what I thought too. Little did I know...

Awesome. Yeah I hate that chapter 14 boss but I am gonna let him have it now that I know what 15 contains. I was being so conservative my first time through and died against him a lot because of it.

And lol! Dammit. You're making me scared.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Started playing now, damm those bars really are something...

You will get used to it. It's only really a problem when your in the mental hospital hub imo, I don't know why they zoom it in so much there

Solsc

Have an extra Fighting Chance code if anyone needs. First to PM can have it.

Edit: Forgot to mention it's for the Xbone.

close to calling it at chapter 9 in this game. the stupid ass
one touch kill mechanic from the ghost guy is awfu
l.
but if i hide under the bed for 30 seconds he can't find me! then every section you go to he shows up. in one of the sections i ran away from him and when i opened the door to the main hall in the mansion he was right there in front of me for the one touch call. awful

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This game is a Condemned 2 level of trainwreck. I just caved and switched to Casual mode because I can't take this shit any more and want to get it over with. And it's final insult is to now let me restart the whole chapter again...

Speaking of Condemnd 2. The discussion here heavily reminds me on the thread back then when I said how bad the game is and people here tried to prove me wrong.... I guess you guys just need some time to set in of how much Mikami has fucked up this time.

Nah, I love Condemned 2 and love The Evil Within. Both great games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
l.
but if i hide under the bed for 30 seconds he can't find me! then every section you go to he shows up. in one of the sections i ran away from him and when i opened the door to the main hall in the mansion he was right there in front of me for the one touch call. awful

i didnt find it to bad. i found that if he cornered me i could shoot a round at him and he'll do his little teleport and you can usually run past him.

I've been playing the game a bit (really enjoying it) and I can tell that this game is going to have a plot twist. Is this the case? All I need is a yes or no answer.
I LOVE THINGS WITH GOOD PLOT TWISTS

Nibel

l.

You can literally just run past him and he won't get you if you aren't too close. Rinse and repeat, stay in movement to avoid his teleport touch and after a few seconds you are free.

I have no idea why people have so much issues with this.

Sooooo, I wonder if anyone in here realised that I said 'I got the game' like two weeks ago and then didn't post anything at all in here since. I basically disappeared out of nowhere. Long story short, I was in a pretty serious car accident the day after I got the game. I actually nearly died. Luckily I'm ok now and have read every comment in here and beaten the game once and am now up to chapter 12 on my second play through. Sucks that I missed out on a lot of discussion, but what can you do? The game has it's problems (framerate, boring characters, meh story and the game is tonely all over the place at times) but I still love it a lot - even more so on my second play through. The core gameplay is really addictive and the feel of the weapons is quite possibly the best of the best!

Sooooo, I wonder if anyone in here realised that I said 'I got the game' like two weeks ago and then didn't post anything at all in here since. I basically disappeared out of nowhere. Long story short, I was in a pretty serious car accident the day after I got the game. I actually nearly died. Luckily I'm ok now and have read every comment in here and beaten the game once and am now up to chapter 12 on my second play through. Sucks that I missed out on a lot of discussion, but what can you do? The game has it's problems (framerate, boring characters, meh story and the game is tonely all over the place at times) but I still love it a lot - even more so on my second play through. The core gameplay is really addictive and the feel of the weapons is quite possibly the best of the best!

Stay safe Tricky. We need your hype and Oprah gifs.

Wow!

Glad to hear your doing okay man :)

Ndless

Banned
Just got the game. So far so good. I'm on PC and I don't really mind 30FPS and the black bars. Come at me bros!

I'm half way through (I think?) Chapter 2. I need to cut down the big chain to unlock the village door, and curiously, Sebastian mentioned I'd probably need a chainsaw or something to cut it down. Oh, I know what's coming alright.

I was already wondering, after pretty much clearing the entire village, why I'd be let go so easily. And I can already tell this part is going to be stressful as fuck. Oh well, I'll do it tomorrow.

(I'm a little bitch when it comes to horror games. I really enjoy them, but I take my sweet ass time. I guess I try my best to not make a mistake. Tomorrow, I think I'll make a few of them.)

Damn, yo glad you're okay.

-MD-

Rough shit dude, glad you're doing well.

realcZk

So I'm not very far into the game and I have the pistol. I have lots of trouble aiming it though. It's really weird that it's on the far left of the screen, I've never played a game that had the camera positioned to the right of the hands holding the gun. Does anyone have any aiming tips or do you just try for the center of the screen?

Stay safe Tricky. We need your hype and Oprah gifs.

e2xpKVh.jpg

Wow!

Glad to hear your doing okay man :)

Damn, yo glad you're okay.

Rough shit dude, glad you're doing well.

Thanks guys. Someone smashed into me from behind while I was at a red light. I blacked out and woke up in the hospital with cuts on my legs and a big mark on my chest from my seatbelt. The nurse told me my blood pressure went dangerously low too. Like I said, I'm ok now. I'm still shaken up from it and am pretty damn scared of going into my car now, but I'm just thankful I'm actually alive.

Man I figured you just were into the game.I'm so glad to hear your ok man. :/ DAMNNNNNN

Nibel

Breh

giphy.gif

Glad that you are well!

-MD-

So I'm not very far into the game and I have the pistol. I have lots of trouble aiming it though. It's really weird that it's on the far left of the screen, I've never played a game that had the camera positioned to the right of the hands holding the gun. Does anyone have any aiming tips or do you just try for the center of the screen?

Don't you have a reticle? Standing still helps your aim a lot, if you're moving while you shoot your reticle will widen and shots will spread further, similar to Counter-Strike.

Aim for headshots or legs to knock them down then burn them with a match for a quick kill, if an enemy is sprinting toward you try and sprint/retreat far enough to line up another shot.

Don't treat it like a shootbang because it's not, conserving ammo and bullet placement matters. Get a few upgrades in pistol accuracy and stock.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Holy shit. Glad you're OK.

I do agree that the game is a lot more fun on NG+.

realcZk

Don't you have a reticle? Standing still helps your aim a lot, if you're moving while you shoot your reticle will widen and shots will spread further, similar to Counter-Strike.

Aim for headshots or legs to knock them down then burn them with a match for a quick kill, if an enemy is sprinting toward you try and sprint/retreat far enough to line up another shot.

Don't treat it like a shootbang because it's not, conserving ammo and bullet placement matters. Get a few upgrades in pistol accuracy and stock.
Nope there is no reticle at all. That's why it's so difficult for me. I wonder if I accidentally toggled it off in the options menu lol?

-MD-

Nope there is no reticle at all. That's why it's so difficult for me. I wonder if I accidentally toggled it off in the options menu lol?

You might have toggled it off in the menu, there should definitely be a reticle unless your gun is holstered (circle / B)

Neiteio

I don't have the game yet but I read this thread occasionally and just wanted to say I'm glad you're safe, Tricky.

Top Bottom