• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

After playing chapter 11 and 12 all I can say that it was pretty bold from Mikami to criticize where Capcom went with RE after 4...

Oh, and that one scene in chapter 12:

Joseph being shot by a sniper during the awful car ride.

I swear to god that was THE most random thing ever. The best laugh I had in this game - and I think that was not supposed to be funny.

Lucent

FUUUUUUCKKKKKK

Here's what I did.

You'll usually start right next to Joseph. My strategy required

Two explosive bolts

One electric bolt

One frozen bolt (doesn't have to be. Could be another electric bolt but I just used what I had)

One Grenade

Shotgun the crap out of him the rest of the time

So as soon as the game lets you control Seb, dodge the dog and let him run into his bush. You should see the one he went into. I shot an electric bolt right near the bush so as soon as he charges at me he gets stuck.

I shot him with an explosive bolt, which knocked him to the floor. While he was on the floor, I hit him with another explosive bolt.

Now he gets up. I shoot him with a frost bolt. He gets frozen.

I lob a grenade at him. He gets hurt a lot. Then I just shotgun the crap out of him while dodging.

Dead.

It took me quite a few deaths but that's what I came up with.

malfcn

Beat it. Wtf.

Survival.
28 hours.
216 deaths.

I take my time.
And died way too many times due to something cheap, or from exploring.

55677105.jpg

Hahaha, oh my god. That was such a weird line. And screw that whole section with the
dog
. The fight with it had driven me to insanity, and then I kept dying trying to get those glasses for Joseph.

Lucent

Hahaha, oh my god. That was such a weird line. And screw that whole section with the
dog
. The fight with it had driven me to insanity, and then I kept dying trying to get those glasses for Joseph.

But it had a blue glow. How could you miss it? D=

But it had a blue glow. How could you miss it? D=

I saw it. It was just Joseph rarely distracted the dog for me and I made it out of the fight with barely any health left. I kept getting killed on my way back after picking the glasses up until I wasted a med kit to get through it.

Jyester

A. Don't learn from mistakes

B. Bad at video games

C. All of the above

It's C

C'mon man. People had completely different experiences with the section in question. In my case he spawned right behind me once when I was standing in front of a brain machine, and once behind a door I was about to pass through. Also hiding seems to be mostly useless, even though the game encourages you to try.

I enjoyed the chapter, but that section's design was far from impeccable.

Currently halfway through ch. 11. I enjoyed ch. 10 quite a bit, regardless of some trial and error.

I saw it. It was just Joseph rarely distracted the dog for me and I made it out of the fight with barely any health left. I kept getting killed on my way back after picking the glasses up until I wasted a med kit to get through it.

Here's how that part played out for me on each of my 3 playthroughs:

Go through fence
Sprint to glasses while dog ambles around
Pick up glasses
Sprint back towards fence
Joseph calls dog over when I'm about 10 feet from the fence
"Gee, thanks idiot" spoken out loud by me
Dog gets to fence about 1 second before I do
Push past dog and hammer button to initiate fence-shimmy

So janky, this game. Especially with scripted events.

That stream was an enlightening experience.

FUCK, I should have saved clip of entire doge fight.

Round 1 - I didn't react quick enough, literally killed me in two seconds off spawn

Round 2 - Ran left into a beartrap

Round 3 - Ran right, waited for him to come at me, shot him with shotgun, didn't knock him over, assumed it didn't work on xXMLG-AKUMU-420Xx

Round 4-Infinity - Tried everything, failed

Round Infinity Plus One - Papercuts tells me to use shotgun, it works this time, wtf, few more tries and I get it

Also a stunning display of target acquisition by yours truly in the catacombs

To all who popped in, thanks for watching. Might stream again sometime
with continued apologies to Net Wrecker

Is there a guide for the map fragments?

BTW: I'm on my second playthrough (chapter 9 now) and I can't find any new statues (incl. keys). I found 10-15 of them during my first playthrough...where are the other ones? Holy shit.

Chapter 6 on Akumu really wasn't that bad overall.
Most of the fights came down to spamming flash bolts, either for holding off the enemies while Joseph opens the door near the beginning or to buy some time to eliminate the spear volley guys in the huge open area (it checkpoints when they're all dead and you enter Sadist arena; I skipped a massive amount of enemies).

Okay chapter 9...again....patch this ASAP. this is ridiculous. He spawns right in front of me and kills me within one second every time. How could anyone approve this design decision?

edit: sry for DP

easy answer for anyone struggling with the boss on chapter six

all you need to do is use the sniper rifle on his head when he jumps from the bush and he goes down on the floor every time.
how on earth you were supposed to figure this out in such a small arena i will never understand, it's a mess to figure out and to execute but if you can do it in the cramped space then it works every time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just a quick one
How do you unlock the
brass knuckles
?

Andrew.

Banned
Unless you have the
rocket launcher
on an NG+ run, you don't. You run.

Denied. I wasted a bunch of rockets on her, as well as firey harpoons, incendiaries, explosives, shotgun blasts, everything.

I finally got her down in that final boiler room, but all of my ammo was used up during the three parts with her prior thinking I could kill her before the final area. I was wrong.

Im running on casual now fully upgraded and I want to see if I can avoid her those first few times and then wipe her out in the final room.

Denied. I wasted a bunch of rockets on her, as well as firey harpoons, incendiaries, explosives, shotgun blasts, everything.

I finally got her down in that final boiler room, but all of my ammo was used up during the three parts with her prior thinking I could kill her before the final area. I was wrong.

Im running on casual now fully upgraded and I want to see if I can avoid her those first few times and then wipe her out in the final room.

Ah I see, makes sense.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have the NG+ weapon (
rocket launcher
). I hit her 5-6 times but she didn't die :/

The rocket launcher sucks ass IMO. It locks you in place and that's REALLY bad in that fight, it's also not an instant kill machine on boss enemies so I wouldn't use it here.

Nibel

CH10 NG+:

First off, you have to get her to the last room.

Secondly, always burn her first and then shoot rockets. Fight can be tricky because of the small room, but it's possible to pull off. Once done, head to the elevator and instead of walking inside walk around it to find a key statue.

This game has like the best sound effect for smashing glass. So satisfying!

Okay chapter 9...again....patch this ASAP. this is ridiculous. He spawns right in front of me and kills me within one second every time. How could anyone approve this design decision?

edit: sry for DP

Leave Britney chapter 9 aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone!
Try not to constantly run, that should usually make him teleport a little bit less.

What's interesting is in older footage Ruvic didn't one hit kill you. Your health just went as low as possible but you didn't die. Wonder why it was changed?

I'm surprised there's no Sebastian ''What the Fuck?'' meme yet.

I'm more surprised we don't have a video showing off every death in the game yet.

Nemmy

The rocket launcher sucks ass IMO. It locks you in place and that's REALLY bad in that fight, it's also not an instant kill machine on boss enemies so I wouldn't use it here.

Yeah, it's clunky and annoying more than anything (why do I have holster it to actually move with it equipped, goddamnit?). Doesn't feel super powerful either.

nilbog21

Banned
Just finished chapter 10 and 11. Loved the pacing and variety in chapter 10 and the environments in chapter 11 are astounding. Unlike what I heard, I found nothing in these chapters particularly hard since there are check points literally before every enemy encounter...

Jin

Just finished chapter 10 and 11. Loved the pacing and variety in chapter 10 and the environments in chapter 11 are astounding. Unlike what I heard, I found nothing in these chapters particularly hard since there are check points literally before every enemy encounter...

The chapter themselves are fine in 10 until
you get to that boss at the end. I think I beat it by luck. Fuck that guy.

Sanctuary

Yeah
she
didn't seem to move much faster in chapter
for me. I killed
her
in like 2 and a half minutes, too. lol.

Remember you said this once you hit chapter 10.

Chapter 13 right? Alright, the first "boss" encounter he's to your immediate right, there are 3 traps in a doorway to your left and there's nowhere else to go. Some simple math and yep, disable the traps and walk through the door to safety.

I can't even think of what encounter this is. If you're actually talking about
the Keeper, there's a trap in front of you at the start of the hall, then two directly to your left at the end, in front of the acid trap while the Keeper is also diagonally left from the entrance you start at, not right unless you're talking about after disabling the first trap and then moving into the hall facing the opposite end. I'm not even sure you have enough time to disable one closest to the acid trap panel, and the panel before getting hit by the Keeper who is directly behind you.

You can however skip having to fight entirely a different way.

easy answer for anyone struggling with the boss on chapter six

all you need to do is use the sniper rifle on his head when he jumps from the bush and he goes down on the floor every time.
how on earth you were supposed to figure this out in such a small arena i will never understand, it's a mess to figure out and to execute but if you can do it in the cramped space then it works every time.

That boss is super easy when you aren't playing on Akumu since you can just heal up his hits that don't one-shot you in the first place. And good luck sniper rifling (wobble, wobble, wobble) his head when he's leaping through the air from the bushes. The wolf has two different ways to gain ground. He will either leap up and out or simply charge at you. It's really not complicated on the lower difficulties. You can just shotgun it to death. On the lower difficulties where there are no
bear traps
it's easy enough to simply follow him into the bushes and shoot him while he's slowly turning around or looking for a direction to charge. He kind of just meanders while in there.

Killed
Laura
(CH5) on Akumu without shooting a single bullet

Okay? I thought that's how most did it anyway. Outside of fully upgraded Harpoons, ammo was always a waste on that fight.

As stupid that phrase is, it is probably the most memorable quote of the game.

It's not just about getting the dirt off, it's about feeling clean.

JimPanzer

just finished the game with 120+ deaths on survival after 16 hours and 30 minutes. thought I wasn't doing too bad, but my death count proves me wrong, lol. had a blast with the game though.

Jingo

I need help from the good fellow gafers over here, especially those who are finished it or are playing for too long this game.

The camera is driving my dizzy as funyuns, i already downed the sensitivity to 50 but still it confuses me as hell, is there any configuration to help this ? Also, what leven of grain image do you guys use? Thank you.

nilbog21

Banned
I need help from the good fellow gafers over here, especially those who are finished it or are playing for too long this game.

The camera is driving my dizzy as funyuns, i already downed the sensitivity to 50 but still it confuses me as hell, is there any configuration to help this ? Also, what leven of grain image do you guys use? Thank you.

you need to put it on the lowest possible setting (PC)

vg260

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it have one? You can reload the chapter or last auto save.

The game auto saves when it checkpoints.

Oh, duh. that I guess that would work, even though it's an extra couple steps. Probably quicker than going to the main menu like I had been doing :/

Top Bottom