• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just Finished chap 10. Despite the one hit deaths I'm digging this game. Gameplay is full on re4 with nods to other re games but atmosphere, grimy environments and story remind me more of a silent hill game.

Good stuff.

Just finished chapter 3 on Akumu without using a single shot of ammo. Interestingly, the
Sadist went down with only one full-on hit of the trap in the house
. Not sure if I got lucky or if enemies really do have less health on Akumu (as I've seen theorized elsewhere).

Sooooo, I wonder if anyone in here realised that I said 'I got the game' like two weeks ago and then didn't post anything at all in here since. I basically disappeared out of nowhere. Long story short, I was in a pretty serious car accident the day after I got the game. I actually nearly died. Luckily I'm ok now and have read every comment in here and beaten the game once and am now up to chapter 12 on my second play through. Sucks that I missed out on a lot of discussion, but what can you do? The game has it's problems (framerate, boring characters, meh story and the game is tonely all over the place at times) but I still love it a lot - even more so on my second play through. The core gameplay is really addictive and the feel of the weapons is quite possibly the best of the best!

Damn, glad you're alright right now. :D Important thing now is to take the necessary steps to be healthy and check on the air bags.

Sanctuary

Streaming AKUMU mode. At the start of chapter 6 and I'm hella rusty. Enjoy.

Well, this just proves how very different Survival and Nightmare/Akumu are. The suggestion I made for the ground level part of the start of chapter 6 wasn't working, but it does work pretty flawlessly on Survival.

Just finished chapter 3 on Akumu without using a single shot of ammo. Interestingly, the
Sadist went down with only one full-on hit of the trap in the house
. Not sure if I got lucky or if enemies really do have less health on Akumu (as I've seen theorized elsewhere).

It sounds like you got lucky, because I didn't even bother with the trap until Akumu and I still had to use it at least three times on top of doing two throat stabs.

Lucent

Getting close to finishing chapter 6 on Akumu. Probably gonna be taking a break though since I'll be playing Sunset Overdrive as soon as it unlocks at midnight tomorrow. lol. Probably get rusty and have to get adjusted again when I come back.

Getting close to finishing chapter 6 on Akumu. Probably gonna be taking a break though since I'll be playing Sunset Overdrive as soon as it unlocks at midnight tomorrow. lol. Probably get rusty and have to get adjusted again when I come back.

Try your best to finish the chapter as I'm told it's the one to be done with the sooner, the better lol. I'm still on my NG+ playthrough, been collecting everything so that's why I'm taking long. Have now 400,000+ green gel that I still haven't used and got just a few keys + map fragments left, as well as newspapers and one missing person poster.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I rarely rely on walkthroughs – unless really stuck – but I've consistently done so during the endgame. I'm up to chapter 13 and I haven't got the stamina to trial and error my way through and see which boss fights I have to do and which not, or to deal with the sudden one hit kills.

Lucent

Try your best to finish the chapter as I'm told it's the one to be done with the sooner, the better lol. I'm still on my NG+ playthrough, been collecting everything so that's why I'm taking long. Have now 400,000+ green gel that I still haven't used and got just a few keys + map fragments left, as well as newspapers and one missing person poster.

Yeah. It's not so bad when you are getting tips and stuff on how to handle some situations, even though I am not doing them EXACTLY how I'm told to do them. But it definitely helps lol. Felt kind of on my own with the first part of chapter 6 though.

EDIT: I'm fighting the
dog
so it's almost over.

Zolbrod

I rarely rely on walkthroughs – unless really stuck – but I've consistently done so during the endgame. I'm up to chapter 13 and I haven't got the stamina to trial and error my way through and see which boss fights I have to do and which not, or to deal with the sudden one hit kills.

The game usually conveys pretty well which bosses you actually have to fight, as long as you look at the environment and understand what it's telling you.
This is what I really like about the game: it expects you to use your eyes and your brain to analyze the environment, then figure/plan out how to deal with the monsters there.

RE4 was exactly like this, but it gave you a LOT more ammo so you never needed to think very hard because you could always just shoot your way out of every situation.

Or just use what you should have been using pretty much the entire playthrough for haunted packs anyway?

Flash bolt...

Shock works similarly if you can't be bothered to stealth kill. Just set it up at the middle of the door, a foot or two away and they will funnel into it and drop to their knees.

No idea why there have been so many recommendations for freezing. It's a super expensive to make bolt that ends up doing the same, if not less for twice as much as what Flash does except on bosses. Even then, it doesn't freeze long enough for it to be worth actually making and you're better off saving those you find for a few circumstances where they actually do shine over any other option.

I tried different strategies and felt that the freeze bolts worked the best. You can stay in cover and literally don't have to move from that one spot. If you aim the bolt at the enemies feet you can freeze three of them with one shot. You don't even need to go and melee them, they simply shatter in about five seconds after you fire your shot. It's a very quick method and I think would work rather well when doing an akumu play through.

Damn, glad you're alright right now. :D Important thing now is to take the necessary steps to be healthy and check on the air bags.

Thanks. The air bags should have worked, the car that crashed up my ass was going fast - and yet the airbags did nothing. The mark from my seatbelt hurts like a bitch. I still get strong headaches from when my head slammed into the steering wheel too. : (

I looked at some footage from someone playing akumu mode for the first time last night. You guys weren't kidding when you said the enemies are faster! Laura looks like she's in fast forward when chasing you! O_O

Lucent

I looked at some footage from someone playing akumu mode for the first time last night. You guys weren't kidding when you said the enemies are faster! Laura looks like she's in fast forward when chasing you! O_O

Yeah
she
didn't seem to move much faster in chapter
for me. I killed
her
in like 2 and a half minutes, too. lol.

The normal enemies do move a lot faster sometimes. They also like to run at you with their arms spread out so they can try to grab you and game over you. And when they do their swiping motions with a weapon they do it like 4-5 times instead of like 2-3.

Thanks. The air bags should have worked, the car that crashed up my ass was going fast - and yet the airbags did nothing. The mark from my seatbelt hurts like a bitch. I still get strong headaches from when my head slammed into the steering wheel too. : (

Your welcome anytime, bro. Yeah, that's why I said check on them again because in any case they should have worked and you wouldn't have bumped on the steering wheel but anyways, stay strong and glad you're doing alright. :)

What an asshole of a person though for slamming into you so hard.

-MD-

I rarely rely on walkthroughs

giphy.gif

itsinmyveins

The game usually conveys pretty well which bosses you actually have to fight, as long as you look at the environment and understand what it's telling you.
This is what I really like about the game: it expects you to use your eyes and your brain to analyze the environment, then figure/plan out how to deal with the monsters there.

RE4 was exactly like this, but it gave you a LOT more ammo so you never needed to think very hard because you could always just shoot your way out of every situation.

I don't know about that. Some enemies have to be fought at least for a while and then you cut and run. Some you have to face head on. A few you can ignore (not sure they'd be called "boss fights" though). Considering the limited camera, especially when in smaller areas, it can be difficult to pick up on things, unless it zooms out to the sprint angle. And at least one demands that you just wait for a while before you can progress.

I think that claiming you've got to analyze the environment is giving the game too much credit. All you really need is perseverance. Try one thing out, get killed by a one hit kill attack, try again and then try something else. Scream at the TV when you're hugged to death for the fiftyeleventh time because you're waiting for a door to open.

I don't have the patience for that with this game.

EDIT: LOL at that typo – "perspiration" instead of perseverance. WTF!

Nibel

What's the easiest way to take out the chainsaw freaks? Is it possible to knock them down somehow so I can use a match on them?

Nope, those are boss enemies. The closest you get to a melee attack is when you stun them with those flash bolts (no idea what the English terms are since I'm playing the German version) and then get close, duck and press A. It takes like 7-10 bolts to kill them that way though, but it gives you an achievement.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Full on

Some of the atmosphere does remind one quite a bit of Silent Hill, but the actual storyline reminds me way more of F.E.A.R..

heh...ok well obviously the melee was nerfed. then again if you were roundhouse kicking fools that were staggered...the match mechanic would prob. be unnecessary

too bad upgrading the melee doesn't turn you into an hand to hand ass kicking machine. pop some heads with your fists or something. lol in all seriousness though...would have been great if melee upgrade actually changed things up

Nope, those are boss enemies. The closest you get to a melee attack is when you stun them with those flash bolts (no idea what the English terms are since I'm playing the German version) and then get close, duck and press A. It takes like 7-10 bolts to kill them that way though, but it gives you an achievement.

Two explosive bolts + two flash bolts (+ knife) and he's down :D

Lucent

Woot! Passed chapter 6 on Akumu mode. =D

Progress will be going much slower since I'll be mainly playing Sunset Overdrive starting tomorrow night, but I will try to finish Akumu as soon as I can.

-MD-

I think that claiming you've got to analyze the environment is giving the game too much credit. All you really need is perspiration. Try one thing out, get killed by a one hit kill attack, try again and then try something else. Scream at the TV when you're hugged to death for the fiftyeleventh time because you're waiting for a door to open.

I don't have the patience for that with this game.

trial and error.

Chapter 13 right? Alright, the first "boss" encounter he's to your immediate right, there are 3 traps in a doorway to your left and there's nowhere else to go. Some simple math and yep, disable the traps and walk through the door to safety.

2nd encounter you're in a very small room where the shutter closes, what is the game asking of me here? Do I run in circles in this tiny room hoping a door opens or do I simply fire a few rounds into this massive hulking monster to see if the door unlocks?

- equip any weapon and fire a few rounds
- boss dies
- cutscene activates showing new trap, phase 2 starts

aMb9Ap6_460sa_v1.gif

Door is still locked, what do I do? I'll try killing the boss again.

- boss dies
- shutter opens

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

itsinmyveins

Then, clearly, it's not about scanning the environment for clues but rather trying to shoot things and see if that works.

Don't quite get the chapter 11 criticisms. Is it because it's in daylight? I enjoyed it. Change of pace and scenery worked just fine for me. Was nice not getting beasted by one hit kills after chapter 10.

Hear chapter 12 is a bit shit though.

Piemonkey

Neo Member
Just out of curiosity since I can't measure my experience:

For anyone playing on PC having framerate dips or having trouble keeping the game going at a good framerate, can you try setting the game's process to Normal or higher?

According to this Steam thread the game apparently starts on Low Priority in Windows. Some people are reporting that it resets itself back to Low automatically but that has not been my experience in W8.1 at least.

Just curious if this solves the issue with the game struggling to hit 60fps on high end systems. Never know.

-MD-

Don't get the chapter 11 criticisms. I enjoyed it. Change of pace and scenery worked just fine for me. Hear chapter 12 is a bit shit though.

Was mostly the shit cart ride where enemies just fell over in a single shot and never even return fire + the compound where the game turns into RE4 for 20 minutes and enemies pour out toward you.

The back half of 11 and most of 12 were easily the low points for me.

Then, clearly, it's not about scanning the environment for clues but rather trying to shoot things and see if that works.

=|

Stick to the strategy guide I suppose.

itsinmyveins

=|

Stick to the strategy guide I suppose.

I'm not too fond of the game and I'm just trying to finish it now, and I don't want to use up ammo unnecessarily if that puts me in a bad spot for the next fight. So yeah, I want to see which fights are mandatory and which aren't essentially.

Top Bottom