• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

nilbog21

Banned
just finished the game with 120+ deaths on survival after 16 hours and 30 minutes. thought I wasn't doing too bad, but my death count proves me wrong, lol. had a blast with the game though.

i dont think the number of deaths determine how good or bad you're doing IMO. Frequent checkpoints allows you liberally try new strategies and encourage you to be as efficient and creative as you want. I don't think console gamers like the process of dying and having to reflect and learn something. they just want to get through it as fast and smoothly as possible, like a movie or something

Sometimes I play the game as straight forward as possible and go through entire chapters without dying, but I feel like its much less fun and much less ineffective use of my arsenal. but im crazy, I like to melee as much as possible just cuz the zombie patterns are so simple

nilbog21

Banned
Everything?

Your camera/aim sensitivity. You should always set it to the lowest possible setting that you can tolerate and give your mouse lots of room to move around on your desk. This will give you the absolute most control over your character.

Nemmy

As stupid that phrase is, it is probably the most memorable quote of the game.

No way, that has to be "What the fuck?" :D

Oh, duh. that I guess that would work, even though it's an extra couple steps. Probably quicker than going to the main menu like I had been doing :/

I got myself intentionally killed several times to restart a checkpoint before I noticed the autosave in the load game menu. I don't know what it is about this game that makes me act like a total idiot, but something does.

Jingo

Your camera/aim sensitivity. You should always set it to the lowest possible setting that you can tolerate and give your mouse lots of room to move around on your desk. This will give you the absolute most control over your character.

Sorry i forgot to tell you i was playing in ps4 :S

hew9753

i dont think the number of deaths determine how good or bad you're doing IMO. Frequent checkpoints allows you liberally try new strategies and encourage you to be as efficient and creative as you want. I don't think console gamers like the process of dying and having to reflect and learn something. they just want to get through it as fast and smoothly as possible, like a movie or something

Sometimes I play the game as straight forward as possible and go through entire chapters without dying, but I feel like its much less fun and much less ineffective use of my arsenal. but im crazy, I like to melee as much as possible just cuz the zombie patterns are so simple

True. I finished with about 130 deaths. Sometimes I would die trying an area 2-4 times, then dying again on purpose to go back and complete it with what I thought was the best way through an area.

Trying to slog through this on PS4 but I'm having a hard time. Generally, I don't think I'm very sensitive to frame drops but that must have changed as I have a really hard time not noticing it on this game. It's frequently dropping, never at a stable 30 unless you're in a hallway with nothing else around. In chapter 4 during the village it basically sits at what feels like the low end of twenty and during the boss near the beginning of Chapter 7 it is under that almost entirely.

Probably going to trade it in later this week. It's a shame because I was having a good time. No excuse for a game not to run at a stable 30 this gen. Tone down effects if you have to.

Completed Chapter 11- I don't know what to tell you guys, I didn't find it particularly hard or frustrating ^_^;;

(Note: Going into the chapter, I only know that it's low on everyone's list, just not why)

In terms of the 'theme' I guess I could see the issue? But the new enemies weren't particularly tough nor were the areas particularly long, and the checkpoints were super generous compared to the previous chapters so all in all I had normal fun.

Although I'll admit, it's definitely quite the resource drain but I assume that's it's purpose.

Vizzeh

Banned
Chapters 9 + 10 were amazing,
9 Because of the similarities between Resident Evil Mansion + 10 due to the variety in tension, small rooms with that creepy bitch Laura and HUGE boss, dafuq is that? Reminded me of the twins-gone-wrong......

Ruvik's discussion with Seb was bad-ass, surprised he wasn't a little more pissed, considering I just sprayed his sisters hands all over the elevator.

REALLY do not get some of the hardship dodging Ruvik in 9, never got me once, I pretty much just circled the staircase on each appearance, him disappearing seconds after.

The Sunflower fields was a nice touch too, if not unsettling with the children
Graphics, lighting and shadows in this game are Top notch, definitely growing on me and perhaps underrated, especially given its cross-platform, it more than holds its own.

Neff

The only time Ruvik 'unfairly' got me in chapter 9 was
up on the balcony in the library. Because that space is so narrow, It's hard to turn the camera to see which side of you he appears.

For anyone having trouble, I'd agree with the recommended course of action. Walking slowly will reduce his teleporting, calmly walking in a circle while keeping your eyes on him should enable you to stay away from his grab range.

BeeDog

Up to chapter 11 I believe. Good game so far, though highly inconsistent and janky. The worst part of the game so far is definitely chapter 9 and its occasionally-unavoidable cheap one-touch-kills. Who the hell greenlighted that?

I'm not sure I like the randomness of the game and its environments. Obviously it's fully explained by the plot itself, but some better cohesiveness would've been appreciated.

Just finished this. Jesus, finally.

They really dropped the ball in chapter 15... I won't ever understand why devs are doing this.... So much effort in creating this and then the player is hardly in control. Well, whatever.

Assuming there was some kind of story explanation for everything (probably is but I had a hard time following) this game has the most radomized level structure I've ever seen in my life. It's like they didn't even bother. Like they just created some some levels and then later figured on how they're gonna conntect those. Basically the only consistent thing in this game is the diary entries from Sebastian you are collecting before every save room. Now that is some lazy ass shit IMO.

Anyway, I'm done with this game for good. Biggest disapointment I had in gaming aside from MGS4.

Now up to play some good games.

-MD-

They really dropped the ball in chapter 15... I won't ever understand why devs are doing this.... So much effort in creating this and then the player is hardly in control. Well, whatever.

Assuming there was some kind of story explanation for everything (probably is but I had a hard time following) this game has the most radomized level structure I've ever seen in my life. It's like they didn't even bother. Like they just created some some levels and then later figured on how they're gonna conntect those. Basically the only consistent thing in this game is the diary entries from Sebastian you are collecting before every save room. Now that is some lazy ass shit IMO.

Anyway, I'm done with this game for good. Biggest disapointment I had in gaming aside from MGS4.

How many times did you die?

nilbog21

Banned
I've finally found the only part in this game worthy of criticism - the school bus sequence. What the fuck was that LOL

Rest of the chapter is very fun however

nilbog21

Banned

I'd love to know what good games you are referring to..

Personally I love the story in evil within, in the fact that it doesn't get in the way and waste my time with terrible story telling cutscenes and awful dialogue like 99% of other games. This game is 100% about game play and level design, which it strongly excels at. That being said, I haven't read any of the documents in this game or paid much attention to the story. Because video games.

Please let me know about these better games though, as this is the first game I have found worthy to complete in the last 5 yrs..

I do agree however that telling a story through document reading or by finding recordings is just lazy game design.

I agree, this is the most disappointing thing about TEW.

Who cares if the level design is good though? Does it really have to be coherent if there is variety and good pacing? ..

I like to backtrack in survival horror games especially if you can find collectible stuff. It's probably not fair to compare Mikami's recent games to Resi 4 and Resi 1 but....he made those games so....this is a valid point of criticism (imo).

HeelPower

Who cares if the level design is good though? Does it really have to be coherent if there is variety and good pacing? ..

I'd rather get consistent, complex level design than mash together as many gameplay styles as possible.That's what made the old REs so great to me not the "IT WAS SCARY" people constantly.

My only disappointment with TEW is that I was hoping for a game with a consistent , strong back bone of level design and exploration.It offers that only sometimes.

I guess I can only count on FROMSoftware to deliver on this aspect with BloodBorne.

I like to backtrack in survival horror games especially if you can find collectible stuff. It's probably not fair to compare Mikami's recent games to Resi 4 and Resi 1 but....he made those games so....this is a valid point of criticism (imo).

Even RE4 is not as good as RE2 and 3 when it comes to connectedness of level design and good exploration.

Imo it doesn't deliver compared to these games which were Souls-level of good level design.

Braag

Finally finished the game. 16h 05m 28s and 37 deaths
There were few chapters which I disliked (10, 11, 12) I don't think I've ever played a game similar to this with so many 1 hit kill moments, and usually those were the frustrating parts.
But overall I enjoyed it a lot. I might start a NG+ at some point.

-MD-

Yeah and that short
driving sequence
, LOL!

Is your avatar broken or something? Been like this for awhile.

ttDvYCW.png

The pacing in this game is perfect (like in Resi 4 for example) and even the level structure is similar (not connected though) to RE 4:

Village (TEW, Resi4)
Castle (Resi 4), Church (?) (TEW) (medieval theme)
Catacombs (Resi 4, TEW)
Island (RE 4), Town (TEW) (both very action oriented)
Lab (RE4, TEW)

I didn't count the first and the last chapter of TEW though.

And did anyone else think that there's an "umbrella-symbol" on every save room door?

Is your avatar broken or something? Been like this for awhile.

ttDvYCW.png

Wow, I'll change it. Thanks!

Audioboxer

Chapter 9 felt a bit cheap.

I'm all for shaking things up with the
feeling chased
mechanic, but 1 hit deaths are a fine balance. The souls series is best at them, this felt more annoying.

Although a positive, the story definitely cranked it up here.

Azlan

Okay chapter 9...again....patch this ASAP. this is ridiculous. He spawns right in front of me and kills me within one second every time. How could anyone approve this design decision?

edit: sry for DP

You need to pay close attention to anything you can hid in/under. As soon as the screen starts to change colors run to the neare st hiding spot. I never got nabbed once after I started doing that.

Murtrod

Does anyone know of any graphic mods/enhancements for this game as of now? I've been enjoying myself overall, but I would like to change things up (like removing the letterbox...).

You need to pay close attention to anything you can hid in/under. As soon as the screen starts to change colors run to the neare st hiding spot. I never got nabbed once after I started doing that.

Didn't work. I tried it several times ...
He couldn't see me but he always found me.

addyb

Chapter 9 was the easiest by far for me. Loved it as well. Really enjoying chapter 10
feels like I'm In a saw movie for some reason

1. I just now noticed you can move the camera at the main menu screen

2. Is there a spoiler free way of explaining what happens when you get all the map pieces?

DukeBobby

Near the end of my NG+ playthrough, and I'm feeling a bit down on the game at the moment.

There is a distinct lack of any memorable moments that I will remember several years down the line. When I think of Resident Evil 4, I think of the opening village section, the fight with the chief in the burning barn, the Regenerators, Krauser, etc. Not to mention the cheesy, quotable dialogue. In future LTTP threads for this game, I might say "oh, chapters 9 & 10 were pretty cool" and that's it. I can't even remember the main character's surname, and I only finished playing it about 20 minutes ago.

The game is also wildly inconsistent. Resident Evil 4 got progressively worse (Village > Castle > Island), but the quality never dropped off a fucking cliff like in this game. I could write a laundry list of reasons why I hate chapters 11 & 12. The game picks up again in the last few chapters, but it's not enough. I have just reached chapter 13, and I'm struggling to find the urge to finish it again.

Even at its best, it's nothing more than an 8/10 experience. That's fine for most games, but this is a Mikami title. This was supposed to be the return of survival horror, and, well, it just isn't. It's not scary, it's only moderately tense, and this is coming from someone who's scared shitless by most horror games. Dust particles and great lighting only go so far.

My expectations were just too high, I guess.

Noks415

I seriously just beat the
demon dog boss
by justing melee-ing it in the ass, it never had the chance to charge at me. Feeling proud, and
and I went back to finish him off as well.

Near the end of my NG+ playthrough, and I'm feeling a bit down on the game at the moment.

There is a distinct lack of any memorable moments that I will remember several years down the line. When I think of Resident Evil 4, I think of the opening village section, the fight with the chief in the burning barn, the Regenerators, Krauser, etc. Not to mention the cheesy, quotable dialogue. In future LTTP threads for this game, I might say "oh, chapters 9 & 10 were pretty cool" and that's it. I can't even remember the main character's surname, and I only finished playing it about 20 minutes ago.

The game is also wildly inconsistent. Resident Evil 4 got progressively worse (Village > Castle > Island), but the quality never dropped off a fucking cliff like in this game. I could write a laundry list of reasons why I hate chapters 11 & 12. The game picks up again in the last few chapters, but it's not enough. I have just reached chapter 13, and I'm struggling to find the urge to finish it again.

Even at its best, it's nothing more than an 8/10 experience. That's fine for most games, but this is a Mikami title. This was supposed to be the return of survival horror, and, well, it just isn't. It's not scary, it's only moderately tense, and this is coming from someone who's scared shitless by most horror games. Dust particles and great lighting only go so far.

My expectations were just too high, I guess.

First chapter?
Laura fight (chapter 10)
"Glasses"
"Chapter 10"...really....that was torture^^
Invisible enemies
Village
The "fish"....fuck this thing^^ (chapter 11)
The "Keeper"-boss fight (chapter 7)
The save rooms

And there's more...

I really think that this game is Mikami's "new Resident Evil 4". It's just not polished, the story is bad (?) and the characters are boring (except Joseph, lol).

jackdoe

Didn't work. I tried it several times ...
He couldn't see me but he always found me.
Chapter 9 was ridiculously easy for me once I realized that
he was on a timer, so I could basically run around to avoid him until the timer expired. I ran around in a circle for one encounter in the library.

Do the
Fake Ruviks
have magical awareness, at least on Nightmare and above? I swear I've snuck up perfectly on this one in
Chapter 3
numerous times, only to have it turn around and attack me at the last moment. It's pretty infuriating. Their
lack of sound
is bad enough already, but this is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom