• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

Lol holy shit. So went from "man ammo is plentiful and enemies drop 6 bullets so no reason to not shoot" to "omg I wish I had something to fight back with..."

Lol this game is sounding amazing

Not enough of this IMO...

brutal.gif

You know, he didn't direct it but he sure as hell was a major influence in its development process. Say what you want about Kamiya, but Mikami was still the man behind the curtain.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Any USAers getting the euro limited edition and where the freak is the hardcover strategy guide? No one published to make one?

Lucent

last update for the night

CHAPTER 10 FINISHED
TOTAL PLAY TIME
10 44 47

Chapter 11 start
Half Health
2 Syringes
Handgun 22 bullets
Shotgun 6
Sniper Rifle 2
Agony Bow
Flash Bolt 1
Shock Bolt 1

I guess either i was good or was lucky, maybe both with the last chapter's boss. I found many items after i killed it.

Going to get some sleep now. See you guys in a few.

Slow down, man. Gonna have it beaten tomorrow. lol. =P

But actually, I guess it's up to you. Wouldn't mind a summary review or something if you're not under an embargo. No spoilers, just how you felt about it in general. The time it's taking (almost 11 hours and just starting chapter 11) makes it seem like it'll be a solid 15 hours at the least.

Not enough of this IMO...

brutal.gif

Yeah I don't really care if we don't have that. It's fun in that game, but I don't want my guy to be so tough like "eh, they're just haunted" and bash their brains in without a second thought. lol

last update for the night

CHAPTER 10 FINISHED
TOTAL PLAY TIME
10 44 47

Chapter 11 start
Half Health
2 Syringes
Handgun 22 bullets
Shotgun 6
Sniper Rifle 2
Agony Bow
Flash Bolt 1
Shock Bolt 1

I guess either i was good or was lucky, maybe both with the last chapter's boss. I found many items after i killed it.

Going to get some sleep now. See you guys in a few.

Can you please explain how inventory management works in the game?

Do you have to choose which weapons to carry with you? Or is everything available in the weapon wheel after picking it up?

Sanctuary

Yeah I don't really care if we don't have that. It's fun in that game, but I don't want my guy to be so tough like "eh, they're just haunted" and bash their brains in without a second thought. lol

The gif was just supposed to represent generic stealth killing, not necessarily the brutality of it. In an earlier post someone was talking about how they reached chapter 2 with almost exclusively stealth killing. It was assumed not every encounter would allow for that, but if you can stealth kill in a game like this, it's kind of foolish not to, instead of using up bullets that seem to be in surplus early on.

Lucent

Can you please explain how inventory management works in the game?

Do you have to choose which weapons to carry with you? Or is everything available in the weapon wheel after picking it up?

Pretty sure there's a radial dial you can pick what you wanna use from and it slows down time while you choose. And you assign the 4 things you wanna have quick access to to the d-pad. That's how it's been in videos.

Pretty sure there's a radial dial you can pick what you wanna use from and it slows down time while you choose. And you assign the 4 things you wanna have quick access to to the d-pad. That's how it's been in videos.

Yeah I know that, but I mean can I theoretically be able to carry all the available weapons in the game at once? Or would I have to pick and choose a limited load out?

It seems like the former, but I don't know.

Lucent

Yeah I know that, but I mean can I theoretically be able to carry all the available weapons in the game at once? Or would I have to pick and choose a limited load out?

It seems like the former, but I don't know.

I'm pretty sure you do carry them all. It doesn't seem like he has an attache case like Leon. And I don't see them having a magic box from RE. Plus the guy who kept updating his impressions here kept mentioning what weapons he had and what ammo he had for them on here. Doesn't sound like you get too many.

Grief.exe

I really hope this is a Shadow of Mordor instead of an Alien: Isolation.

All accounts point to flawed, yet overall solid experiences. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

I could easily see the mainstream press reviewing Shadow of Mordor over Alien Isolation and Evil Within as the mechanics are simpler. Then again, who cares what mainstream critics think? I find that I am well outside their target demographic.

bender

What time is it?
I was going to play some RE4 in preparation for TEW but I'd forgotten that I'd finished my professional run earlier in the year. Tuesday needs to hurry up and get here.

Sanctuary

I feel the same way. Lol nice old school touch.

Fuck that. Proper school is more like it.

Alien looks like the better game between the two.

SoM is entirely junk food gaming, and it's great for a while. Until you realize just how broken and hollow it is. Alien Isolation looks like an ultra bore to me though. Not only am I not a fan of first person anything (so done to death), but outside of the Alien encounters, which are supposed to be pretty infrequent, there's absolutely nothing else about the game that interests me.

(Alien and Aliens are also two of my all time favorite movies...)

antitrop

Shadow of Mordor is a great little "sandbox", but the weak campaign structure left me feeling kinda empty.

It was a cute little distraction for a week, which is really all I wanted out of it. Won't be making my GOTY list.

AsfaeksBR

Play Styx, guys.
Amazing stealth game, $30 and will be a nice game to play until TEW releases.
And the game is long too, 15 to 20hrs to finish the campaign.

Sanctuary

It was a cute little distraction for a week, which is really all I wanted out of it. Won't be making my GOTY list.

It's going to be kind of sad if Dark Souls 2 ends up being my GOTY. So far (without having even played the rest) it's looking like my choices will be...

Dark Souls 2 - good still, but not comparable to the previous Souls games really.
The Evil Within
Lords of the Fallen
Dragon Age: Inquisition

It's going to be kind of sad if Dark Souls 2 ends up being my GOTY. So far (without having even played the rest) it's looking like my choices will be...

Dark Souls 2 - good still, but not comparable to the previous Souls games really.
The Evil Within
Lords of the Fallen
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Shame you didn't get to play any of the Wii U gems this year.

DukeBobby

Shadow of Mordor is a great little "sandbox", but the weak campaign structure left me feeling kinda empty.

It's starting to slip down my list.

I previously said that I didn't really care about the story missions, but man, they could have done a better job with them. I can't think of a single memorable one.

Also, the ending was dire. Really, really terrible.

Overall, it's still a great game, though. However, I think I actually prefer Alien: Isolation at the moment. So far, it's a very solid 8-8.5/10.

Sanctuary

Shame you didn't get to play any of the Wii U gems this year.

I actually forgot about Bayonetta 2. Not sure if I will have time to play that this year though, but I planned on getting it. I have a Wii U, but none of the games aside from ZombiU interested me much at all (ended up doing the no death speed run a few days after release). Had fun with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for a while too I guess, but kind of got sick of the camera issues. I used to love the Nintendo platformers, but kind of grew bored with the entire genre years ago. I also never cared about any of the racing games.

I actually forgot about Bayonetta 2. Not sure if I will have time to play that this year though, but I planned on getting it. I have a Wii U, but none of the games aside from ZombiU interested me much at all (ended up doing the no death speed run a few days after release). I used to love the Nintendo platformers, but kind of grew bored with the entire genre years ago. I also never cared about any of the racing games.

Hey. Sounds like you need Pikmin 3.

antitrop

I previously said that I didn't really care about the story missions, but man, they could have done a better job with them. I can't think of a single memorable one.

Overall, it's still a great game, though. However, I think I actually prefer Alien: Isolation at the moment. So far, it's a very solid 8-8.5/10.
I guess the most damning thing I'll take away from Mordor is that I had more fun collecting the different colored plants than I did with the story missions.

Combat mechanics and Nemesis system were great, but it is what it is -- A typical open-world game, for better and worse.

He also gave Assassin's creed 2 a 4.5 and watch dogs a 9.

I like you, i like you a lot.

Sterling is overrated as fuck

Jim Sterling is an example of someone who I do NOT agree with is overall opinion of a game review. What sets him apart from other non-agreeable reviewers is that the content of his review is actually more informative; and therefore a more valuable assessment to how and why I buy the game. Irony at it's finest, but it's also the reason why I wish they did away with the review score altogether.

If I can base my purchase on not agreeing with the overall review opinion while simultaneously being more accurate to the assessment of my interest, than it shows that a review isn't about the entire overall package; but rather, what notable features that I can weigh in to decide whether I will/refuse buy the game.

Overrated. No. I think he's underrated. The kind of gamer who's not afraid to voice his opinion the best he can.

DukeBobby

I actually forgot about Bayonetta 2. Not sure if I will have time to play that this year though, but I planned on getting it. I have a Wii U, but none of the games aside from ZombiU interested me much at all (ended up doing the no death speed run a few days after release). I used to love the Nintendo platformers, but kind of grew bored with the entire genre years ago. I also never cared about any of the racing games.

My man.

I would recommend ZombiU to any horror fan who owns a Wii U. Sadly, that appears to be a very small number of people.

Sanctuary

Jim Sterling is an example of someone who I do NOT agree with is overall opinion of a game review. What sets him apart from other non-agreeable reviewers is that the content of his review is actually more informative; and therefore a more valuable assessment to how and why I buy the game. Irony at it's finest, but it's also the reason why I wish they did away with the review score altogether.

If I can base my purchase on not agreeing with the overall review opinion while simultaneously being more accurate to the assessment of my interest, than it shows that a review isn't about the entire overall package; but rather, what notable features that I can weigh in to decide whether I will/refuse buy the game.

Overrated. No. I think he's underrated. The kind of gamer who's not afraid to voice his opinion the best he can.

Sometimes though it really does read like he's going out of his way to forget what fun is and is being "controversial" just for clicks like what Polygon does. Hell, I consider myself a very jaded and cynical gamer, but that guy blows my mind sometimes with his opinions. I can totally understand not liking specific things in a game, but he sometimes goes overboard with a bunch of inconsequential things.

This has been my opinion of the majority of open world titles in recent memory. Mission design was totally lacking for the whole of last gen. The genre stopped evolving at San Andreas. These days I just look at open world games and think "Did what I enjoy in the game do enough to make it a experience positive overall?" In Shadow of Mordor's case, the nemesis system + simple flashy combat says yes.

And...uh, y'know, Mikami 'n stuff

Top Bottom