• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

It is. Mordor felt like a tech demo for the nemesis system. Story and characters were a complete joke.

If TEW reaches AI level of greatness then I will be one very happy gamer.

The controls with SoM infuriated me at some points during the stealth missions, but it actually sounds like it's quite a bit worse with Styx.

This makes the game tense and the stealth meaningful, but combines with the game’s major flaw, in that it’s also also often repetitive and frustrating. That flaw is the controls.

This used to be a common problem in platform games. You want to drop down and grab on the ledge of the surface you’re currently standing on. A simple request, but one that’s fucking infuriating when the game can’t decide whether you want to drop down and fall or drop down and come immediately back up. It happened to me a hundred times, and each time coming immediately back up would mean I was spotted by a guard and falling down meant I disappeared into the smoky void and died. Even when you’re trying to do something simpler, like jump between two adjacent platforms, the game’s edge detection is flakey, making it unpredictable as to whether Styx would grab on to the wooden beam you were aiming for, some small outcrop of wall nearby, or nothing at all.

Either way, the unforgiving stealth mean that these mistakes most often force you back to the last save. Those saves are either checkpoints – too few and far between to rely on – or manual saves you can make via the menu at any time. The result is that I saved after passing every single room in the game for fear of having to repeat something hard or boring the next time the controls sent me to my doom.

Accurate, or does he just suck?

NAPK1NS

The controls with SoM infuriated me at some points during the stealth missions, but it actually sounds like it's quite a bit worse with Styx.

Pretty accurate. I reviewed it for A website and had a pretty negative takeaway.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Resident Evil 4 - while not necessarily one of my personal favorites - is no doubt a damn near perfect game. I'd probably rate it a 10/10, and I rarely give those out. I'm *REALLY* hoping TEW can somehow capture some of that Lightning in a bottle. I gotta say, I really doubt it... But I'll give it a shot.

There's really very little competition for my GOTY right now. I imagine it's going to be Smash U or Civ After Earth.

I'd review the games I've bought this year as follows:

Mario Kart 8 = 8.5
Smash 3DS = 8.5
WindWaker HD = 8.5
Last of Us Remastered = 8.0
Ground Zeros = 7.5
Titanfall = 7.5
Driveclub = 7.5
Destiny = 6.5
Watch Dogs = 6.0
Hyrule Warriors = 6.0
Elder Scrolls Online = 5.0
PvZ Garden Warfare = 3.0

Haven't played enough:
Bravely Default
Dark Souls 2
Infamous SS
Diablo III ROS

Pretty shitty year for games. Ground Zeroes is tough to judge; only one that is price dependent. Subjectively, I'd give it like a 9; but objectively it's not that good.

My hold outs for games that will be objectively great are Civilization After Earth, Master Chief Collection, and Smash U.

GavinUK86

Bit of both. I feel I may be judging Styx differently due to the developer.

antitrop

I'd review the games I've bought this year as follows
No love for my boy BJ Blazkowicz, this year?

iseI5Q3ImTq1s.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I see the 1 week grace period on a new popular game is over and people have started shitting on it. Its somewhat refreshing how things never change

Resident Evil 4 - while not necessarily one of my personal favorites - is no doubt a damn near perfect game. I'd probably rate it a 10/10, and I rarely give those out. I'm *REALLY* hoping TEW can somehow capture some of that Lightning in a bottle. I gotta say, I really doubt it... But I'll give it a shot.

There's really very little competition for my GOTY right now. I imagine it's going to be Smash U or Civ After Earth.

Mario Kart 8 = 8.5
Smash 3DS = 8.5
WindWaker HD = 8.5
Last of Us Remastered = 8.0
Ground Zeros = 7.5
Titanfall = 7.5
Driveclub = 7.5
Destiny = 6.5
Watch Dogs = 6.0
Hyrule Warriors = 6.0
Elder Scrolls Online = 5.0
PvZ Garden Warfare = 3.0

Haven't played enough:
Bravely Default
Dark Souls 2
Infamous SS
Diablo III ROS

Pretty shitty year for games. Ground Zeroes is tough to judge; only one that is price dependent. Subjectively, I'd give it like a 9; but objectively it's not that good.

My hold outs for games that will be objectively great are Civilization After Earth, Master Chief Collection, and Smash U.

You're probably the first person I've seen who disliked Garden Warfare!

Cwarrior

While Vanquish was great, how did it change gaming forever? (Only asking in comparison to what RE4 did for/to the industry.) I'd love to see more games that took a page from Vanquish's book.

Also I might want my avatar TEW-ed up. Maybe.

it accelerated 3rd person shooters......yeah sadly it only changed my gaming world but i would love for third person shooters to learn from vanquish by making the simple act of traversing the enviroment so fun and exhilarating.

-MD-

PvZ Garden Warfare = 3.0

Out of 10? What the fuck?

You want to drop down and grab on the ledge of the surface you’re currently standing on. A simple request, but one that’s fucking infuriating when the game can’t decide whether you want to drop down and fall or drop down and come immediately back up. It happened to me a hundred times, and each time coming immediately back up would mean I was spotted by a guard and falling down meant I disappeared into the smoky void and died. Even when you’re trying to do something simpler, like jump between two adjacent platforms, the game’s edge detection is flakey, making it unpredictable as to whether Styx would grab on to the wooden beam you were aiming for, some small outcrop of wall nearby, or nothing at all.

Pretty accurate. I reviewed it for A website and had a pretty negative takeaway.

If you hold the A button down you stay hanging and won't pull yourself back up, guy sounds like he's bad. The controls aren't the best but I've had a handful of platforming issues in the 9 hours I've played.

I know why people are having problems, some ledges will have an icon when you lean into them that guarantees your next jump and some don't, the ones that don't people likely aren't leaning exactly where they want to land but rather the general direction and they end up falling.

I'm not gonna say it's flawless, it definitely has moments of extreme jank but hundreds of times lol? Definitely bad at the game.

Mononoke

Banned
Jim Sterling is an example of someone who I do NOT agree with is overall opinion of a game review. What sets him apart from other non-agreeable reviewers is that the content of his review is actually more informative; and therefore a more valuable assessment to how and why I buy the game. Irony at it's finest, but it's also the reason why I wish they did away with the review score altogether.

If I can base my purchase on not agreeing with the overall review opinion while simultaneously being more accurate to the assessment of my interest, than it shows that a review isn't about the entire overall package; but rather, what notable features that I can weigh in to decide whether I will/refuse buy the game.

Overrated. No. I think he's underrated. The kind of gamer who's not afraid to voice his opinion the best he can.

Yeah this. I don't get the whole "overrated" argument just because you don't agree with someone's opinion. I actually agree with you in that, I find my taste's don't line up with Sterling's often enough, and I don't usually agree with his view on games. But I also think his reviews are some of the most insightful (in terms of how they are written, and the information they put forth).

We need to look past this idea of opinions lining up, and instead focus on the quality of the review. Thing is, even when a review of a game doesn't end up lining up with your own opinion, if it has enough info and is well written, you can actually get information from it. I've read reviews that were negative, that actually sold me on the game (because the things that bothered the reviewer didn't bother me, and they also mentioned things about the game I didn't know about).

Anyways, the praise Sterling gets is for his editorial pieces. He tackles a lot of important subjects, and does (WELL IMO) a great job articulating these issues (again, even if I don't always agree with him). That is where most of the praise comes from, and not for his reviews. So again, I'm kind of perplexed by the overrated comment here.

Sometimes though it really does read like he's going out of his way to forget what fun is and is being "controversial" just for clicks like what Polygon does. Hell, I consider myself a very jaded and cynical gamer, but that guy blows my mind sometimes with his opinions. I can totally understand not liking specific things in a game, but he sometimes goes overboard with a bunch of inconsequential things.

Has he done that recently? I've been following his work for the past 4 years. Not intentionally, but just by happen chance. And I agree that some of his past work seemed to be in the vain of drumming up controversy. I haven't seen that in the past year or so. I think he's grown substantially as a writer. If anything, I actually think the guy has a pretty good grasp on what he personally finds fun, and has no care if others don't agree on it. Er what I mean is, the guy actually puts value in fun, and isn't shy about rating a game high if it personally matches up with his idea of fun.

Lucent

Loading time after death fyi is only about 10-12 seconds on PS4. Figured some folks really wanted to know.

Good to know, so for load times, we know PS3 version is 15-20 seconds, and PS4 version is 10-12 seconds.

Yeah really good to know. Sucks it couldn't be like 5 seconds but I've dealt with the loading after death in Dark Souls and such so it's not all bad.

And I'd like to know the answer about the framerate being smooth, too. =P

Sanctuary

Loading time after death fyi is only about 10-12 seconds on PS4. Figured some folks really wanted to know.

Praying that there's not "parity" on the PC, because that shit is unacceptable. Anyone remember when The Witcher was released before the first big patch? Up to 20 second loading times for absolutely no reason. After the patch they were around two.

-MD-

Praying that there's not "parity" on the PC, because that shit is unacceptable. Anyone remember when The Witcher was released before the first big patch? Up to 20 second loading times for absolutely no reason. After the patch they were around two.

Damn, glad I played the Witcher games long after release then lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The fuck? Instruction manual? Vanquish like cover? Why the fuck did I get digital? Is this also for PC? Well ... at least I saved 16€ I guess ...

I will say they have put a surprising amount of effort in this day and age for the packing. Reversible cover, full-color manual, and first print copies include a lenticular slipcover. I'm a bit surprised, if the game turns out to be amazing I am definitely going to have to buy a physical copy. Which will be the fifth copy of the game I've bought, but I don't mind.

Sanctuary

I will say they have put a surprising amount of effort in this day and age for the packing. Reversible cover, full-color manual, and first print copies include a lenticular slipcover. I'm a bit surprised, if the game turns out to be amazing I am definitely going to have to buy a physical copy. Which will be the fifth copy of the game I've bought, but I don't mind.

It's almost like Mikami never escaped 2005. Or it could just be a big "fuck you, this is how it's done" to everyone else. Although I will say that the Souls games have had some really nice tin cases as well as art books. Oh those silly Japanese.

Yeah this. I don't get the whole "overrated" argument just because you don't agree with someone's opinion. I actually agree with you in that, I find my taste's don't line up with Sterling's often enough, and I don't usually agree with his view on games. But I also think his reviews are some of the most insightful (in terms of how they are written, and the information they put forth).

We need to look past this idea of opinions lining up, and instead focus on the quality of the review. Thing is, even when a review of a game doesn't end up lining up with your own opinion, if it has enough info and is well written, you can actually get information from it. I've read reviews that were negative, that actually sold me on the game (because the things that bothered the reviewer didn't bother me, and they also mentioned things about the game I didn't know about).

Anyways, the praise Sterling gets is for his editorial pieces. He tackles a lot of important subjects, and does (WELL IMO) a great job articulating these issues (again, even if I don't always agree with him). That is where most of the praise comes from, and not for his reviews. So again, I'm kind of perplexed by the overrated comment here.

Which is how reviews should be written by default. Even if We don't generally agree with his reviews, it still is a very well informed one. Other "reviews" gloss over important details in favor of creating a rallying cry (if applicable) for a specific demographic. Sometimes, when I see a review, it read like "Haha, see I think it's great and you haters can suck it" and it's only when you delve into the reviews do you realize that criticism is replaced by pretentious remarks masquerading as such.

Dusk Golem

Obviously he can't say though I bet he wants too, but my stance is I'm not worried. If the PS3 version runs very smoothly 95% of the time and has 15-20 second load times, if the PS4 version has 10-12 second load-times I'm lead to believe that the frame rate would be the same or probably smoother than the PS3 version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've played through RE4 so many times on 3 different platforms and I've only just found out that Leon could do a german suplex...

I knew you'd be fine if you landed on your butt.

more RE4 quotes people !

Lucent

I hope this turns out to be good.

When are reviews out?

Embargo ends at 12:01am on the 14th. So like, when it goes from the 13th to officially being the 14th. I don't remember what time zone that is though.

Needs to be thrown in the OP or something cuz it's been asked a million times now. lol

Dusk Golem

Player on PS3 who has played past chapter 10 posting some impressions of the game so far, paraphrasing it here.

As been said, he has completed 10 chapters, his playtime so far is 10 44 47. Five more chapters to go in the game.

Says the game is surprising because it has no filler and it's been a long time since he's played a game like this. No exact repeat scenarios, constantly introducing new things and toying with old elements in new ways, and paced excellently. Says one of the game's strongest points is variety in the game and settings.

Conversely, he says one of the weaker points of the game is reoccurring mini-boss and boss monster characters, says outside of some technical things with the PS3 version of the game his only other complaint might be facing against the same sort of boss creature 2-3 different times, in different scenarios, but more variety would be nice.

Says the last two chapters have been the best chapters so far, and the game has been getting better and better. Says the last two chapters have felt more like a horror game than what has preceded it, and things in the game are getting very weird in a good way.

Minor spoilers of locations/similarities in the newest chapters.
Says there's things starting to pop-ip in the newest chapters, one location reminded heavily of Lovecraft's style, and another really reflective of the Otherworld in Silent Hill.

Paraphrasing done.

ILHASS

Player on PS3 who has played past chapter 10 posting some impressions of the game so far, paraphrasing it here.

As been said, he has completed 10 chapters, his playtime so far is 10 44 47. Five more chapters to go in the game.

Says the game is surprising because it has no filler and it's been a long time since he's played a game like this. No exact repeat scenarios, constantly introducing new things and toying with old elements in new ways, and paced excellently. Says one of the game's strongest points is variety in the game and settings.

Conversely, he says one of the weaker points of the game is reoccurring mini-boss and boss monster characters, says outside of some technical things with the PS3 version of the game his only other complaint might be facing against the same sort of boss creature 2-3 different times, in different scenarios, but more variety would be nice.

Says the last two chapters have been the best chapters so far, and the game has been getting better and better. Says the last two chapters have felt more like a horror game than what has preceded it, and things in the game are getting very weird in a good way.

Says there's things starting to pop-ip in the newest chapters, one location reminded heavily of Lovecraft's style, and another really reflective of the Otherworld in Silent Hill.

Paraphrasing done.
so, RE3 is bad?)

Vaiim

Embargo ends at 12:01am on the 14th. So like, when it goes from the 13th to officially being the 14th. I don't remember what time zone that is though.

Needs to be thrown in the OP or something cuz it's been asked a million times now. lol

Release day embargo... smooth Bethesda -.-

Lucent

^^Hype. No filler is amazing. I don't think repeating mini bosses and bosses is a big deal as long as they mix up what you're doing with them. And it seems like there's quite a variety of normal enemies too.

Paraphrasing done.

*prays game doesn't crash and burn in the last third*

Dusk Golem

I hope when he's in the last chapter, the last boss fight won't be a silly QTE :p
But what am I thinking here lol.

The developers commented the game doesn't have QTEs, and that seems to be true here.

If anything, as a Mikami game, the final boss is going to be blown up by a rocket launcher.

I've had a long time theory of what the final boss will be, but I guess I'll see. For better or worse I think at this point my theory may be on the money.

My theory, some over-observation possible spoilers included, warning may be a major spoiler as I think I'm right:
I believe the final boss is going to be an ancient Lovecraftian-styled monster god. The biggest support for this is that the Japanese novel brought up the five main villains of the game, The Sadist, Laura, The Keeper, Ruvik, and Shigyo, but Shigyo hasn't appeared in ANY media or mentioned anywhere to even be in The Evil Within outside of this one Japanese play novel, and in the play novel, it said Shigyo was, "Sebastian's true arch-nemesis." Its name literally is Japanese for Death Fish, and sounds very Lovecraftian. My long-running theory was that Ruvik is getting his power from something, and its probably this ancient elder god from another dimension. The demo I played at PAX mentioned people were studying where imagination and dreams come from, and something about a portal. I think it's a dimensional beast that has the ability to bring nightmares into reality, a monster of the subconscious and infects people with madness.

Top Bottom