• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I am on Chapter 6 now.

I was loving it until now... Now I'm stuck and getting frustrated. And reading the comments here it sounds like even if/when I get passed this part I'm stuck at I'll end up stuck again.

So do I lower the difficulty? I like a challenge and all, but the frustration is getting old.

Any PC players find a way to fix the FOV since the most recent patch? I've been searching every day on Google, but nothing is coming up. Seems like most people have moved on from this game, which is unfortunate.

I was using Flawless Widescreen- I really hope that got fixed. The patch borked it for me :/

If you can find the original unpatched .exe, you can just replace the patched one and Flawless Widescreen will recognize the game again.

I really wanted to enjoy this game, but ended up uninstalling it somewhere in chapter 10-11. I felt like all of the frustration in this game came from its clunky-ness and design decisions and not my own abilities. I watched a video of the last couple chapters and saw I was in for more of the same as well as a dissatisfying ending, so I don't regret it. Its a shame.

I really wanted to enjoy this game, but ended up uninstalling it somewhere in chapter 10-11. I felt like all of the frustration in this game came from its clunky-ness and design decisions and not my own abilities. I watched a video of the last couple chapters and saw I was in for more of the same as well as a dissatisfying ending, so I don't regret it. Its a shame.

10-12 is the low point of the game for sure, but unfortunately you're right; there's no narrative payoff for the bad parts of the game you endure, and most of the game's best moments are in the first half. You didn't miss much.

I was using my +20% magnum to one-shot Hooded Haunted up to that point so I only had 2 shots. Took both of those shots, 6 +240% harpoon shots, one +40% sniper shot, one incendiary bolt, and about 20 pistol shots to do the job.

Though with some wise shotgun usage on the maggots, I walked out of that fight with about 40 pistol rounds ;)

I didn't fire a single magnum shot on my first playthrough, so I knew exactly when I should've used it when I started my Akumu run. I also made sure to upgrade both the clip capacity and ammo stock to account for the extra ammo you get from the silver cases. Worked out quite nicely.

I primarily used a lightning bolt and a match on the hooded guys, but when I got the fire harpoons I just used that on them (and on just about everything else). That upgrade wrecks everything so bad :lol

-MD-

I am on Chapter 6 now.

I was loving it until now... Now I'm stuck and getting frustrated. And reading the comments here it sounds like even if/when I get passed this part I'm stuck at I'll end up stuck again.

So do I lower the difficulty? I like a challenge and all, but the frustration is getting old.

Game doesn't really become challenging until you unlock nightmare mode imo.

If you're finding it tough to progress on survival I'd just drop it to casual.

I am on Chapter 6 now.

What part are you stuck on? The boss?
If you are having trouble with Laura, you can actually light her on fire while she is coming out of the dead bodies. She always appears on the bodies closest to you, so after you light it and catch her (you can time it too early so be careful), you can quickly run to the next body and get her before she comes out. Getting her in the fire pits also helps a lot.

-MD-

What part are you stuck on? The boss?
If you are having trouble with Laura, you can actually light her on fire while she is coming out of the dead bodies. She always appears on the bodies closest to you, so after you light it and catch her (you can time it too early so be careful), you can quickly run to the next body and get her before she comes out. Getting her in the fire pits also helps a lot.

Nah she's on chapter 5, he's having trouble with 6
(harpoon turret, dog, twin bros etc)

Chabbles

The_Evil_Within_20141103034445.jpg

vlc_2014_11_03_05_10_10_10.jpg

Coincidence ?, i think NOT!

Nah she's on chapter 5, he's having trouble with 6
(harpoon turret, dog, twin bros etc)

I see, I mixed them up.
The dogs I didn't have too much trouble with and I killed both of them, I had my explosive arrows saved up and one seemed to knock them down, though I noticed that one time it shook it off, so it would be bad luck if it did that for every one. When it was getting up, I usually just froze it, then when it was coming out of the freeze, I just threw a grenade which could knock it down again. I need some time to go through Akumu but I've been pretty busy but I hope my tactic works on it. The giant twins, I actually killed them separately, since it seems you can kill the first one in that hallway you start in, and the other one shouldn't come in until it dies. Watching some other people at this part, it seems if you run forward, both twins will be in the fight, so it might be better to kill the first one before moving forward.

I don't see how it's physically possible to pass the part in chapter 6
where you have to snipe the guys in the boxes who're shooting spikes at you, while fending off infinite waves of enemies and keeping the guy with the glasses alive
. This might be the most frustrated I've ever been at a video game. I'm so angry. I'm too old for this shit. I'm done.

pupcoffee

where you have to snipe the guys in the boxes who're shooting spikes at you, while fending off infinite waves of enemies and keeping the guy with the glasses alive
. This might be the most frustrated I've ever been at a video game. I'm so angry. I'm too old for this shit. I'm done.

Really? I found this so easy. The arrows don't hit you if you stand in the open, only if you stand in openly in the one spot they land. You can easily stand outside of their range and snipe them in the open. As for the other zombies, just wait til they're all dead before you go for the spike-launchers, which are easily avoided.

The guy with the glasses also can pretty much kill most of them for you, at least he did for me. Reviving him is a quick process.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard

huh?

joseph is pretty much invincible. just let him do his thing and focus on sniping the guys in the boxes in between defending your back.

this echoes a segment in re4, and you handle it pretty much the same way.

Chabbles

I just done that part afew hours ago, Its really not that hard if you keep moving. snipe the guys in the boxes immediately. When you do get past the waves of enemies though, theres a surprise waiting for you.
Tip - make some explosive bolts

edit,
I like that! Nice catch.

Man, its like Mikami thought ahead of time and put a brain in that REmake scene in preparation for this game, he's a mad genius.

-MD-

You aim into the boxes and shoot them. When an enemy on the ground get too close you fend them off.

It wasn't even hard =/

Really? I found this so easy. The arrows don't hit you if you stand in the open, only if you stand in openly in the one spot they land. You can easily stand outside of their range and snipe them in the open. As for the other zombies, just wait til they're all dead before you go for the spike-launchers, which are easily avoided.

The guy with the glasses also can pretty much kill most of them for you, at least he did for me. Reviving him is a quick process.

huh?

joseph is pretty much invincible. just let him do his thing and focus on sniping the guys in the boxes in between defending your back.

this echoes a segment in re4, and you handle it pretty much the same way.

Joseph seems to be made out of glass to me. He dies nearly instantly. Also, the other zombies spawn infinitely as far as I can tell, so I don't see how to kill them off
. I'm probably doing it wrong though, I suck at games.

-MD-

Joseph seems to be made out of glass to me. He dies nearly instantly. Also, the other zombies spawn infinitely as far as I can tell, so I don't see how to kill them off
. I'm probably doing it wrong though, I suck at games.

The enemies do stop coming. There is never an infinite supply of enemies in any part of the game as far as I could tell.

-MD-

Fend them off? I have very little ammo and melee is useless.

There is ammo laying all around in that area, do you have any matches? Shoot legs and drop a match. Stick near Joseph, let him score some kills & heal when needed, avoid the spots where the hapoons land. Craft some bolts if you have parts.

You can drop the difficulty down in the options if needed.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try it a few more times. I just don't think my broken down old body is capable of this extreme level of gaming anymore though. I'd gladly trade Joseph for Sheva at this point.

On that part, you know how that one guy pulls the lever near the first turret and you get the prompt to hold a button to look at him? You can just shoot and kill him before he pulls it and there will be less enemies in the first wave. I found that out because I felt I was using too much ammo for that part, so I went back to do it again and tried that out.

Well, I managed to pass that part via some sort of miracle...
but of course once I passed it, there was a chainsaw dude waiting for me...FUCK
. This game might actually literally kill me through heart attack.

Ch. 10 cleared. Not a big fan of the
Garrador-ish enemies
nor of that final
boss battle, with the stun effects only lasting 2 seconds. Still beats the Ch.6 dog stuff though.
Not sure I was much of a fan of the chapter, though I think I've been pretty ambivalent to the game outside of some areas. Enjoying it in my own way, but still haven't been really grabbed in a definitive fashion.
Well, I managed to pass that part via some sort of miracle...
but of course once I passed it, there was a chainsaw dude waiting for me...FUCK
. This game might actually literally kill me through heart attack.

It would be nice if the game didn't telegraph a lot of similar moments with cutscenes and focused cams. Wouldn't help your heat attack scenario though I would imagine :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm at chapter 9, maaan, this is tense (to me at least).
that f*cking music and color filter changes when HE shows up)!!!

Gurish

I am on Chapter 6 now.

If you are having troubles on chapter 6 than yes, maybe you should lower the difficulty, although chapter 7 and 8 are not as hard, but there are higher difficulty spikes after that might frustrate you even more.

Lord Phol

Beat it last week, it was a bumpy but mostly fun ride ride. Have to echo about the large amount of 1 hit kills in the later chapters being a bad decision, especially the
return of grudge girl
"boss"-segment. God that part was awful to replay over and over.

The enemies do stop coming. There is never an infinite supply of enemies in any part of the game as far as I could tell.

I'm happy that this was the case, made me enjoy those parts alot more. Really dislike infinite spawning enemies.

KingV

In just started playing this last night, I really didn't like Chapter 1, though its the only part so far I would say was actually at all scary.

I will say this is one of the most atmospheric games I have played in a long time. The dialogue is cheesy, but the story is put together in a neat way that 'almost' makes sense but keeps you confused too.

Also, the
scene where they ate in the ambulance and the city is falling apart
is one of the most impressive things I have seen in a video game. It may not be technically great, but on sheer spectacle and attention to detail it was amazing.

So far the frame rate doesn't seem as bad as I thought given the complaining. Only real complaint is that you have tonight a bit too much against the black bars at times.

Is there an ETA for any of the DLC? I just realised the Season Pass is 50% off on Steam during the Halloween sale. Seems highly unusual for a game only a couple weeks old, so I'm tempted to jump on it, but if it's 6-12 months off I'm sure it'll be discounted again in another sale.

bosseye

No idea how you lot are playing this on the hardest difficulty levels! I'm on easy peasy and still finding it a challenge.

Good game though, very atmospheric. Love the way a bullet to the head sometimes just rips half of it away and the enemy keeps coming, looks great.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is there an ETA for any of the DLC? I just realised the Season Pass is 50% off on Steam during the Halloween sale. Seems highly unusual for a game only a couple weeks old, so I'm tempted to jump on it, but if it's 6-12 months off I'm sure it'll be discounted again in another sale.

It's probably going to be one of those DLC deals it releases a few months after the main game. Apparently the development of the DLC started very close to the game's release.

I expect the Keeper DLC will be out within the next month or two though, the first part of the Jul DLC part 1 will be out in 3-8 months, and the part 2 Juli DLC will be out in 10-14 months.

Gurish

Just finished chapter 12 with literally no ammo at all including all my precious grenades, do have some bolt parts though but not too much, I'm screwed ha? :p

It's probably going to be one of those DLC deals it releases a few months after the main game. Apparently the development of the DLC started very close to the game's release.

I expect the Keeper DLC will be out within the next month or two though, the first part of the Jul DLC part 1 will be out in 3-8 months, and the part 2 Juli DLC will be out in 10-14 months.

Cool, thanks. I might as well just buy it now.

KingV

No idea how you lot are playing this on the hardest difficulty levels! I'm on easy peasy and still finding it a challenge.

Good game though, very atmospheric. Love the way a bullet to the head sometimes just rips half of it away and the enemy keeps coming, looks great.

In the same boat. I'm too old for frustration... Barely.

Dyno

I'm playing the game once a week on my game night with friends. Last session we got stuck on Chapter 3.
It's the barn with a couple buildings around it. You have to beat the big, chainsaw guy. We tried setting things on fire, leading it into traps, shooting it in the face with everything we have. We have no idea how close we are to beating it.

Any tips or advice?

We're gonna put a mechanic in the game where you can disable chest traps. Just make sure that you open the chest slightly then you can disarm it.
(After chapter 4)
Never appears again.

I'm playing the game once a week on my game night with friends. Last session we got stuck on Chapter 3.
It's the barn with a couple buildings around it. You have to beat the big, chainsaw guy. We tried setting things on fire, leading it into traps, shooting it in the face with everything we have. We have no idea how close we are to beating it.

Any tips or advice?

the house with the two traps (hallway and dining room by the stairs. use that table and the upstairs as a means of making the guy chase you. both areas are circular, so you can never be cornered by him. run upstairs and make him chase you, circle around the rooms and run down stairs, go out to the hallway and wait for him to come downstairs, activate the trap. run into the dinning room and use the table as a buffer so you can get back upstairs. rinse. repeat.

Nemmy

We're gonna put a mechanic in the game where you can disable chest traps. Just make sure that you open the chest slightly then you can disarm it.
(After chapter 4)
Never appears again.

Pretty sure it's last seen in chapter 6. But yeah, they kind of forgot about those chests afterwards :p

heh, me too, but I dropped it down when I got tired of the loading times and unskippable cut scenes. I don't have time for that rubbish, I need Trials/Driveclub levels of loading times if I'm going to keep dying while I experiment with tactics.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The chest mechanic is not the only mechanic forgotten, but actually I'm not sure forgotten is the right word for it. More like some elements of the game are used to limited quantity for a chapter or a few before dropped for the rest of the adventure, maybe to help keep the pacing up, fend off repetition, etc.

Other examples of this include the invisible enemies (who only appear for a brief part of the game then never again show up), the poison fog rooms in Chapter 7, the lightable environment objects such as hay stacks and oil in chapters 2-4, and so on and so on.

Another thing I noticed is that the game has a lot of the same sort of traps for most of the game, but then suddenly introduces a few new traps in Chapters 13 and 14 that are only used briefly as they show up so late into the game.

All this isn't particularly a flaw per say as the game has so many ideas and works many in and keeps up a good variety of ideas to avoid the game from becoming old or samey during its 13-17 hour run, but if you really think about it, it does seem like some mechanics could of been used more or used in some more creative situations rather than just appearing briefly and then being gone. It almost reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy 2 in that way, so many ideas in different areas of the game but very few of them are actually expanded on, which isn't really a con as it makes up for it in variety and solid core mechanics, but it might have been nice to see some of those ideas more developed.

Flarin

Tried out the free Steam demo on Friday and picked up the full game after finishing it. Loving it so far. Evil Within is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Spooky atmosphere with lot's of tense moments and the need to conserve ammo.

After finishing 5 chapters my one and only complaint so far is
those damn invisible enemies.
Seriously just wtf? Not fun, challenging or scary. Just annoying.

I've also heard it kind of goes downhill after Ch. 5? Any truth to that?

Tried out the free Steam demo on Friday and picked up the full game after finishing it. Loving it so far. Evil Within is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Spooky atmosphere with lot's of tense moments and the need to conserve ammo.

After finishing 5 chapters my one and only complaint so far is
those damn invisible enemies.
Seriously just wtf? Not fun, challenging or scary. Just annoying.

I've also heard it kind of goes downhill after Ch. 5? Any truth to that?

nope. some say after chapter 10. i'm on 11 though so i can't comment on that. 6-10 were great to me. especially chapter 9. best of the game to me

Bydobob

Any tips or advice?

I didn't bother with the traps as I found the window of opportunity too small. From recollection it took 3 exploding bolts, a hand grenade and a couple of shotgun blasts. Use the ladders in the barn to buy you time and set him up with a grenade/bolts when he reaches the top.

So I picked this up for cheap after a mixed experience with the demo. On Chapter 7 now and I've been really impressed with the variety on offer. Game does a great job throwing you off guard without feeling too trial and errory. There's often enough time to figure out your surroundings and make a good first effort. I really wish they had tightened up the presentation however, game has some unforgiveable bugs for a final retail product. Anyone else encountered this creeping grass bug on Chapter 6? Followed me everywhere.

8A9VlVa.jpg

Nemmy

All this isn't particularly a flaw per say as the game has so many ideas and works many in and keeps up a good variety of ideas to avoid the game from becoming old or samey during its 13-17 hour run, but if you really think about it, it does seem like some mechanics could of been used more or used in some more creative situations rather than just appearing briefly and then being gone. It almost reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy 2 in that way, so many ideas in different areas of the game but very few of them are actually expanded on, which isn't really a con as it makes up for it in variety and solid core mechanics, but it might have been nice to see some of those ideas more developed.

It's also kind of like RE4 - how many dumpsters to hide Ashley in were there, three? Leon's binoculars were also interactive once in the whole game, blocking doors with movable objects was similarly forgotten after the cabin fight, and so on.

In regards to TEW's dropped concepts, I abolutely agree with the bolded. Whether it was an intentional attempt at creating more variety or an actual mistake, it looks sloppy.
At the same time, they kept bombs, but just placed them in more and more annoying locations.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Somewhere on Chapter 3.

So far, I like it but it reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Damned.
Reminded me how much of a gem that game was, and how it's a shame we didn't get a sequel :(.

Just something about the aesthetic, character movement, and some of the combat mechanics that are familiar. Though while SotD is more action/arcade focused and had a way more likeable hero/cast of characters, I think the parallel is still there.

Looking forward to getting more into Evil Within, though.
It's pretty gruesome and nonsensical.

Top Bottom