• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Gurish

I really liked that encounter and thought it was well designed.

Don't know, I didn't find the idea
of running around looking and shooting tiny switches while a one-hit kill boss was chasing me fun, not to mention the fire trap when the doors close on you and you are supposed to look for a small switch in the ceiling, that was quite cheap and there is no way you can find it first try (you don't even understand what's happening and before noticing you are already starting to burn)
, BUT, even that encounter had a check point in the middle so let's not get out of proportions here, bad part yes, but not "I quit the game this is shit!" kind of level.

In a game where you have like 50-100 deaths in a playthrough it's certainly annoying. Especially because usually the deaths tend to be grouped to a single spot so it's like "play for 3 mins -> die -> load -> get back to where you died -> play for 3 mins -> repeat"

So spend that 20 seconds to plan out your move better instead of rushing in and dying repeatedly.

Leckan

Is there a story reason why Sebastian's leg magically got fixed in the elevator to chapter 2 that I missed? I get why they didn't want you hobbling around the entire game but couldn't they at least have put in a short cut-scene where he is bandaging that gash up?

It's so jarring.

Is there a story reason why Sebastian's leg magically got fixed in the elevator to chapter 2 that I missed? I get why they didn't want you hobbling around the entire game but couldn't they at least have put in a short cut-scene where he is bandaging that gash up?

It's so jarring.

How far in the game are you? I think somehow it handwaves most things in the game to a degree.

It's basically Inception. The doctor even says they all effect the world to some degree but Ruvik is the main one in control. I guess that's why Seb always has a way out of a death trap or always gets supplies, he probably wants them. For me that somehow makes me able to write off a lot of inconsistent weird stuff in the game and just say that it's in their head or something lol. He just got better is as plausible explanation as any for this game tbh.

Xpliskin

It's so jarring.

Did you finish the game ?

In a nutshell, this game:
Inception : Halloween version

MagneticDeath

Neo Member
is there a penalty to using those medkit items? Does it really increase your actual max hp?

Yes it does raise your max hp, the only penalty is you are disorientated for a few seconds after using it. You cannot shoot or defend yourself so only use if you have to or are in a safe place.

*beaten gotta remember to refresh after reading thru the pages.

Yeah, it increases. You get put in a daze where you can't really do anything for a bit, so it's best used after combat when you're low on health.

thanks!

also, anyone got upgrade suggestions? Here is where I'm at:

Life 4/5
Sprint 4/5
Handgun Damage 2/5, Critical 5/5
Shotty Damage 2/5, Clip capacity 2/5
Handgun Ammo 5/5
Shotty Ammo 3/5
Rifle Ammo 3/5
Agony Bolts 3/3
Grenades 3/5
Syringes 2/3
Matches 4/5
Flash Bolts 2/5
Harpoon 4/5

I'm sitting on 21,800 gel in chapter 9 at the moment. Anything not listed hasn't been upgraded. Suggestions?

thanks!

also, anyone got upgrade suggestions? Here is where I'm at:

Life 4/5
Sprint 4/5
Handgun Damage 2/5, Critical 5/5
Shotty Damage 2/5, Clip capacity 2/5
Handgun Ammo 5/5
Shotty Ammo 3/5
Rifle Ammo 3/5
Agony Bolts 3/3
Grenades 3/5
Syringes 2/3
Matches 4/5
Flash Bolts 2/5
Harpoon 4/5

I'm sitting on 21,800 gel in chapter 9 at the moment. Anything not listed hasn't been upgraded. Suggestions?

I think getting harpoon to level 5 is a good idea if you are going for a certain achievement in chapter 10. Though you are going to need lots of trap parts. If you don't care for it, I personally still like the lvl5 harpoons myself, since they kill most things in one 1 shot and even beefy enemies like Keepers in 2.

Chabbles

Chapter 10 is a bitch, no warning, no prep, it comes out of nowhere. i cant remember a game with so many opportunitys for cheap death after cheap death, so much trial and error.. felt like playing a bunch of terrible never ending quick time events from beginning to end, true fucking horror. Chapter 11 was a bitch too, but i was already so numb from chapter 10 i didnt even care.

With some of the encounters in chapter 10 and just the whole look and vibe of the level being so good, it could of been much better without the bullshit of having to reply sections again and again to where the novelty of how awesome the level is, wears off(atleast it did with me). One smooth run through on Chapter 10 would of been a very memorable experience for all the right reasons imo.

Yeah, it increases. You get put in a daze where you can't really do anything for a bit, so it's best used after combat when you're low on health.

Pretty sure this is backwards too.
Heal yourself with a bandage > loses focus and on the brink of fainting
Inject yourself with a syringe > has no side effects

myco666

Don't know, I didn't find the idea
of running around looking and shooting tiny switches while a one-hit kill boss was chasing me fun, not to mention the fire trap when the doors close on you and you are supposed to look for a small switch in the ceiling, that was quite cheap and there is no way you can find it first try (you don't even understand what's happening and before noticing you are already starting to burn)
, BUT, even that encounter had a check point in the middle so let's not get out of proportions here, bad part yes, but not "I quit the game this is shit!" kind of level.

The fire trap is kinda tricky on the first run but it still gives you enough time to react to find the switch. I realized that there would be a switch too late and didn't manage to shoot it since the fire interrupts aiming and shooting.
But yeah I can understand if someone doesn't like the encounter for reasons you posted. I like it for those exact reasons though.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished the game at 17.5 hours and 104 deaths on survival. It's a good game, but one I would hesitantly recommend as it's very much for a certain audience with a decent tolerance for frustrating parts. A lot of the chapters were fine, but some not so much.

One thing I can say without hesitation is that imo this is the best looking game of 2014. It may not be pushing crazy tech, but as is shown year after year in the game industry, Japan knows its stuff when it comes to art design. Just as Team Silent created the most striking visuals with Silent Hill, Naoki Katakai just does an amazing job with TEW. The lighting, the effects, the rain, even the letterboxing works. It feels like this perfect mindfuck gritty noir psychological detective horror tale; which is exactly what it is! So the visuals just portray the game absolutely perfect.

Music is pretty good as well, though as much as I like Fukuda, I kind of wish Mikami got Yamaoka to go full Silent Hill in atmosphere :p The save room music selection is beautiful though.

The level design is the best this year and one of the worst. The game is incredible for an AAA game in that it's super long and constantly has variety in locations, enemies, bosses, traps, mixing up action & stealth, adventure in a variety of scenarios. TEW reminds me heavily of RE4 in this aspect as RE4 was an impressively long and varied game and TEW is very much the spiritual successor. It's actually nice that such a lengthy game can keep introducing ideas and only use them a few times because it has so much to use. Keeps it fresh and always interesting and never feeling repetitive. On the down side, there's lots of bad player signaling, too many scripted sequences of trial & error, and a lot of cheap deaths at parts which all detract in the moments from the overall fantastic large-length adventure that Tango have created.

Story is solid and provides proper psychological draping. It's a mess, but told in a way that's supposed to be a jumbled mess. Yes, none of the characters are anything more than wooden, but that's not really out of place for the horror genre, and especially Japanese horror. It's more about the story itself and not the characters. You don't need to get attached to Sebastian because it's more interesting just trying to figure out the overall mystery of what's going on than his particular tale.

Gameplay is good. Combat has good feedback, weapons are fun to use (bow is great!) challenge in combat is tough but fair, though the game really should give some i-frames for canned animations like lighting a match or stealth killing an enemy. There's good enemy variety and the combat scenarios mix things up well. The few actual boss fights that are actually combat fights are fun and intense. The upgrade system is fine and New Game+ is always a great addition.

Overall The Evil Within really feels like the game you would expect the guy who made Resident Evil 4 to make after RE4, a similar genre game but taken in new directions to make it feel unique and not just derivative. It has a lot of the good parts of RE4's design: Great combat, Varied level design, Good atmosphere. But then brings in survival design from games like Dark Souls where you're encouraged to play slowly and creep through the world with your eyes open at all times, where instant death is around every corner, and then TEW combines it with the psychological story and darker horror of Silent Hill.

The downside though is that it just doesn't nail what it takes from all these games right. The combat is can be a bit janky and not as fun as RE4 (and unfortunately TEW lacks any pure combat Mercenaries type modes), the survival, careful trap and encounter design, is off just enough that it can often be cheap and at times frustrating instead of the fun keep-your-eyes-open challenge that the Souls games bring and the story just doesn't come together as much as a good Silent Hill type psychological horror tale would do. At times it seems like it's trying to do too much and exploding from the attempt to contain it all.

So what you end up with is a would-be-masterpiece that's flawed in just about every aspect and, at least the first time around, requires patience and tolerance for flawed bits that usually feel more of a "ran out of time" jank than necessarily bad game design. It's tough to really put a number to a game like this because you really want to love it, but objectively it's got flaws spilling out everywhere.

But one thing is for sure, is that it's at the very least a good ambitious game. And for a niche genre like this, it's never bad having an ambitious good game; even if you're gonna get stabbed a few times by its thorns.

Yes it does raise your max hp, the only penalty is you are disorientated for a few seconds after using it. You cannot shoot or defend yourself so only use if you have to or are in a safe place.

*beaten gotta remember to refresh after reading thru the pages.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I thought it meant temporarily raises your health as a booster or something.

I finished the game never using a single med kit (had like 4 or 5) and still had all my syringes and never used my
magnum
once (was saving it for final bosses). I tend to horde the best items in games saving them for when I really desperately need them, but then the game ends and I never needed them ^^;

Finally beat chapter 10.

Overall, it wasn't as bad as i thought.
The sister fight was frustrating, but mostly because of the loading times. The other fight was a little bit more fun, and the monster design was cool, but it was just the dog boss over again.

I still can't say if i like this game or not. It's a weird weird game.
Anyone knows if there's a soundtrack out there? I really enjoy the ambiant tracks.

JRW

So I've been struggling a bit with the Chapter 10 boss and just realized this game has a strong Dark Souls vibe at this point lol.

KingV

I've played a bit more and am definitely of two minds on the game. At times it is awesome and super fun, but then I die because of jank and it pisses me off.

Finding the right place to stand to drop a match as enemies are bearing down on you is infuriating, they should have made the positioning more lenient.

myco666

Got to the village in chapter 2 on Akumu mode. Didn't think it was going to be this rough. There is seriously no room for error and the fact that it varies encounter doesn't help either. So any general tips aside from don't upgrade health abilities/stock.

Nibel

So I've been struggling a bit with the Chapter 10 boss and just realized this game has a strong Dark Souls vibe at this point lol.

Pro-tip:
use stealth. Hide from it. If he comes into the area you are in, wait until the eye appears and scans the area. If the eye is out, use stun bolts to blind it and then shoot shit into it or throw grenades. Repeat until it opens up its face and reveals some purple eye; keep your distance at all costs since now the monster is able to instant-kill you.

Hide in one of the two rooms, wait until he comes close, shoot all your stuff into it, and when it looks like the monster withdraws, quickly run out and run to the other room and repeat.

Use the Magnum and Sniper, shoot everything you have and it should be dead very soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you can find the original unpatched .exe, you can just replace the patched one and Flawless Widescreen will recognize the game again.

You don't have any idea where a safe source of the original .exe file might be?

I'd love to go back to this game and finish it up... but, man, that default FOV is murder.

This was my video for chap 10 boss fight. Beat him on my second try on a new game of Survival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAD7tVqFie0

Maybe I got lucky, who knows? :p

P.S I want to ask what is the best way to start trophy hunting for the game. I finished the game on Survival with about 18 trophies. Should I start a NG+ on Casual to grind for the rest of the trophies? Will the lockers and their keys remain the same as I left them in Survival? What about the maps?

myco666

This was my video for chap 10 boss fight. Beat him on my second try on a new game of Survival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAD7tVqFie0

Maybe I got lucky, who knows? :p

P.S I want to ask what is the best way to start trophy hunting for the game. I finished the game on Survival with about 18 trophies. Should I start a NG+ on Casual to grind for the rest of the trophies? Will the lockers and their keys remain the same as I left them in Survival? What about the maps?

If you start new game+ on casual you will have everything that you've collected on the first playthrough so feel free to drop the difficulty for trophy hunting.

If you start new game+ on casual you will have everything that you've collected on the first playthrough so feel free to drop the difficulty for trophy hunting.
Thanks for the answer.

So If I understand correctly, I can get almost all of the trophies on a casual NG+ minus the Akumu + Shortest playtime one? Then I can play the game again two times to get the rest? The green gel one can perhaps take another playthrough, the shortest one (third NG+ on casual).

Ofcourse Akumu difficulty is the hardest and hence it will take me a while to get through it. But I am confident I might do it and get the plat for the game.

myco666

Thanks for the answer.

So If I understand correctly, I can get almost all of the trophies on a casual NG+ minus the Akumu + Shortest playtime one? Then I can play the game again two times to get the rest? The green gel one can perhaps take another playthrough, the shortest one (third NG+ on casual).

Ofcourse Akumu difficulty is the hardest and hence it will take me a while to get through it. But I am confident I might do it and get the plat for the game.

Yes the only ones you can't get on NG+ are akumu and no upgrade run but you should be able to get everything else. Also there is one trophy that you get from not getting hit in certain encounter so I would advice to do it on akumu run since you are not allowed to take hits during that mode.

I just started Akumu mode myself and only thing I can say is be prepared to die a lot.

Ivan

I finished the game on survival and now I feel very proud :D.

It certainly has it's flaws, but for me, this is a masterpiece. Everything I hoped for.

I must say that I like TEW more than RE4. The tone of the whole game, aesthetics and design in general blew my mind. It's a preference after all, but this was made for me. The game never goes over the top THAT much, so that's what really made a difference for me.

I really liked how they streamlined some of the old mechanics, like picking up items without confirmation screen etc. And that TLOU influence, too.

Now I have an urge to play it again right away, and that never happens to me.

Don't give up on the rough parts guys, this game deserves it.

Riposte

30 deaths for me (used reload a lot). I regret playing almost the entire game on a TV with some minor degree of input lag.

Do you lose your upgrade progress when you go into Nightmare?

myco666

30 deaths for me (used reload a lot). I regret playing almost the entire game on a TV with some minor degree of input lag.

Do you lose your upgrade progress when you go into Nightmare?

Only if you choose NG+ you don't lose any upgrades. So if you have only finished survival or casual you don't get any of those upgrades to nightmare since you have to choose NG first time through it.

Dyno

My friend and I took the day off work and played the game for around eight hours. We finally got through Chapter 3 and then made our way to Chapter 7.

You're just so weak at Chapter 3 and that's why it's so hard. In order to drop the Sadist I had to hit him with two motion traps (I shot them), two exposive bolts, two harpoon bolts, and two shotgun blasts. It's a lot to juggle. Right after that you get upgraded and you become way more capable. The game still has tough spots you have to do a few times over but nothing like Chapter 3.

The levels are good and the monsters are wild. You never know what a chapter holds or where it's going to take you. We were so happy to finally emerge into the sunlight at Chapter 6. The story is wack but nothing is real and everything changes on a dime so you just roll with it.

Looking forward to the next chapters.

antitrop

You're just so weak at Chapter 3 and that's why it's so hard. In order to drop the Sadist I had to hit him with two motion traps (I shot them), two exposive bolts, two harpoon bolts, and two shotgun blasts. It's a lot to juggle. Right after that you get upgraded and you become way more capable. The game still has tough spots you have to do a few times over but nothing like Chapter 3.

lol, or you could just take him to the house with the harpoon trap lever and hit him once or twice with it, instead of wasting all those supplies.

I found that if I finished a section and then reloaded it, there was always a way to do it easier, faster, and without wasting as many resources. It's a game of efficiency, and I found that style of play was rewarded with minimal frustration throughout the entire game.

Sometimes I found it tedious, but never once frustrating or overly challenging.

-MD-

Nightmare is a lot of fun. Only disappointing thing is I remember folks saying puzzles scaled with difficulty which I'm pretty sure is bullshit, all the puzzles are the same so far (up to chap 7).

Man, I really can't wait for that story DLC.

akumu is a separate difficulty after nightmare? i really would like to try for a platinum on this, but i can't see myself playing the game 4 more times (upgrade and collectible NG+ run, nightmare run, akumu run, no gel upgrade run)

-MD-

akumu is a separate difficulty after nightmare? i really would like to try for a platinum on this, but i can't see myself playing the game 4 more times (upgrade and collectible NG+ run, nightmare run, akumu run, no gel upgrade run)

Yes it's different from Nightmare.

Two questions:

What are the odds that this game will go on Steam sale this Black Friday or Holiday?

If I get the boxed version, does it install in Steam (ala Civ V) or something else?

-MD-

Two questions:

What are the odds that this game will go on Steam sale this Black Friday or Holiday?

If I get the boxed version, does it install in Steam (ala Civ V) or something else?

Probably a decent chance of a discount, I wouldn't expect anything greater than 25-33% off though. The season pass will prob be 50% off again if it does.

And yes the game will redeem to steam.

Bladenic

Thanks.

Last question, should I get this game or Watchdogs? I thought Watchdogs was a shoe-in, but heard it under-delivered.

Depends on if you want another Ubisoft open world game or a survival action game in the vein of RE4 but with more emphasis on survibal and less supplies.

-MD-

Thanks.

Last question, should I get this game or Watchdogs? I thought Watchdogs was a shoe-in, but heard it under-delivered.

I haven't played Watch Dogs so I can't say, between it looking really boring and my friends telling me it was really boring I just entirely ignored it.

Love this game though. It's really up to you, they're both entirely different experiences.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about renting this from Redbox for the PS3 (and possibly buying it for PC later on down the line if I love it). Two questions though:

1) Is the PS3 version playable? Don't really care about relatively graphical fidelity, I'm just more worried about framerate dips, pop-ins, loading times, and other wonky stuff

2) How long does it take to beat? I've read 15-20 hours. Is that accurate?

Sorry if these questions have been asked a bajillion times, I just don't want to wander through the thread and possibly stumble upon spoilers.

Dyno

lol, or you could just take him to the house with the harpoon trap lever and hit him once or twice with it, instead of wasting all those supplies.

Yeah we found a couple good traps in the homes AFTER he was beat. LOL!

I found that if I finished a section and then reloaded it, there was always a way to do it easier, faster, and without wasting as many resources. It's a game of efficiency, and I found that style of play was rewarded with minimal frustration throughout the entire game.

Yeah, that's been my take-away too. At the start of the Chapter 3 boss fight Seb says "gotta take this guy out fast" or something like that. Basically the long anything goes on the more chances there are that you're going to get hit.

Nemmy

Going by this thread, yes. Some people had playtimes about 15 hours, others (myself included) reached around 20 - it depends on how you play, I was rather thorough and slow.

Can't help you with the PS3 version I'm afraid.

myco666

Thinking about renting this from Redbox for the PS3 (and possibly buying it for PC later on down the line if I love it). Two questions though:

1) Is the PS3 version playable? Don't really care about relatively graphical fidelity, I'm just more worried about framerate dips, pop-ins, loading times, and other wonky stuff

Sorry if these questions have been asked a bajillion times, I just don't want to wander through the thread and possibly stumble upon spoilers.

I have the PS3 version and to me it is playable. No massive framerate drops and I didn't notice that much pop-ins except for the textures but usually only after loading area in or skipping cutscene so. Load times are decent imo. The only thing worth noting is that when I started the game it kind froze briefly couple of times in chapter 2 but everytime after the first playthrough there hasn't been such issues so could have been my PS3 and not the game.

I guess the average is about 15hours but mostly never under that atleast what have been posted on this thread so 15-20hours is good approximation.

Chabbles

So Chapter 15,
i've tried to get past the "blood bath" battle afew times now. Entering the fight i have 7 pistol rounds and an explosive bolt and 3 rounds for the sniper.. Each time i've tried, by the wave where the chainsaw dude shows up, i have no ammo left and have used up all the stuff around the map.. i cant get near the chain saw guy since he's does a one hit kill,.. is this part possible with zero ammo for anything/does the ammo respawn eventually ?

Nvm, its done.

Survival, 16 hours 13 minutes, 71 deaths. fuck this game.. before my mind is made up on this one i need another playthrough.. but i went from loving it, then chapter 10 came along and i couldn't get the same enjoyment back after that. A game can be hard, without being so cheap about it.. i think the combination of the wonky aiming and one hit kills, plus the lack of auto saving at certain times, turned some of the best parts of this game into a chore.. end of the day imo the game does more things right that wrong though, but it could of been so much more enjoyable with some quick saves at key moments, or making the one hit kills only do like 90% damage.

So Chapter 15,
i've tried to get past the "blood bath" battle afew times now. Entering the fight i have 7 pistol rounds and an explosive bolt and 3 rounds for the sniper.. Each time i've tried, by the wave where the chainsaw dude shows up, i have no ammo left and have used up all the stuff around the map.. i cant get near the chain saw guy since he's does a one hit kill,.. is this part possible with zero ammo for anything/does the ammo respawn eventually ?

Nvm, its done.

Survival, 16 hours 13 minutes, 71 deaths. fuck this game.. before my mind is made up on this one i need another playthrough.. but i went from loving it, then chapter 10 came along and i couldn't get the same enjoyment back after that. A game can be hard, without being so cheap about it.. i think the combination of the wonky aiming and one hit kills, plus the lack of auto saving at certain times, turned some of the best parts of this game into a chore.. end of the day imo the game does more things right that wrong though, but it could of been so much more enjoyable with some quick saves at key moments, or making the one hit kills only do like 90% damage.

where are these spots where you want checkpoints? there's checkpoints at basically every single encounter.

Chabbles

where are these spots where you want checkpoints? there's checkpoints at basically every single encounter.

2 or 3 spots in chapter 10 where a quick save would of been nice(mid encounter), thats pretty much it.. i think it could of made the overall experience alot better, chapter 10 was a bump in the road for many.. the level itself was amazing though, maybe my favorite (in terms of everything but the one hit kills)

Bebpo

Banned
I think the most vicious part of the game is probably ch.10
the part with the traps + enemies -> hit a switch to open the main room door and then all the grinder spikes start, enemies pop out, big stabby guy pops out, lots more traps, enemies.

Traps + enemies can be a nasty combination if enemies pop out and you don't have time to go around disabling the traps first. Gotta move to avoid enemies but gotta watch out for traps.

I don't think it's bad, as it's intense which is fun, but it's definitely vicious.

Foggy

Just started chapter 13 and I'm still loving this game. Reading through the thread, it honestly amazes me how much hatred people have for some of these later levels.

Top Bottom