• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

myco666

Just completed my NG+ run and I'm still missing quite many keys. I think I found most statues, any hints where I could look for more keys or should I just be even more observant of my surroundings and find more statues?
I don't want to look up just some guide and ruin the fun of finding them myself.

Just be more observant since some of those are hidden in ridiculous places. You could check the description in this video to check how many keys are in every chapter so that you know little bit better where to look them.

Just be more observant since some of those are hidden in ridiculous places. You could check the description in this video to check how many keys are in every chapter so that you know little bit better where to look them.
I guess I've to search more thoroughly then. Knowing the amount of keys in each chapter should be pretty useful. Thanks!

Feels refreshing playing a game thats actually a challenge. These games are so few and far between. Its so satisfying beating a section within an inch of your life. I barley get those feels these days. TEW is not an easy game by any means.

I enjoyed the game, but it's definitely very uneven, especially compared to Resident Evil 4. Still, I'd love to see a more polished sequel built on an engine that isn't id Tech 5.

Just finished the game last night. It took me 19:00:33 and 138 deaths. Holy shit.

Looking forward to a playthrough on hard mode or whatever is called. The only chapter I can say I definetely didn't enjoy was 11, felt like a drag and it reminded me of the industrial section in RE4 which I also didn't enjoy (it's not the reason why I didn't enjoy it though)

And I feel we will definitely get a sequel
That ending doe

Yea, I'm crossing my fingers as well, how come we don't have any sales data by now?
Usually we have a rough idea about a game's success after a couple of weeks, have a feeling it did horribly :(

I'd be fine if they stopped after the first game.

I want Shinji to go back to making an actual Japanese survival horror than a Bethesda/EA/Western mehfest. As much as I liked Shadows of The Damned, it suffered the same problems as The Evil Within.
The story doesn't warrant a sequel but I bet Bethesda are pushing for milking this series; that is, if they don't finish the story within the upcoming DLC.

Ill try and get a video of those chapters uploaded :D

awesome, thanks

Yea, I'm crossing my fingers as well, how come we don't have any sales data by now?
Usually we have a rough idea about a game's success after a couple of weeks, have a feeling it did horribly :(

i hope not, seems like they spent a lot of money on marketing. i see the commercials everywhere

also, put me on team sequel. getting rid of what didn't work, iron out technical issues...more focus on story payoff. yes, please

I think the game did very decently, and I hope we'll get a sequel. Currently at the beginning of the chapter 14, enjoying the game a lot, and I'll probably jump directly to Akumu to get the trophy when I finished it. About the stealth kills of the false Ruviks at least in normal is fairly easy to do it.

Speaking of a possible sequel, wasn't there something about TEW being the last game directed by Mikami and him taking more the role of a producer from now on or do I remember incorrectly?

Speaking of a possible sequel, wasn't there something about TEW being the last game directed by Mikami and him taking more the role of a producer from now on or do I remember incorrectly?

He said that probably isn't the case anymore as he doesn't really have to do overhead management while working for Bethesda (and his bosses at Bethesda apparently were not pleased that he said he was going to stop directing games).

But Mitochondrion said he didn't download the Season Pass and yet he still has the problem.

jayzshrug.jpg
you got me then, who knows why it happens

Ahasverus

I played the first chapter on 360 an it was fantastic. I've wanted to play a game like these for years, it's like Silent Hill with a touch of RE4. Can't wait to keep going.

I've been wondering about the sales too.

If not a direct sequel then a spiritual one would do fine as well, just port over the mechanics like stealth, matches, and crossbows, it would be a shame if they didn't continue it. He could take a backseat to let some of the new blood take a shot at it.

Randam

tried starting the steam demo.

something with the resolution ist off. everything is way to big. can only see half of the logos in the beginning. same at the start menu.
can start a game, but still everything way to big.

and if I try to skip the logo stuff, it crashes.

Riposte

I don't think this game is all that uneven and I still like RE6 more (which is uneven). While not great either, Chapter 11 and 12 didn't seem that bad at the time. 12 in particular was really short and the on-rails part was fairly painless. The worst thing about 11 is that it felt really slow at times. Actually, I was starting to get a bit tired of the standard "Haunted" by the last third of the game (dug the wave room in the final chapter though). The enemy variety wasn't great outside of boss characters.

Btw, while messing around on chapter 3, I learned you can free the boss immediately (using a grenade throw in my case).

Kuraudo

Banned
I picked this up earlier and am having a blast. I was very nearly put off buying it because of the talk a couple of pages back about the difficulty - especially the boss fight in Chapter 3. Really surprised people had trouble with him. It might be because I'd been led to believe it was going to be a tough battle, but I made sure I was well-prepared beforehand and he went down really easy - couldn't believe it when the trophy popped up so early.

I'm on Chapter 5 right now. Chapter 3 is definitely my favourite so far - just loved messing around in the little village. First half of Chapter 4 was great too. Really love the combat in this - all the guns feel very nice to use. Only real complaint is that the game has been jumping around quite a bit so far - miss the sense of progression of reaching areas that were once visible in the distance, like the castle and island in RE4.

Neff

I love the shit out of this game, but yeah, RE6 is better.

I am now also 100% convinced that Mikami played RE6.

Yuterald

I think both RE6 and Evil Within are pretty dumb, but at least in TEW you're not rolling around outside in the leaves like an idiot. Instead, you're getting chainsawed through walls and dropping matches on fallen enemies that refuse to ignite. ;)

Nemmy

I love the shit out of this game, but yeah, RE6 is better.

I am now also 100% convinced that Mikami played RE6.

Just curious, what makes you think so?

RE6 seems like a polar opposite of TEW in many aspects to me. I felt TEW nailed pacing, it had the same thing as RE4 where I just can't quit it and keep telling myself "just one more checkpoint, ok just this one room, ok I'll just get to a save spot and that's it" - I didn't feel it overstayed its welcome at all. It also has this slow, deliberate combat that severely underpowers the player in relation to his enemies and forces careful resource management, while RE6 does the opposite, makes you play a total badass, takes forever to beat and has pacing all over the place unfortunately.
I like RE6 but I find TEW an overall superior game, even though both could have used some polish. But at least TEW isn't as bloated.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Leslie is the real villain in the game. Every time he shows up on screen I want to turn the game off.
It's strange because I honestly didn't have a problem with those levels. The only part that annoyed the hell out of me was that sequence in the kitchen. But a lot of people are talking about those 2 chapters. I get why but from my personal experience playing it, those chapters went unnoticed.

60FPS and without the black bars. Damn. Looks so much better.

Bethesda.

I agree with that.

My favorite part of the game was actually chapter 9, which I think most people dislike (or say they dislike). I actually thought the whole game was going to take place in a mansion/estate/hospital setting. I didn't realize there was going to be so much variety.

Montresor

I just redeemed my Fighting Chance pack after reaching Ch.5.

I have the double-barrelled shotgun but I had already upgraded my normal shotgun. It says the Fighting Chance's shotgun does 50% more damage but cannot be upgraded. Should I cut my losses and continue with the DLC shotgun or will it be wise to continue to upgrade my original shotgun (since it may eventually outclass the DLC weapon)?

jackdoe

Just beat the game. The final boss in this game is a joke.
Seriously, a run sequence, turret sequence, and your Leon style RPG sequence. Where was the actual boss fight? Why did I save all that magnum ammo for?

Liked the second video, shows off well how you play carefully and aim your shots and conserve ammo when you can. The 60fps and full frame looks great too!

Yeah, first video I was playing like a complete fuckup :lol: At the time the video was recorded i had died to the boss about 7 or 8 times, hence just saying "fuck it" and whipping out the RL :D

Finished the game just now.

The ending
left in cliffhanger and doesn't really explain anything.
But the game overall was 10x better than RE6.

-MD-

So smooth! A really shame they could not optimize it more. Hopefully the the next gen of GPU's can brute force it to a consistent 60 fps.

I mean the games been out for 3 weeks, I doubt they're completely done updating it. Especially with 3 more DLC packs in the pipeline.

I just finished Chapter 3 in my Akumu run. This is the real highlight for the game. The cons of some of the gameplay mechanics really show here. At least the fun factor in every encounter is high and extremely rewarding.

I wish I would have known about that Crow's secret. That would have really helped.

DryvBy

Is there a way to
dodge the demon dog's charge when he's hiding in the bushes? Or some way to beat the snot out of him without agony ammo? Thing killed me so much I just started punching it until the game crashed.

Sanctuary

I just finished Chapter 3 in my Akumu run. This is the real highlight for the game. The cons of some of the gameplay mechanics really show here. At least the fun factor in every encounter is high and extremely rewarding.

I wish I would have known about that Crow's secret. That would have really helped.

But then it wouldn't be Akumu. It would be slightly-less-challenging-Akumu.

Is there a way to
dodge the demon dog's charge when he's hiding in the bushes? Or some way to beat the snot out of him without agony ammo? Thing killed me so much I just started punching it until the game crashed.

Just follow him in. He will just kind of stand there for a bit, shocked that you decided to watch him doing his business.

is akumu literally 1 hit death in every situation? i could think of a dozen scenarios where it seems like it's impossible to avoid getting hit

Sanctuary

is akumu literally 1 hit death in every situation? i could think of a dozen scenarios where it seems like it's impossible to avoid getting hit

Yes, and it's not impossible since many have finished it. It is however really fucking dumb at times, especially when they go crazy with the hard to see bear traps.

Top Bottom