• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Just started chapter 13 and I'm still loving this game. Reading through the thread, it honestly amazes me how much hatred people have for some of these later levels.

yeah, the big issue seems to be with chapters 10-15.most of the game has this great atmosphere, but some of the later chapters abandoned this unfortunately. 11, 12, 14, and 15 really. i loved chapter 10, really intense and fun, boss battles included. in fact, the
second battle with laura is probably the best boss battle in the game to me. really cool and inventive.
. chapter 11 was just okay, the loss of that atmosphere i referred to earlier is apparent here, it just doesn't feel right within the context of the prior levels. chapter 12 is really the big dud of the game to me. just didn't need to be there at all. the worse boss of the game and some weak action sequences. i can only imagine how frustrating it is on akumu. chapter 13 is great. returns to the tension filled, stealth/action of the earlier levels. you'll see with the later levels, but i enjoyed them. chapter 15 was a disappointment to me because the setting is really contrived and silly for the most part. it would have been nice if the game could have ended with as brilliant looking and feeling a level like 2, 3, 7, 9, etc

lazyninjalt

Neo Member
This is likely just me, but I wanted more choice in weapons. I know this is suppose to be survivor horror, but a second weapon for each archetype would have been great. The crossbow is soooo OP and an extremely gratifying tool of destruction. Did anyone else upgrade the standard bolts fully? At level 5 they are an instakill for all regular enemies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is likely just me, but I wanted more choice in weapons. I know this is suppose to be survivor horror, but a second weapon for each archetype would have been great. The crossbow is soooo OP and an extremely gratifying tool of destruction. Did anyone else upgrade the standard bolts fully? At level 5 they are an instakill for all regular enemies.

There is a second weapon for each archetype (as in a second handgun, a second sniper, and a second shotgun). However, you need to do a side-quest in the game to get them.
Collect all the map fragments.

Someone found a secret on chapter 3 that activates a cutscene and gives 50-100k gel. I haven't seen this before.

http://www.twitch.tv/clockwork9/c/5450448

That's new to me too. I wonder what other secrets are in the game?

lazyninjalt

Neo Member
There is a second weapon for each archetype (as in a second handgun, a second sniper, and a second shotgun). However, you need to do a side-quest in the game to get them.
Collect all the map fragments.

That's new to me too. I wonder what other secrets are in the game?

Thanks, I did not know that. I guess I should collect the rest of those pieces then.

Can someone tell me why the heck on PlayStation 4, the game is referred as The Evil Within Season Pass? I did not even buy the Season Pass for this game. Even when my online friend play it, it is also referred as The Evil Within Season Pass too. Why?

I noticed some of my friend have the game on PlayStation 3 than PlayStation 4 and the game is correctly referred as The Evil Within than The Evil Within Season Pass.

Well I finished this a few days ago but I just wanted to let my impressions sink in a bit before I type out what I have to say.

First of all, this game does get more right than wrong but for me the last 1/4 of the game past Chapter 10 completely ruins the game for me, it goes from being more Survival Horror RE1-2 with a touch of RE4 and some serious Silent Hill vibes into RE5 territory.

My problem is that the game is balanced more towards the survival horror lean and the high action levels in this game are just a grueling exercise in torment and futility. When the item spread of the levels are designed more around old school Japanese horror games and you suddenly have to face down dozens of these Nemesis like enemies that come back if you don't blow them up or burn them, and it becomes a huge pain in the ass and just drains the experience of any fun.

My point is when this game is being more like old school survival horror and not fighting with itself over trying to be that but also be this thing too, and gets over its schizophrenia it is a fantastic and well done old school Japanese survival horror game with amazing art design and ambiance with some killer callbacks to those games of yore.

The first 10 chapters of the game are amazing, but the last 5 made sure I will never play this again.

Also, I was laughing when all of a sudden(HUGE ENDGAME SPOILER)
You are suddenly inside what I can only assume is a brain but it looks more like Azathoth from Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. A giant pile of eyeballs, light filled spheres, and madness.

Can someone tell me why the heck on PlayStation 4, the game is referred as The Evil Within Season Pass? I did not even buy the Season Pass for this game. Even when my online friend play it, it is also referred as The Evil Within Season Pass too. Why?

I noticed some of my friend have the game on PlayStation 3 than PlayStation 4 and the game is correctly referred as The Evil Within than The Evil Within Season Pass.

I noticed that from the first time I played it. I have no idea why it's like that. It's odd.

Well I finished this a few days ago but I just wanted to let my impressions sink in a bit before I type out what I have to say.

First of all, this game does get more right than wrong but for me the last 1/4 of the game past Chapter 10 completely ruins the game for me, it goes from being more Survival Horror RE1-2 with a touch of RE4 and some serious Silent Hill vibes into RE5 territory.

My problem is that the game is balanced more towards the survival horror lean and the high action levels in this game are just a grueling exercise in torment and futility. When the item spread of the levels are designed more around old school Japanese horror games and you suddenly have to face down dozens of these Nemesis like enemies that come back if you don't blow them up or burn them, and it becomes a huge pain in the ass and just drains the experience of any fun.

My point is when this game is being more like old school survival horror and not fighting with itself over trying to be that but also be this thing too, and gets over its schizophrenia it is a fantastic and well done old school Japanese survival horror game with amazing art design and ambiance with some killer callbacks to those games of yore.

The first 10 chapters of the game are amazing, but the last 5 made sure I will never play this again.

Also, I was laughing when all of a sudden(HUGE ENDGAME SPOILER)
You are suddenly inside what I can only assume is a brain but it looks more like Azathoth from Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. A giant pile of eyeballs, light filled spheres, and madness.

i think this is less gameplay related and more esthetic than anything right? kind of echoes what i was saying earlier. a lot of the great atmosphere is lost in chapters 11,12,15. i thought 13 and 14 stuck to something more in tune with what was seen earlier in the game though

I noticed that from the first time I played it. I have no idea why it's like that. It's odd.

is it the digital version? i have the disc version and that doesn't happen

Finished it the other day and I can't say i'm not disappointed. It had a satisfyingly creepy atmosphere, great art direction audio, and generally solid gameplay..but the little annoyances added up. I also wasn't a fan of some of the design choices, and I think it took a pretty big nosedive in quality around Chapter 11. Overall I still liked it and think it was worth a playthrough, but I won't be in a rush to do so again anytime soon.

So Chapter 15,
i've tried to get past the "blood bath" battle afew times now. Entering the fight i have 7 pistol rounds and an explosive bolt and 3 rounds for the sniper.. Each time i've tried, by the wave where the chainsaw dude shows up, i have no ammo left and have used up all the stuff around the map.. i cant get near the chain saw guy since he's does a one hit kill,.. is this part possible with zero ammo for anything/does the ammo respawn eventually ?

Nvm, its done.

Survival, 16 hours 13 minutes, 71 deaths. fuck this game.. before my mind is made up on this one i need another playthrough.. but i went from loving it, then chapter 10 came along and i couldn't get the same enjoyment back after that. A game can be hard, without being so cheap about it.. i think the combination of the wonky aiming and one hit kills, plus the lack of auto saving at certain times, turned some of the best parts of this game into a chore.. end of the day imo the game does more things right that wrong though, but it could of been so much more enjoyable with some quick saves at key moments, or making the one hit kills only do like 90% damage.
Haha. I had your exact same issue with that part! Took a while, but I got it after nearly quitting and sending it back to Gamefly without completing it.

Finished the speed run in one sitting right now, sub 4 hours.

I only have a no upgrade run left to do for the platinum. I'll leave that for a bit, maybe during winter break.

I'm still not sure if I hate myself enough to do it on Nightmare, or if I'll just cheese it on Casual.

Finished the speed run in one sitting right now, sub 4 hours.

I only have a no upgrade run left to do for the platinum. I'll leave that for a bit, maybe during winter break.

I'm still not sure if I hate myself enough to do it on Nightmare, or if I'll just cheese it on Casual.

any tips for this? as in, how much time to you spend running around looking for ammo vs. just running right through the whole thing? i assume you used a NG+ save so you were stacked from the jump?

Gurish

Finished the game, about 72 or 74 deaths on Survival, game was a blast, though i agree with people saying there is a drop in quality after chapter 10, chapter 11 was easily the worst in the game and a chore to play, chapter 12 wasn't much better but at least it was pretty short and not as annoying as 11, 13 was a big improvement over the previous 2 although I wouldn't say it was one of the best but at least it felt like it belongs to the game, chapter 14 was actually pretty great in my opinion for the most part, chapter 15 again was bad with just unimaginative
kill room after kill room and some annoying trial and error
but overall I really enjoyed this game

I can't relate to any complaint about any lack of checkpoints, it feels like people who say that played a different game, I felt that before every significant encounter/ set piece or trap sequence and immediately after it was completed there was a checkpoint , never felt checkpoints weren't fair and they were really plentiful in my experience.

People are just spoiled :)

Anyway the game should have finished a little earlier and I would remove chapters 11, 12 and 15, but it wouldn't prevent it from being my GOTY, I had so much fun for the most part, Combat feels so great and that's really the meat of the game, Mikami delivered for the most part.

I do wish there were more chapters like 3 or 9 that let you just explore an area rather than go through a path, could enjoy more puzzles as well, oh well, maybe in the sequel (Plz let it do well!), bought the season pass as well, hope it wouldn't take them too long.

any tips for this? as in, how much time to you spend running around looking for ammo vs. just running right through the whole thing? i assume you used a NG+ save so you were stacked from the jump?

NG+, everything fully upgraded, fully stocked on ammo.

I recommend using a save where you already beat either Nightmare of Akumu. This unlocks the brass knuckles. If you have fully upgraded melee, then you can kill normal haunted in one hit, sub-bosses in 3-5, and bosses in like 10 or so. Makes most encounters go by pretty fast.

You can also reload the latest auto save right before dying so it doesn't count your time. You should also generally skip all save rooms. They waste lots of time.

Five hours for the trophy is really generous. Just sprint everywhere, and if the game forces you to walk, keep the aim button held down and you'll walk faster.

Gurish

I have a couple of questions to anyone who've finished the game:

1) Is NG+ adds any challenge over the regular Survival mode or it's just me running through the game blasting everyone?

2) What is the difference between Nightmare and Survival? (never gonna attempt Akumu), is it much harder? any differences in checkpoints? Do i have enough ammo or i gotta avoid most enemies? any general tips about strategies and upgrades i should do would help as well.

3) Can I try to do a Nightmare playthrough and if it's too hard just start over and do my Survival NG+ or the new game deletes my NG+ save?

4) Anyone managed to sneak up and kill the
screaming enemy that spawns those big hands at you? every time i tried to sneak up on him he turned around the moment i was too close, is it possible? and i can't shoot him from afar only after he see me, how do you fight this guy without him screaming at you?

That's it for now, Thank you all :)

Help on chapter 11
How can I swim past that Del Lago creature. No matter how many times I try and swim past it I die
must have died 20x already on that part alone

Nightmare and Akumu are the exact same, only difference is that everything kills you in one hit on Akumu.

It's basically a remixed difficulty. Certain enemy types appear earlier in the story, as well in areas that they weren't in on Survivor/Casual. Most combat encounters also have more enemies.

Enemy AI is ramped up to 11. They will charge at you mercilessly, and their movements are much more erratic. Stealth isn't impossible by any means, but it's more difficult due to their increased awareness. Though you can use that a bit to your advantage is they can now hear thrown bottles from farther away.

There's also a larger amount of traps in the environment, and bombs are harder to dismantle.

I don't think enemy health values change. They drop in about the same amount of bullets. I only played Akumu, so I'm not sue if they deal more damage on Nightmare compared to Survival.

Supplies I think are generally the same. I don't think the game limits the drops or anything. But you'll generally have less by virtue of using more ammo to take out the increased number of enemies.

Your old save should still be there as long as you don't overwrite it.

Gurish

Help on chapter 11
How can I swim past that Del Lago creature. No matter how many times I try and swim past it I die
must have died 20x already on that part alone

There are
bodies that are hanged with a rope there, you need to shoot them so they will drop into the water and distract it

Gurish

Nightmare and Akumu are the exact same, only difference is that everything kills you in one hit on Akumu.

It's basically a remixed difficulty. Certain enemy types appear earlier in the story, as well in areas that they weren't in on Survivor/Casual. Most combat encounters also have more enemies.

Enemy AI is ramped up to 11. They will charge at you mercilessly, and their movements are much more erratic. Stealth isn't impossible by any means, but it's more difficult due to their increased awareness. Though you can use that a bit to your advantage is they can now hear thrown bottles from farther away.

There's also a larger amount of traps in the environment, and bombs are harder to dismantle.

I don't think enemy health values change. They drop in about the same amount of bullets. I only played Akumu, so I'm not sue if they deal more damage on Nightmare compared to Survival.

Supplies I think are generally the same. I don't think the game limits the drops or anything. But you'll generally have less by virtue of using more ammo to take out the increased number of enemies.

Your old save should still be there as long as you don't overwrite it.

Thank you very much, I don't know if i should start it, might not have the skill :{
Sounds really brutal.

And are there any differences in difficulty for NG+ compared to regular playthrough?

Thank you very much, I don't know if i should start it, might not have the skill :{
Sounds really brutal.

And are there any differences in difficulty for NG+ compared to regular playthrough?

NG+ is the exact same thing, but you keep everything you unlocked or upgraded. I don't like it much, makes things easy to the point of boredom.

If you can beat Survival without too many issues, I honestly don't think Nightmare will be a problem. It's harder, but not impossibly so.

Gurish

I just finished Chapters 11 and 12. Man that stunk up the joint.

Well they are probably the worst in the game so you can take comfort in that, although chapter 15 still awaits :/
Nightmare is really fun and actually has a couple challenging sections.

Oh I'm sure it's challenging, but I've died about 74 times on Survival, so what do you think will happen to me on Nightmare?
NG+ is the exact same thing, but you keep everything you unlocked or upgraded. I don't like it much, makes things easy to the point of boredom.

If you can beat Survival without too many issues, I honestly don't think Nightmare will be a problem. It's harder, but not impossibly so.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
And about my
Screaming enemies that spawn giant hands question- can you sneak up to them? they don't seem to take any damage until they notice you and when i try to sneak up to them for a stealth kill they always turn around, must be an easier way to kill them

Also I forgot to post my clear time, I finished this in about 17:48:48.

I did a lot of exploring and walking through the levels as well as stealth but it is a fairly lengthy game.

Ch11
That horde with Ruvick and his twin that 1 hit kills you. I have like no ammo to kill them. Am I fucked?

Oh well. Probably take a break and play some Bayonetta 2. That Ch 10 boss took a lot outta me since I was being cheap with my supplies

Ch11
That horde with Ruvick and his twin that 1 hit kills you. I have like no ammo to kill them. Am I fucked?

Oh well. Probably take a break and play some Bayonetta 2. That Ch 10 boss took a lot outta me since I was being cheap with my supplies

One shock arrow is all you need to take him out and then some. You could light them on fire when shocked and take out a couple haunted at once. I also think there are supplies scattered in that area.

Well they are probably the worst in the game so you can take comfort in that, although chapter 15 still awaits :/

Oh I'm sure it's challenging, but I've died about 74 times on Survival, so what do you think will happen to me on Nightmare?

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
And about my
Screaming enemies that spawn giant hands question- can you sneak up to them? they don't seem to take any damage until they notice you and when i try to sneak up to them for a stealth kill they always turn around, must be an easier way to kill them
You can, just start mashing the sneak kill button when getting closer to the enemy as the game will recognize it before displaying the button prompt.

I would highly recommend saving up your green gel from chapter 10 in one go to get the Lv 5 harpoon upgrade. It kills the fake Ruviks in oneshot making it better than risking a stealth kill. In general it's your go to bolt for boss damage as well, plus it's the cheapest to make.

Currently playing NG+ to clear trophies and pick up the remaining collectables. I find myself playing better and sloppier at the same time ^_^; Better because I'm familiar with the game and the enemies as well as having all the upgrades, worse because I'm relying too much on them lol.

Gurish

You can, just start mashing the sneak kill button when getting closer to the enemy as the game will recognize it before displaying the button prompt.

I'll try it, thanks.
I would highly recommend saving up your green gel from chapter 10 in one go to get the Lv 5 harpoon upgrade. It kills the fake Ruviks in oneshot making it better than risking a stealth kill. In general it's your go to bolt for boss damage as well, plus it's the cheapest to make.

Currently playing NG+ to clear trophies and pick up the remaining collectables. I find myself playing better and sloppier at the same time ^_^; Better because I'm familiar with the game and the enemies as well as having all the upgrades, worse because I'm relying too much on them lol.

But you can only damage him once he notice you anyway so you might just try to stealth kill him and save the ammo if you can.

Chabbles

I know this is off topic, but i got this warning twice from entering this thread, yesterday and again today. Anything to be worried about ?

Capture.png

Gurish

Is it? I've never manage to sneak up on him successfully so I didn't know he can only be damaged once he noticed me lol.

Well at least that's what happened to me when i tried to snipe him from afar, bullets just went through him and hit the environment behind him like he don't exist , maybe it was a bug? don't think so.

And yea, I've never manage to sneak up to this fucker either, he always turned behind him when i was too close, I'll try to spam the sneak kill button next time like someone suggested here but I'm gonna play it on Nightmare where they have increased awareness so i don't think I'll manage.

The moment you've all been waiting for. All death scenes video! :D

Damn at the Ogre one. Ripping his arms off then smashing his head!

Oooooh damn!
Some of these like [insert male partners name]name falling down where just silly and badly animated. Game is so janky and unpolished. (Bethesda)
My favorite Death Scene was Sebastian being torn apart by the screen tearing.

Still though, some good ones in there.

Am close to getting all the achievements though :)

Pooya

this game tried too hard but it never manages to be scary. not even a bit.

gameplay suffered a lot after chapter9, I'm pretty sure they made ch11 with a troll face on. First half was fairly good, really disappointing.

I think I 'enjoyed' RE6 more, uh. This game is very uneven, done with it now, don't think I'll ever touch it again. even story feels unfinished, it probably needed another 6 months in the oven.

I just finished Chapters 11 and 12. Man that stunk up the joint.

It's strange because I honestly didn't have a problem with those levels. The only part that annoyed the hell out of me was that sequence in the kitchen. But a lot of people are talking about those 2 chapters. I get why but from my personal experience playing it, those chapters went unnoticed.

For anyone interested, I made a couple of 60fps YT videos of TEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HVU1vA9rI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmhGAUeB5ZU

(if you didn't already know, 60fps only works in Chrome AFAIK)

60FPS and without the black bars. Damn. Looks so much better.

Bethesda.

I think I 'enjoyed' RE6 more, uh. This game is very uneven, done with it now, don't think I'll ever touch it again. even story feels unfinished, it probably needed another 6 months in the oven.

I agree with that.

Just completed my NG+ run and I'm still missing quite many keys. I think I found most statues, any hints where I could look for more keys or should I just be even more observant of my surroundings and find more statues?
I don't want to look up just some guide and ruin the fun of finding them myself.

Gurish

I don't get anyone comparing this to RE6, the worst parts of this game felt like RE6 to me, pure trash, it was great when it felt closer to survival horror, which was most of the time and that's why it's far superior.

Top Bottom