• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Neff

Is it just me or is Nightmare/Akumu an obscene afterthought in this game? Like, the mechanics and balance disintegrate before your eyes in an ordeal of blind luck or near-inevitable failure. The game as it runs on the default difficulty is a thing of beauty, but so much of it becomes superfluous or outright useless once you turn up the heat. I think I need to forget that these extra settings exist.

Just curious, what makes you think so?

RE6 seems like a polar opposite of TEW in many aspects to me. I felt TEW nailed pacing, it had the same thing as RE4 where I just can't quit it and keep telling myself "just one more checkpoint, ok just this one room, ok I'll just get to a save spot and that's it" - I didn't feel it overstayed its welcome at all. It also has this slow, deliberate combat that severely underpowers the player in relation to his enemies and forces careful resource management, while RE6 does the opposite, makes you play a total badass, takes forever to beat and has pacing all over the place unfortunately.
I like RE6 but I find TEW an overall superior game, even though both could have used some polish. But at least TEW isn't as bloated.

I wouldn't compare the two either. They're fundamentally quite different.

But while TEW is much more in line with Mikami's work, RE4 particularly, than RE6, there's a strong sense of absurd, arcadey 'gaminess' in TEW that concurs with RE6, like RE6 gave him the confidence to put that sort of thing in a horror game. Some of the level design seems very RE6 at times, too.

I've often said that RE6 feels very Mikami-esque, much moreso than RE5 did, if not as focused. Capcom did use Vanquish as a template for RE6 after all, which is some irony.

-MD-

Is it just me or is Nightmare/Akumu an obscene afterthought in this game? Like, the mechanics and balance disintegrate before your eyes in an ordeal of blind luck or near-inevitable failure. The game as it runs on the default difficulty is a thing of beauty, but so much of the it becomes superfluous or outright useless once you turn up the heat. I think I need to forget that these extra settings exist.

Akumu sure but Nightmare? Nightmare should've been a default difficulty setting, it feels great and never unfair.

Sanctuary

Tried Nightmare yet? It's really good.

Unless you have someone to brag to about your achievements I won't really bother with Akumu.

Hmm...
I do agree though (said it before) that Nightmare is probably the best as far as balance goes overall.

Is it just me or is Nightmare/Akumu an obscene afterthought in this game? Like, the mechanics and balance disintegrate before your eyes in an ordeal of blind luck or near-inevitable failure. The game as it runs on the default difficulty is a thing of beauty, but so much of it becomes superfluous or outright useless once you turn up the heat. I think I need to forget that these extra settings exist.

It's partially just you. Akumu isn't actually any fun, and doesn't feel balanced at all, but after slogging through it, Nightmare feels like a vaccation. Both modes were for people who wanted more of a challenge though anyway, so they got what they asked for, and then some. Healing syringes and Flash bolts trivialize much of the game.

Neff

It's probably just you. Akumu isn't actually any fun, but after slogging through it, Nightmare feels like a vaccation. Healing syringes and Flash bolts trivialize much of the game.

Perhaps, but for one thing, I've found that the handgun has essentially become useless since the enemies move too fast to be able to hit anything reliably, at least in the major crowd scenes, and I'm pretty much dead in one hit anyway unless I pour gel into my health, since combos upon getting up are almost certain. Flash bolts also require upgrading, since the default bolt only allows me to stealth kill one enemy at a time.

It just feels like they didn't think things through very much unless you adhere to a very specific upgrade agenda, whereas the normal setting allows for all manner of experimentation. It's like the game becomes a fraction of what it initially was.

is akumu literally 1 hit death in every situation? i could think of a dozen scenarios where it seems like it's impossible to avoid getting hit

As a person that beat Akumu, I can tell you that there's a way to avoid getting hit by just about anything the game throws at you.

How easy it is to do so, well, that's another matter entirely.

sjay1994

I was able to pull this off while I was banned.

IMG_0430.png

Probably up there with one of the most frustrating things I have done in a game. First time a game has made me throw a controller.

Chapter 6 and 12 AKUMU can go die in a fire.

I wouldn't forgive this so easily, personally. The wild imbalance and overall haphazardness isn't gone on lower difficulties, it's just hidden. What becomes superfluous on higher difficulties? Healing items and health upgrades? What else? This isn't an action game that's up to RE4's standard, period. I know that's a very high bar, but it's one the game openly aspires to.

sjay1994

I wouldn't forgive this so easily, personally. The wild imbalance and overall haphazardness isn't gone on lower difficulties, it's just hidden. What becomes superfluous on higher difficulties? Healing items and health upgrades? What else? This isn't an action game that's up to RE4's standard, period. I know that's a very high bar, but it's one the game openly aspires to.

Not to mention the game is in permanent nostalgia wink mode. The more I played it, the more I wish I was playing RE4. Hell, I'd even play RE5.

TEW was filled with so many "who though this was a good idea" moments. I might be saying this because I did AKUMU... but fuck it. That mode exposed so many flaws with this game, because the littlest things that never bothered you in other difficulties suddenly become a huge fucking deal.

-MD-

That mode exposed so many flaws with this game, because the littlest things that never bothered you in other difficulties suddenly become a huge fucking deal.

That mode is in itself flawed, the game on every other difficulty is fine but its just not tailored to one-hit-kills.

It was thrown in purely for bragging rights, nothing was balanced around Akumu.

sjay1994

That mode is in itself flawed, the game on every other difficulty is fine but its just not tailored to one-hit-kills.

It was thrown in purely for bragging rights, nothing was balanced around Akumu.

I guess I can brag that I endured an endless stream of bullshit.....

Doesn't feel as great as I thought it would.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I'd like to hear more about what you perceive as unbalanced. I have some major issues with the lack of i-frames on certain animations, and I hate how you get locked into attack animations when an enemy comes up to you, but I'm not sure I felt anything else as really bad. But that could be because I have only played it once and I didn't super enjoy it the way I enjoyed RE4.

I could see the game completely disintegrating if you could die in one hit or whatever from a downed bad guy swiping at you.

sjay1994

I'd like to hear more about what you perceive as unbalanced. I have some major issues with the lack of i-frames on certain animations, and I hate how you get locked into attack animations when an enemy comes up to you, but I'm not sure I felt anything else as really bad. But that could be because I have only played it once and I didn't super enjoy it the way I enjoyed RE4.

I could see the game completely disintegrating if you could die in one hit or whatever from a downed bad guy swiping at you.

This happened to me so many times on Akumu, its not even funny. The shoot pistol at knee, then move into burn is completely pointless since a random swipe = death. Not to mention the match detection is shoddy, and sometimes the match won't even connect. The lack of i-frames is terrible. I miss the kneecap -> kick from RE4 and on.

Your melee attack is useless. I don't even know why its there.

Also your points about how every enemy takes priority over you is annoying. Although I think the worst aspect of it is how the pistols aiming works.

The gun has sway already, however I learned that even if the enemy is in your crosshair, there is still a chance the bullet will miss. This chance is removed when you upgrade accuracy.

Basically AKUMU mode ruins the game. Things that wouldn't be noticeable or annoying become big fucking deals in that mode.

In chapter 9
I got sent back to the maze where you are chased by the blood monster, because I accidently touched the burning wall in the barn

sjay1994

I died total of 32 times while playing on hard. Fuck akumu mode. You masochists who completely this mode must really hate yourselves.

You have no idea. Hell the so called bragging rights this mode is supposed to give don't even feel earned. There was no skill attached to it. Just patience and a test for how much bullshit you can take.

This games platinum is apparantly the rarest trophy I own, and it doesn't feel good or satisfactory to have.

Sanctuary

TEW was filled with so many "who though this was a good idea" moments. I might be saying this because I did AKUMU... but fuck it. That mode exposed so many flaws with this game, because the littlest things that never bothered you in other difficulties suddenly become a huge fucking deal.

A lot of those other things actually bothered me on Survival. Akumu just put a spotlight on them.

You have no idea. Hell the so called bragging rights this mode is supposed to give don't even feel earned. There was no skill attached to it. Just patience and a test for how much bullshit you can take.

This games platinum is apparantly the rarest trophy I own, and it doesn't feel good or satisfactory to have.

That about sums it up.

Teknoman

You know, I still dont understand why modern games that have higher difficulty unlocks, dont allow you to use things you've found prior to. It really kills the whole purpose of new game +.

-MD-

You know, I still dont understand why modern games that have higher difficulty unlocks, dont allow you to use things you've found prior to. It really kills the whole purpose of new game +.

Being able to use unlocks on higher difficulty modes would trivialize the higher difficulty.

NG+ unlocks on the same or lower different makes the most sense.

antitrop

Being able to use unlocks on higher difficulty modes would trivialize the higher difficulty.

Eh, it works for Character Action games, it can work for Survival Horror games. The game just has to be designed around that kind of NG+.

I love carrying over progression into higher difficulties in Bayonetta/Devil May Cry, etc. I just don't see why it wouldn't be able to work for this kind of game, too.

Teknoman

Eh, it works for Character Action games, it can work for Survival Horror games. The game just has to be designed around that kind of NG+.

I love carrying over progression into higher difficulties in Bayonetta/Devil May Cry, etc. I just don't see why it wouldn't be able to work for this kind of game, too.

Didnt Resident Evil 4 and 5 let you carry things over into harder difficulties? The point should be that its much more difficult, requiring powered up items from the get.

Bebpo

Banned
A lot of those other things actually bothered me on Survival. Akumu just put a spotlight on them.

Yeah, actually after starting a 2nd playthrough and playing for a day, I've kind of lost interest in playing anymore. There's still a lot of stuff that bothers me even on a 2nd play knowing what to do and where to go. Think I'm done with the game until the DLCs.

Bebpo

Banned
LOL! I liked RE6 more than this as well (for the record).

I should probably get around to playing RE6. If I can enjoy (and still like) TEW despite all the numerous flaws and bullshit, theoretically I should be able to do the same with RE6.

-MD-

Just tried doing that 100k gel crow thing on chapter 3 and killed all 5 but didn't get any gel, people say it's on a timer and the crows will disappear if you aren't quick enough but I shot 'em all.

Oh well, I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Knocking away enemies, knocking out windows/obstacles,
brass knuckles
etc.

You really don't know? You really couldn't tell?

Melee is a last ditch effort to push the enemy back to give yourself some leg space.

Basically AKUMU mode ruins the game. Things that wouldn't be noticeable or annoying become big fucking deals in that mode.

You do know what the subtitle for that trophy says right?

"You asked for it."

That's what a lot of detractors said about the Souls series as well.

So my conclusion on this is that something is "skilled" and "fair" etc, unless the person isn't good at it.

So any info about the sales of the game. Apparently this sold more than Alien Isolation if the sales chart are anything to go by. Will be interested to see the next project of Shinji Mikami. Although I don't expect a sequel to this game and think they will conclude the story in DLCs.

-MD-

So any info about the sales of the game. Apparently this sold more than Alien Isolation if the sales chart are anything to go by. Will be interested to see the next project of Shinji Mikami. Although I don't expect a sequel to this game and think they will conclude the story in DLCs.

NPD usually drops around the 15th doesn't it? We should know next week.

Tango did an incredible job on their first game as a studio so I hope it did really well for them, can't wait to see what else they make sequel or not.

I just picked up my game along with a PS4 today. So have the "survival horror" and where it lines up compared to Resident Evil discussions and arguments already been exhausted?

Enjoy.

Replicant

This game feels 'cheap' at times in terms of how it always sprung things on you. Most of the time you'd die the first time around until you learn via trial and error how to overcome the situation. At times, this is fun and other times, unbearable. It is also ridiculous how the game always go "We're not gonna give you much resources but oh hey, here's a bunch of enemies to fight" or "Why don't you turn off these levers in long succession of levels while avoiding insanely fast enemy." It makes what otherwise could have been scary game into an annoying one. Because after you got scared once, you'll just get annoyed when you have to repeat things because you didn't succesfully completed all 3 rooms in one go.

EDIT: Everyone seems to have problem with screaming enemies but while I dreaded them due to my poor aiming, if you can nail them with fire bolt, they're gone in one hit (normal). Then you just keep your distance (they'll go after you all flaming if you're too close) and watch as they flail around while being burned to crisp.

On survival at least, I think the resource and enemy count is actually really fine. I didn't have too much trouble and had over 40 trap parts for a certain achievement in chapter 10, and easily hit again 40 3 chapters later
before I ran into the keeper in the meat freezer
, which as you guys know, having enough arrows is the best thing because of how versatile and strong the agony crossbow is. There are a lot of things I noticed can make you really efficient on your resources and honestly, running out of them on a first playthrough makes it sound like the player was too wasteful.

In all these survival horror games, there always seem to be a "panic button" that I try to find when I first play it. That can be like figuring out how to kick in RE4 or using a shotgun right before a chainsaw guy comes close to you in RE4, or maybe using the force gun or stasis in Dead Space if they get really close. The panic button that seemed to work really well in this game was the flash bolt. I actually think it's better than the flash grenade in the RE games because you can usually gib more than one if you upgraded it, though if you didn't touch it, it can be a problem if they are close together. The shock arrow is costlier but works the same except it allows you to match group.

Now I do agree that there are a lot of one hit kill situations that are really hard to figure out the first time, but I ended my first run with 18 deaths (though sometimes I had to load a previous game when I stopped because my game crashed on my laptop, so I don't know how many deaths I "lost", I don't think it's too many though tbh) but most battle situations, it's entirely on the player to figure it out and it's usually their fault for dying. I know people do have FOV and controller problems, so I understand if you run into that but otherwise I feel most encounters are up to player skill. Of course, that goes out of the window for Akumu, which I need to find time to finish, but that honestly feels like it's meant to be bullshit and unbalanced and is a whole another can of worms.

Gurish

This game feels 'cheap' at times in terms of how it always sprung things on you. Most of the time you'd die the first time around until you learn via trial and error how to overcome the situation. At times, this is fun and other times, unbearable. It is also ridiculous how the game always go "We're not gonna give you much resources but oh hey, here's a bunch of enemies to fight" or "Why don't you turn off these levers in long succession of levels while avoiding insanely fast enemy." It makes what otherwise could have been scary game into an annoying one. Because after you got scared once, you'll just get annoyed when you have to repeat things because you didn't succesfully completed all 3 rooms in one go.

EDIT: Everyone seems to have problem with screaming enemies but while I dreaded them due to my poor aiming, if you can nail them with fire bolt, they're gone in one hit (normal). Then you just keep your distance (they'll go after you all flaming if you're too close) and watch as they flail around while being burned to crisp.
If you are talking about the default Survival difficulty I've never felt that, always had enough resources to overcome any obstacle, but never too much that i felt careless about it like in RE4, and i guess you talk about
The Keeper
, really don't get what's the problem here as well, use a freeze bolt or just kill him (he really don't take a lot of damage) and go to the valve, you have plenty of time.

Some of the complaints people have, jeez, it's really understandable why most games treats us like morons.

-MD-

If you are talking about the default Survival difficulty I've never felt that, always had enough resources to overcome any obstacle, but never too much that i felt careless about it like in RE4, and i guess you talk about
The Keeper
, really don't get what's the problem here as well, use a freeze bolt or just kill him (he really don't take a lot of damage) and go to the valve, you have plenty of time.

Some of the complaints people have, jeez, it's really understandable why most games treats us like morons.

This OT really opened my eyes with the general skill level of players these days.

Someone actually requested a mini-map at one point (in what possible way would that be useful?), saw a few more say they didn't understand the objective or where to go (it's a pretty linear game, keep moving forward), and then you get folks that say the game is unfair with how it doles out resources which is just not true, the game is generous with its resources, at times you will run low but if the player is ever completely dry then they're just being wasteful.

The other day 2 posters said they were quitting the game because the sadist on chapter 3 was too difficult. The most straightforward and easy encounter in the game, I just don't understand.

Replicant

The Keeper

LOL no. The Keeper was POS easy in comparison to things you have to do later on in the game. And if the Keeper is your barometer of what's difficult in this game, you're in for a big shock.

This OT really opened my eyes with the general skill level of players these days.

Someone actually requested a mini-map at one point (in what possible way would that be useful?), saw a few more say they didn't understand the objective or where to go (it's a pretty linear game, keep moving forward), and then you get folks that say the game is unfair with how it doles out resources which is just not true, the game is generous with its resources, at times you will run low but if the player is ever completely dry then they're just being wasteful.

The other day 2 posters said they were quitting the game because the sadist on chapter 3 was too difficult. The most straightforward and easy encounter in the game, I just don't understand.

I never understand arrogant comments like this. No one is going to be impressed by your awesomeness at this game. Not everyone has the hours to hone in their skills in games esp when they have full time job. Also, this game IS rather unfair with resources, especially later on in the game where there are streams of enemies. It was fine for ch.1-9 but after that, things go haywire and you have to scavenge traps to get resources, which is a nightmare when you have to do it mid boss battle.

It's not like I'm a newb either at horror game. If I want to brag, I can say I'm one of the few who managed to plat all 3 of Dead Space, some of the achievements involved playing the game without saving much if at all.

Is it really about skill or just patience though? I have the feeling that the majority of gamers want to move on as fast as possible to keep track of all the games being released. Therefore they don't invest enough time to figure everything out on their own, to manage their resources or to come up with combat strategies. It's sad nontheless.

I never understand arrogant comments like this. No one is going to be impressed by your awesomeness at this game. Not everyone has the hours to hone in their skills in games esp when they have full time job. Also, this game IS rather unfair with resources, especially later on in the game where there are streams of enemies. It was fine for ch.1-9 but after that, things go haywire and you have to scavenge traps to get resources, which is a nightmare when you have to do it mid boss battle.

It's not like I'm a newb either at horror game. If I want to brag, I can say I'm one of the few who managed to plat all 3 of Dead Space, some of the achievements involved playing the game without saving much if at all.

...But it doesn't take hours, well not the hours of honing that you're thinking of.

I played 1 chapter per night and got the hang of the game by the 4-5 chapter. Survival mode.

And I'm the newbs at horror games lol. I'm like the least hardcore gamer out there, zero Platinums.

Replicant

...But it doesn't take hours.

I played 1 chapter per night and got the hang of the game by the 4-5 chapter. And I'm like the least hardcore gamer out there, zero Platinums.

I wasn't being literal. I meant this game involved a lot and I meant it, a lot of trial and error, which as fun at first but got tiring around chapter 10 and forward when you have to clear 3 rooms unscathed or else. If you work from 9 to 5, go to gym from 6-7, then go home and finish dinner by 9, you have pretty much 2 hours to play before you have to sleep by 11 to wake up early. So yes, having to repeat things over and over again get frustrating after a while, esp when it was caused by small tiny mistake.

My normal clear time was 19:48:24. I don't think it's too bad but It did take a chunk of my weekend sleep to finish.

Gurish

LOL no. The Keeper was POS easy in comparison to things you have to do later on in the game. And if the Keeper is your barometer of what's difficult in this game, you're in for a big shock.
I'm not in for a big shock, I've already finished the game :|

Just tried to understand what you are talking about.

I wasn't being literal. I meant this game involved a lot and I meant it, a lot of trial and error, which as fun at first but got tiring around chapter 10 and forward when you have to clear 3 rooms unscathed or else. If you work from 9 to 5, go to gym from 6-7, and finish dinner by 9, you have pretty much 2 hours to play before you have to sleep by 11 to wake up early. So yes, having to repeat things over and over again get frustrating after a while, esp when it was caused by small tiny mistake.

Well yeah I'm in the same situation as well. University classes end at around 4-5 average, gotta get home, gotta get dinner etc. Set aside an hour and a half to play each night. Sleep at 11.

Mind you I'm no Newtype either,I do die on those sudden traps section or in a bad ambush, but the next time around you should be breezing through those encounters. It might be a little tougher on the bosses but that's why they're bosses. Plus the checkpoints are REALLY generous, with exceptions being those open areas.

That said, I'm about to tackle chap 10 again on NG+, and I'm not looking forward to fighting Laura again... I already got the trophy but those double green gels are so tempting >_<

Replicant

I'm not in for a big shock, I've already finished the game :|

Just tried to understand what you are talking about.

Laura round 2, Bloodbath, Keeper x 2 if you already used most of your resource on Bloodbath. Those are the choke points for me because you rely on auto save at that point and reloading normal save means redoing previous parts OR in the later 2, Bloodbath all over again.

You seriously don't understand or can't sympathise why others may have problems with this game? It's not an easy game by survival horror standard. It's great that you find it easy but there's no need to thumb your nose down at others who find it difficult or don't have enough time to deal with its trial and error mechanic. It's just not attractive at all.

Well yeah I'm in the same situation as well. University classes end at around 4-5 average, gotta get home, gotta get dinner etc. Set aside an hour and a half to play each night. Sleep at 11<

I get your point but being late for class or not attending lecture or attending lecture looking tired and sleepy is not the same as doing it when you're employed to work.

You lose your job if you do the same with work.

I get your point but being late for class or not attending lecture or attending lecture looking tired and sleepy is not the same as doing it when you're employed to work.

I understand that as well, but the point is I've put in the same amount of time as you did. I never played to the point where it's 2 am in the morning and I have to be up in 4 hour or something- it's always one chapter per night, roughly 90 minutes, stop at 10pm.

Is there a way to turn off the PS4's bright white light when the game is running? I've heard complaints about the controller, but since it's not shining in my eyes I can live with it. I wasn't expecting the console light not to dim, however.

Agreed. Im by no means an elite gamer but at first all the insta kills put me off and i was ready to quit, until i thought "Wait a minute, maybe im just being a gigantic pussy and i should try and elarn how the game plays before quitting". Its a survival horror game, and its tough, but in the same way that people championed Demons Souls & Dark Souls because of their non-casual pandering, i think TEW deserves equal praise. It doesnt hand-hold you, its tough, but with patience, youll get better at it and overcome. I never ran out of supplies ever, on survival difficulty. Dont go wasting ammo like its a game of CoD and youll be fine.

Gurish

I've finished the game with 2 med packs, 2 syringes, about 30 parts, 6 magnum bullets, 8 shotguns shells... you get the deal, no problem with resources and most of the time i chose not to disarm the explosive traps, never had to disarm a trap mid boss fight for parts either, the game is VERY fair with resources on Survival difficulty.

Laura round 2, Bloodbath, Keeper x 2 if you already used most of your resource on Bloodbath. Those are the choke points for me because you rely on auto save at that point and reloading normal save means redoing previous parts OR in the later 2, Bloodbath all over again.

You seriously don't understand or can't sympathise why others may have problems with this game? It's not an easy game by survival horror standard. It's great that you find it easy but there's no need to thumb your nose down at others who find it difficult or don't have enough time to deal with its trial and error mechanic. It's just not attractive at all.

Didn't like
Laura part 2
either, thought that was a badly designed encounter, still you had a save point in the middle of the fight, and i think it's the only encounter that i can say that was a little cheap or badly designed, she wasn't too hard to maneuver, but it was annoying looking for those switches while you dodge her, yea.

Didn't find much trouble at any encounter with
The Keeper
, he is pretty slow and doesn't take too much damage.
I played the entire game with a mind set that I need to save bullets and parts for the latter parts of the game, always tried to be as resourceful as i can, I came to bloodbath with plenty of ammo and indeed it took a lot of resources but even after those encounters i still had plenty left, especially when in the area itself they give you more resources.

I didn't find the game easy, I died about 70+ times, I found it challenging but mostly fair, plenty of checkpoints before any major encounter or trap sequence and right after you beat it, mostly at long encounters you got checkpoints right in the middle of the fight as well.

So, yes there are some trial and errors sequences (and there is nothing wrong with trial and error sometimes, there are games that based entirely on them like Limbo) but it's not punishing, the game was very fair throughout.

I've finished the game with 2 med packs, 2 syringes, about 30 parts, 6 magnum bullets, 8 shotguns shells... you get the deal, no problem with resources and most of the time i chose not to disarm the explosive traps, never had to disarm a trap mid boss fight for parts either, the game is VERY fair with resources on Survival difficulty.

I second this. I didn't even use the med packs, only a handful of syringes and had always enough ammo for every encounter. My trap parts went never below 40 and were mostly in the 70-90 range. I always tried to spend as little as possible though, which took a lot of effort and patience.

Top Bottom