• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

slop101

Banned
...couldn't people who found the game too hard on survival just drop the difficulty to casual? That's what it's there for after all.
It's just as bad and unpredictable on "casual".

The issue isn't difficulty - the game is fundamentally broken; controls; A.I., camera, gameplay, all of them broken.

First off, stealth kills don't always work. A zombie turns around as I am pressing x and the kill doesn't happen.
Second, the clunky movement makes it very very hard to disable trip wires. I'll get as close as possible and still no "press x to disable". Nudge the analog stick just a tiny bit more and you set off the trap. Dead.
Third, I was standing behind the wall of a building and the zombie saw me out the window.... I was not near the window and did not have my lantern on. Which means that the zombies can see through walls, making stealth impossible.
Fourth, hand to hand combat is very difficult but is your only option because you can't stealth, you can't stealth kill and you have no ammo. Would killing a zombie give you some ammo or matches if you manage it? So far for me, maybe 1 out of 5 times.
Also, I keep getting lost and turned around because all the environments looks the same, with nothing really distinguishing the 4 or 5 houses in chapter 2 apart.

I really wanted to like this game, I love survival horror. But already being this frustrated at chapters 1 and half of 2 out of 15 chapters? And now I hear of bosses down the line that one-hit kill you, which you need lots of ammo and luck to kill, with no ammo to be found? Fuck it, I'm trading this shit in. Maybe if they do some colossal update/patch to fix all this shit, I may come back. But right now, it's straight up broken!

For the record, I enjoyed Dark Souls....that was hard but could be figured out. This is too random...today the zombie will see you through a wall, next time the camera angle will make it impossible to see the bear trap or trip wire. Then when you have no ammo, 4 zombies will get up off the ground and attack because you didn't have matches to kill them. Why no matches? Because sneaking around looking for things instead of booking it to the next checkpoint results in death.

there is plenty of ammo in the game. i would suggest you keep playing.

however, i completely disagree with your statements about stealth. i was able to stealth kill nearly every last enemy in chapter 2 without problem, and disable all the traps for parts. i never once accidentally activated a trap. a zombie never once saw me through a wall, and i never once had a zombie deny me a stealth kill. the stealth is not broken at all, and works quite well in chapter 2,3,9,13, etc

survival is difficult from the standpoint that you'll die quite a bit in trying to accomplish your objective. especially if you want to conserve resources. but it never felt cheap. the traps especially, if you crouch walk through areas, you'll very very rarely hit a trap.

Gurish

there is plenty of ammo in the game. i would suggest you keep playing.

however, i completely disagree with your statements about stealth. i was able to stealth kill nearly every last enemy in chapter 2 without problem, and disable all the traps for parts. i never once accidentally activated a trap. a zombie never once saw me through a wall, and i never once had a zombie deny me a stealth kill. the stealth is not broken at all, and works quite well in chapter 2,3,9,13, etc

survival is difficult from the standpoint that you'll die quite a bit in trying to accomplish your objective. especially if you want to conserve resources. but it never felt cheap. the traps especially, if you crouch walk through areas, you'll very very rarely hit a trap.
You are absolutely right here but forget about it, seems he already made up his mind- game is broken! and that's it!
He is having trouble with chapters 1 and 2, do you really think it's a good idea for him to keep playing? best thing for him is to play another game, maybe a less broken one with a mini map and a big arrow that will tell him where to go so he could navigate in those big and complex environments ;)

slop101

Banned
best thing for him is to play another game, maybe a less broken one with a mini map and a big arrow that will tell him where to go so he could navigate in those big and complex environments ;)
No, it is broken, it's just that you are so awesome, that you kick ass in spite of the game's brokenness. I bow down to you and your superior gaming skills. You should be proud!

however, i completely disagree with your statements about stealth.
How can you disagree with MY experience with the game? Were you there, did you see me play? It wasn't a problem for you. Fine. It was to me and many others. That inconstancy sounds like broken design to me.

Chabbles

I think theres just enough ammo to comfortably get by on Survival, the one time i got stuck due to lack of ammo was chapter 15
bloodbath fight

This OT really opened my eyes with the general skill level of players these days.

Weird, it opened my eyes to the lengths people will go to defend highly flawed games to the death and brush off any criticisms as whining from casuals.

Game is niche to begin with, and some things are executed so poorly that it's perfectly acceptable that a person would find it more frustrating than fun.

Weird, it opened my eyes to the lengths people will go to defend highly flawed games to the death and brush off any criticisms as whining from casuals.

Game is niche to begin with, and some things are executed so poorly that it's perfectly acceptable that a person would find it more frustrating than fun.

I think there is a middle ground here. Yes it has flaws. But it is absolutely untrue when people accuse the game of silly things like not giving you the tool's to deal with the scenarios the game presents, or saying it's all trial and error.

I love this game and couldn't agree more. Just like The Wonderful 101, I wouldn't blame the average player for finding the game inaccessible. Not to mention, TWE is a technical mess to begin with.

Gurish

Is it normal for the game to have slow-loading textures? Specifically noticed it during the ambulance scene.
Yea it's a well known problem with Id-tech 5, the weird thing is that it happens in cut-scenes all the time but you can barely notice or it rarely happens during gameplay.

The game is far from ideal performence wise on consoles though, prepare for frame drops in some locations.

Risible

No, it is broken, it's just that you are so awesome, that you kick ass in spite of the game's brokenness. I bow down to you and your superior gaming skills. You should be proud!

How can you disagree with MY experience with the game? Were you there, did you see me play? It wasn't a problem for you. Fine. It was to me and many others. That inconstancy sounds like broken design to me.

Which is more likely - the game magically works for us or you might be doing something wrong? I havent experienced any of the stuff you mentioned. How could the game be so broken and yet we've experienced none of it? I suspect you are moving through the levels WAY too fast.

i disagree because i don't think it's broken. i think you're just not very good at the game. you said zombies see through walls, they don't. you said YOU have trouble disarming traps, that's on you. there isn't anything fundamentally flawed with the games stealth and/or ammo managment and/or traps and disarming them. hence, i disagree

Actually, you don't need to be awesome to beat the game.

Casual player here, zero Plats.

Actually it could be a bunch of other things unrelated to it, like well, whether you're actually do it right or not, but who knows?

Riposte

Or a "broken person". Perhaps the most common human trait is to attribute blame away from oneself. The implication that a good design is one that is received consistently is highly fallacious, because it's based on the idea that humans are all the same, that they have equal capability and desire. There's no "perfect" game, just like there is no perfect mountain climb or walk in the park. Even the games that would appeal to a "perfect" human would come off as distasteful to some or even many people (and vice versa, of course). The best you can do is argue your ideals are the highest and this eventually limits the appeal of the aggregation of opinions (ultimately meaning if anything you'd want people with bad taste (among other bad things) to consistently dislike the game you consider great).

Truthfully, what it comes down to is that frustration changes the way you see things (and all humans get frustrated and all humans have within them weakness when dealing with it). If you lack the introspection and patience to comprehend that effect (let alone overcome it), your view will be colored both by the resent felt towards the pain the game caused and the lack of understanding of the game that caused it. Those who hold more understanding are only being rational when they point out your shortcomings and consider it a shortsighted view. While this may be considered antagonistic, the more healthy interpretation would be to doubt and challenge yourself in face of indisputable evidence (their ability to play, their similar situation to yours), i.e., be antagonistic towards yourself.

As long the spirit of resentment hangs over a discussion, it will always be poisoned and derailed (e.g., increasingly dishonest). Even if it can be difficult and aggressive, it is of utmost importance that enthusiasts seek and box it out whenever possible (including within themselves).

EDIT: I think Agony Bolts (mainly when upgraded) give you A LOT of room for error concerning ammo conservation. The only time I felt really low on ammo was after purely optional boss encounters.

I beat the game a couple days ago and generally liked it up until I got to the
eyeball area with a shit ton of enemies. I ran out of resources on the second wave and what was around was not enough to beat the chainsaw guy. I tried the entire chapter again 5 or 6 times and still never had enough ammo. After you run out it never generates more and all you can do is run until he kills you. I eventually dropped the difficulty down to casual to get more ammo in the level but it really irked me to do so. I guess it's my fault for managing my stats and ammo so poorly but I feel like that was a shitty price to pay and it really left me with a poor impression of the game at the end.

Riposte

I beat the game a couple days ago and generally liked it up until I got to the
eyeball area with a shit ton of enemies. I ran out of resources on the second wave and what was around was not enough to beat the chainsaw guy. I tried the entire chapter again 5 or 6 times and still never had enough ammo. After you run out it never generates more and all you can do is run until he kills you. I eventually dropped the difficulty down to casual to get more ammo in the level but it really irked me to do so. I guess it's my fault for managing my stats and ammo so poorly but I feel like that was a shitty price to pay and it really left me with a poor impression of the game at the end.

What are you upgrades like? Is your Handgun crit/capacity up there?

Alright truth be told it's not like I don't get some of these complains, there's definitely a few things that could be tuned up in a hopeful sequel.

But what I disagree is somehow the game is unbeatable because of them. This is not the case. You have all the tools you need to do it within the 'rules' that the game has set, all that it requires is a little foresight in your planning- how to conserve and 'distribute' resources, and much environmental awareness and adaptability. Maybe it'll take a few tries to overcome an encounter, but it's completely doable.

And no, you don't have to be a Newtype to do it.

So what I am getting from this thread is that the older RE games were essentially poorly designed games because we tend to run out of ammo a lot in them?

Xpliskin

large-616-jack.jpg

Damn, Tango is hiring with a shovel atm.
The only thing I want to see, is how Kidman controls.

Bethesda, when do the receipts drop ? I want to know if we'll get a TEW 2.

Can't wait to read the Steam reviews for REMAKE.
"The game doesn't give me anough ammo to kill everything. -1/10, not recommended"
"No waypoints, they give you a huge ass map and that's it. What is this ? 1990 ?"
"They asked me if liked mountain climbing. 5/10, won't play again"

EDIT: pic and stuff

What are you upgrades like? Is your Handgun crit/capacity up there?

Handgun was almost maxed out but I did almost nothing with the bolts and that's what ultimately hurt me. It doesn't help in a poor shot in general but on a couple of tries I hit everything and still ran out. I thought ammo/bolt stuff would eventually pop up but I just kept running around the field for 5 min until I gave up.

-MD-

It's just as bad and unpredictable on "casual".

The issue isn't difficulty - the game is fundamentally broken; controls; A.I., camera, gameplay, all of them broken.

First off, stealth kills don't always work. A zombie turns around as I am pressing x and the kill doesn't happen.
Second, the clunky movement makes it very very hard to disable trip wires. I'll get as close as possible and still no "press x to disable". Nudge the analog stick just a tiny bit more and you set off the trap. Dead.
Third, I was standing behind the wall of a building and the zombie saw me out the window.... I was not near the window and did not have my lantern on. Which means that the zombies can see through walls, making stealth impossible.
Fourth, hand to hand combat is very difficult but is your only option because you can't stealth, you can't stealth kill and you have no ammo. Would killing a zombie give you some ammo or matches if you manage it? So far for me, maybe 1 out of 5 times.
Also, I keep getting lost and turned around because all the environments looks the same, with nothing really distinguishing the 4 or 5 houses in chapter 2 apart.

I love survival horror. But already being this frustrated at chapters 1 and half of 2 out of 15 chapters? And now I hear of bosses down the line that one-hit kill you, which you need lots of ammo and luck to kill, with no ammo to be found? Fuck it, I'm trading this shit in. Maybe if they do some colossal update/patch to fix all this shit, I may come back. But right now, it's straight up broken!

- Chapters 1-2 have little to no ammo, you might find half a dozen pistol rounds. Chapter 3 is when you find more weapons/ammo.

- Enemies are on timers, if you're on casual and an enemy turns around when you're about to do a stealth kill you were just too slow, the game has its problems in places but that's not one of them.

- Hand to hand combat is never your "only option". This sets off red flags though because I've seen a few walkthroughs on youtube where people run around kiting enemies and meleeing them a dozen times to kill them thinking that's how you're supposed to play the game when it's not.

- If you're on the other side of a wall standing like you said and you move around an enemy can/will hear you and come running.

And the trap thing, are you running up to them or aware that you can only disable them from 1 side? You should never be walking into traps if you crouch up to them to disarm.

I really wanted to like this game

A lot of this would be remedied by playing the game for more than 45 minutes tbh.

Also, this game IS rather unfair with resources.

Nope.

i336ZfEdOCRhz.gif

Neff

So what I am getting from this thread is that the older RE games were essentially poorly designed games because we tend to run out of ammo a lot in them?

I literally can't remember the last time I ran out of ammo for any weapon in a classic RE, since they require me to kill so few enemies, and I play them regularly.

It's quite possible to run out of ammo in modern RE and TEW though.

On Ch 14 and my only complaint in the dreaded Ch 11 was the fact that the game would throw hordes of enemies and give me no ammo. I literally had to use melee. Just super frustrating.

That said I did enjoy Ch 12&13.

Meia

The lack of ammo wasn't the problem this game had. The problem is that coupled with the monster gauntlet rooms they gave you at times(and with increasing frequency near the end) make the game feel like it's not sure what it's trying to go for. That the idea of stealth kills fly out the window late in the game kind of proves this too.

The game for the first half and then the second half feel completely different. I mean, I know I shouldn't be shocked by this since Resident Evil 4 had the same problem(people fondly remembering the early parts and conveniently forgetting when the enemies start packing firearms), but the game in the beginning was something special, and then kind of tapers off in the end and becomes an action game, something it shouldn't have tried to be. Not that it didn't do a good job of it, but that's not what was advertised, ya know?

-MD-

The lack of ammo wasn't the problem this game had. The problem is that coupled with the monster gauntlet rooms they gave you at times(and with increasing frequency near the end) make the game feel like it's not sure what it's trying to go for. That the idea of stealth kills fly out the window late in the game kind of proves this too.

The game for the first half and then the second half feel completely different. I mean, I know I shouldn't be shocked by this since Resident Evil 4 had the same problem(people fondly remembering the early parts and conveniently forgetting when the enemies start packing firearms), but the game in the beginning was something special, and then kind of tapers off in the end and becomes an action game, something it shouldn't have tried to be. Not that it didn't do a good job of it, but that's not what was advertised, ya know?

The game stumbled in the 3rd act for sure, I really hope if we get a sequel they hear those complaints. Stealth remained useful in later chapters though outside of chapter 15.

Others have said it, but I can't fucking wait until REmake "HD". The tears will be delicious.

People are gonna just end up cheesing the entire game with the new analog controls.

Riposte

Stealth would have gotten boring really fast if it was everywhere, especially it's clearly the best choice concerning ammo conservation. Splinter Cell this is not. At most, I would have liked it a little more sprinkled in and more cases of hiding from bosses.

I think stealth was pretty useful all the way until chapter 15 since obviously it's in an arena and chapter 11 since I think it's the weakest chapter imo and it was mostly open spaces. The early parts required more stealth since you were much weaker but in 13 and 14, it was very useful if you still stealthed.
On chapter 13 you can completely avoid fighting the keeper until you get to the meat freezer if you sneak around. Not only that but since the enemies have explosive bolts and Ruvik clones, it's much better not to be seen. On 14 you can sneak inside the subway station, since the enemies also had crossbows, it wasn't safe to go gung ho imo.
Though you didn't need to stealth if you were prepared but it helped save health and ammo if you wanted to play very careful.

edit: If you have problem with stealth, if you want to take out someone from long range, the harpoon is completely silent, even when lvl5 and on fire funny enough. I use this to kill fake Ruviks without getting noticed. At lower levels of the harpoon, you will need to land it on the head since it's not a sure kill on the body, but I actually think it's easier to aim with the laser than with the crosshair.

Mubbed

I wonder why they negated the ability to stealth kill the enemies in chapter 7 and 8 (it isn't even possible with flash bolts.). Chapter 7 has a large amount of environmental traps that can be used against the enemies and Chapter 8 has an achievement for not engaging in firearm combat so they must have thought this through to some extent.

I wonder why they negated the ability to stealth kill the enemies in chapter 7 and 8 (it isn't even possible with flash bolts.). Chapter 7 has a large amount of environmental traps that can be used against the enemies and Chapter 8 has an achievement for not engaging in firearm combat so they must have thought this through to some extent.

Yea those siamese twins can't be stealth killed. Though, they actually are slower than normal enemies, so I think it is easier to juke them, but they are harder to kill and have an instant kill when that tentacle is out. An unupgraded sniper seem to one shot them in the head (I think it was the one on your right), so they didn't seem like too much of a problem imo.

edit: I do find it hilarious that they run into electric traps by themselves. At least they did it for me.

So, I've only gotten a chance to play the demo and it's somewhat of a mixed bag for me so far, but if the game's lows aren't too bad and the highs are great I can easily see this being an 8/10 experience in the end.

Specs:
Stock cooled i5 2500k with no overclock
Stock Nvidia GTX 670 windforce with no overclock
1080p VW246H Asus monitor

The good impressions
In the graphics options I decided to stick with the black bars and everything maxed out with SMAA. With the exceptions of a couple of FPS drops (after reviving) the game held a perfectly steady 30FPS (even by water and definitely by fire which I circled around in search of FPS drops) and it looked fantastic when the lighting and environmental shadows were doing their thing. The Evil Within has got to be one of the most atmospheric games to date. It handles darkness and blacks much better than RE6 since the view 20, 30 and 40 feet away doesn't turn into inky blacks without detail. The textures are also amazing when they're actually fully loaded. Walking around in the sewer really gave me Resident Evil Remake vibes. The Evil Within's beatifully sculpted levels definitely come closest to REMake's prerendered backgrounds. The sewers in particular had me panning the camera as close to the wall as possible in search of imperfections and shoddy work, but I just couldn't find it. The enemy design is pretty nice and the sound design is AMAZING. I can't stress how delicious the sound design in this game is. If there is anything in this game on par with the environmental art it is definitely the sound design. I don't think I've played a better game in that regard. I was playing with my Beyerdynamic DT990s and every breath, footstep and growl did an excellent job of pinpointing enemy locations. If you are running into enemies all willy nilly you are doing something seriously wrong. Oh, and btw... don't run into enemies all willy nilly because scare ammo means you aren't winning that fight thanks to Sebastian's weakass melee skills. I found myself waiting minutes at a time in certain areas just so I can figure out multiple movement patterns before making my moves for stealth kills and not once was I frustrated or bored by it.

The bad impressions
The gameplay itself seemed solid on survivor mode, but I still can't help feeling like the game could use a roll button (that eats up stamina) for situations against groups of enemies or traps. The movement feels particularly dated in this day and age. I know it's silly, but it hurts this game more than REMake or RE4 (both of which I loved). If Demon's souls can have a roll that changes based on weight then I'm sure TEW2 can have it without making things too easy. The enemies themselves are pretty cool, but I lose them way too easily and it seems like they can't jump over fences. I let one find me out of curiosity and he just kept running towards the fence after pointing right at me. It was kinda embarrassing for the both of us because I didn't even need to hide under the bed or inside of a dresser to hide appropriately. Now, the graphics were usually beautiful in the outdoors areas and I saw almost no FPS drops, but the texture loading during cutscenes was downright tragic and extremely obvious (especially during the ambulance cutscene where textures were popping up everywhere). Another bad thing that kinda broke the immersion so painstakingly worked for was the clipping (I hope I'm using the right term). Sebastian kinda just walks right through his two detective partners and the grass/shrubbery which sometimes sways beautifully and other times lays more still than a rock, the latter being particularly disappointing when you've got all the beautiful foliage to look at in the chapter 2
forest level
. Environemtal shadows were excellent, but Sebastian's shadows were really blurry and full of pixels on the edges for some reason. The enemy encounters were tough, but fair when it came to the haunted for the most part, but chapter 3's
boss fight
did nothing at all to help me figure out whether or not I should go for the kill. I died twice attempting to
lure the boss towards the gate hoping that he'd cut the chains himself
since I had no clue he could be brought down and I didn't want to test my luck only to need a restart. This leads me to something the game really lacks. A couple of simple mutterings from Sebastian about burning bodies or killing a
chainsaw wielder for his weapon
not only adds to the immersion, but it also gives players a simple affirmation of what they've got to do next without dumbing down the gameplay for them or giving them garish yellow arrows for directions. I know this is probably going to sound silly to a lot of people here (especially those having a hard time with the game), but outside of the boss encounters I'm kinda underwhelmed with the difficulty. I'm not dying nearly as much as I expected (I might have died maybe 10 times between both demo playthroughs... which mostly came from experimentation on the first run) and the game could be a bit harder with enemies turning around randomly or something.

All in all I enjoyed what I played since I've gone through the demo twice, but I'm holding off for a sale since I want to play the game with flawless widescreen and I've got other things to take care of (i.e. buy). Daddy needs his rskipglare and fov options bad. Gamers are a fickle bunch and had the PC version's launch gone smoother I might have already plunked down money to jump into the unknown with everyone else. This demo in particular only made me more excited since I now see that my rig can handle the game (and it's FPS gobbling fire) really well. Maybe next time will be better and Bethesda won't put the fear of God into all owners of mid tier graphics cards and CPUs. Next time they better include a goddamn fov slider too.
large-616-jack.jpg

Damn, Tango is hiring with a shovel atm.
The only thing I want to see, is how Kidman controls.

Bethesda, when do the receipts drop ? I want to know if we'll get a TEW 2.

Can't wait to read the Steam reviews for REMAKE.
"The game doesn't give me anough ammo to kill everything. -1/10, not recommended"
"No waypoints, they give you a huge ass map and that's it. What is this ? 1990 ?"

EDIT: pic and stuff

I think we just stumbled upon REMake HD's OT title.

-MD-

but outside of the boss encounters I'm kinda underwhelmed with the difficulty. I'm not dying nearly as much as I expected (I might have died maybe 10 times between both demo playthroughs... which mostly came from experimentation on the first run) and the game could be a bit harder with enemies turning around randomly or something.

I think you'll remain underwhelmed with the difficulty on Survival, I didn't even experience my first death until chapter 5 and I ended up with about 47 total in the whole playthrough, only half a dozen or so to non-boss enemies. Nightmare is where it's at though, it's a nice step up but having the knowledge of clearing the game already makes it a bit easier, I think Nightmare should've been a default difficulty because it would've been super intense the first time through.

I can't really agree with the roll though, that'd really cheese the game imo. And enemies can climb over walls they just seem to get stuck on fences in chapter 2.

antitrop

So, I've only gotten a chance to play the demo and it's somewhat of a mixed bag for me so far, but if the game's lows aren't too bad and the highs are great I can easily see this being an 8/10 experience in the end.

That's exactly what I thought of it. It was a 9 to 9.5 for me from Chapter 1 to ~9, but 11, 12, and 15 really soured my overall opinion of the game to a solid 8. Still one of the better games I've played in the year, though, and I really valued my experience with it.

Also, I finished the game with a fucking arsenal. Maybe I just have a greater patience for restarting sections to complete them more efficiently, I did that a lot. I feel like I really mastered Survival difficulty, anyway. I feel like I could do it again with an arm tied behind my back. It probably took me like 30 hours to actually beat the game, because I restarted checkpoints so often. I ended at like 15 hours on the game clock and 37 deaths.

I have no inclination to replay the game on Nightmare any time soon, though.

-MD-

That's exactly what I thought of it. It was a 9 to 9.5 for me from Chapter 1 to ~9, but 11, 12, and 15 really soured my overall opinion of the game to a solid 8. Still one of the better games I've played in the year, though, and I really valued my experience with it.

Also, I finished the game with a fucking arsenal. Maybe I just have a greater patience for restarting sections to complete them more efficiently, I did that a lot. I feel like I really mastered Survival difficulty, anyway. I feel like I could do it again with an arm tied behind my back. It probably took me like 30 hours to actually beat the game, because I restarted checkpoints so much.

I don't know how to score this game. Outside of the chapters you named my heart says 9.5, I don't really feel comfortable dropping the score down though because it has 2 hours of bad mixed in with 14 hours of great.

Chapters 1-10 are fantastic (13/14 great too), if the game had kept that style until the very end I'd honestly give it a 10, flaws and all. Really hope they listen to that feedback for a sequel and ignore "the game is too hard" feedback.

Makes me nervous to think about.

The occasional jank in the mechanics is a way bigger for me than the late game chapters. I actually really liked those (on survival).

My mind says 8/10 but my heart says 9. Good thing I'm not a professional critic.

No matter how hard i try, i can't beat the fucking MONSTROSITY boss in the parking garage. Is there an easy way?

this boss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjiLozK6VKs

This boss is actually really interesting.
When you start the fight you are actually hiding from it, so you can shoot it's eye or even freeze it then pop bullets into it. It will fall down and you can do hide again (you can hide under cars or behind pillars and do it again). If you want to brute force it, use the side rooms, it will try to grab you in it, then back up and charge into the room, which you should run out before it charges and get some shots in. Once it gets to the second faze, you should use your freeze bolts so you can hit it in the weakpoint and give yourself some breathing room.

-MD-

The occasional jank in the mechanics is a way bigger for me than the late game chapters. I actually really liked those (on survival).

My mind says 8/10 but my heart says 9. Good thing I'm not a professional critic.

If I were a critic rating this for other people I'd probably say 8. The 5/10 Joystiq gave and 6/10 Sterling handed it are atrocious though imo, this game is not that.

antitrop

I don't know how to score this game. Outside of the chapters you named my heart says 9.5, I don't really feel comfortable dropping the score down though because it has 2 hours of bad mixed in with 14 hours of great.

Chapters 1-10 are fantastic (13/14 great too), if the game had kept that style until the very end I'd honestly give it a 10, flaws and all. Really hope they listen to that feedback for a sequel and ignore "the game is too hard" feedback.

Makes me nervous to think about.

The story falling flat on its face at the end and leaving a bunch of plot threads completely unanswered for the sake of being cryptically vague probably contributed as much to the drop in score as those 3 terrible chapters did.

Like, I wouldn't be so disappointed in the story if it didn't pretend to be about more than it really was. It alludes to so much and just leaves you with a fuckton of questions and a slack-jawed, wide-eyed expression of confusion and astonishment at the ending. I paid pretty damn close attention to the story too, which is why I was so let down that it really just goes absolutely fucking nowhere. It frustrates me to think about. They just set up too much.

There was some good narrative stuff in Chapter 9, though. That was where shit started to get interesting, but it never got better than that.

lol, this is good stuff. almost thought you were serious about scoring a game based on a demo at first.

If I were a critic rating this for other people I'd probably say 8. The 5/10 Joystiq gave and 6/10 Sterling handed it are atrocious though imo, this game is not that.

Yeah, 8/10 sounds fine.

I just really enjoyed the shit out of TEW. Very few non-Mikami games put players through the ringer like this. It's a unique experience - intense, maybe sometimes a little overly-so, but the satisfaction from overcoming it is simply unmatched. The grinder room fight in chapter 10 is the perfect example. It's pure gamey bullshit, has nothing to do with anything, yet it's one of the best fights in the game for its visual intensity and mechanics-driven challenges. So fucking memorable.

DukeBobby

At first I gave it a 9/10, then 8, before settling on 7.5.

I stopped playing before the score dropped any lower. I've yet to finish my second playthrough.

You guys have no idea how long I've been lurking in this thread, but I've held off on posting since I hadn't played the game.
I think you'll remain underwhelmed with the difficulty on Survival, I didn't even experience my first death until chapter 5 and I ended up with about 47 total in the whole playthrough, only half a dozen or so to non-boss enemies. Nightmare is where it's at though, it's a nice step up but having the knowledge of clearing the game already makes it a bit easier, I think Nightmare should've been a default difficulty because it would've been super intense the first time through.
I wish they'd given us the option of nightmare mode in the demo in that case. I don't mind survival being default, but the game isn't as tense as it could be.
I can't really agree with the roll though, that'd really cheese the game imo. And enemies can climb over walls they just seem to get stuck on fences in chapter 2.
This is so good to know. That particular part in chapter 2 could have used some more patrolling enemies too imo.

The main reason I want a roll is mostly due to traps exploding in my face which might have been easier to avoid with a roll, but I don't think it's really necessary and you are probably right about cheesing the game since survival mode and below aren't very hard at all. Nightmare mode might really have it's balance wrecked in that case. Sebastian could just be a tiny bit faster in his movement, is all. I also like to walk slowly with the lantern on too, but sometimes he shifts into that slow sort of job uncharted style (God, someone bring back RE's blatant normal walk and dedicated run button please) jog which I hate with a passion. If there were a sequel in the works I'd really like that movement option to be considered, though.
I've seen mentions of "hordes" of "groups" in chapter 11, but I've been purposely skimming so hard that everything else about the game ought to be new to me. Gonna try and keep it that way for now.
Also, I finished the game with a fucking arsenal. Maybe I just have a greater patience for restarting sections to complete them more efficiently, I did that a lot. I feel like I really mastered Survival difficulty, anyway. I feel like I could do it again with an arm tied behind my back. It probably took me like 30 hours to actually beat the game, because I restarted checkpoints so often.
This will probably be me since I like to wait patiently and I finished every Resident Evil (except 6 which I got bored of before finishing completely) with more ammo than I ever needed. All I know is that I plan to eat every single death since I want to see how many times the game can kill me. Everyone else has posted their death numbers and I'd like to do the same by the end.
I have no inclination to replay the game on Nightmare any time soon, though.
I definitely do. It's not the best, but my impression is that the overall package is very pretty and worth taking apart and inspecting. I'm probably not going to like the latter chapters like you too, though. It really bugs me when a game throws enemy waves at me in an attempt to push me out of a stage. It feels lazy somehow and I start wondering why they didn't just make it into a cutscene or something.
lol, this is good stuff. almost thought you were serious about scoring a game based on a demo at first.
Nah

This is a Mikami game. There are two things I'd never do for his games. The first is that I'd never believe any reviews rating his game less than 7/10 and I'd never seriously score his games based off a demo. Maybe it'd happen if I were a teenager again, but that acne plagued past is thankfully behind me.

hiex_

Banned
I started up Akumu mode yesterday. Holy hell, it's rough. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't even gotten passed chapter 2 after about 40 minutes of playing.

I've finished the game four times already, but this difficulty is just destroying me. It's good fun, but I think it'll take me a long time.

Top Bottom