• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I started up Akumu mode yesterday. Holy hell, it's rough. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't even gotten passed chapter 2 after about 40 minutes of playing.

I've finished the game four times already, but this difficulty is just destroying me. It's good fun, but I think it'll take me a long time.

Chapter 2 was very difficult for me. Watch out for traps.

3-5 aren't too bad. 6 is hell. 7-9 aren't too bad. 10-12 are pretty rough. 15 is super difficult.

hiex_

Banned

3-5 aren't too bad. 6 is hell. 7-9 aren't too bad. 10-12 are pretty rough. 15 is super difficult.

I've been trying to lure the haunted into traps as a way to conserve ammo, since sneaking is so hard.
The last bit I did though, was sneak up to that house with a key in it, with the bonfire out front. After I took him out about 6 or so haunted came spilling out the front haha. That ended quickly.

I agree with your chapter ratings except for ch15. I literally had more trouble running from the sadist in the first chapter.

As long as you have enough ammo, there's like no reason to die on that chapter. The arena fight has so much room that you have to be begging them to hit you. I only died twice there due to my own mistakes.

Chapter 6 akumu is a very enjoyable viewing experience.

fleb_spongebob_squidward-EPIC-frown.jpg

I was watching the thropies for TEW and noticed a trophy for completing the game Within the 5 hour mark. Wow, considering that it took me 19 hours to finish the game this trophy is going to be hard to crack if I do decide to do it.

Has anyone here gotten the trophy/achievement for this? How hard did you find it to be?

Montresor

I was watching the thropies for TEW and noticed a trophy for completing the game Within the 5 hour mark. Wow, considering that it took me 19 hours to finish the game this trophy is going to be hard to crack if I do decide to do it.

Has anyone here gotten the trophy/achievement for this? How hard did you find it to be?

I've already decided I'm going for 795/1000 max, lol. First, I am incredibly soft when it comes to both hard games (I gave up on Dark Souls after reaching the big Taurus boss in Lordran, can't remember his name) and scary games (Alan Wake scared me tons).

I'm only able to play this game for 30 minutes at a time before I have to put it away and play something more bright. Hell I use Darksiders sometimes as a palette cleanser after playing this game (though mostly I've been going to Sunset Overdrive for some truly colourful brightness to wash away the oppressive darkness in this game).

No matter, I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere in this game, and I am really impressed with what Shinji has done. I'm still early, but I know I won't go for these achievements:

Beat it on Nightmare
Beat it on Akumu
Beat it in under 5 hours
Beat it without upgrading anything

That should get me 795/1000 I think, beating it on Survivor, and then doing a mop up on Casual New game+

I've already decided I'm going for 795/1000 max, lol. First, I am incredibly soft when it comes to both hard games (I gave up on Dark Souls after reaching the big Taurus boss in Lordran, can't remember his name) and scary games (Alan Wake scared me tons).

I'm only able to play this game for 30 minutes at a time before I have to put it away and play something more bright. Hell I use Darksiders sometimes as a palette cleanser after playing this game (though mostly I've been going to Sunset Overdrive for some truly colourful brightness to wash away the oppressive darkness in this game).

No matter, I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere in this game, and I am really impressed with what Shinji has done. I'm still early, but I know I won't go for these achievements:

Beat it on Nightmare
Beat it on Akumu
Beat it in under 5 hours

That should get me 795/1000 I think, beating it on Survivor, and then doing a mop up on Casual New game+

Oh yeah, that achievement of completing the game without upgrading anything seems like a bitch considering the fucking boss at Chapter 10, although I guess it can be done playing it on casual.

Akumu is something I'll definetely try as well but I'm not too interested in getting that one (Again, just remembering the boss in Chapter 10 just makes it seems not worth it, lol)

hiex_

Banned

I did this the other day, got in around 3 and a half hours. It's definitely doable.

For the record, I've done 3 playthroughs of this game now, have every achievement except Akumu and I'm on chapter 5 of that, never had a problem with resources during any of my playthroughs, and I absolutely agree with those who say it's a broken mess. Because it is, at least on console.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
unequivocally loved this game. playing a new game+ run now and it's fun mopping the floor with enemies after i played survival and was tense as shit through every hallway. weapon design is super cool and the bosses are creative and memorable. the keeper and laura in terms of design are new horror game classics.

the proof is always in the pudding with me where these polarizing games are concerned, and in this case, i felt more drawn into it and urged to keep playing every second; this is more than i can say for several less polarizing games.

i see it as a major success and a triumph
for the developers. a few technical hitches can't undo the fact that the game is so freaking boss and at its core grabs you by the nards and makes you feel threatened, makes you think on your feet.

bring on Evil Within Within A Vengeance

I saw someone mention Chapter 11 being a resource hog. I agree.

I had zero issues on Survival regarding Ammo, heck always had plenty of trap parts for bolts. It wasn't until Chapter 11-12 that I started to run out of ammo for the regular weapons, forcing me to use the trap parts for bolts. Ofcourse, I managed to pass easily as I had plenty of trap parts saved by that time, but still, I had hoped to find more ammo in these chapters but the balance was just not there unlike the rest of the game.

P.S I avoided all the optional boss battles too, the Laura one in particular.

Jingo

Beat it on Nightmare
Beat it on Akumu
Beat it in under 5 hours

Jesus, besides the difficulty, i wish i had a lot of that free time in my hands .

Yeah, 8/10 sounds fine.

I just really enjoyed the shit out of TEW. Very few non-Mikami games put players through the ringer like this. It's a unique experience - intense, maybe sometimes a little overly-so, but the satisfaction from overcoming it is simply unmatched. The grinder room fight in chapter 10 is the perfect example. It's pure gamey bullshit, has nothing to do with anything, yet it's one of the best fights in the game for its visual intensity and mechanics-driven challenges. So fucking memorable.

dat music. my fucking heart was pumping, even when i had a full compliment of syringes and tons of parts and ammo

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just hit Chapter 9 and honestly, this game is starting to wear thin. It's like Mikami couldn't decide what he wanted to do with the game. One moment I have to stealth shit, the next it's a giant shooting gallery. Also, I get a decent way through Chapter 9 and died to some crazy bs trap that caught me off guard. When I respawn, it's almost towards the beginning of the whole damn chapter lol. Fuck this game. I wanted to beat it before tomorrow so I could trade it in to Gamestop, but I think I'm just going to trade it in and not finish the game.

Just hit Chapter 9 and honestly, this game is starting to wear thin. It's like Mikami couldn't decide what he wanted to do with the game. One moment I have to stealth shit, the next it's a giant shooting gallery. Also, I get a decent way through Chapter 9 and died to some crazy bs trap that caught me off guard. When I respawn, it's almost towards the beginning of the whole damn chapter lol. Fuck this game. I wanted to beat it before tomorrow so I could trade it in to Gamestop, but I think I'm just going to trade it in and not finish the game.

Because a game should only do one thing right?

And lol how did you die to that trap? And even if you did, the frankly generous checkpoint system means you're only sent back to the start of the room.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Because a game should only do one thing right?

No, but consistency goes a long way to legitimizing a game. That's the reason why I have more respect for Resident Evil 4 than TEW. RE4 stayed consistent throughout the entire game with you controlling Leon and even with it being pure action, the game tayed tense nd enjoyable. In TEW, it's not consistent and all and constantly takes me out of the atmosphere from moving slowly through the dark, scared I'm gonna get jumped from behind, to giving me a shitload of ammo and turning into a scene from Uncharted. Also, considering I'm seeing a lot of people say the game turns into shit past Chapter 10 and on, yeah, I don't think I'm going to miss anything not finishing the game. At least the good parts of it I played can stay in my memory.

No, but consistency goes a long way to legitimizing a game. That's the reason why I have more respect for Resident Evil 4 than TEW. RE4 stayed consistent throughout the entire game with you controlling Leon and even with it being pure action, the game tayed tense nd enjoyable. In TEW, it's not consistent and all and constantly takes me out of the atmosphere from moving slowly through the dark, scared I'm gonna get jumped from behind, to giving me a shitload of ammo and turning into a scene from Uncharted. Also, considering I'm seeing a lot of people say the game turns into shit past Chapter 10 and on, yeah, I don't think I'm going to miss anything not finishing the game. At least the good parts of it I played can stay in my memory.

Each area is consistent in it's theme, the scenes that require stealth are tense in the right sense, once you clear that area it switches things up so that you're not doing the same thing throughout the entire chapter. A sort of up and down curve I suppose, hell even the old survival horror games had a mix of action and slow moments, limited only by technology of the time.

Actually people only really have only really agree to complaints about chapter 11 and 12, after that is fine. But sure, I can understand that this isn't the kind of game that is easy to beat for anyone.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Each area is consistent in it's theme, the scenes that require stealth are tense in the right sense, once you clear that area it switches things up so that you're not doing the same thing throughout the entire chapter. A sort of up and down curve I suppose, hell even the old survival horror games had a mix of action and slow moments, limited only by technology of the time.

Actually people only really have only really agree to complaints about chapter 11 and 12, after that is fine. But sure, I can understand that this isn't the kind of game that is easy to beat for anyone.

It's not that the game is hard, it's honestly piss easy with some standard Japanese jank on the side. It just doesn't come together for me thematically the way it has for other people. Different strokes and all that jazz.

KorrZ

Was a bit disappointed with the chapter 10 boss after people saying how difficult it was. I tossed 2 grenades and a few explosive bolts/sniper rounds and he was dead. He didn't even come close to hitting me once.

Dingotech

I'm almost at the end of my no upgrades run.

Leaving only Nightmare and AKUMU trophies left.

I'm still trying to work out if I'm motivated enough to try AKUMU... I'd love to attempt it but I foresee a lot of stress!!

Aaaaand the platinum trophy is mine!

Finishing the game on akumu mode was the last trophy I needed and it honestly wasn't even that bad so long as you took things fairly slow and didn't rush. You guessed it - chapters 6 and 11 were the toughest parts. All I can say is thank God for the freeze bolts and especially the shock bolts. So now I've finished the game 5 times and am currently on my 6th run because holy shit the brass knuckles are GOD LIKE! Seriously, just how damn satisfying are they to use! Once I've finished this play through I feel like I could keep on replaying the game but I don't think I will - it's just so unbelievably addictive and funnily enough the last time I kept on playing a game so many times over and over again without getting sick of it was Resident Evil 4. Anyway, the game kicks major ass. No it's not perfect, but I still absolutely loved it and really hope we get a sequel!

Bydobob

Just hit Chapter 9 and honestly, this game is starting to wear thin. It's like Mikami couldn't decide what he wanted to do with the game. One moment I have to stealth shit, the next it's a giant shooting gallery.

Was going to post something similar. It's a mishmash of ideas that don't quite gel as a whole. It's not so much the stealth/shooting parts, but the contrast in styles. You've got earthy, zombie firefights juxtaposed with Lynchian psychological passages featuring monsters from the bowels of hell. It's as if Mikami didn't have the confidence to see out his vision and sought refuge in past glories. The result is frequently awkward.

On Chapter 15 now and I'm enjoying it nonetheless. You can't accuse the game of lacking entertainment or value for money.

So I was finally able to progress to Ch11 without crashing! My thoughts on this chapter...oh geez, please don't be turning into RE6 why are there hordes with guns coming out of a gate ouch ouch. Also I don't think they tested some the incidental dialogue:

"Back here again? I must be losing my mind" (umm I've been here dozens of times now this should be accepted)

"Watch out, there could be more of them around" (just as three barge through a door, no shit Sherlock)

I did just get through the
mannequin warehouse
and that was very well done as a simple stealth sequence though.

So I was finally able to progress to Ch11 without crashing! My thoughts on this chapter...oh geez, please don't be turning into RE6 why are there hordes with guns coming out of a gate ouch ouch. Also I don't think they tested some the incidental dialogue:

"Back here again? I must be losing my mind" (umm I've been here dozens of times now this should be accepted)

"Watch out, there could be more of them around" (just as three barge through a door, no shit Sherlock)

I did just get through the
mannequin warehouse
and that was very well done as a simple stealth sequence though.
"I knew it" when entering the save area in some of the later chapters is also kind of stupid. But then again, I'm not sure if Castellanos is supposed to be that smart anyway :p

How do you get the crossbow "Full House" trophy? Does it only count if I kill them in the same area?

Also, is the Haunted horde in Chapter 2's ending infinitely spawning?

How do you get the crossbow "Full House" trophy? Does it only count if I kill them in the same area?

It seems so. If you want to go for the trophy, it's at least a good place to do that. I'm not sure about your first question though.

It seems so. If you want to go for the trophy, it's at least a good place to do that. I'm not sure about your first question though.

Well because as I understand it the trophy is to kill 5 enemies each with 5 of the bolt types right? I just assumed that like the other similar kill trophies I don't have to kill them in a single go, but that might not be the case?

The horde at the end of chapter 2 isn't infinite, I've punched em all with brass knuckles and there's definitely a finite number.

There's just a crap ton of them and when you kill some, other bodies will get up around the camp fire.

KyleCross

No, they are not. I played the demo on PC with the infinite ammo cheat turned on. They are not infinite, there's just a fuck ton of them. A ton more show up when you get noticed than are on the field, it's definitely a good 20 or more. The scripted cutscene once you go across the bridge still occurs even if you kill them all tho.

Seems I was wrong, but there should still be enough for the full house trophy. At least I've seen a video where someone achieves it in that particular area.

Gaf, I only have PS3 as of now and, despite all my resistance, I want to buy this game for it and play it now, instead of waiting until I'll get a PS4 sometime in the future. It'll be my truly last exception from the "rule" of not buying any new releases for last-gen.

So, the question is - how is PS3 version? And thanks in advance ;)

Edit: Post #13999, what a goddamn honor.

Gaf, I only have PS3 as of now and, despite all my resistance, I want to buy this game for it and play it now, instead of waiting until I'll get a PS4 sometime in the future. It'll be my truly last exception from the "rule" of not buying any new releases for last-gen.

I think the PS3 version could really ruin your experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIouMpigzB8

Game looks like a low quality twitch stream with probably the worst case of screen tearing I've seen in a game. If you don't think you can stomach that then wait till you can get a better version.

myco666

I think the PS3 version could really ruin your experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIouMpigzB8

Game looks like a low quality twitch stream with probably the worst case of screen tearing I've seen in a game. If you don't think you can stomach that then wait till you can get a better version.

Didn't look that bad when I played it on my PS3. Atleast I don't remember that amount of screen tearing. IMO the game is fine on PS3 and obviously it is way better on PS4 but if you aren't picky about framerate, resolution and occasional tearing PS3 version will be fine.

There's a pretty decent comparison in this video that highlights the obvious visual differences between the PS3 and PS4 versions. Ultimately, you're left to decide whether the tech compromise is acceptable or, arguably, if the last-gen textures suit the horror aesthetic much better in the grand scheme of things.

Amaya

Banned

Seriously get it! I love this game. Screw the graphics, I think PS3 version looks good.

No this is not a stealth game, what ever gave you that idea?

The fact that there are stealth mechanics, including a visibility system?

Granted, if we are being pedantic maybe it's more of an action game with stealth mechanics. But stealth is a large part of the gameplay and is actively encouraged.

Finally finished up this game on PS4. LOL at the last boss fight. Ending was kinda weak though.

Final thoughts: While this game was refreshing to play, there is alot of little annoyances and glitches that really hold this title back imo. I wish the story was a little deeper and the Keeper had a bigger role (maybe DLC?). I totally recommend it to any horror fan though. I am satisfied with my purchase.

Verger

Banned
Did anyone ever expect/think that the game would have managed to land at the #3 spot on the October NPD charts? :O

I sure didn't :D

Did anyone ever expect/think that the game would have managed to land at the #3 spot on the October NPD charts? :O

I sure didn't :D

Notes:
-The Evil Within: "That said, Bethesda still has to consider The Evil Within a success. It set a new record for the highest first-month sales for a release in the “survival horror” genre, according to the NPD."
-Assuming Dead Space 3 is the same genre, that sets the floor for The Evil Within at 305K

iSv6eDZlfAq6L.gif

Not a perfect game by any means, but its still a strong, lengthy single player action game that we don't get too many of, so glad its selling well. Wolfenstein did pretty well too, if I recall, which I'm happy about for similar reasons

So I'm playing the game on Nightmare mode and I'm getting my ass kicked on Chapter 3.

I have one specific doubt:
Once you get to the boss, the one with the chainsaw. Before you "activate him" there are a lot of enemies on the surroundings. What I wonder is that if I kill them all they won't appear once I activate boss? They're the ones that I'm finding annoying, not so much the chainsaw guy

Doolz

Banned
What exactly do you need to keep the game running at 60fps? Every time I pan the camera or move it drops into the 30s-40s regardless of settings. At 30, there's no issues. Running at 1080p.

4670K 4.2ghz
GTX 780 3GB
8GB G-Skill 1866
Windows 8

-MD-

So I'm playing the game on Nightmare mode and I'm getting my ass kicked on Chapter 3.

I have one specific doubt:
Once you get to the boss, the one with the chainsaw. Before you "activate him" there are a lot of enemies on the surroundings. What I wonder is that if I kill them all they won't appear once I activate boss? They're the ones that I'm finding annoying, not so much the chainsaw guy

You can kill everybody
in the level before the boss. Some of the enemies are hanging near the save point door when you enter the villiage area.

Top Bottom