• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sickbean

Finally completed it!

16hrs 40 mins, 107 deaths (on Survivor).

Overall it's been a mixed bag but I'm definitely glad of the time I spent. Really odd little game with flashes of genius.

Xpliskin

So, in Japan between October 20 and October 26, 2014 :

1.Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) – 172,348 (1,945,850)
2.Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2014 (PS3) – 81,981
3.The Evil Within (PS3) – 59,388
4.The Evil Within (PS4) – 59,204

In the US NPD, retail copies for October all platforms, listed as 3rd.

an.gif

Dat marketing budget though, and game wasn't cheap to fund (4 years in dev ?).

What exactly do you need to keep the game running at 60fps? Every time I pan the camera or move it drops into the 30s-40s regardless of settings. At 30, there's no issues. Running at 1080p.

4670K 4.2ghz
GTX 780 3GB
8GB G-Skill 1866
Windows 8

Your PC is good enough. The game is simply not optimized for 60fps. Would recommend playing at 30 fps and downsample the game instead for better IQ.

an.gif

Excellent! I will look forward to a sequel. But first give us those Kidman DLCs.

I'm on chapter 5 and I've been enjoying it a lot. I do like that it reminds me a bit of RE 4, like when it throws a new enemy at you and just expects you to figure it out. I do wish melee was a bit more of a thing though, I miss suplexing enemies and would buy it in DLC for sure.

Nemmy

I never expected this game to do well sales-wise so this is a very nice surprise. I really want a sequel to happen.

So much for survival horror being a dead genre and all that.

Lethe82

Banned
The first couple hours of the game were pretty terrible, but it slowly seemed embrace just being more and more like Resident Evil 4, been having a ton of fun the further in I get.

an.gif

Out of curiosity, what are the first and second? Shadows of Mordor and Alien?

Xpliskin

Out of curiosity, what are the first and second? Shadows of Mordor and Alien?
From the October NPD thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932551

1.NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
2.Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
3.The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)

This doesn't account for digital-only sales, and european sales (Retail & Digital).
It's "the highest-selling first month of sales for new IP in the Survival Horror genre."

Without numbers, we could try cross-checking some data:
Nintendo adds that in October, Smash Bros. sold 485,000 copies, and that it's "the best-selling handheld title so far in 2014."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-smash-bros-joins-the-nintendo-3ds-1-million-/1100-6423583/

Safe guess: the game already sold more than a million total.
awkward-nod-christian-bale-kermit-the-frog.gif

tumblr_inline_n1wq5lDZ1u1qe3jki.gif

It fucking better be.

I honestly wasn't expecting TEW to chart in the top 10 at all. Have to wonder what Bethesda's expectations were. This did better than Wolfenstein.
It's pretty ironic considering how everyone expected TEW to megabomba while Alien would do well.
Safe guess: the game already sold more than a million total.
If by "sell" you mean "ship"? Yeah

It'll take a little longer to actually sell that much to consumers, but that is pretty much a guarantee.

Curufinwe

Have there been any performance improving patches for the PS4 version since launch?

*spit water*

Oh wow okay @_@ That's crazy good isn't it?

(But why isn't SoM higher? Unless most of the sales are on the 30th of Sept and it doesn't count lol)

Mordor got most of its sales in September when it was 5th.

Playing on Nightmare now. The first five chapters haven't been all that challenging, but chapter 6 is killing me. I can't even make it to the checkpoint after the first encounter, where enemies are coming through the windows and the roof. Especially downstairs there's just too many of them. Maybe I should use my crossbow a bit more, it just seems to be way too slow since there's only little room and the enemies wave around like crazy.

Xpliskin

Not a perfect game by any means, but its still a strong, lengthy single player action game that we don't get too many of, so glad its selling well.
Well I'll be damned

AndreIguodalaShockedFaceClippers.gif

It's pretty ironic considering how everyone expected TEW to megabomba while Alien would do well.

If by "sell" you mean "ship"? Yeah

It'll take a little longer to actually sell that much to consumers, but that is pretty much a guarantee.

Been a month already, sold through is a safe guess.

Darkone

i am on Chapter 6 and the i am getting "the Evil within had stopped working" crash, can it be the GTX970 is overheating or its a common bug in the game?

i am on Chapter 6 and the i am getting "the Evil within had stopped working" crash, can it be the GTX970 is overheating or its a common bug in the game?
It rarely has to do with overheating. If your GPU overheats, it usually shows more obvious sign like BSOD, freeze, or pc/laptop shutting off.

televator

I started playing this on PS3... I was not expecting the black bars to be this thick... I'm having trouble dealing with it TBH. It feels like a nuisance. I mean c'mon, its like a third of the screen. Jeezzz!

sbkodama

I really like it when it don't fall in a bland action part like some of re4 even if it isn't often for the moment.
The only thing I don't like are the instants deaths and I would have well received a tiny qte to dodge it even if that mean some damages.

I think it mostly play, look and sound great with adventure-like motion when we don't aim, steal, traps, items to use, and beside the textures of some scenery with art, modeling, particles, lighting, animation, physic and music.

So I ordered a boxed copy. I will be able to install the game on Steam by just inserting the disc right? Or do I have to upload the code via Steam Activate and download it online?

televator

Yeah, I can't get over these thick ass bars. I just can't. I'm sure there's a great game behind the damned things, but I think the PC version after I build my next PC in a few years is my only route.

Good thing I rented. Not knocking the game, but my attention keeps coming back to how extremely thick the bars are and the feeling like my view is arbitrarily and unreasonably gimped. It takes me out of the game completely. What a shame. I was so looking forward to this.

Jingo

My advice its for not quitting on the game, at first i was like you, but you get used to the bars, dor me it was at chapter 4 i think, trust me, if you like survival horror, you dont wanna waste this cause of some stupid bars.

Nemmy

So I ordered a boxed copy. I will be able to install the game on Steam by just inserting the disc right? Or do I have to upload the code via Steam Activate and download it online?

I activated the code from the box and then followed the instructions here so it installed the game from disc and only downloaded the patch. Don't know if it was the easiest way but it did the job, the game's on my Steam and it didn't take ages to download.

Pooya

Black bars could have been tolerable if it wasn't for all the shitty cheap traps on the ground that are easily out of view under your feet. Garbage design choices in this game are not isolated, they hilariously pile on top of each other to make it that much worse. Ruined the keeper encounter for me.

Black bars could have been tolerable if it wasn't for all the shitty cheap traps on the ground that are easily out of view under your feet. Garbage design choices in this game are not isolated, they hilariously pile on top of each other to make it that much worse. Ruined the keeper encounter for me.

...Or you could look ahead before you walk. (EDIT: Like pointing downward, or turning on your lamp)

Keeper? Don't all of his traps have huge glowing red lights?

I had problems like this during the first couple of chapters but got used to it. Rarely walk into any traps anymore and basically only if they are hidden in some grass patches or if I'm running towards the screen.

kodecraft

...Or you could look ahead before you walk. (EDIT: Like pointing downward, or turning on your lamp)

Yea they do, but I have seen play throughs of people running from him with out bearings of their surroundings, they step right in it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yea they do, but I have seen play throughs of people running from him with out bearings of their surroundings, they step right in it.

I don't think it's a design flaw to punish people for not paying attention to what they're doing in a survival horror game. I don't consider that an example of why the letterbox is bad. Though I do very much think it is (at least combined with that FOV).

kodecraft

I don't think it's a design flaw to punish people for not paying attention to what they're doing in a survival horror game. I don't consider that an example of why the letterbox is bad. Though I do very much think it is (at least combined with that FOV).

I'm okay with it but I can see how it could be troublesome for people.

-MD-

He throws down big red glowing circles.

You had trouble with that?

Jingo

Finished it, Survival mode 19:30:23 ( yeah i know i suck :D) and 131 deaths, honestly i tought i had lot more since sometimes i was so frustrated that i was not trying anymore eheh

Great game, kept me on the edge all game, the only part i didnt like to much was
the bus chapter who felt really outta place
and
Final, boss, honestly what was that??? The easiest boss in the game, even sadist in chapter 3 was harder

If it wasnt for some technical issues, lack of real puzzles and a messed up story, could be a perfect game, anyway i hope it has a sequel!

The dlc that is coming is single player history?

Elitist1945

This has been added to the list of games to finish later on. Just don't have the time to invest in this game right now. I've really liked what I've played so far (which is I think up to Chapter 7?).

The Lamp

Just finished Chapter 7.

Omg
that boss fight had me a nervous wreck. They really know how to play with fear. Not only are you suffocating, you're trying to escape this asshole who infinitely respawns and sets traps around you. Pretty much the only thing that takes him out is harpoons and you can only make them from the traps he sets.

/bow Mikami

You guys weren't kidding when you said the game really opens up once you start hitting like Ch. 6 onward.

My friends would not shut the fuck up yesterday about "wow, you are the worst at camera management in this game." and "wow you are so bad" because I look at the ground a lot (it's a habit from The Last of Us and other scavenging games). I wouldn't have to look at the floor like an idiot if the field of view wasn't so narrow because of the black bars lol.

-MD-

Just finished Chapter 7.

Omg
that boss fight had me a nervous wreck. They really know how to play with fear. Not only are you suffocating, you're trying to escape this asshole who infinitely respawns and sets traps around you. Pretty much the only thing that takes him out is harpoons and you can only make them from the traps he sets.

/bow Mikami

You guys weren't kidding when you said the game really opens up once you start hitting like Ch. 6 onward.

My friends would not shut the fuck up yesterday about "wow, you are the worst at camera management in this game." and "wow you are so bad" because I look at the ground a lot (it's a habit from The Last of Us and other scavenging games). I wouldn't have to look at the floor like an idiot if the field of view wasn't so narrow because of the black bars lol.

Keeper also
drops from 2 sniper shots, makes quick work of him.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, what do I upgrade first? I've upgraded the critical and accuracy of my gun, and health, but I don't know what else to spend the points on.

Xpliskin

Just finished Chapter 7.

Omg

/bow Mikami

Yup, being on a total blackout before playing the game and fighting the Keeper pushed this game as my GOTY.

I didn't know he
could just appear anywhere where there's a safe, I remember my eyes opening wide and laughing nervously.
wide_eyed.gif

Riposte

Oh, good to know, anything else for the guns or for items?

You are going to want to upgrade how much ammo you can carry so you don't each up passing on too many bullets (you'll end up getting a lot from the lockers). Matches you'll want at 10 or 15.

Flash Bolts are really handy. You can get 2-3 sneak kills on each one after a few upgrades.

Save your max health upgrades for when you are low on health.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yup, being on a total blackout before playing the game and fighting the Keeper pushed this game as my GOTY.

I didn't know he
could just appear anywhere where there's a safe, I remember my eyes opening wide and laughing nervously.
wide_eyed.gif

I wasn't on media blackout, but there was advantages to not being as well.
I was getting nervous with some of the red herring safes around in Chapter 7 that lead up to nothing, they purposely placed some around the level to make you worried if you knew.

Oh, good to know, anything else for the guns or for items?

In general? Stocks for everything... Except maybe grenades till last.

Flashbolt - At LEAST Lv 2. this would get you 7 seconds of flash which is enough to deal with the invisible and stealth kill 2 guys.

Hand gun - Aim, Cric.This is your go to weapon for small encounters and precision aim.

Shotgun - Dmg, Cric. This is your go to weapon for big encounters and bosses.

Sniper - Dmg or Cric, reload, rate of fire. Few encounters would need this compared to the others but definitely good to have. It's also good to dump some points into reload and RoF because the sniper is the slowest in both and every bit helps.

Jyester

Finally finished it! Took my sweet time. 19:11:32 with 94 deaths. I imagine my obsessive scouring of the environments for scraps added quite a bit to my playtime. I ended up really liking the game. Currently debating whether I should start a NG+ or pick up a PC copy on the cheap.

How did everyone spend their green goop? I first upgraded my sprint twice, and put everything else into my weaponry. Maxed firepower for my handgun, shotgun and harpoon bolts. I also loved the incendiary bolts. These were DLC/Fighting Chance exclusive? Pretty dumb. Never used the poison bolts.

I remember reading people not liking ch. 15. I thought the game's combat was terrific, so I really did not mind.
The first sections with the haunted were reasonably challenging and fun. The two keepers I just bombarded with grenades, explosive bolts and fully leveled harpoons. They didn't last long. The Ruvik boss fight was amazingly over the top, but I'd already come to terms that this game is not the type of survival horror it claims to be.

Actually, I found the boss in ch. 14 much more of a bother than the one in ch. 15. I think many people will have a different experience, but I felt this was really a point where the FOV works against the player.
I was so focused on the monster escaping into the vents, I was constantly looking slightly up as he disappeared. This left me vulnerable to the slugs and made it almost impossible to see the boss sitting cloaked against the wall. It may have partly been my fault for not realizing this sooner, but only as I was finally one-hit killed after five deaths I realized he was still in the room. After that, it was pretty fun.

I think you'll remain underwhelmed with the difficulty on Survival, I didn't even experience my first death until chapter 5 and I ended up with about 47 total in the whole playthrough, only half a dozen or so to non-boss enemies. Nightmare is where it's at though, it's a nice step up but having the knowledge of clearing the game already makes it a bit easier, I think Nightmare should've been a default difficulty because it would've been super intense the first time through.

I can't really agree with the roll though, that'd really cheese the game imo. And enemies can climb over walls they just seem to get stuck on fences in chapter 2.
I think the issue lies with the way the game presents itself. I entered a media blackout pretty early on, but went into the game thinking this would be a RE1 type of game fitted to modern standards. In ch. 2, I did not yet get the match mechanic of shooting the knees and burning the haunted, so once I ran out of ammo and realized how weak my melee attack was, I reckoned running to be the best option. Running into traps made this not much fun. In ch. 3, I actually overestimated the sadist, not realizing I could very well blast him with the arsenal I had.

After I started playing RE4 style and salvaging any ammo I could find, I did not encounter much trouble apart from some obtuse design, including my first encounter the Keeper. I went in without any ammo, had no option but to disarm traps for scrap parts, and got killed over and over. That wasn't much fun.

All in all, a great game with great combat, set pieces and fucked up imagery. Not scary at all, but very tense. The story was pretty shitty, but the ending was satisfying enough in comparison to what came before it.

Give me a polished sequel, and I'll be in heaven.

Top Bottom